USC Keck vs Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick U

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw another USC Keck vs Tulane from 2008, but I was hoping for a more up-to-date comparison of the two schools since Tulane is much further removed from Katrina and Keck has seemed to climb in rankings.

USC Keck
Pros
+ Improve my Spanish speaking abilities
+ LA County Hospital
+ Easier change from my hometown in SoCal to Los Angeles
+ Closer to friends and family
+ Well-known on west coast (when I mention my choices EVERYONE goes “ooooo USC”)
+ Ample research available
+ Match to a lot of CA residencies (where I’d ultimately like to end up)
+ Alumni system at USC overall seem to take care of their own, seems similar at USC Keck
+ USC athletics
+ I can still go to the beach and weather is great

Cons
- CoA is astronomical (LA rent + transportation is ridiculous)
- Driving in LA everyday
- Area around campus can be rough
- LA is less exciting to me personally
- Students seem to be significantly less fraternal and much more invested in their studies
- Fewer student run clinics (therefore maybe less leadership opportunities + clinical practice?)

Tulane
Pros
+ Tons of clinical opportunities with the abundance of student run health clinics
+ Administration seems very receptive to student feedback
+ Super social student body (block parties, everyone seems to know each other well and enjoy spending time with one another)
+ New Orleans comes off as a fun city and really culturally vibrant with music, food and bars
+ Truly a unique patient population
+ Students all seemed satisfied with their education experience (I think I’d really enjoy my time in New Orleans as well)
+ Faculty I met were extraordinarily friendly and seemed willing to engage with medical students
+ High CoA, but not quite as high as USC

Cons
- Match list is obviously less California heavy
- The city of New Orleans can be pretty desolate/rough in areas
- Far away from family and friends
- Research seemed to be an afterthought… (I would like to perform some clinical research for both personal enjoyment and maybe even CV booster? Not sure how important it is once in medical school)
- Lack of structured mentorship?
- I’ve heard career/academic counseling is lacking?
- Competing with LSU for rotations in 3rd year
- Prestige? Not sure where Tulane would sit with PDs

Overall, I’d say my head is saying USC but my heart says Tulane. USC just seems to be a more structured program with more emphasis on research and matches very frequently to California residencies, albeit likely because of a regional bias. However, Tulane came across as a better fit to me and would be a really cool change of scenery for me. If it helps at all, as of right now I see myself choosing a surgical subspecialty of some sort.

Any advice or suggestions are really appreciated! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.