Urology help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently found out about Urology and fell in love with it. Problem is im a 4th year at a Caribbean school, Im a US citizen. I have a step 1 of 220. Yeah i know im pretty screwed, if not totally. However, im about to accept a research position at one of the best Urology programs in the Country working with 2 really big name urologists who turn out more papers than almost anyone or so i have been told. Do i have any shot at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you have a shot, but I'd say it's hard to say how good. I only saw FMGs at interviews at only a few bottom-tier programs BUT, on the bright side, that means that they did get interviews. The AUA lists the FMG match rate for this year at 27% which, in a glass half-full way of looking at it, is not zero, at least.

Your 220 step 1 will not help you, but, IMHO, it is not as much of a dealbreaker as your FMG status is. There is currently a Urology resident (whom I'll call "Resident X") at one of the top-tier Urology programs that scored a 21x on Step 1. Resident X is a great person, great doctor, and someone that you can tell early on will make a great urologist. Resident X will freely admit to you their Step 1 score if you talk about numbers, etc. Apparently what happened in this resident's case was that a well-known Urologist went to bat and wrote a letter that essentially said "Yes, Resident X got a 21x on Step 1. Here's why it doesn't matter:" If you can cultivate a relationship like this with one or both of the big name urologists at the program where you will be doing research, I think you will greatly improve your chances.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
It will be very very difficult. I'm not saying don't go for it, but you should have a strong backup plan in mind. Surgery is a pretty good field which isn't sealed off to FMG's, and not that terrible an alternative to urology. Your best chance is to get your name as close to first author as possible on as many papers as possible. Urology PD's are publication sluts.