Urgent Action Needed by All Ophthalmologists to Stop Dangerous Optometric Surgery Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That argument could be made except for the fact that non-MD providers don't typically bill for less.

I could be wrong, but I would bet you bill CMS the maximum allowable. I guarantee your local ophthalmologist is. Those numbers are the same.
That's true, but they would likely cut the reimbursement if optometrists were doing the procedures. (It might lead to more procedures being done for the same total total cost to Medicare.) Additionally, if a pt. were getting everything done under one roof (by an O.D.) it would save on additional cpts and office visits caused by referring out...so it would cut down total healthcare costs unless the number of slts and yags performed went through the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

...if a pt. were getting everything done under one roof (by an O.D.)...

And there we have it: the real motivation for O.D.'s lobbying for these privileges.

Less costly to society? Gimme a break.

How do you think that new laser is getting paid for?
Most o.d. practices wouldn't be able to pay for it, unless they rented it for a day or two every month. I'm thinking the Ods performing it would mostly be confined to va's, hospitals, and omd/od offices. In these cases, the employer would be paying the person performing the procedures less.

On a sidenote, the cost to healthcare of slts has to be weighed against the costs of meds. The reimbursement is nothing spectacular as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk