UP-PGH alumni & students thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittycrinkles

picking out zebras
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if there are PGH alumni and students here.

if yes, please do say hi! :D

by the way, have you seen the new website: http://www.upcm.ph/v3/index.htm?

(okay, i gotta go back to studying already!)

Members don't see this ad.

Is this thread only for UP MEDICINE students only or UP- PGH Alumni (na nakaka relate sa Medicine)- (pwede ba mga alumni ng pre med courses dito kahit nag/ magmemedicine sa ibang school?)

Is this thread only for UP MEDICINE students only or UP- PGH Alumni (na nakaka relate sa Medicine)- (pwede ba mga alumni ng pre med courses dito kahit nag/ magmemedicine sa ibang school?)

WELCOME!!! :thumbup:

share your PGH experiences if you must. i'm not a doctor, incoming clerk pa lang. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Unahin ko muna ang community immersion ninyo- I dont know when youll be taking it but youll be taking it in Batangas- together with the College of Nursing, multidisciplinary approach daw.

Surgery (ward 2 and 4)- kilalanin si Dr. Dela Pena ng mabuti, nagmumura sa mga interns at pati na sa mga residente

Psych (ward 7)- magingat sa pagbibigay ng anti psychotics, manage your time well dahil malalaman mo na lang na ang pasyente ay nagconsume ng major proportion ng time mo; kilalanin si Ms. Mabale at Mrs. Palomeno (mga nurses); tatanga tanga si Dr. Castro so maghanap ka ng ibang mentor mo sa psych (I forgot the name of the tall, chinito doctor na maraming nagkakacrush- lalo na yung mga baliw, magaling sya magbigay ng advice)

Otorhinolaryngo (ward 10)- mayabang si Dr. Remulla, competent doctor. Learn all that you can especially from Dr. Caparas- the great Dr. Caparas. Kung makakapagscrub in ka sa cases nya, maging aggressive ka sa pagkuha non dahil halos epitomy sya ng mga surgeons. Dr. Lopa is medyo mayabang but very good.

Burn unit- makisama sa mga nurses ng mabuti, pagsinabi nilang kunan nyo ng litrato yung mga batang nasunog, kunan nyo kaagad as soon as you have the camera. Naka expose kasi yung mga bata at sira ang thermoregulation nila- trust me, marami kaming mga interns at clerks na inaway dahil dito and believe me, magsusumbong sila sa mga residents or consultants kung saan kayo maa- under.

Neuro- Dr. De Guzman, very amible doctor- ANG GALING SOBRA, matututo kayo di lamang ng mga dapat nyong malaman sa field ninyo kundi pati na rin sa pakikitungo sa ibang tao- perfection scale with 10 being the highest, 10

Medicine- toxic at masyado maraming doktor, mahalin ang mga nurses dahil pag wala na ang pasyente, meron silang mga reserbang gamit para gamitin ninyo

OPTHA- mahalin ang mga nurses dahil mas kasama nyo sila kaysa sa mga doktor lalo na sa ward. Sa SOJR, airconed naman at relatively benign. Magpraktis ng insertion ng IV lalo na sa mga pedia clients

PEDIA- mag practice ng insertion ng IV dito. Kawawa naman kung buburdahan natin yung mga bata diba?

ER- kumain ng agahan- amoy dugo parati, alamin ang ABC (airway, breathing and circulation), 2 minutes ang compression bago makipagpalit, tinuruan na naman kayo magbasa ng ECG diba? Maging listo sa pagalam ng mga bagay bagay- dopa, catheter, syringe, gloves, trache set, suction, IV lines, NSS at iba pa.

Marami pa akong gustong sabihin pero mukhang overwhelming na. Good luck and will be praying for you.

in ICC year, we rotate in all the departments, although briefly in some. i've met most of the doctors you've said. PGH is a treasure trove of brilliant doctors. for that, i get amazed every single day of my ICC year. :cool:

i haven't made a perfect IV insertion in a pedia patient yet. shucks katakot. :laugh:

IM is bound to be the "worst" rotation daw for us, kasi it would be a lot toxic. but, i'm optimistic. i learned a lot in our IM rotation in ICC year. my favorite departments were Surgery and OB though. kahit maraming masungit, i loved what i got to learn. :luck:

you've graduated Nursing yes?

