UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
on another note, anyone notice that my wording of "I'm" gets changed to "me" and "there" was changed to "thar" it's kind of annoying bc it's automatically gets changed when I post and I cannot edit it lolz

Members don't see this ad.

on another note, anyone notice that my wordin' of "me be" gets changed to "me" and "thar" was changed to "thar" it's kind of annoyin' bc it's automatically gets changed when me post and me cannot edit it lolz

hahaha.... an apr1l f00l's j0ke perhaps. otherwise, this is gonna get annoy1ng real fast...
(hint: substituted numbers in place of letters to work around the glitch haha)

hahaha.... an apr1l f00l's j0ke perhaps. otherwise, this be gonna get annoy1ng real fast...
(hint: substituted numbers in place of letters to work around t' glitch haha)

unfortunately I don't think it is. see post #1420 lolz

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm recently accepted into UPenn's Core Health program. I just sealed the deal on a rental in Philly and will be arriving from Cali around May 1st. I have a sociology BA (3.54 Undergrad GPA, no hard science courses) and 6 years of experience as a Hospital Corpsman with Navy/USMC. Looking forward to seeing whoever is starting this summer at Penn!

I'm another recent acceptance to the Pre-Health Core Studies program, starting this summer. I'm a designer turned paramedic turned pre-med. I applied late in the cycle, so am just now working on securing housing, but I'm really excited to meet all of you soon! (really, really soon!)

hey guys, i was also accepted to UPenn's Core Health program, to start this summer. trying to choose between this and Mount Holyoke (small class size and better advising) but I like that UPenn has obviously got a great reputation and access to lots of research/shadowing opportunities. anyone trying to do it in one year? i am but i heard the advising team at UPenn is really against students doing that

Hey all, congrats on your acceptances!!! That's great news! Can you share how long it took them to get back to you after the interview? I know they say 2 weeks, but I'm wondering what the actual turnaround has been. Thanks!

Hey all, congrats on your acceptances!!! That's great news! Can you share how long it took them to get back to you after the interview? I know they say 2 weeks, but I'm wondering what the actual turnaround has been. Thanks!

took me two weeks. interviewed Jan 31st, found out mid-February

my application to core health was marked complete about a week ago and now waiting to hear back about an interview! Xconvention did you interview in person or on the phone? could you offer any advice or suggestions? thanks!

Hi! The interview was done over the phone. Standard questions like Why do you want to be doctor? What makes a good doctor? Etc. very conversational and friendly. No surprises or hard questions

It took just over two weeks to receive my acceptance after my interview. I interviewed via Skype on March 14th, and was accepted March 29th or 30th. I was actually a bit surprised that I received the email over the weekend.

It took just over two weeks to receive my acceptance after my interview. I interviewed via Skype on March 14th, and was accepted March 29th or 30th. I was actually a bit surprised that I received the email over the weekend.
Thank you!!

hey guys, i was also accepted to UPenn's Core Health program, to start this summer. trying to choose between this and Mount Holyoke (small class size and better advising) but I like that UPenn has obviously got a great reputation and access to lots of research/shadowing opportunities. anyone trying to do it in one year? i am but i heard the advising team at UPenn is really against students doing that
Depends how comfortable you are with the sciences, 1 year plan can be very difficult, though I know a couple people who have done it at other schools. It depends mostly on how hard you're willing to work

Members don't see this ad :)
I've decided to officially attend starting this summer! let's start a facebook group?

Yes I'm getting aboard this Facebook train! Just accepted my offer and starting in Summer. Wooooooooo

I'm starting this summer as well! I'll make a facebook group once I get you guys as friends - apparently you can't start a group without starting members. Please check your inbox!

Facebook group name: Penn Pre Health Post-Bacc
Find it and add yourself!!
hey i can't find the group. i can see a penn pre-health post-bacc 2013-2014 and one for 2014-2015 but none without a year

I made Penn Pre-health Post-Bacc 2014 this morning!

Question for those who have already completed the Specialized Sciences program:

I haven't yet taken the MCAT, but I'm unsure as of whether to start studying for it now during the Summer and take it early in the Fall or study for it at some point during the course of the post-bacc and take it then. Has anyone followed either of these schedules? Is the coursework for this program too overwhelming that I probably would not be able to properly devote enough time to both MCAT studies and the coursework and do well in both? Any insight would really be appreciated!

