Updating MCAT score before or after submitting secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

man221

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I sent in my primary application on June 1st to bunch of schools that are more or less within my score range (GPA 3.65 and MCAT 506). The thing is I'm currently studying for the MCAT to take it a second time and hope to get at l least a 515. I'm probably going to re-take it first week of August, meaning the results would come in first week of September.

1) If I update my application and say that I'm retaking the MCAT, would that put all my applications on hold if I send in the secondaries of the current schools I applied to? I want to have a bunch of schools with a completed application early on in July/August before adding new schools.

2) If I want to add more schools, would end August be too late? Should I not send in my secondaries until I get my score as to make sure that they see my improved score? I don't want to apply to them early on without them seeing my improved score.

I basically don't really know when to update my application because I want to re-take the exam without it putting all my applications on hold.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Schools are under no obligation to wait for a second score. They may or may not accede to your request. In other words, they may make a decision on your application with the first score.
2. The end of August is not too late to add schools.

1. Schools are under no obligation to wait for a second score. They may or may not accede to your request. In other words, they may make a decision on your application with the first score.
2. The end of August is not too late to add schools.
So would you say that I shouldn't send in the secondaries until I get my new score?

Members don't see this ad :)
So would you say that I shouldn't send in the secondaries until I get my new score?
I recommend that you not apply to any schools (except maybe a throwaway) until you know your MCAT score. If you have already applied, I recommend that you check the school websites to see if they have a recommended interval for receipt of the secondary. If they do, I would abide by that recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I recommend that you not apply to any schools (except maybe a throwaway) until you know your MCAT score. If you have already applied, I recommend that you check the school website to see if they have a recommended interval for receipt of the secondary. If they do, I would abide by that recommendation.
Okay makes sense perfect. Unfortunately I didn't know of the trick of applying to a single throwaway school to get verified and applied to a bunch.