Urgent Early VIRMP Submission Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Momokeen

c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had a quick question...I'm applying to laboratory animal medicine residencies through VIRMP, the application for which is due tomorrow. I was looking for a way to submit the app once I uploaded my personal statement, but there doesn't look to be an overall submit button. I'm thinking this is just because the programs have access to your application once you hit apply to each school. But I wanted to confirm this just in case. All my application materials are in, references are in, and all my programs have been added/"applied" to. I also tried to email VIRMP support, but doesn't appear that they check the email on the weekends... I also reached out to a current resident but they don't remember what the application was like. So here I am coming to SDN to hopefully get some confirmation so I'm not freaking out this whole weekend. I know I probably should have gotten this in sooner in case I had these issues, but I took NAVLE on Monday and had a presentation on Wednesday so this week I've been all over the place, but can't change it now. Anyways, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was it? I’m in the same boat!! I was just assuming that my materials were there and they could access them.
Edited to wish you luck in the process!!
If anyone else in the future comes across this wanting an answer... just have all the materials submitted by midnight est on the date they say and have your programs selected. This is all that will need to be done. Once you’ve applied the programs will have access to the most up to date information available in your packet.

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone else in the future comes across this wanting an answer... just have all the materials submitted by midnight est on the date they say and have your programs selected. This is all that will need to be done. Once you’ve applied the programs will have access to the most up to date information available in your packet.

Thanks for letting us know! I am applying to lab animal residencies as well. Hoping for the best! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, I am from Mexico and it is the first time I'm applying for a residency through the VIRMP. I just have a question, is it a good idea to apply to different specialties for residency? for example: applying for internal medicine, radiology, and emergency?

Hello everyone, I am from Mexico and it is the first time I'm applying for a residency through the VIRMP. I just have a question, is it a good idea to apply to different specialties for residency? for example: applying for internal medicine, radiology, and emergency?
That doesn't make sense to me. Residency wants to see someone who has shown dedication to the field. Too many applicants have been building experience and contacts in each of these for the program to take a chance on someone applying broadly.

That doesn't make sense to me. Residency wants to see someone who has shown dedication to the field. Too many applicants have been building experience and contacts in each of these for the program to take a chance on someone applying broadly.
Your right, I think it would be best to apply for an internship and then decide what specialty is better for me. Thank you so much.

Your right, I think it would be best to apply for an internship and then decide what specialty is better for me. Thank you so much.
Probably 99.9% of clinical residencies won’t accept you without doing an internship anyway (sometimes you even have to do multiple internships). Maybe if you have years of clinical experience there’s a slim chance, but that’s getting more and more rare I think. If you haven’t done an internship you definitely need to pursue that before applying to residencies. But yes, Lupin in exactly right...I imaging applying broadly to multiple residencies would be evident in a generic letter of intent. Residencies are very competitive with applicants who live and breathe that specialty so I can’t imagine a program accepting someone who isn’t 100% committed to that specific career path. There are major differences in ER, radiology, and IM as far as what you’d see, working hours, practice style, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Additionally most residencies (including the ones you listed) essentially require an internship beforehand so your best bet is to apply to a rotating internship that has time allotted for the specialties you're interested in.

What was it? I’m in the same boat!! I was just assuming that my materials were there and they could access them.
Edited to wish you luck in the process!!
Sorry I just saw this! For some reason I didn’t get a notification for any of the replies! Yeah just have all the materials in and you are good. Good luck to you as well!! :)

Thanks for letting us know! I am applying to lab animal residencies as well. Hoping for the best! :)
Good luck!! Does anyone know if there is a thread for residency interview offers for lab animal/other residencies? Hoping to stay up to date on when things are coming out!

Good luck!! Does anyone know if there is a thread for residency interview offers for lab animal/other residencies? Hoping to stay up to date on when things are coming out!

not that I know of but I know of some that have already come out.

not that I know of but I know of some that have already come out.
Yeah I got one the other day. Alright well I’ll just keep checking my email every 5 seconds I guess 😅