Question for those who have already completed the Specialized Sciences program:

I haven't yet taken the MCAT, but I'm unsure as of whether to start studying for it now during the Summer and take it early in the Fall or study for it at some point during the course of the post-bacc and take it then. Has anyone followed either of these schedules? Is the coursework for this program too overwhelming that I probably would not be able to properly devote enough time to both MCAT studies and the coursework and do well in both? Any insight would really be appreciated!

What I did was I studied the summer beforehand and took it, then if I didn't get the score I wanted I figured I would study for it the next Spring. I got a decent score so I didn't retake it. But the courses in the post bac program will also help you a lot for the MCAT (genetics, cell bio, vert anatomy, etc) so it's really up to you.

I probably would have done better after some of those courses in all honesty, but I liked being done with it before starting the program so I could solely focus on my classes.

My advice would be to study a bit for it, take a practice exam or two and if you're feeling good after a few weeks, keep going and take it in August/September. It is best to devote 100% of your time to the MCAT in my experience. If you don't feel ready then you can wait and think of a more long term study plan for the Spring.

It is best to devote 100% of your time to the MCAT in my experience. If you don't feel ready then you can wait and think of a more long term study plan for the Spring.
+1, sorta

I would study my ass over the summer and get it done before you start; you can always come with a back up plan in the spring where you maybe take less courses if you dont get the score you need. However you want to prepare and take this exam once, and so I think a solid study schedule and the appropriate dedication in the summer should see you sorted.

I disagree that the classes will help. The MCAT is pretty basic and doesn't require any vert anatomy or immuno or anything like that. Maybe cell bio is the only thing I would consider loosely helping but its certainly not necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
+1, sorta

I would study my ass over the summer and get it done before you start; you can always come with a back up plan in the spring where you maybe take less courses if you dont get the score you need. However you want to prepare and take this exam once, and so I think a solid study schedule and the appropriate dedication in the summer should see you sorted.

I disagree that the classes will help. The MCAT is pretty basic and doesn't require any vert anatomy or immuno or anything like that. Maybe cell bio is the only thing I would consider loosely helping but its certainly not necessary.

Oh I meant vert phys.

Well on my test genetics would have definitely helped and the way Cancro tested us in immuno actually felt a lot like the MCAT

Thank you guys for the advice! I think I'll go ahead and study for them now and take the exam in September. I like the idea of being able to dedicate all of my time to studying for the exam now and then dedicating my time to classes in the Fall. Thanks again, that was very helpful.

Hey all,

I am looking to apply to the SSP as I'm particularly interested in their linkage program to RWJ, I'm an NJ resident so hoping it'll help. But I am also in the process of applying to medical schools now (I was hoping linking via SSP to RWJ could be a potential backup?) The problem though is that I have taken the MCAT already and I do have a C in one of my Pre-reqs, will this be a problem with regards to linking? Who can I speak to about this? The recruitment office isn't much help in answering my questions. Thanks!

Hey all,

I am looking to apply to the SSP as I'm particularly interested in their linkage program to RWJ, I'm an NJ resident so hoping it'll help. But I am also in the process of applying to medical schools now (I was hoping linking via SSP to RWJ could be a potential backup?) The problem though is that I have taken the MCAT already and I do have a C in one of my Pre-reqs, will this be a problem with regards to linking? Who can I speak to about this? The recruitment office isn't much help in answering my questions. Thanks!

Someone in the admissions office has to be able to answer your question. They are always changing their rules when it comes to linkage honestly I have no idea

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hey all,

I couldn't link for the same reasons you just posted. Check the latest rules with admissions

Hey all,

I was in the Penn SP postbac and linkage to RWJ needs an 3.2 cGPA from undergrad, 3.6 in the program and a 30 MCAT.

Hey all,

Also I ask for the rules on applying during your SSP year and also applying for linkage at the same time. Not sure if they let you do that

Posted using SDN Mobile

Also I ask for the rules on applying during your SSP year and also applying for linkage at the same time. Not sure if they let you do that

Posted using SDN Mobile

you would apply to the linkage during the spring semester while taking classes. so you wouldn't have a glide year if you get in.. but you're at a disadvantage since most medical schools will have their classes filled by late spring. they also have pretty strict GPA/MCAT requirements.

Hey guys and gals - I'm pretty late to the process but just completed my application for the UPenn Pre-Health program on June 9th. Anyone else on this thread still in the application process for this Fall?

On a separate note, RobFlanker, thank you for still being on this thread from SSP to what I believe is 4th year and your posts over the lifetime of this thread have been incredibly useful.

On a separate note, RobFlanker, thank you for still being on this thread from SSP to what I believe is 4th year and your posts over the lifetime of this thread have been incredibly useful.
No problem, glad to help.

