UPenn vs. UTHSC (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentTenn

Reaction score
UPenn:
Pros:
  • high rank, P/F, and non-ranking could give me better chances to make it into a desirable residency
Cons:
  • far away and expensive (~90k)
UTHSC (IS):
Pros:
  • Closer to family and friends (Holidays and such), good clinical school, economical in comparison (~50k)
Cons:
  • Graded and ranked, possibly worse chance to make it to a good residency

Summary: Got accepted to both, having a hard time deciding. I don't know If I want to specialize just yet (also have no idea what type of specialty I would do but I would like to keep my options open within reason). Money is important and I feel like I know people and have a community at UTHSC and in Memphis, but I'm worried Upenn is too good to pass up.

Members don't see this ad.

Summary: Got accepted to both, having a hard time deciding. I don't know If I want to specialize just yet (also have no idea what type of specialty I would do but I would like to keep my options open within reason). Money is important and I feel like I know people and have a community at UTHSC and in Memphis, but I'm worried Upenn is too good to pass up.
it's not...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No question, UTHSC. Penn isn’t pass fail. It’s GPA. You can go read about the student that committed suicide last year. Admin swept it under the rug. Other negative stuff about the school. Etc etc. don’t go to penn.

Reactions: 1 user
Penn is so overrated.
200w.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your acceptances. I go to Penn and learned a lot here, but the smart thing to do is get out of dental school in as little debt as possible. If you can graduate dental school in as little debt as possible and invest while young the price difference becomes millions.

Reactions: 1 users
Penn is a good school but the price tag is criminal. Avoid unless you have a scholarship or someone else bank rolling you.