Upcoming AZCOM interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have an interview at AZCOM on Oct 16th. I have already booked my non-refundable plane ticket to Phoenix. I'm getting a bit tight with money though, and I'm trying to decide if I should still go to the interview (I haven't booked the hotel or rental car, and combined with food this will be at least another $200-$300). Right now I have an acceptance to ACOM, and I am waiting to hear from my interviews I had at LECOM and PCOM. I also have upcoming interviews at CUSOM and MUCOM.

PCOM is my top choice, and if I were to get an acceptance I wouldn't go to anymore interviews. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to go out to AZCOM and see what they're about. I just can't imagine what would sell me on their super high tuition. But right now I only have an acceptance from ACOM, so I'm torn. Anybody have advice on this?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have an interview at AZCOM on Oct 16th. I have already booked my non-refundable plane ticket to Phoenix. I'm getting a bit tight with money though, and I'm trying to decide if I should still go to the interview (I haven't booked the hotel or rental car, and combined with food this will be at least another $200-$300). Right now I have an acceptance to ACOM, and I am waiting to hear from my interviews I had at LECOM and PCOM. I also have upcoming interviews at CUSOM and MUCOM.

PCOM is my top choice, and if I were to get an acceptance I wouldn't go to anymore interviews. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to go out to AZCOM and see what they're about. I just can't imagine what would sell me on their super high tuition. But right now I only have an acceptance from ACOM, so I'm torn. Anybody have advice on this?
GO!

I'm in a very, very similar position lol, and I am absolutely going to the rest of my interviews. If you have that one acceptance you wanted, that may change things, but until you do definitely go to all of your interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The prospect of having options is well worth a few hundred dollars.

How long are you staying there for? I’m just saying that i don’t see renting a car and Airbnbing it to be $200-300

I was in your shoes not too long ago; had 2 acceptances and an interview at AZCOM. Also, couldn't see myself going to AZCOM due to the high tuition. I decided to go to the interview, but even after my interview, nothing changed. Sure, the campus was beautiful and impressive, but not worth going into an extra 60k+ of debt. Not to mention, their "great board scores" were only marginally better than other schools. Overall, I'm glad I went, but thats just because I had a chance to visit the area. If you're really tight on money, maybe you don't have to go.

If you already have one foot out the door and can't see yourself going there, don't go. OTOH, if there is a chance you would consider, I would go. Not sure what mandatory attendance policies are like at ACOM, but if they are mandatory, then I'd say its worth going to AZCOM, where attendance is not mandatory.

How long are you staying there for? I’m just saying that i don’t see renting a car and Airbnbing it to be $200-300
I'm only staying one night. The hotel cost isn't really bad, but since I'm under 25 the rental car is more expensive than usual. The quote was like $175, and I looked at like 5 different rental car companies.

I was in your shoes not too long ago; had 2 acceptances and an interview at AZCOM. Also, couldn't see myself going to AZCOM due to the high tuition. I decided to go to the interview, but even after my interview, nothing changed. Sure, the campus was beautiful and impressive, but not worth going into an extra 60k+ of debt. Not to mention, their "great board scores" were only marginally better than other schools. Overall, I'm glad I went, but thats just because I had a chance to visit the area. If you're really tight on money, maybe you don't have to go.

If you already have one foot out the door and can't see yourself going there, don't go. OTOH, if there is a chance you would consider, I would go. Not sure what mandatory attendance policies are like at ACOM, but if they are mandatory, then I'd say its worth going to AZCOM, where attendance is not mandatory.
Yeah I'm just really on the fence. I totally understand AZCOM is more established than ACOM, but is it that much better that it's worth an extra $80,000 of debt? And ACOM's mandatory attendance policy is 60%. They basically said you just have to be in class if there is a guest speaker.

I'm only staying one night. The hotel cost isn't really bad, but since I'm under 25 the rental car is more expensive than usual. The quote was like $175, and I looked at like 5 different rental car companies.
Do you have AAA? If you do, Hertz waives the underage car rental fee for you. I have AAA and I've been using it to rent all of my cars for interviews, otherwise the cost would have been outrageous.

FYI, if you don't have AAA, a yearly membership is like $50, so with 2 car rentals you've already paid for your membership......something to consider

Yeah I'm just really on the fence. I totally understand AZCOM is more established than ACOM, but is it that much better that it's worth an extra $80,000 of debt? And ACOM's mandatory attendance policy is 60%. They basically said you just have to be in class if there is a guest speaker.

That’s a lie. They are misleading or you misheard. ACOM is starting to realize mando attendance is dumb but guest speakers are a lot less than 60%. It used to be 80% but included all the at home assignments. Now it’s 60% but the at home assignments don’t count. To me, that equals to the same or more class time then I used to do. Depending on the block there were a lot of DSAs that counted so I could skip a ton of lectures.

Do you have AAA? If you do, Hertz waives the underage car rental fee for you. I have AAA and I've been using it to rent all of my cars for interviews, otherwise the cost would have been outrageous.

FYI, if you don't have AAA, a yearly membership is like $50, so with 2 car rentals you've already paid for your membership......something to consider
My parents and my boyfriend have AAA....maybe I can mooch off of them. Thanks for the tip!!

That’s a lie. They are misleading or you misheard. ACOM is starting to realize mando attendance is dumb but guest speakers are a lot less than 60%. It used to be 80% but included all the at home assignments. Now it’s 60% but the at home assignments don’t count. To me, that equals to the same or more class time then I used to do. Depending on the block there were a lot of DSAs that counted so I could skip a ton of lectures.
Hm that's strange. Bob Willis said on interview day that it was only 60%. TBH I learn best by going to class anyway, so it's not really an issue for me.

Hm that's strange. Bob Willis said on interview day that it was only 60%. TBH I learn best by going to class anyway, so it's not really an issue for me.
Yes. It is 60% but it’s still way too many lecture hours and certainly not only guest lecturers. There are plenty of schools that have no attendance policy except for guests.

I thought I learned best in class too but it’s just so inefficient. You can listen to that same lecture at home on double speed and be able to stop the lecture at will to google something. The problem isn’t the info, but the inefficiency and you’ll see exactly how time consuming learning is. With being able to stop the lecture at will you are ensuring that you are retaining the most possible. In class you’re at the mercy of the professor. Most of the time they are too slow and then for something you don’t understand they will skim through it. Then, once you get lost, it takes 5ish mins to get back on track, thus missing all that info.

Attending lectures is an artifact of the older generation. Administration couldn’t understand not attending lecture because when they were in medical school that’s the only way to learn besides reading the chapter. They don’t understand it’s the slowest option available in the technology era