USC Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would have also thought that the school would mention a dress code to us over the summer. So we can buy any needed attire. Does this mean no jeans or tennis shoes? :confused:

You don't dress in jeans or tennis shoes in a pharmacy, why would school be in any different?

Train you like you fight. You're not an undergraduate anymore, you're a professional. Thus, you need to dress the part.

You can get really nice business attire for cheap at places like Ross and outlet malls... I put together a really nice ensemble for just a bit over $100, it is do-able, especially if you wear common sizes and such.

Members don't see this ad.

no dress code in class, but there is a dress code in clinical rotations

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes every Pharmacy school enforces Professional dress code.. Its nothing serious but they just expect you to dress fromal and maintain the school's professional environment!!!!!!!!!!

Girls no short skirts, inner wear should not be showing, no sleeve less tops...

Guys nice shirts and pants, no shorts above knee level and everyone must wear cover toe shoes...

You know simple dress codes like that... They dont mean that you should go shopping for corporate dress clothes... Just wear a professional attire like you were going to work.. becasue you are technically employed by the school.. You have to represent the school and stuff!!!!!!!!

You haven't been to a lecture yet, have you.

While it would be nice if there were some sort of dress code for modesty, people pretty much wear whatever. I don't know how many visible bra straps I've seen, short shorts, skirts, etc. On halloween I was embarrassed to be in class, but hey, professional students are just older kids. Decorum just isn't what it used to be. (and yes, I can be a stick in the mud at times.)

Hey everyone,

If anyone has questions regarding Seaver, let me know.

Also, for anybody living in Seaver this year, join the FB group for residents: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113671886764

I'll be living at Seaver next year and I have a couple questions :)

About how many pharmacy students live in Seaver? Are we put in the same area (floor)?

Also, food. Is there a cafeteria? If so, how's the food? (health/taste?).

is anyone going to USC graduate school orientation on August 17th (not the departmental orientation)?

is anyone going to USC graduate school orientation on August 17th (not the departmental orientation)?

I thought USC Pharmacy told us to not go to that.

Seaver does have a cafeteria, but it closes at 3pm. I don't know what you'd do for dinner. I don't mind the food at seaver, but I dont' eat it everyday either. I'm sure, like most things, it gets old after awhile. The selection is not that great. The cafeteria at UH has more variety, but they don't give student discounts or anything.

I'll let Rdang go into housing issues, I'm not familiar with that.

coincidentally i just received an email today from Jim saying we dont have to go

Members don't see this ad :)
This will sound odd, but here's some background. Each year the three fraternities on campus hold a club event at the beginning of the school year to kick off our respective recruitment/rush periods. As a fraternity president I have to help pick the club, but have absolutely no idea about the LA club scene as I've never actually been to one. Bare in mind the other two fraternity presidents are also supposed to help pick, but I thought I'd get some ideas from you guys, since my knowledge in this area is severely lacking.

Things to consider:

Proximity
Price
Neighborhood

This is a free for you event, so that means we foot the bill.

anyone interested in purchasing the LOT 71 parking permit? LOT 71 is one of the parking lots near the pharmacy school and medical school. Anyway, I have one available and don't need it. Please PM me if any of you is interested. Thanks!

anyone interested in purchasing the LOT 71 parking permit? LOT 71 is one of the parking lots near the pharmacy school and medical school. Anyway, I have one available and don't need it. Please PM me if any of you is interested. Thanks!

Last I checked, they're non-transferable. Since the semester hasn't started yet, I'd suggest seeing if they'll give you a refund. When they're issued you have to provide the license plate #, make, and model of the vehicle it'll be on. If it's not on that vehicle, it's not valid and the vehicle is subject to citation. I don't know how likely it is to happen, but I know how sucky it'll be if it does.

HI.

I recently got a parking permit via mail, and the permit holder information says something about having the IDentity Zip Tag and it has to be displayed at all times. What is it and how do i get it?? (it wasn't in the mail btw)

THanks.

