USC Keck vs Weill Cornell Medical School for ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diejnal2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am currently choosing a medical school, would really appreciate any advice.

Background: I am from LA. I have worked with ENT's for the past few years, and I am very interested in ENT (fairly competitive I hear). I'm not 100% certain, but at the moment I think it would be nice to do residency/or long-run settle down in California somewhere (Los Angeles perhaps especially).

Cornell Pros:
Cornell has a better reputation + research ability at Memorial Sloan Kettering/mentors at MSK would make me stand out? This may help me be more competitive to match into ENT programs, both in NYC and even back at California? (though i don't know specifics, if someone has opinions on ENT at Cornell/NYP)

USC Pros:
I get to make friends and build a community in LA, which may serve me well if I choose to stay in LA long term (+ slight advantage matching at USC residency). Making friends seems valuable to me at the med school stage in a given area, as when you get older in residency, you might not be able to make as many friends.

I feel like they're both good schools, so I'm not worried about quality of education. For several reasons, finance/tuition+ cost of living the same/irrelevant. Based on my potential specialty goals and/or location prefs, do you have any advice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't really matter- you'll have plenty of opportunity if you do well at either school.

If you feel confident you want to stay in LA, I would go to USC.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a near universal answer to such questions: Where will you personally do the best?

The attributes of certain departments are essentially irrelevant for medical school.. If New York weather would depress you leading to poor clinical grades and rotation evaluations, go somewhere else. If "California lifestyle" would distract you, go somewhere else.

That is 99% of it.

Reactions: 3 users
Also, if it’s that close, go to whichever one will cause you to take our fewer loans. You’re not talking about going to either Harvard or a Caribbean school.

Reactions: 1 user