Urology Competitiveness versus ENT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bronx43

Word.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how competitive it is to match into urology compared with ENT? The two seem similar as far as lifestyle, pay, and mixture of medicine and surgery. But, I couldn't find too many sources on board scores/AOA/pubs and such. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Im almost sure ENT is a bit harder to match, but still, my source is oficial numbers and stuff like that, you might want to know this from people who actually passed thorugh the matching process in both specialities.

Excuse my spelling, english isn't my first language.

actually the 2008 urology match was quite competitive, perhaps the most competitive seen in this specialty yet. 246 applicants matched out of 404 applicants who submitted lists. the AUA doesn't provide average board score etc so I'm not sure if that data is available for scrutiny

just out of curiosity does anyone know the ent #s for this past match?

Members don't see this ad :)
probably the difficulty of matching into oto vs. uro is neglible. they're both difficult to match into and attract some of the top medical students based on my experiences with people who match into both fields. the actual numbers for the aua match though is not published it's impossible to tell.

For those with experience, what's your opinion on how competitive the field will be over the next couple of years. Even more competitive?

For those with experience, what's your opinion on how competitive the field will be over the next couple of years. Even more competitive?

I'm hoping that 70% match from last year and a low % from this year will discourage people from attempting to match for 2010....

:D

I'm hoping that 70% match from last year and a low % from this year will discourage people from attempting to match for 2010....

:D

It wont discourage me, sorry.

Does anyone have further input on how much time both spend in the OR vs. clinic. Is OR time similar between the two?

I'd say they are roughly equally competitive. Similar ratio of spots to applicants, similar mean step 1 scores. That's about all you have to go by since AUA doesn't release most stats.

Both specialties are going to be hard to match into. You probably need Step 1 scores above 230 with honors needed in most clerkships your third year. YOu'll need to honor your clerkships within the specialty during the beginning of your fourth year. If you want to match at a program on the coasts, it'll generally be harder than programs in the midwest. Again, this is a broad generalization. Clearly, CCF and Northwestern are going to be competitive midwest programs. Finally, doing a little research into the speciaties is important to at least have something to talk about during your interview in regards to research.

In general when you start interviewing you'll know if you're going to match. If you get about 10 or more interviews, you'll probably end up matching. During the interview process, it's nice to see the same faces where you go. If you see the same people, it means you're part of the herd that will match.

Anyway, these arguments as to which specialty is harder to match into is somewhat inane. Going into a surgical specialty is like going into a marraige. One just knows this is the one and nothing else will do. So, if you're looking to go into a specialty because it's "easier" you'll probably be disappointed and not match at all. During the interview process, it's been fairly easy for me to tell which applicants are the ones with drive and those who got there just based on grades.