HI.

I recently got a parking permit via mail, and the permit holder information says something about having the IDentity Zip Tag and it has to be displayed at all times. What is it and how do i get it?? (it wasn't in the mail btw)

THanks.

what lot?

Mine is LOT 71, which is pretty far from the PSC building. And I don't think we need the identity zip tag.

For those of you who are planning to park in lot 71, do you have university housing?

Hey
I have a series of questions about USC..SOP
How safe is the school surrounding and the residential housing.

I hear its not in an incredible neighborhood.

Also how bad is the LA gang problem affecting students around.

Also where do you get to do ur rotations, is it close by and what if you dont have a car can you ride with someone and how is the transportation system in LA.

Also r there any other concerns and safety issue. I was reading this thread and a girl rejected usc offer to go to UCSD, just becos of the environment.

Is it that bad.

Thanks

Hey

Also where do you get to do ur rotations, is it close by and what if you dont have a car can you ride with someone and how is the transportation system in LA.

Also r there any other concerns and safety issue. I was reading this thread and a girl rejected usc offer to go to UCSD, just becos of the environment.

Is it that bad.

Thanks

No kidding, UCSD is in La Jolla, practically on the beach.

I don't think there's a single "environment" better than UCSD's.

No kidding, UCSD is in La Jolla, practically on the beach.

I don't think there's a single "environment" better than UCSD's.
:thumbup::thumbup:

UCSD is in an absolute dream location if you're a laid-back type. If you're more into the metropolitan scene, then USC is probably a better choice. I'm kinda iffy about USC's location too, but I still really want to go!

:thumbup::thumbup:

UCSD is in an absolute dream location if you're a laid-back type. If you're more into the metropolitan scene, then USC is probably a better choice. I'm kinda iffy about USC's location too, but I still really want to go!

It's got great SCUBA. That's probably the one big "outdoors" thing I do, but since it requires an ocean (Forget SCUBA in a lake, yuck), and being that you can throw a rock into the Pacific (nearly) from La Jolla, it's perrrrrfect. There's some bad-ass night life too, not too far from campus, so I dunno, it's not like it's completely isolated.

I wasn't dogging USC's geography, though, by any means. It's awesome, much like UCSF, for big city types like my wife and me. I have the bad, bad horrific feeling though that I won't be able to take an acceptance to SC because almost without a doubt she's going to be in law school up here, and there's no chance that we'd want to run two households while we're both in professional schools (ouch!). not to mention distance... but that's something we've dealt with a lot before.

This is a question for current USC pharmacy students.

Besides taking the 18 unit course load, I also plan to join a Pharmacy club/organization (and be somewhat involved). I also want to join the USC club soccer team which practices 2 times a week and have games on the weekends (sometimes having to travel pretty far...San Diego, and even Alabama).

This is probably my last chance to play competitive soccer...and I just want to know if I realistically have the time to play on the team, participate in a pharmacy club, and still do well in my pharmacy courses.

Note: For my undergrad years at UCSD, I had a ridiculous amount of free time...probably enough to play on 2 teams ><

Hey

Is it that bad.

Thanks

I haven't had any problems with the environment the last 2 years. On campus has been very safe, and the borders are fairly tame as well. There might be the occassional vagrant, but not really anything terrible. Sure, it's not UCSD as amply described by other posters, but it's tolerable. Now that's not to say I'd live in the houses within 1 mile of the school, but Alhambra has been great and the commute is 15 minutes, 20 with traffic. I'm walking distance to the movies, restaurants, grocery stores, etc (literally <4 blocks to all of them) I'm a block from a park that we take the kids to, and I live on a tree lined street. I couldn't really ask for a much better environment for being that close to metro LA. In the end you have to find your level of tolerance, but I wouldn't make any judgements without looking at campus (especially considering where you'll be on campus and the hours we keep.)

