UPenn Results for 2004 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS_FIGHT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was interviewed at Upenn in the beginning of October. I called them and was told that they mailed the letters 2 days back. Anybody got anything back from UPenn so far?

Members don't see this ad.

Hai,

I also interviewed there on Oct 22. I called them and the lady said we posted the letters 2 days back. I did not get anything yet.

She gave me exact same message too. I asked for the result in my case and it apparently is against their policy to reveal the result over the phone. Did she say they sent letters to both accepted and rejected or is it only for few people that they sent the letters. Did nt they say they would be Fedexing the people they accepted !!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Ya, you are right, they send letters to all people for rejection or in the waiting list. And they fedex the people whom they accept. I donot know, if some one got the fedex.

Good luck

And the Award goes to ................

REJECT

YAHOOOOOO.......................

Sorry to read that DDS_Fight. :(

Originally posted by DDS_FIGHT
And the Award goes to ................

REJECT

YAHOOOOOO.......................

dont worry,,,,i m also in ur boat....:oops: :oops: :oops:
ithink now i shd start searching for other good programme....
i thnk we saved our 15k...(KHATTE ANGUR!!!!!;) )
i m really very depressed....:( :( :(

that is soooooooooooo sad..... sorry to hear that... wat does these people want.......:confused:

In some schools we pay the price for being from India. This certainly ranks high on that count. There are some things that we can not change. So is the criteria at places like UPenn and Loma Linda. I wish luck to others waiting for the result.

same here guys , work experience in US ,good scores nothing came to help , i dont know what U penn looks for ?:(

Originally posted by DDS_FIGHT
In some schools we pay the price for being from India. This certainly ranks high on that count. There are some things that we can not change. So is the criteria at places like UPenn and Loma Linda. I wish luck to others waiting for the result.

DDS_FTGHT:HI

First of all sorry to hear about penn and good luck to you in other schools.JUST TO CALM YOU DOWN, I wanna tell you that you are not the only 0ne who is paying the price for being INDIAN(foreigner).I got my CANADIAN citizinship in 1996(I am originally Syrian).I graduated from Syria in 1999,and came here to Canada for good in 2001.

Do you believe that I did the Canadian DAT and I applied to 6 SIX canadian dental schools{I applied to D1 =the first year,NOT the addvanced standing}.I was rejected by all.Not even one school bothered to call me for an interview.Yes buddy not even ONE poor interview!!!!

I also feel like I am an ALIAN dentist living in CANADA which was supposed to be my new country since 1996.Oh ......one more thing,I tried to work as an assistant for some dentists here in Montreal,Some told me:we need girls,others told me YOY SHOULD
HAVE CANADIAN DEGREE,OTHERS APPOLOGIZED POLITLY.............( WISH IF I HAD NICE BOOBS OR GOOD LOOKING ASS MAY BE THIS COULD HAVE HELPED A LITTLE).

MEGGS : DO YOU KNOW NOW WHY I TOLD YOU IT IS WORTHLESS FOR ME TO APPLY TO PENN,YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR?????????+pissed+ :mad:

Does the upenn need the foreign nationals to have green card ?
Those of you who got rejected had green cards?

Thanks

Vajra bentur, first, welcome to SDN. Second, on their addm requirements UPenn asks for a copy of your legal status in the US, green card or visa. They won't say which one they'll prefer.

Originally posted by sam3
MEGGS : DO YOU KNOW NOW WHY I TOLD YOU IT IS WORTHLESS FOR ME TO APPLY TO PENN,YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR?????????+pissed+ :mad:

I'm sorry Sam, I guess I understand your frustation now, I would have felt the same. :( But, you're not Indian, your Syrian, so you shouldn't be rejected by diversity issues. Or is Syria ethnically alike to India and they may reject you 'cause of this?
Sorry. :( Hopefully you'll get interviews calls from somewhere else. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
DDS Fight your mailbox is full.

Originally posted by meggs
Vajra bentur, first, welcome to SDN. Second, on their addm requirements UPenn asks for a copy of your legal status in the US, green card or visa. They won't say which one they'll prefer.

I'm sorry Sam, I guess I understand your frustation now, I would have felt the same. :( But, you're not Indian, your Syrian, so you shouldn't be rejected by diversity issues. Or is Syria ethnically alike to India and they may reject you 'cause of this?
Sorry. :( Hopefully you'll get interviews calls from somewhere else. ;)

Meggs:I do not really know how US schools will look at my situation.I mean will they consider me as( SYRIAN=ASIAN),or as a CANADIAN?????cause I have both( citizinships=both passports).

Originally posted by sam3
Meggs:I do not really know how US schools will look at my situation.I mean will they consider me as( SYRIAN=ASIAN),or as a CANADIAN?????cause I have both( citizinships=both passports).

