Updating Programs on CS Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickensoupdr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After I submitted my application, I got my CS score (first time - fail). Do programs expect us to resubmit our passing score via ERAS or should an email to the program coordinator be enough? For those who had a similar experience, what do you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Reach out to your deans for support. Deans have told folks they don't have to resubmit if programs aren't asking about it, though you of course should be honest and forthcoming if people ask. IMO some of the chief concerns a programs will have about a CS fail can be assuaged by a good interview. However biggest concern is trying to match this year, that's the real bottleneck. So if you haven't already, sign up to take the test again (pay, wait for scheduling permit and all that), and use the firefox check 4 change extension to get the soonest date you can, preferably one that would give you a report before February 20th when rank lists are due (but don't be totally reckless, take the time you need to practice with a partner and DO THE FA PRACTICE CASES WITH HUMANS, TIMED to make sure you pass). If that timing is not possible (you have to check the reporting schedule to see if it is), then programs who are willing to rank you are still match possibilities (I've also read about people matching and then failing CS and scrambling to retake before July 1st, so that may be a thing), but then from what I've read on here even in SOAP folks want a CS pass.

Good luck! And most importantly don't internalize the failure. It's ironically a very dehumanizing test and the people I know who failed are mostly lovely people who will be great and caring doctors. NBME's a cash cow.