USC or Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Co Luu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Topic.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
USC doesn't have more "prestige" than other PT programs. It just received more positive feedback in some peer survey that was conducted a couple of years ago. It makes absolutely no sense to me that anyone would want to pay that much to attend a program simply because of a survey, when going there makes absolutely no difference in terms of how much you will be paid as a PT in the future nor the quality of education that you get. Here is the methodology used for that US News PT school ranking: http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...3/11/methodology-best-health-schools-rankings

I know an amazing PT in a sports clinic who works with olympic athletes. She graduated from LLU a few years ago and thought it was the perfect program for her to prepare for sports PT. They have a major emphasis in manual therapy. She also said that on her clinical rotations in school, lots of PTs commented on how well prepared LLU students were compared to students from other SoCal programs, especially in sports, orthopedics, and manual therapy.

Going to USC would mean paying 165k tuition for an imagined "prestige" that will mean absolutely nothing once you graduate. When you are a PT, no one will care which school you graduated from, but you will definitely care about that debt burden hanging over your head for years to come.

Incidentally, when I was applying I seriously considered LLU, but even they were too expensive for me! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks okramango for providing the methodology behind the ranking.

You might get some sort of boost in self-esteem by going to the top ranked program in the country, but try to think about your life 3-4 years from now when the time to pay off those loans comes. You will presumably be 25-26, most likely looking for a new place to live, possibly with a significant other, and may be ready to take that next step in life (if you haven't already). If that loan debt would not halt any plans you have for your life post grad, then by all means go to USC if that is what you really want to do. What exactly is the difference in tuition/yr between USC and LLU?

Members don't see this ad :)
USC doesn't have more "prestige" than other PT programs. It just received more positive feedback in some peer survey that was conducted a couple of years ago. It makes absolutely no sense to me that anyone would want to pay that much to attend a program simply because of a survey, when going there makes absolutely no difference in terms of how much you will be paid as a PT in the future nor the quality of education that you get. Here is the methodology used for that US News PT school ranking: http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...3/11/methodology-best-health-schools-rankings

I know an amazing PT in a sports clinic who works with olympic athletes. She graduated from LLU a few years ago and thought it was the perfect program for her to prepare for sports PT. They have a major emphasis in manual therapy. She also said that on her clinical rotations in school, lots of PTs commented on how well prepared LLU students were compared to students from other SoCal programs, especially in sports, orthopedics, and manual therapy.

Going to USC would mean paying 165k tuition for an imagined "prestige" that will mean absolutely nothing once you graduate. When you are a PT, no one will care which school you graduated from, but you will definitely care about that debt burden hanging over your head for years to come.

Incidentally, when I was applying I seriously considered LLU, but even they were too expensive for me! :)

Wow, thank you for the link to the US News PT school ranking methodology. I didn't know the rankings were based on surveys...
Where did you end up going to if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks okramango for providing the methodology behind the ranking.

You might get some sort of boost in self-esteem by going to the top ranked program in the country, but try to think about your life 3-4 years from now when the time to pay off those loans comes. You will presumably be 25-26, most likely looking for a new place to live, possibly with a significant other, and may be ready to take that next step in life (if you haven't already). If that loan debt would not halt any plans you have for your life post grad, then by all means go to USC if that is what you really want to do. What exactly is the difference in tuition/yr between USC and LLU?

Well, I haven't thought so far ahead but having less debt is always a plus...
The difference is ... 38k/yea for LLU and 55k/year for USC.
I think I might be heading to LLU, I will do more research to finalize my decision!

Thank you both for your input!

Wow, thank you for the link to the US News PT school ranking methodology. I didn't know the rankings were based on surveys...
Where did you end up going to if you don't mind me asking?

I applied to CSUN, NAU, and TWU, got into all of them, and am attending TWU with a scholarship for instate tuition (I'm a Cali resident). It's a fantastic program with one of the lowest costs of tuition I could find. I was willing to move out of state for school in order to save myself the debt burden later, and I don't regret it. :)

I applied to CSUN, NAU, and TWU, got into all of them, and am attending TWU with a scholarship for instate tuition (I'm a Cali resident). It's a fantastic program with one of the lowest costs of tuition I could find. I was willing to move out of state for school in order to save myself the debt burden later, and I don't regret it. :)

TWU? Where is this place and what's the name of this university?
Regarding your scholarship, did you receive it upon going to the university or did you have to apply for that scholarship elsewhere?

