Upcoming D1 year - sim lab/ clinical subjective evaluation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothy987

Reaction score
Lol. I am going to be an incoming D1 and I am super excited for the sim. lab. I am looking forward to the support system of my class and faculty. When I usually work on any task or project myself, it turns out a better result as far as the actual physical project. Growing up I always had people critique my work of what they thought was good and I usually overthink it haha. Especially when people look over me while I am doing my work. I am looking forward getting help and looking to help my classmates. I hear about subjective evaluations of professors grading your work in clinic and I know everyone is giving advice and instruction and I know it’s essential. However, I get conscious when people observe me in general when doing a hands on oriented task such as strict professors. When I am off doing it by myself generally I do a lot better. If a person that is observing see that I messes up on something that is a detailed task, then there trust goes down even though there have been instances where I have a low chance of screwing up when I am by myself? I am sure it happens to all of us at some point, but I would like to get some advice on how to handle working under pressure with your hands while someone is looking over your shoulder? Any tips/advice on how you handle that? Other than that I am fine making conversation, working in teams, and helping others in didatics it doesn’t bother me.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry. The faculty won't be watching while you're working.

Reactions: 2 users
You will not be excited for the SIM lab next year at this time. But do not worry. Just do your best and practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i can't tell you how many times i've ''gone to fix'' preps, where i've literally just sat there playing with air/water syringe and waiting 10 minutes to show the same exact prep......and then get a comment like ''see that's much better!"

there are some faculty however, who actually care and will notice these things. those faculty are a dime a dozen

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
i can't tell you how many times i've ''gone to fix'' preps, where i've literally just sat there playing with air/water syringe and waiting 10 minutes to show the same exact prep......and then get a comment like ''see that's much better!"

there are some faculty however, who actually care and will notice these things. those faculty are a dime a dozen

Accurate.

Reactions: 1 user

Ditto

Basically the point is, pay attention and find out early on which faculty are the ones who couldn't care less, which faculty are appreciative of your efforts and give constructive feedback, and which faculty are wayyyy too nitpicky and will never grade you until it's absolutely perfect--and then only get the faculty from the first two categories to grade your stuff, otherwise you will either be there forever and get nothing graded, or get everything graded and yet learn nothing and fail the practicals

Also OP, I feel you, the good thing about sim labs is usually that they are open after hours, I too found that most of my learning occured after hours, when it was less crowded and less people standing over your shoulder. But obviously this only helps if you know what youre doing already and are just wanting to practice more. I feel you on having performance anxiety though, it's the reason my grades on my practicals often haven't been as good as my grades on daily projects.