Urology Program Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sponch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start this thread since I've had much difficulty tracking down subjective information about Uro programs. I've been told that I should apply to 5 "reach" programs, 10 programs I could reasonably match into, and 5 "backups" if there is such a thing. The problem is that there's no easy way to determine which programs are "reach" and which are "backups" or somewhere in between.

Obviously, programs like Hopkins, MGH, UCSF are the cream of the crop. Does any one here know which programs are in the middle of the pack/second tier? What about third tier? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I'm interested in programs on the west coast, southwest, and northeast but I wouldn't mind hearing about other programs as well.

Members don't see this ad.

There are third-tier Uro programs???? Wow. So, what you only need like 230s on both Steps to get interviews for these? ;)

tRmedic21 said:
There are third-tier Uro programs???? Wow. So, what you only need like 230s on both Steps to get interviews for these? ;)

there are. the university of puerto rico has a program. but you need to speak spanish fluently. i'm screwed, i can only say two more beers please and where is the bathroom.

Members don't see this ad :)
look at urologymatch.com, but take most advice with a grain of salt.

Great programs: cornell perfect program, poss downside, mostly private patients, but so what? columbia didn't like the atmosphere at interview, most of the faculty was so nice and cool, just a few ones just plain obnoxious, good training, which is sad, 'cause a few mean faculties turn a lot of good applicants away, female residents not seem very happy, didn't know why. NYU cool, but the rumour has it that not operate much doing prostatectomy with the chairman. Baylor and northwestern great programs, down side at nw is short term interactions with each faculty, so not know them well, baylor is huge and great volume. pittsburgh was a great program, very impressed at the interview, international work with chairman for 2-3 weeks/yr, I heard, great volume, penn I heard was great, but didn't get an interview, thomas jefferson was cool, but no female uro currently. ucsf was great, almost perfect program with everything, downside 2 yr gen surg, 1 year research, so only 3 yr uro. ucla I heard great things about, also didn't get interview. MGH, I heard, no so good in uro as in other disciplines, don't really know why, didn't apply there, lahey I heard was cool, didn't go to the interivew. stanford, wants to be like ucsf, volume not enough, would not go there, indiana was cool, faculty mostly really neat, friendly residents too. That's all that come to mind, hope this helps. good luck!

AngelaEastcoast said:

Great programs: cornell perfect program, poss downside, mostly private patients, but so what? columbia didn't like the atmosphere at interview, most of the faculty was so nice and cool, just a few ones just plain obnoxious, good training, which is sad, 'cause a few mean faculties turn a lot of good applicants away, female residents not seem very happy, didn't know why. NYU cool, but the rumour has it that not operate much doing prostatectomy with the chairman. Baylor and northwestern great programs, down side at nw is short term interactions with each faculty, so not know them well, baylor is huge and great volume. pittsburgh was a great program, very impressed at the interview, international work with chairman for 2-3 weeks/yr, I heard, great volume, penn I heard was great, but didn't get an interview, thomas jefferson was cool, but no female uro currently. ucsf was great, almost perfect program with everything, downside 2 yr gen surg, 1 year research, so only 3 yr uro. ucla I heard great things about, also didn't get interview. MGH, I heard, no so good in uro as in other disciplines, don't really know why, didn't apply there, lahey I heard was cool, didn't go to the interivew. stanford, wants to be like ucsf, volume not enough, would not go there, indiana was cool, faculty mostly really neat, friendly residents too. That's all that come to mind, hope this helps. good luck!

So Angie, are you uro or ent because you have a previous post stating your were a pgy-1 ent.

AngelaEastcoast said:

Angela, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free. The more the merrier.

What Angela said was pretty much sensible advice.
There are very few "third tier" urology programs, but there are a few. What you want to do is find out which programs are on probation, which programs just lost their chair, or lost a few of their attendings, and apply to one or two of those, especially if your scores are weak.
Don't worry about getting into a weak program, because there really isn't such a thing, at least not for more than a year or two at a time, and the programs are 5 or 6 years long. The standards are high because the AUA constantly evaluates all of the programs.

there are. the university of puerto rico has a program. but you need to speak spanish fluently. i'm screwed, i can only say two more beers please and where is the bathroom.

Based on what do you determine that the University of Puerto Rico is a third-thier program besides your biased and racist opinion?

Is sad to realize how much ignorance and prejudice exists in the medical community.

Based on what do you determine that the University of Puerto Rico is a third-thier program besides your biased and racist opinion?

Is sad to realize how much ignorance and prejudice exists in the medical community.

Or how much the lack of humor is prevalent in the medical community. It was a joke, get over yourself.

What Angela said was pretty much sensible advice.
There are very few "third tier" urology programs, but there are a few. What you want to do is find out which programs are on probation, which programs just lost their chair, or lost a few of their attendings, and apply to one or two of those, especially if your scores are weak.
Don't worry about getting into a weak program, because there really isn't such a thing, at least not for more than a year or two at a time, and the programs are 5 or 6 years long. The standards are high because the AUA constantly evaluates all of the programs.

Check out the open residency spots at the AUA website. Last time I looked there was one program with multiple openings-that usually means there is a problem (lost a chairman, etc). Ask urology residents at your program too--they just went through matching several years ago.

Also, remember one person's top tier may not be yours. Just make sure you will get enough OR time and get enough cases wherever you go. A VA hospital affiliation is usually great for urology training. Also, be careful of big name programs with multiple fellows. If the fellows are operating with the attending, you're not.