When speaking about diversity, institutions (in general) couldn't care less about your citizenship, they care about your ethnicity. In the US the term diversity usually is related to race, unless stated otherwise.

Hello people,

I have been reading your posts regarding rejections, and I must admit that I have felt exactly like you during some of the lowest points in my life. We've all chosen to walk to harder path (rather than the softer, greener paths) and I guess we're all just burnt out now!

Well, it's so frustrating when our plans don't work out or we don't hear what we had always wanted to hear. It's also so disappointing when we realize our best attempts was pitiful compared to someone else's. Yes, sometimes everything and everyone is against you! I know. I have been through that kind of feeling.

I don't know the answer to all of our question. I am also fallible. Sometimes we're lucky, sometimes we're not. It reminds of me of that "Sunscreen Song" by Baz Luhrmann. "...sometimes you're ahead, sometime you're behind... but in the end, you are only racing against yourself..." At times like these, I think it would be good to remind yourself that you are against yourself, and no one else.

When we work together to support each other with kind words and advice, I think that would definately be the SDN at its best. So share your worst, and your happiest stories!

September's been and gone. It's already November. Soon the year will be over. In one way, you could feel like you've achieved nothing. But, in the bigger scheme of things, for those who felt the rejection, you have achieved something greater... how to take the rejection and still be strong! Dentistry invites people who had been the creme-de la-creme of the scholars... and most dental students had never failed or achieved anything below B... when we face rejections and unknowns, it can be quite daunting.

So I guess you all know what I'm trying to convey here. It's okay to be sad, and to feel down... but don't spend too long "down"! From now on, the only way will be up and away! (But expect some turbulance!)

:p

2ed

Hey Guys,

I am sorry to hear about your rejection letters. But like it was said on one of the posts, you have to take time to grieve and then move on. It's tough, but you have to do it...in order to be strong for your next interviews/tests. There's always some hope with every situation. Whenever a door closes, another one opens.

So, good luck with the other interviews. I look forward to reading about all your acceptance letters....very soon!!!!

great post 2ed:clap: :clap:
dds flight,priti.....did u get the rejections letters or assumed you would be rejected...maybe its the fed ex they have posted for you guys...btw i got rejected from upenn last year

Originally posted by secondedition
Hello people,

I have been reading your posts regarding rejections, and I must admit that I have felt exactly like you during some of the lowest points in my life. We've all chosen to walk to harder path (rather than the softer, greener paths) and I guess we're all just burnt out now!

Well, it's so frustrating when our plans don't work out or we don't hear what we had always wanted to hear. It's also so disappointing when we realize our best attempts was pitiful compared to someone else's. Yes, sometimes everything and everyone is against you! I know. I have been through that kind of feeling.

I don't know the answer to all of our question. I am also fallible. Sometimes we're lucky, sometimes we're not. It reminds of me of that "Sunscreen Song" by Baz Luhrmann. "...sometimes you're ahead, sometime you're behind... but in the end, you are only racing against yourself..." At times like these, I think it would be good to remind yourself that you are against yourself, and no one else.

When we work together to support each other with kind words and advice, I think that would definately be the SDN at its best. So share your worst, and your happiest stories!

September's been and gone. It's already November. Soon the year will be over. In one way, you could feel like you've achieved nothing. But, in the bigger scheme of things, for those who felt the rejection, you have achieved something greater... how to take the rejection and still be strong! Dentistry invites people who had been the creme-de la-creme of the scholars... and most dental students had never failed or achieved anything below B... when we face rejections and unknowns, it can be quite daunting.

So I guess you all know what I'm trying to convey here. It's okay to be sad, and to feel down... but don't spend too long "down"! From now on, the only way will be up and away! (But expect some turbulance!)

:p

2ed

One of the best posts I've read in a long time.

Almost made me want to cry.

Just to add to it...Just dont give up hope, persistance pays off in the end, so guys keep your hopes up and don't give up.

With 5 lines to convey that you are rejected. I dont blame them also as there are only so many student positions and they interview 350 for 30 and many of them from same ethnicity. For Eg., during my day there were 6 from India out of 8.