As for having a vehicle, carpooling, etc. I know people that ride their bikes to campus, take the bus, carpool, etc. It's difficult, but doable. As for doing it through rotations, it's probably tough, but I doubt it'd get any better without a car at another SOP, so I think that's probably a non-issue. You could do most of you rotations on/near campus, but not all, and certainly not if you want a decent variety of preceptors, etc.

Hope that provides some of what you were looking for.

Just wondering...anyone not received their permits yet?

Mine was "issued" a while back...but I still haven't received it in the mail...

Anyhow, I called transnet and they told me the last batch was mailed earlier this week...hopefully mine is in that batch....

I received mine last week.

I didn't receive that identity zip thing either though.

Just wondering...anyone not received their permits yet?

Mine was "issued" a while back...but I still haven't received it in the mail...

Anyhow, I called transnet and they told me the last batch was mailed earlier this week...hopefully mine is in that batch....

Hey Frutips did you get your permit? I didn't get mine either! I called the post office to complain and they said they'd "keep an eye out for it." Whatever that means. And the customer service rep for USC transportation said she was unable to tell me when my permit was sent out - "sometime between August 1st and August 7th." The point is it's been a week and I haven't received mine.

Does anyone know if we have to wear professional attire to orientation, or can we just wear jeans? I know for the white coat ceremony it's professional attire, I just want to know if we have to dress up all week!

Hey Frutips did you get your permit? I didn't get mine either! I called the post office to complain and they said they'd "keep an eye out for it." Whatever that means. And the customer service rep for USC transportation said she was unable to tell me when my permit was sent out - "sometime between August 1st and August 7th." The point is it's been a week and I haven't received mine.

Just to update...I finally received mine on saturday 8/15...so I guess it was the last batch that were sent out...I have the permit sent to my apartment by school, so if you haven't got received yet and your mailing address is outside of the LA area, maybe you'll get it by monday or tuesday...but I would definitely call them by on weds if you still got nothing.

Edit:
No ID tag was in the envelope, just the direction and the small permit...
As for attire...not sure...something non-formal...
Anyone going to the monday orientation (usc main campus)?

Last edited:
When you guys receive your permits, can you let us know if you received the identity zip sticker thing. (it looks like a few of us didn't receive it, and it is mandatory).

What are you guys going to wear on Tueday's orientation? It's not formal wear is it? I'm gonna go with jeans/dress shirt.

Only the white coat ceremony required professional attire. I only got the sticker permit and a single page of directions, but no identity zip tag thing. I returned the permit for a refund though, is there anything we need to bring to orientation on tuesday?

I'll be living at Seaver next year and I have a couple questions :)

About how many pharmacy students live in Seaver? Are we put in the same area (floor)?

Also, food. Is there a cafeteria? If so, how's the food? (health/taste?).

Seaver's residents are a mix of Med, Pharm, OT, and other HSC students. There are no specific floors dedicated to a specific program so we're all mixed together.

Since the Seaver Cafeteria (called the Plaza Cafe: http://web-app.usc.edu/maps/?cat=Dining&z=out#hsc) does close early, I created a Google Map that may help you find places to eat in the area - http://bit.ly/SRHmap

Also I don't think the identity tag for parking permits is required for lot 71 - only some structures require it. Anyone living in Seaver, should get a parking permit for the Biggy Parking Structure (P6).

Seaver's residents are a mix of Med, Pharm, OT, and other HSC students. There are no specific floors dedicated to a specific program so we're all mixed together.

Since the Seaver Cafeteria (called the Plaza Cafe: http://web-app.usc.edu/maps/?cat=Dining&z=out#hsc) does close early, I created a Google Map that may help you find places to eat in the area - http://bit.ly/SRHmap

Also I don't think the identity tag for parking permits is required for lot 71 - only some structures require it. Anyone living in Seaver, should get a parking permit for the Biggy Parking Structure (P6).

ahh crap, I have the Lot 71 parking permit. Think they'll let me change to p6? :(