US 4th year electives in UK/Ireland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZAZA67401

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year US med student and was just wondering (I direct this question to those who are in UK/Ireland Med Schools) if you ever see US med students doing Senior Elective rotations in the UK or Ireland? Is that even possible or do you have a different system for clinical education?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup...seen a few US students around the Trinity College hospitals! You can spot them a mile away with their short white coats... ;)

Trinners said:
Yup...seen a few US students around the Trinity College hospitals! You can spot them a mile away with their short white coats... ;)

any idea as to how they got to do their rotations in the UK?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've certainly seen a few - I also spot them on their first days by the distinctive white coats!

Pick a hospital or medical school, work any contacts you have, but otherwise just look people up off the internet and write to them. Personal contacts probably work better than through the medical schools, because we don't really have elective rotations in the same way that you do in the US, so the system isn't really set up for it.

That said, if you go to a hospital that takes medical students, they certainly won't mind you going to their teaching sessions. You can also go the the F1 teaching sessions, which can be good.

So in summary, pick a subject, pick a place, and get writing!

ohhhhhhh....... i would so love to do an elective in England

Hi. If anyone is interested in doing the electives in Sarawak, Malaysia the person to contact is Dr Wong JS. email: [email protected] or fax to the Medical Directorate of Sarawak General Hospital: +6082-240767

Last edited: