Update admissions on grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virajpatel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just finished up my medical anatomy course as part of my masters program. It was a 6 week spring semester course. My science gpa is right near a 3.0 and I think the grade from this class will bump me up to that. I have applied to 23 schools and was wondering what I should do to update the schools about this grade. Should I email them and just tell them to add this grade to my app? Or something more formal such as a letter?

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

No. You have to fill out the academic update in November.

. My science gpa is right near a 3.0 and I think the grade from this class will bump me up to that.

Hmm it's tough because- like @JLT223 said- the academic update exists for this sort of thing, and many people in your shoes delay application submission just to get the first summer session's grades in to AADSAS. One of my friends is doing a postbac, and she is holding off until July when her summer class grades are released to e-submit since that will help her GPA.

At the same time, you have invested thousands of dollars already into the cycle by applying to 23 schools, and you want to make sure your application has the best shot at succeeding. You applied with a sub-3.0 GPA, and if you don't update them that your GPA is now a 3.0 or higher, a school might disqualify you for a reason that no longer exists.

If this situation happened to me, I would call the dental schools and ask if they would consider the medical anatomy course. Some may be willing to take it into consideration if you can send them a transcript directly (official transcript is best, if your college doesn't charge for them).

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I just finished up my medical anatomy course as part of my masters program. It was a 6 week spring semester course. My science gpa is right near a 3.0 and I think the grade from this class will bump me up to that. I have applied to 23 schools and was wondering what I should do to update the schools about this grade. Should I email them and just tell them to add this grade to my app? Or something more formal such as a letter? Thanks for all your help!
You think? You actually believe that one grade from a single course will make or brake your application?

You think? You actually believe that one grade from a single course will make or brake your application?

Where did OP ever mention of him/her thinking that it will make or break his/her application? OP only said that that course could probably bump the GPA up to 3.0, and depending on how many credits the course is (for example the anatomy course I'll take in the fall is a whopping 8 credit course...) and how well OP does, I believe it's possible. Another saucy comment from you doc.

And what does it mean to BRAKE an application? lol

Thanks for the feedback guys. I may just acquire an official transcript from the university and send it to all the schools. I don't believe the dental schools would mind that. If anything, it would reflect well that I am being pro-active. Plus, I didn't wait to e-submit because dean of admissions at a few schools told me not to wait. My BCP and cumulative GPAs are both above 3.0 just not my science GPA, which is at a 2.98 so I am sure this A in a 4 credit class ought to bump me up to a 3.0.

Where did OP ever mention of him/her thinking that it will make or break his/her application? OP only said that that course could probably bump the GPA up to 3.0, and depending on how many credits the course is (for example the anatomy course I'll take in the fall is a whopping 8 credit course...) and how well OP does, I believe it's possible. Another saucy comment from you doc. And what does it mean to BRAKE an application? lol
At this stage of a college education it is inconceivable that an ds applicant is incapable of calculating his/her gpa. While there may be some schools that provide lip service about submitting additional information by bypassing AADSAS, some may take issue with receiving unsolicited info. It is hard to imagine schools that are entertaining 4K+ applicants to welcome thousands upon thousands of e-mails updating this, that, and the other. For some schools, following direction is a heck of a lot more important than the last minute spike in the metrics.