UPenn Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pikayou

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to figure out whether to go to a UPenn interview I was offered two weeks ago. Basically, I don't have the money to fly all the way across the country for another interview unless it's absolutely imperative. What I really want to know is whether, with my current slate of interview invites, whether I already have a good shot at a UPenn caliber school. Here's my deal:

Interviewed already at Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, UCSF, UMich, and Northwestern...interviewing next week at Stanford. I'm also holding an acceptance at UMich.

I really like UPenn, but there are several schools I've interviewed at that I would probably go to first.

Given this, is it worth breaking the bank to go back east for UPenn?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you go to UMich over UPenn? If not then go for the interview.

There is no way to know if you like a school or not unless you actually go there. Go there with an open mind, stay over with a student host, observe one of their classes (you see one of the sections on your interview day) and then make your decision.

UPenn isn't rolling, so it probably wouldn't hurt you if you waited a bit for your interview. That said, UPenn is a fantastic school and I think you would be really missing out on something if you didn't interview there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by bigbaubdi
That said, UPenn is a fantastic school and I think you would be really missing out on something if you didn't interview there.

I totally agree. UPenn has a somewhat different approach compared to a lot of other top-tier schools (in a good way!). It seems like they really focus on the students and offer both great basic and clinical learning. It's not just for people who want to go into academic medicine, either. I'm sure some Penn students can tell you more, since all I really know about Penn is from the interview.

Like bigbaubdi said...It won't hurt if you wait until you have enough cash, since Penn is non-rolling...but definitely go to this interview!

Personally, I think you should go to the interview. I have a friend there right now and she loves it. Concerning money, I feel your pain. But even if you have to charge the trip on a credit card, I would try to get there.

Just out of curiosity guys, how long did it take to receive an interview invite? I have been complete there for probably two months now. Not sure if that's a good sign or not.

Originally posted by ajc
...Just out of curiosity guys, how long did it take to receive an interview invite? I have been complete there for probably two months now. Not sure if that's a good sign or not.

Don't worry about it. I finished the secondary in late July and I was complete in early August. There are about 3-4 months of interviews left.

Personally, I think you should go to the interview. I have a friend there right now and she loves it. Concerning money, I feel your pain. But even if you have to charge the trip on a credit card, I would try to get there.

Just out of curiosity guys, how long did it take to receive an interview invite? I have been complete there for probably two months now. Not sure if that's a good sign or not.

I was complete in early August and I got my interview invite on October 1

You should go. Penn is a great school and in many ways a better choice than HMS, Columbia, Cornell, Northwestern, Stanford.

If you are in-state at Michigan, however, the choice is pretty clear; UCSF is also a great choice but the city is very very expensive.

good luck.

Consider how much money you have spent in the process already! What is another ticket now.

It's true, you never know how much you are going to love a school until you actually see it with your eyes.

I agree with doc05. I would say that you should go to Penn unless you are a Michigan resident.

You're not gonna remember that extra 300-500 when all is said and done. You should try to give yourself flexibility and the chance to find a school that feels right to you. Either you're gonna have to pony up 200K for school, in which case 300 will be like nothing, or you're gonna get a nice fat scholarship or grant by using your multiple acceptances to your advantage, in which case this can save you much more than the 300 for the flight and board. I would only cancel interviews if I was sure I would not consider that school anymore, and I have a feeling that UPenn is not the type of school where most people would do that just based on other acceptances.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
You're not gonna remember that extra 300-500 when all is said and done. You should try to give yourself flexibility and the chance to find a school that feels right to you. Either you're gonna have to pony up 200K for school, in which case 300 will be like nothing, or you're gonna get a nice fat scholarship or grant by using your multiple acceptances to your advantage, in which case this can save you much more than the 300 for the flight and board. I would only cancel interviews if I was sure I would not consider that school anymore, and I have a feeling that UPenn is not the type of school where most people would do that just based on other acceptances.

Exactly. Besides, in ten years, you'll drop $300 like it's pocket change.

ROAD TRIP!!!

You could like steal a short bus and get pissed at an all black fraternity with your honkey friends...

Sorry, I'm being obnoxious this afternoon.

If you're really all that questioning your desire to fly out there, then don't go. (Caviat- I'm sick of the interview circuit right now). Just try to find someone who will talk up the school so you want to go... if you cannot find anyone, maybe that says something. :)

It sounds like everyone is saying "go," so I'm going to offer a different opinion.

I'm in a similar situation as Pikayou - holding an acceptance from UMich, interviewed at UPenn, Columbia, and Harvard - and from my own experience, I have to say that going to some of those places were a waste of time and money.

I think that once you're accepted at a great school like UMich and you have honestly very little desire to go to a school like UPenn there's no point in interviewing because let's face it, it's an exhausting process and it's pretty hard for one interview day to radically change your opinion on a school when you're too busy trying to present yourself well and making sure you haven't spilled anything on your suit.

However, if you're genuinely interested in a school and could potentially choose it over your current acceptance, by all means go. Alternatively, your interview day might confirm your preconceptions of the school (ie. I wasn't ecstatic about UPenn before I went and I liked it even less after I visited).

Once you've been accepted to a school you'd be very happy attending, you're in a great position where you can start declining interviews and withdrawing applications. And besides, I'm planning on taking the money I've saved for spring break in Mexico.... :)

Xega and the others are dead on...

Unless you'd definitely go to UMich over UPenn, you should probably go.

You mentioned that you liked the school, and getting into _any_ of the great schools you've interviewed at is by no means a done deal. I'm sure you've browsed mdapplicants.com or talked to enough people about the stellar candidate on paper who interviewed at a lot of great places but didn't get in to many.

I'm not saying you're that person, but don't take that chance. UPenn also has a few merit scholarships, and who knows, that could become a big factor for you.

I'll be at UPenn tomorrow - if you want some first-hand info on it next week, feel free to PM me.

Originally posted by summervacation
It sounds like everyone is saying "go," so I'm going to offer a different opinion.

I somewhat agreed...I already got pretty burned out by the process and I'm just begging my tour guides not to ask "Do you have any more questions?" anymore. Many schools begin to look alike, and my memory of each school becomes hazy.

Originally posted by calebho501
I somewhat agreed...I already got pretty burned out by the process and I'm just begging my tour guides not to ask "Do you have any more questions?" anymore. Many schools begin to look alike, and my memory of each school becomes hazy.

I agree with you there caleb. Most of the schools I've visited looked alike. Now I know it is more important to go to a school where I WILL be happy at. In the end, we're all going to be doctors and it's going to be more important to go to a school where you'll be happy at so you can do well there!