Employment & Professional Networking US Navy Medical Service Corp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Mjova,
I've actually been looking deeply into this option as well. I think you should talk to a recruiter. See what exactly it is you'll be getting into. Just request some info on the website and a recruiter will contact you. They'll tell you your best options and help you decide if its really for you or not.
Personally, I'm highly considering this because I come from a military background. My dad was in the Navy, all my family friends are in the Navy, heck, I'm from one of the biggest military towns in the world (San Diego, CA). I've done 95% of my volunteer work at military facilities so I've seen first hand what type environment it is that OT's who join the Navy work in. It's really not a bad deal at all. You get to serve your country for a minimum of three years, get tons of experience, you could travel, your loan is repaid, and you get paid salary as well. You would start off as an Officer and I don't know what type of training (some people are turned off by the idea of boot camp) which I'm sure you'll experience to some extent. But mostly, you'll do Officer Training. If I get into the school I want, I'm highly considering this option. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking into this as well, but since I live in NYC and want to stay at home, being an Active Duty officer would not be an option since we don't have a naval base here. I am considering the Navy Reserve, however. I spoke to a recruiter and was informed that it was a 4 year commitment and since I already have my Masters in OT, I would be starting as an O-2. I didn't ask about training, but I'm assuming it will be Officer Training and not boot camp.

As an alternative, I am looking into the army. Since there's an army base in NYC, would I be required to live on base even though I'm a medical officer? I was hoping to live at home.

Hi Mjova,
I've actually been looking deeply into this option as well. I think you should talk to a recruiter. See what exactly it is you'll be getting into. Just request some info on the website and a recruiter will contact you. They'll tell you your best options and help you decide if its really for you or not.
Personally, I'm highly considering this because I come from a military background. My dad was in the Navy, all my family friends are in the Navy, heck, I'm from one of the biggest military towns in the world (San Diego, CA). I've done 95% of my volunteer work at military facilities so I've seen first hand what type environment it is that OT's who join the Navy work in. It's really not a bad deal at all. You get to serve your country for a minimum of three years, get tons of experience, you could travel, your loan is repaid, and you get paid salary as well. You would start off as an Officer and I don't know what type of training (some people are turned off by the idea of boot camp) which I'm sure you'll experience to some extent. But mostly, you'll do Officer Training. If I get into the school I want, I'm highly considering this option. Hope this helps!

I've been looking into to the military in general but this sound great. I want to do Air force Reserves or Air National Guard. I work on an Air Force Base and I'm familiar with this branch even though my dad is retired army. So what are the requirements for this program. I'm in the process of applying to OT school. It's been stressful!!!! I'm so stressed out......I'm already accepted into pre-ot at college of Saint Mary's but I should know if I'm accepted fully into the program by February 7 2014.