Originally posted by foreign dentist
got accepted ,but leaning toward tufts .
Congratulations! :clap:

How long will they give you to confirm it?

hi foreign dentist,
CONGRATULATIONS for ur accepetance in UPENN
can u pls share ur interview experience in UPENN, and ur part 1 scores,GPA and TOEFL scores.

hi foreign dentist.....which colleges accepted you upenn,tufts?...what else:clap: if u dont mind can you share your ethnicity

hi guys,
i got a wait list position from Penn. any clue how good or bad is that?? how many usually get wait listed there, any idea?
r there any other's like me? this admn means a lot, got a LOT lined up with it. so don't know what to look forward to.
any feedback on this one?
thanx,
smiledentist

smile dentist a waitlist is much better than a reject....i think your chances are good generally people who get accepted have more than one acceptance obviously they will be having good scores....u just ahve to hang in there...all the best to you

hi foreign dentist and smile dentist
congrats on recieving letters from upenn.
can you share your interview experiances.
thanks
preni

hi,
thanx green emerald!
altho i m not too excited, but nervous instead.
yes, true congrats go to foriegn denstist! keep up the good work foriegn dentist!
abt interview exp, its very casual talk with the interviewers. just abt urself & how long have u been in USA etc.
so i guess they have a lot of varying criterias to decide.
good luck to all going in for the interview!!

smiledentist

Originally posted by smiledentist
hi guys,
i got a wait list position from Penn. any clue how good or bad is that?? how many usually get wait listed there, any idea?
r there any other's like me? this admn means a lot, got a LOT lined up with it. so don't know what to look forward to.
any feedback on this one?
thanx,
smiledentist

Congrats smiledentist! That's good news. Maybe the spot foreing dentist is leaving behind will go to you!!! :eek: Start praying!!!! :D

Did they tell you in which position of the waiting list you're on?
Since you got interviewed early in the process, you're probably on one of the first spots in the list. And that's great, 'cause as soon as people start receiving acceptance letters from somewhere else, they'll also start withdrawing app. Leaving quite many spots behind. And one of those spost will defitnely be yours!!!!! ;)

Hi Foreign Dentist,

I sent you a Private a message. Can you take a look at it?

Thanks

thanks smile dentist for the reply

hi meggs,

thanx for being so optimistic for me!!
yes i m praying & there's not much i can do!
abt wait list number, no they have not said anything & they do not disclose even last year's wait list positions' numbers. there r times when all wait list people get absorbed & there r occasions when no wait list gets in!! this was told at the interview!!

good luck to u.

smiledentist

Hey all,
I really can't add anything to all these eloquent posts, but going thru' them I realize that everyone of you is hard working, smart, and willing to hang on when the going gets tough (and boy DOES it).. you guys are going to make great dentists, whichever school you attend, and while I know UPenn is a reputed school, if they don't pick you, their loss will be another, less biased school's gain. Best of luck. :)
p.s.. I applied to Penn early Oct... haven't heard anything yet.. and by their track record of rejections, I don't expect to either.. :p

Hey all,
I really can't add anything to all these eloquent posts, but going thru' them I realize that everyone of you is hard working, smart, and willing to hang on when the going gets tough (and boy DOES it).. you guys are going to make great dentists, whichever school you attend, and while I know UPenn is a reputed school, if they don't pick you, their loss will be another, less biased school's gain. Best of luck. :)
p.s.. I applied to Penn early Oct... haven't heard anything yet.. and by their track record of rejections, I don't expect to either.. :p

hi all,
has anyone from the 2nd batch of interviews heard from upenn.we were told that we would hear from upenn in mid dec???

hi mili ,
when did u go for the upen interview?
I was there on the 3rd of dec..........
let me know if u hear from them ...i'll do the same if i get to hear from them
good luck to both of us,
lebelle

This is for all those waiting for upen result second batch...
I called upen today ..They will take anther two weeks to post results...
so best of luck...to you guys
pooja

same with me i called them today and they told me interview committee gonna to be met tomorrow and so we will get results in next two weeks.
very worried about results. (no one likes to be rejected) wish all the best to all waiting for results

Originally posted by lebelle
hi mili ,
when did u go for the upen interview?
I was there on the 3rd of dec..........
let me know if u hear from them ...i'll do the same if i get to hear from them
good luck to both of us,
lebelle
hi lebelle,
i interviewed there in 2nd week nov..i surely will let u know ..when i hear from them..but seems like it will take some time..moreso i am not expecting much from penn...:eek:

hi ,
i got accepted in upenn,my interview was on 5 nov,2003:)

congrates:clap: :clap: :clap:
can tell me when did u receive your acceptance and how ? i mean is it fedex?

Hey Joey, Thats fantastic.. congratulations!! :clap: Could you pls share some more info abt yourself.. your stats and whr u frm, etc? Thanks, and well done.

hi,
thanks a lot for ur wishes!!!! yes,i got a fed-ex today itself.
my scores r part 1-91,part2-92,TOEFL-257,&GPA 3.09
I wish everyone good luck!!!!!!:)

hi joey,
congratualtions..and thanx for the replies..are u an indian..i hope u dont mind my question..please dont get me wrong either.just curious b'cos upenn has this diversity thing
thanx

Congrats Joey!!
well done..:clap:
pooja

joey ,is upenn your first choice you have great stats you probably ahve more than 1 acceptance,where have you decided to join?