Update medical schools with change of plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdenineThomasPhosphate

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was signed up to continue my fire education with a second class from September to November and I mentioned this in my AMCAS application and many of my secondaries for the "what're your plans" prompt. I've very luckily received 4 interviews as now. I couldn't schedule them so I wouldn't miss at least 3 classes. I talked to the instructor and he (rightfully) said I couldn't do the course. Getting into med school is my absolute priority, and everyone in my fire company is 100% supportive of me and my career. They totally understand that interviews take priority. Next year's classes will be announced in November, and I plan to take the class in the Spring.

I plan on sending out an update to the schools I've applied to explaining this.

My question is whether or not to explain the reasoning as to why I've had these change of plans? I feel like it's in bad taste to say I have too many interviews. It also might reflect poorly on me to say I've had scheduling issues and had to pull out of the class?

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Plans change. The people interviewing you know that med school is your priority. They will understand that it came down to choosing between interviewing for medical school or continuing your fire education. 4 interviews won't be considered excessive by anyone.

Edit: I personally don't think it warrants an update to schools. For me, it's one of those things that you explain if someone asks about your future plans in an interview, but otherwise don't really need to address.

Reactions: 1 users
Plans change. The people interviewing you know that med school is your priority. They will understand that it came down to choosing between interviewing for medical school or continuing your fire education. 4 interviews won't be considered excessive by anyone.

Edit: I personally don't think it warrants an update to schools. For me, it's one of those things that you explain if someone asks about your future plans in an interview, but otherwise don't really need to address.
Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Future plans are future plans and none of us can really predict the future. Not a big deal and plans change all of the time. I wouldn’t update with this info. If you are asked just say you couldn’t take the class because of scheduling issues but that you hope it will work out for the Spring.

Reactions: 1 users
I was signed up to continue my fire education with a second class from September to November and I mentioned this in my AMCAS application and many of my secondaries for the "what're your plans" prompt. I've very luckily received 4 interviews as now. I couldn't schedule them so I wouldn't miss at least 3 classes. I talked to the instructor and he (rightfully) said I couldn't do the course. Getting into med school is my absolute priority, and everyone in my fire company is 100% supportive of me and my career. They totally understand that interviews take priority. Next year's classes will be announced in November, and I plan to take the class in the Spring.

I plan on sending out an update to the schools I've applied to explaining this.

My question is whether or not to explain the reasoning as to why I've had these change of plans? I feel like it's in bad taste to say I have too many interviews. It also might reflect poorly on me to say I've had scheduling issues and had to pull out of the class?

Any advice is appreciated!
You had a future plan to take the class. You still have a future plan to take the class, but with a different date. A deferred date is not a reason for an update.

Reactions: 1 user
Future plans are future plans and none of us can really predict the future. Not a big deal and plans change all of the time. I wouldn’t update with this info. If you are asked just say you couldn’t take the class because of scheduling issues but that you hope it will work out for the Spring.

You had a future plan to take the class. You still have a future plan to take the class, but with a different date. A deferred date is not a reason for an update.

Thanks for all of your input!

Reactions: 1 user