Im sure youll be a very good doctor. I will be a nursing graduate on the 24th this April. Then take the June 2007 licensure exam. One day after that, first day of medicine sa UST. Haaayyy- mataas ba ang mortality nyo sa Anatomy? Physiology? Ano ang mga irerecommend mong books?

Most important question, ano ang books na irerecommend mo sa "The Makings of a Physician" na subject nyo- sa mga introduction to medicine na subjects?

Salamat

... Haaayyy- mataas ba ang mortality nyo sa Anatomy? Physiology? Ano ang mga irerecommend mong books?

Most important question, ano ang books na irerecommend mo sa "The Makings of a Physician" na subject nyo- sa mga introduction to medicine na subjects?

Salamat

my fave ana books were Netter's Atlas & Moore's Anat. i'm very visual kaya i loved the illustrations. :luck: about Physio, Berne & Levy's is complete, but it's friggin long. but if you're the type who can read topics ahead of time, go for that.

about the other subjects, i don't think we had that in UPCM. we have a similar subject (i think) "The Art of Medicine", but they give us handouts. no recommended books for that really.

hope that helped! Good luck!

Kailan Ang Start Ng Duty Mo? Extended Ba Hanggang Summer Ang Clerkship Or Bakasyon Din Kayo At That Time?

My Schedule Ka Na Ba Ng Clerkship Mo?

clerkship starts june and ends march. internship starts may next year, so wala nang vacation cause for the whole of april, enrolment ang inaasikaso.

shucks... i expect it to be a toxic ride! :laugh:

@kittycrinkles:

Well it looks like there aren't any UPCM peeps in here, so I decided to join you. Mukhang lonely ka na eh!:laugh:

You know what you should do? Invite the incoming freshies to this forum. Hehehehe! Para dumami mga taga-UP dito. Or maybe ayaw lang magparamdam nung iba... hmmm...:sleep:

Anyway, SIS... good luck in clerkship. Enjoy summer as much as you can.

;)

i didn't get to visit these forums that much. i just came back from much-needed vacation. :laugh:

hi sirdoc! i came upon this site by Google, so i don't know if a lot of med students really know about this place.

and oh, i'm kinda wondering why you called me sis? hehe :hardy:

Buti ka pa nakapag-bakasyon na. Ako trabaho pa rin. Di pa rin nakapag-beach. I miss Boracay!!!

this is a general ? not just for UP med...

is there some sort of ceremony at the beginning of the school yr for 1st yrs? im fil-am 1st yr this june and im just packing and wondering if i should pack semi-formal clothes, dress, etc. thanks

Depends what school you're going to, redsiren. I would suggest smart casual clothes and maybe even a set or two of nice semi-formal clothes for opening ceremonies or welcome parties. Us UP people are not so big on formal ceremony, so we go in with smart casual (and even just basic cas) on day 1. Parties and get-togethers... well we dress to impress. =)

^ he's right about PGH.

with other schools, i think they have uniforms too. others have coats.

can i take the nmat even if im still in 3rd yr of my pre-med course? and also i read from the cem site that the pre-requisites of being admitted to a med school are 9 units on mathematics and 10 units on chem.. when i revwd my prospectus i only have 5 units on chen and 6 units on mathematics.. how does that round up? does that mean i need to get more units on those subject areas?:confused::confused::confused:

can i take the nmat even if im still in 3rd yr of my pre-med course? and also i read from the cem site that the pre-requisites of being admitted to a med school are 9 units on mathematics and 10 units on chem.. when i revwd my prospectus i only have 5 units on chen and 6 units on mathematics.. how does that round up? does that mean i need to get more units on those subject areas?

so sorry for posting it twice here...

Last edited: