UOP Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
People who got accepted from UOP, please kindly list your stats, GPA, DAT, AADSAS #, interview data, plus whether your going or not here. Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Profchaos said:
People who got accepted from UOP, please kindly list your stats, GPA, DAT, AADSAS #, interview data, plus whether your going or not here. Thanks! :thumbup:

I interviewed on Nov 4. I'm definitely leaning toward going to UOP...especially considering I havn't heard back from the UCs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in. I hear there is no better school. Both the other schools I interviewed at the Professors conducting the interview praised UOP. You know the school is good when it recieves praise from its competition. One Professor asked if they put something in the water because he has never heard any faculty or students speak badly about the program.

My Stats:
GPA 4.07 SCI 4.11
DAT 23/20
AADSAS: 8X

I interviewed on Oct. 14th, and it was a great experience. I grew up in the Bay Area (across the GGB in Marin), and cannot wait to be back in The City (I'm already obssesively searching Craiglist for apartments!) So, I'm pretty much positive I will be at UOP next year, esp since, like Crazy_sherm, I have not heard anything from UCSF! Oh well ... Can you tell that I'm excited!?

Applied in January (HA!) for 2004, interviewed in March...on the alternate list. Turned down NYU to wait another year for UOP (I'm from No. Cal., liked UOP about 10 times better...). Reapplied in July when class was full. Accepted Dec. 1.

GPA: 3.60 total, 3.53 science
DAT: 21 AA, 20 TS, 25 PAT
Degree: BM, music performance, Oberlin College/Conservatory, 1999
Work exp.: Airline pilot, 2000-2004

Profchaos said:

I interviewed Nov 4th. The stats and everything are in my signature. Chances are looking good that I will be going to UOP considering I have yet to hear from the other UCs.

Hey Everyone
Congratulations to you all on your acceptances. I applied May 27 and was interviewed on Nov 1. As of now my mind set on UOP. Look forward to seeing you all there. Happy Holidays

My Stats:
GPA 3.52
DAT 19/19/19
AADSAS: 300's
Degree: BS Biology Florida International University
Interviews: UF, BU, UPenn, Maryland, Louisville, UConn, UOP (Nov. 1), Indiana
Accepted: BU, Maryland, Louisville, UConn, UOP, Indiana

Do you guys worry about the money situation? I mean the price tag difference between the UCs and UOP are pretty staggering.

SloppyJoe said:
Do you guys worry about the money situation? I mean the price tag difference between the UCs and UOP are pretty staggering.

actually not as much as you think. My friend goes to UCLA dental and he took out 190,000 dollars in loans. During our UOP interview they said it would be 250,000 for UOP. Its not that big of a difference considering most of it is due to to living in San Francisco.

DREDAY said:
actually not as much as you think. My friend goes to UCLA dental and he took out 190,000 dollars in loans. During our UOP interview they said it would be 250,000 for UOP. Its not that big of a difference considering most of it is due to to living in San Francisco.

What about UCSF, how much does do students take out?

I am not sure, but i would imagine maybe a little higher than UCLA since living in SF is more expensive.

SloppyJoe said:
Keep in mind you get out a year earlier too, which adds an extra year to your dental career. You'll make up that extra $50k or so in the long run.

DREDAY said:

Your friend must have eaten lobsters every day for four years and driven a new 5 series bimmers. :) The UC ( LA/SF) tuition was raised this year to $22k. Before it was $12k or less. Even if you count tools ( $17k) and materials/books ($5k),food/rent/living expenses ($?) - $190k it’s too much.

atlanta478 said:
Your friend must have eaten lobsters every day for four years and driven a new 5 series bimmers. :) The UC ( LA/SF) tuition was raised this year to $22k. Before it was $12k or less. Even if you count tools ( $17k) and materials/books ($5k),food/rent/living expenses ($?) - $190k it’s too much.

Here are the estimates according to the UCSF webpage:
http://saawww.ucsf.edu/financial/general/budget.htm

$48,933 + $49,186 + $47,635 +43,708 = $189,462

Looks pretty close to $190k to me.

atlanta478 said:
The key word was “took” $190k. I sad it was unrealistic. Regarding the future UC students expenses, you’re correct.

and that is how much he has chosen to take in loans. He is a 1st year dental student.

I think for UCSF and UCLA around 180-190k is right. UOP is around 250-270. Let us say that it is an 80k difference. The average dentist makes 170k a year, which is twice that. People say, "but starting dentists only make 100k a year". If you have an extra year taking the average salary would make more sense. Not to mention UOP has a great program, faculty and students. I think money should not be a real issue when choosing a dental school unless you can go to a real cheap state school(non-CA). For California schools I would just choose the program you like the most.

xxdakinexx said:
I think for UCSF and UCLA around 180-190k is right. UOP is around 250-270. Let us say that it is an 80k difference. The average dentist makes 170k a year, which is twice that. People say, "but starting dentists only make 100k a year". If you have an extra year taking the average salary would make more sense. Not to mention UOP has a great program, faculty and students. I think money should not be a real issue when choosing a dental school unless you can go to a real cheap state school(non-CA). For California schools I would just choose the program you like the most.

I agree. :thumbup: Cost of attendance is no longer that big of a difference in california... except for USC which is still 100 thousand dollars more than a UC.