Unspoken of Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DedosdelosPies

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about the following externships/residencies: DVA AL, DVA Atlanta or Mountain Home? That is, has anyone done an externship or residency there or know of anyone who has? I'm looking for program emphasis, research, ability to get surgical numbers, hours worked, lifestyle in general, climate/surroundings, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard a little bit about each of these programs, but I'm not going to play telephone with you on smatterings of information I heard 8 months ago. It looks like one of the spots at DVA Atlanta might be a forefoot only spot and that might not be entirely clear in the CASPR materials. The CASPR directory is down right now so I can't verify what they report against what a classmate reported.

It is rolling up on 2 years, but I did one of my externships at DVA ATL: (so don't go on everything I say as may have changed)

program emphasis - I would say mostly wound care, there is a complex care clinic with the director with larger cases they have for surgery.
research - Not sure/Can't remember.
ability to get surgical numbers - You will get your surgery numbers, but may not be as extensive as some programs. A lot of cases come from surgery centers
hours worked - its a VA so usual 8-5 ish
lifestyle in general - The residents are all really great, laid back. The work is hard though, you will see ALOT of wounds during clinic so have to be on top of your clinic game; The attendings are also very nice. When i rotated they offered RF/FF for all spots, but during interviews found out that they only had one RF and others were FF only so it swayed my ranking a bit. But overall was a very nice place to work and down to earth. Depends on if you are looking to be in cases all day or you want a more clinic/case combo lifestyl.
climate/surroundings - I think I included above. I love the area the hospital is in.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is rolling up on 2 years, but I did one of my externships at DVA ATL: (so don't go on everything I say as may have changed)

program emphasis - I would say mostly wound care, there is a complex care clinic with the director with larger cases they have for surgery.
research - Not sure/Can't remember.
ability to get surgical numbers - You will get your surgery numbers, but may not be as extensive as some programs. A lot of cases come from surgery centers
hours worked - its a VA so usual 8-5 ish
lifestyle in general - The residents are all really great, laid back. The work is hard though, you will see ALOT of wounds during clinic so have to be on top of your clinic game; The attendings are also very nice. When i rotated they offered RF/FF for all spots, but during interviews found out that they only had one RF and others were FF only so it swayed my ranking a bit. But overall was a very nice place to work and down to earth. Depends on if you are looking to be in cases all day or you want a more clinic/case combo lifestyl.
climate/surroundings - I think I included above. I love the area the hospital is in.
Hmm sounds like down my alley! Thanks for the feedback! About how many inpatients per day would you say?

Their inpatient list wasn't much when I was there. 3-4 patients if I remember correctly, but dont judge by that; lists fluctuate like the weather.

Their inpatient list wasn't much when I was there. 3-4 patients if I remember correctly, but dont judge by that; lists fluctuate like the weather.
Got ya. Yeah I heard lately that the DVA in Philly isn't too busy. When I did an ID rotation at Kennedy, their inpatient list was anywhere from 10-30. It being my first outside rotation, I felt a bit overwhelmed. But I was just the student of course with a DO student and the IM resident. The ID fellow also helped.

Every place will be different. At my residency the list is usually around 10. Sometimes more, somtimes less... The more you see the more you learn though!

Every place will be different. At my residency the list is usually around 10. Sometimes more, somtimes less... The more you see the more you learn though!
Hey thanks for the feedback!