Texas Woman's University (Dallas is very different from Northern CA! :) )
The school offered the scholarship, which I applied for once I was accepted. Besides the instate tuition, I got another separate $1,000 scholarship, plus another $1,000 state grant for nonresidents, all of which I applied to through my school. Texas schools are a lot better than CA schools in offering scholarships! Incidentally, NAU (Northern Arizona) also offered me in state tuition, for the first year, at the time of offering me the acceptance. I think there are several programs that offer this type of thing but don't advertise it, so you have to ask PT programs individually. I don't know of any CA programs that offer significant scholarships, though.

Good luck with your interviews and decision process!

Texas Woman's University (Dallas is very different from Northern CA! :) )
The school offered the scholarship, which I applied for once I was accepted. Besides the instate tuition, I got another separate $1,000 scholarship, plus another $1,000 state grant for nonresidents, all of which I applied to through my school.

I'm hoping to attend a school in Texas as well should I get good news soon (I'm a NY resident). They had a scholarship to let us qualify for in-state tuition, but didn't mention a separate scholarship or state grant for non-residents. Are those specific to TWU or would you happen to know the names of them so that other students can apply?

Last edited:
I can only speak for LLU because I go there. Go to a school that you will feel most comfortable and is a good fit for you. I actually got into CSU SAC that is 22k cheaper but I went to LLU because I knew the school was a perfect fit for me. The life style at Loma Linda, making man whole, chill environment, and the relational professor sold me to pick LLU over CSU SAC. Now granted that USC is way more expensive, that is something I would reconsider. At the end of the day, a degree from USC or LLU is the samething.. except the money you owe back. If you feel USC is a good fit for you then go there. I would hate for someone to pick a school thats cheaper but ends up hating the program hence leaving (sorry super run on sentence). I love my school, my cohort, and LLU is big on sports/health. We have several professors here that specialized in orthopedics. Our hands on therapy is excellent. Best of Luck.

I'm hoping to attend a school in Texas as well should I get good news soon (I'm a NY resident). They had a scholarship to let us qualify for in-state tuition, but didn't mention a separate scholarship or state grant for non-residents. Are those specific to TWU or would you happen to know the names of them so that other students can apply?

It was just one generalized scholarship application through TWU specifically. When you submit it, you automatically apply to any scholarships or grants that you qualify for. Once you are accepted to the program, they guide you on how to apply for the scholarships. I didn't even know about the nonresident grant until I got it! Since it was a state grant, I'm sure people from other TX schools could get it too, but I don't know the application process through other schools. Your program should guide you in that, though. The scholarships themselves were specific to TWU. Good luck!

It was just one generalized scholarship application through TWU specifically. When you submit it, you automatically apply to any scholarships or grants that you qualify for. Once you are accepted to the program, they guide you on how to apply for the scholarships. I didn't even know about the nonresident grant until I got it! Since it was a state grant, I'm sure people from other TX schools could get it too, but I don't know the application process through other schools. Your program should guide you in that, though. The scholarships themselves were specific to TWU. Good luck!
Awesome, thank you for the info! Much appreciated.

I can only speak for LLU because I go there. Go to a school that you will feel most comfortable and is a good fit for you. I actually got into CSU SAC that is 22k cheaper but I went to LLU because I knew the school was a perfect fit for me. The life style at Loma Linda, making man whole, chill environment, and the relational professor sold me to pick LLU over CSU SAC. Now granted that USC is way more expensive, that is something I would reconsider. At the end of the day, a degree from USC or LLU is the samething.. except the money you owe back. If you feel USC is a good fit for you then go there. I would hate for someone to pick a school thats cheaper but ends up hating the program hence leaving (sorry super run on sentence). I love my school, my cohort, and LLU is big on sports/health. We have several professors here that specialized in orthopedics. Our hands on therapy is excellent. Best of Luck.

Thank you for your input! Much appreciated.
I think I am most likely leaning towards LLU as of now!

I agree with the comments above. I have spoken to many physical therapists and all of them tell me that rankings do not matter. Since all schools are accredited, they should have very similar education as it is standardized. The most important aspect of PT school is the clinical experiences you get out of it. Also, they recommended to go somewhere cheaper as opposed to going to an expensive school because you still get the same degree. That's why one of my schools I am applying to in NYC has about $15-20k out of state but after a year I can get instate which is $10k a year. So literally one could walk away with under $50k of debt! But good luck with your choices!