Hey all,

I interviewed for the SSP and they specifically told me that I could not be applying this upcoming cycle in order to be a candidate for the linkages.
Also, I'm not sure if there is a cap or waitlist for the SSP, but I am giving up my spot so I hope that leaves room for someone else! Best of luck!

DO_Hopeful I'm getting ready to submit my app in by Monday! So I'm in this pool as well.

oh wow. What?! If you apply this cycle, you can't be a candidate? What if you didn't apply to RWJ this cycle?

Hello!

I graduated a few years ago with a non science degree. I went to a top 20 school, but my cgpa was crappy and not very competitive (3.01). I won't make excuses for my low gpa. I wasn't focused back then on my future. The only bcmp courses I took were Intro to Chem (A), Statistics, and Calculus. As of January 2014 I have been doing a DIY Post Bacc at a state university. My total cgpa has improved to a 3.1 after one semester (got an A in Gen Chem I along with the other two classes).

I am planning on finishing up Chem II(this summer), Bio I & II, Organic I & II, and Physics I & II by Spring (May) of 2015.

The best I can improve my gpa based on this schedule is a 3.3 cgpa and a 3.7+ sgpa, assuming I continue getting As in the pre-reqs.

After that, I am at a cross roads. I could use some advice from people who have been through the Penn post bacc program before.

Option I. After Spring 2015, continue taking courses at my state school (Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, Anatomy and Physiology), take the new MCAT, and apply by June 2016

Option II. Finish by Spring 2015, and enroll in UPenn's Specialized Post Bacc for upper level courses (Biochem, Immunology, Histology, Microbiology, etc) for Summer 2015 and Fall 2015 (& Spring 2016 if needed), take the MCAT, and apply by June 2016 to Med School

I know that getting into Med School is crazy hard these days, so I want to do my best to not only get in to a school in the states, but also get into the best school that I can.

The reason why I am considering doing the Specialized Studies Post Bacc program at UPenn is because I think it would really help my credentials more so than getting a Masters degree (MS or MPH). I'd be taking upper level courses at a well known program. With the Penn program, I could improve my cgpa with upper level courses. In addition, the Penn formal program has linkages to some pretty good medical schools, even though linking isn't guaranteed. I like the option of taking classes at night while getting clinical work done in the day. Plus the tuition for the program isn't that much more than what I have been paying for my DIY post bacc.

What do you guys think? Any advice would be much appreciated guys!

In addition, the Penn formal program has linkages to some pretty good medical schools, even though linking isn't guaranteed.

Just realize that the Penn SSP only has linkage to one school (RWJ in NJ) and there are certain rules for GPA and MCAT score (we discussed it above in the last few posts).

But yes, I think the program would be a good fit for you if you are willing to move to Philly. Seems like a good choice especially if the price is similar to the local school you're currently taking courses at.

I see, so the SSP & the Core have different linkage programs?

I thought the list included the following:
  • Drexel University College of Medicine
  • George Washington University School of Medicine
  • Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
  • Jefferson Medical College
  • Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
  • Robert Wood Johnson School of Medicine
  • The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
  • Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine

Is there any advantage in doing the specialized studies program with a decent undergrad gpa? I have a 3.7 cgpa/scigpa and am retaking the mcat this summer. Would the program help my app stand out as opposed to a year of research?

Is there any advantage in doing the specialized studies program with a decent undergrad gpa? I have a 3.7 cgpa/scigpa and am retaking the mcat this summer. Would the program help my app stand out as opposed to a year of research?
probably not

Do you guys think that Med Schools will look down on the fact that my prerequisite courses were done at a state school? I hope that by performing well in upper level courses at Penn, it would prove to adcoms my capabilities and improve my overall application

Do you guys think that Med Schools will look down on the fact that my prerequisite courses were done at a state school? I hope that by performing well in upper level courses at Penn, it would prove to adcoms my capabilities and improve my overall application
They didn't for me, and i'm an MS4.

Over 80% of my state med school went to state undergrads. And the fact that the classes are at Penn (name-wise) don't mean much

I've heard that students who do well in the Penn program get into pretty solid medical schools. Even if they don't link. For example, I was talking to my brother the other day. He said one of his classmates had a 3.1 in undergrad, did very well in the Penn program, and is now a first year student with him at Columbia University Medical School in NY.

For those who have gone through the program and done well, have you found most adcoms receptive about going through Penn? How much do you believe it helped with your chances of getting into a good medical school?