urologist IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priapoconstante

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an IMG who recently finished a Urology training in Mexico consisting in 1 year of general surgery and 4 of Urology. Does anybody know if there's any chance I could work as an urologist in Texas?, or do I need to repeat residency in this country? I heard that I could work as an urologist just by getting a medical license of the state where I wanted to work.

Members don't see this ad.

Most likley no. In order to get licensed and practice in the US, you would need to pass all parts of the USMLE and an english language test. You can get a medical license in most states after 1 year of residency, but you would then only be a general practicioner, no board certification and only primary care type medicine. While no one is actively watching whether or not you are practicing urology, no hospital or surgery center in their right mind would ever give you priviledges to practice urology and you certainly would never get any malpractice coverage. But you could write scripts for proscar and stuff like that. To practice urology you would need to repeat residency training. There only practicing urologists I know who did not repeat residency are those that have been here for 30+ years or people who came to the US for fellowships, but they were trained in Canadian residencies which are accepted in some states.

Thanks for the information. I knew it wasn't that beautiful as I thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
priapoconstante said:
Thanks for the information. I knew it wasn't that beautiful as I thought.

I know of a urologist who did not do residency or fellowship in the states, but in Europe. He was graned US board certification with the caveat that he fills an unmet need in US urology. ie, he's a bad ass!

So, if you're a bad ass urologiist and can do things that other urologists in the states cannot, then talk to the AUA.

what about all the staff docs you see at universities that are trained in the middle east and europe? they are practicing here.

wooo said:
what about all the staff docs you see at universities that are trained in the middle east and europe? they are practicing here.
Almost all of them have completed their residency training in the US.It is very rare for someone without that to get certified.In the past it was much easier for IMGs to get Urology residency spots in the US.

Hmm, considering the fact that the US the upcoming decade will run short on doctors in many rural areas (Midwest etc), wouldn´t that create a bunch of areas with "unmet need"?