USC MSW Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dahresto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals/whatever you identify as;

I've been on these forums for a while now (since undergrad) and now currently a grad student at USC's MSW Program. Reading some of the questions and answers on these forums has actually been very helpful for me. It's great how there are so many specialized individuals willing to share their experiences with others, and hopefully I can do the same in the near future. Good luck to everyone still on the grind.

Very Respectfully,
Salvador Hernandez

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Salvador, I am Allison and a native Californian living in Arizona. I desperately want to go home and found USC's MSW program interesting. I have always wanted to go to USC considering I was literally born there (my mom gave birth to me at the Medical Center) and thought it would be a cool full circle sort of thing. Tips on crafting an appealing application? I had a two month internship at a now defunct social service agency, Bachelors of interdisciplinary Studies in Creative Writing and Psychology (my capstone was on the benefits of narrative therapy.) My GPA barely scratches a 3.0 I feel like I should do some sort of postbacc and get buku amounts of work experience to compensate for my general lack of academic prowess. (I have been a generally sick person since birth which doesnt bode well for long term educational aspiration but I am relatively stable now.)

Hi Salvador, I am Allison and a native Californian living in Arizona. I desperately want to go home and found USC's MSW program interesting. I have always wanted to go to USC considering I was literally born there (my mom gave birth to me at the Medical Center) and thought it would be a cool full circle sort of thing. Tips on crafting an appealing application? I had a two month internship at a now defunct social service agency, Bachelors of interdisciplinary Studies in Creative Writing and Psychology (my capstone was on the benefits of narrative therapy.) My GPA barely scratches a 3.0 I feel like I should do some sort of postbacc and get buku amounts of work experience to compensate for my general lack of academic prowess. (I have been a generally sick person since birth which doesnt bode well for long term educational aspiration but I am relatively stable now.)

Hi Allison,
My GPA wasn't the greatest (3.5), I had little experience in the field (Worked at a Vet Center for veterans), but I think what got me in was my statement of purpose (SOP) as well as my academic references. Be prepared to set aside some time for the SOP and just have patience and be confident.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Salvador,

I'm Evangelia, and I'm a recent Psychology grad from Emory University in Atlanta. I am planning to obtain my MSW and become an LCSW (likely working with adults or teens). I was accepted to MSW programs at USC, NYU, and Columbia. I ruled out Columbia because I didn't receive any financial aid, and their program was more policy-based, while I'm more clinically-oriented. However, it's been such a difficult decision to choose between NYU and USC...I'm strongly leaning toward USC as I received slightly more financial aid, and my partner will be relocating to LA anyway. I'm originally from NJ, so NYC would be more convenient, but I'd honestly love to live in California :)

Anyway, I read on a different thread that you did the Adult Mental Health and Wellness track at USC. Would you be able to offer me any insights into the quality of the program? I've read some very mixed reviews...Do you feel that it prepared you well for clinical work and that there are good job prospects in LA? How were your internship placements?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post!

- Evangelia