UNT Post-baccalaureate Premedical Certification Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So...we're looking at the weekend of Aug 6?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the weekend of Aug 6 is best if it will increase the number of people which can get together.

Aug 6th may allow for out-of-towners, since they should be here in Fort Worth by then....:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I should phrase that as "the weekend of Aug 6-7." It matters not to me whether it be Saturday or Sunday.

Any thoughts?

DocKW said:
If we all can work cooperatively toward our common goal of becoming physicians, we will be more likely to achieve it, right? :)

Absoluteamente (didn't know I spoke Spanish did you? I'm probably one of the few Mexican Americans/Germans in captivity that doesn't speak either of those two languages, but can belt out most of the Philippine national anthem in tagalog).

Anyway, enough about my cultural muttism. You are absolutely right. Remember the old adage that Together Everyone Achieves More. Being older I'm looking at it like when it's all said and done and I'm preparing to meet my Maker, I want to be remembered as someone who went out of his way to help others, no matter how much time I spent with them.

August 6th works for me. Are we thinking Ft. Worth? Do we have any vegans in the group? While I'm not, I just wanted to be sure to include everyone who wanted to attend and not limit it by choice of place to meet....No, I don't have food on the brain.....

ILoveIceCream said:
I heard from somewhere that some of those classes will be with the TCOM medical students. How are they expecting us to get a 3.5 GPA taking medical school level classes considering that I know of very few people who get all A's and B's in medical school?

HAve you guys heard of this?

Ok, based on information I've heard....

The post-bacc program is in with all the other biomed students. Most of those are PhD/MS candidates. We are graded to their level. That means most of the exams are short answer/essay. You are expected to know the material in detail (so you can teach it to other college level students - which is what some PhD's do). Also, from what I understand, some of the grades are based on the best student in the class. By that I mean that if the prof feels the highest grade on a paper deserves an 82, everyone else is graded accordingly. There are some large curves from what I understand.

Now, in many casual conversations I've been told that the correlating classes in med. school are multiple choice. Since we've all done those at some point, I'm assuming everyone know the tricks to taking a scantron test. Now, I am in no way saying med. school is a breeze. It's hard, gut wrenching, sweat inducing work that will wring you out so bad that your cuticles hurt from what I'm told (sorry, if you haven't guessed it by now, I've got a really sanguine/melodramatic personality).....

However, everyone I've talked with has said both are definitely doable. You just need to maintain your focus. Most were extremely grateful for the post bacc as it was a good experience and they learned a lot that helped them.

Remember, everyone has classes they like and do well at and others that they're not as successful at. I was actually told that if I didn't have a year of high school chemistry or take the pre-chem prep class there was no way I could expect to be successful in chemistry no matter what, end of story. I took both semesters of Gen. Chem. in one physical semester and made A's. Depends on motivation. I'm not trying to toot my own horn. I had help, asked questions, made friends with the professor and lab instructor and studied. Gen. Chem. and work became my life for that semester (thank God for supportive spouses/families).

I'm just jazzed on starting my new career in some form or fashion.....

How many of you did your undergrad at UNT? I will be attending in the Fall and was just curious. If any of you did what were you majors?

GOOD LUCK to everyone!

Hello, pronto.:)

Undergrad bio major here, graduating this summer. I opted out of foreign language in lieu of more science (I'm not sure that's an option anymore). UNT has a wealth of scientific minds. We have a brand spankin' new chemistry building, one of the area's (if not country's) top forensic anthropologists, and we boast the Center for Network Neuroscience. You can specialize (unofficially) in ecology, general biology, micro, neuro, and plant sciences. That's how diverse the electives are here. Any of my undergrad chums who have gone onto med school say they are VERY pleased with the instruction they got here, as far as preparing them for med school. We also have a new forensics program starting in the fall.

UNTlabrat said:
Hello, pronto.:)

Undergrad bio major here, graduating this summer. I opted out of foreign language in lieu of more science (I'm not sure that's an option anymore). UNT has a wealth of scientific minds. We have a brand spankin' new chemistry building, one of the area's (if not country's) top forensic anthropologists, and we boast the Center for Network Neuroscience. You can specialize (unofficially) in ecology, general biology, micro, neuro, and plant sciences. That's how diverse the electives are here. Any of my undergrad chums who have gone onto med school say they are VERY pleased with the instruction they got here, as far as preparing them for med school. We also have a new forensics program starting in the fall.

That sounds AWESOME! :D I also have an interest in ecology and that "new" ecology builing looks nice. What do you want to do after post-bacc? TCOM? or MD school?

Thanks for the reply.

honestly, I'm not too sure I want to go to med school, anymore *collective gasp from thread* I'm leaning towards getting my forensics certification, a second BS (in chem) and going into toxicology, which mean I may yet give up my post-bacc seat before the summer is out.

In the meantime, I'm still waitlisted at TCOM. If I get pulled, I will try to defer, and of course, give up my post-bacc seat. I have a lot to think about, mostly my family situation, and how much longer I'm willing to NOT work.

Good luck to you, pronto. I think you'll be pleased with your education at UNT. :)

Hey I was wandering if anyone has already submitted their fasfa and fin aid. questioner. I also wandering if anyone knows how much tution will be.

Good point...and are we supposed to pay for the tuition now? How much is it? Will they send us a bill? Are we supposed to register for those classes?

It seems like the only thing that they want from us so far is our health history to be up to date.

Go here http://www.hsc.unt.edu/departments/financialaid/ and click on "I would like to know how to apply for financial aid at UNTHSC." This document outlines what you need to do in order to apply for financial aid.

I would also take the time to make a detailed budget of all of your expenses this upcoming year, and determine how much you would need. Since most of us will be applying to medical school while in the program, secondary costs, interviews fees, etc. should also be allocated within your budget.

Hope this helps! :)

Do any of you have your insurance yet. I was looking at the insurance options they posted on their website and don't know whether not to sign up. Also I was also wandering do any of yall of your immunizations done.

afabela said:
Do any of you have your insurance yet. I was looking at the insurance options they posted on their website and don't know whether not to sign up. Also I was also wandering do any of yall of your immunizations done.

I've finished up my immunizations with the exception of one or two in the 'series' type of immunizations. Feeling like a pin cushion.

IS anyone getting a notebook for school? I acutally qualified for 2880.00 in fin. aid for a computer purchase. I really dont know if i need one. However i would love to have one of those tablet pcs though. any way hope everyone is doing fine.

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten housing yet? I had a little surgery done a couple of weeks ago and I have a difficult time going to Fort Worth to check out apt. It would be extremely helpful if the people who checked it out or have housing can tell me what the name of the place is and how much it is. Thank you!

wow, it's been a while since I've last posted...and evidently, it's been awhile since ANYBODY has posted. I went to Fort Worth for a day last week and got an apartment at the Monticello Crossroads, which is close to UNTHSC. I'll move there by the end of July. How is everyone doing? I went onto the post-bac live chat thing when it was online and the chat system they had running was pretty bad. But I did manage to meet a couple of my future classmates and I know that this coming year will be wonderful for all of us. I hope that everyone who has received an acceptance to the postbac program at UNT will be nice and open to meet new people. I know that I am excited to meet all of you. My email address is [email protected] and drop me a line and I'll give ya my sn and we can have a little chat before school starts. In the meantime, I hope that all of you had a wonderful and hopefully restful summer. I cannot wait to meet all of you. G'night.

I'm glad you found an apartment, ILoveIceCream. I'll be staying at Cumberland Apts off of Bryant Irving.

I'm am looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation! :)