Unspoken discrimination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaTrapped

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I went to pharmacy school I expected to be friends with all of my classmates, instead I was met with isolation. I was ostracized, only spoken to when people needed things from me. I noticed a lot of people stayed within their ethnic or fraternity groups.

Although programs are supposed to rate applicants on objective measures, do they ever discriminate based on gender, socioeconomic class, nationality, race, weight, beauty or lack thereof?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m gonna disagree with you having thick skin

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think your whole class ostracized you, the problem is probably you

When I went to pharmacy school I expected to be friends with all of my classmates, instead I was met with isolation. I was ostracized, only spoken to when people needed things from me. I noticed a lot of people stayed within their ethnic or fraternity groups. When I went to Midyear some program directors didn't even want to shake my hand or make eye contact. At first I was not bothered by this because of the busy nature of the event, but I started to ruminate on past experiences and think "do people look down on me even before they get to know me?".

Although programs are supposed to rate applicants on objective measures, do they ever discriminate based on gender, socioeconomic class, nationality, race, weight, beauty or lack thereof? I feel hesitant to apply to programs where I was treated coldly compared to other P4s. I have a thick skin, but sometimes I feel like I am fighting a never-ending battle to try to constantly prove to society that "I am just as smart and capable as the majority".

Behind closed doors do RPDs and committees engage in discrimination?

When you apply for a job, one important thing is how well you will be able to work with your coworkers, coresidents, preceptors. Think about that very closely because that alone can make or break your experience. I know a handful of pharmacists that dropped from their residency program because of difficult work environments and "potential" discrimination.

As to whether it happens, absolutely it does. Can you easily prove it? That is a lot more difficult to do. But I encourage you to also think about it from the other side. It seems like this may be occurring to you at a rate higher than what might be considered normal. Are you also doing your due diligence to prevent others from having a negative impression of you.

If you think your whole class ostracized you, the problem is probably you

Ok, so I was treated nicely by some people, but never made any close friends. I heard people making comments about my nationality and looks. So what can I do to fix my "inferior" genetic composition? Joking aside, what are some practical things to work on to improve my chances of surviving in pharmacy.

Last edited:
Ok, so I was treated nicely by some people, but never made any close friends. I heard people making comments about my nationality and looks. So what can I do to fix my "inferior" genetic composition? Joking aside, what are some practical things to work on to improve my chances of surviving in pharmacy.
Actually develop a thick skin, learn how to make friends, dress like you care about your appearance and stay in reasonable shape, be approachable and teachable

Actually develop a thick skin, learn how to make friends, dress like you care about your appearance and stay in reasonable shape, be approachable and teachable

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying my best to graduate with the least amount of student loan debt, so I don't have a lot of brand name clothes.
I guess lionheart was the only one who really addressed the question about physical discrimination. I just wanted to get more input.

Thought experiment:
The program has 2 positions and has a choice between 3 prospective residents with similar GPAs, work, research, extracurricular and personality profiles. If one applicant stands out physically due to gender, nationality or weight, would this weigh negatively against them?

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying my best to graduate with the least amount of student loan debt, so I don't have a lot of brand name clothes.
I guess lionheart was the only one who really addressed the question about physical discrimination. I just wanted to get more input.

Thought experiment:
The program has 2 positions and has a choice between 3 prospective residents with similar GPAs, work, research, extracurricular and personality profiles. If one applicant stands out physically due to gender, nationality or weight, would this weigh negatively against them?
most statistics show the minority is more likely to get the position within medical academia.....everyone prefers decent looking people.....

you don't need brand name clothes, just look like you actually tried to be presentable and care about yourself.....be a friendly person....be good at your job

you are overthinking this

You mean having implicit bias? Happens all the time

Can you work well with others considering this bias? Up to you

Not making friends, try a different approach. Feeling isolated in a crowd, find a positive way to stand out (assume opportunities to prove yourself and worth)

Do RPDs and others have implicit bias that prevents them from making objective decisions about candidates? Sure

Present yourself how you want to be perceived. Only you can control that, forget about the stuff you cant change (race, gender, etc..)

At midyear a few years back I interviewed for a position at the University of Pittsburgh and the receptionist secretary lady REFUSED to shake my hand and acknowledged me. I laughed audibly and walked away, the RPD asked me to come back and apologized.... Long story, same lady was still working for the program in 2017.

Nothing ever changes with these type of things. Present yourself in your best light, and tell everyone to **** off..

Reactions: 2 users

Life's not fair and discrimination happens. But the biggest negative would be a defeatist or hostile attitude and/or projecting a lack of confidence. An overweight person who looks at the floor and doesn't smile would not be as appealing a candidate as a high-energy fit applicant with a ready smile and a firm handshake.

Your gender and nationality are almost certainly not major obstacles, and there's nothing you can do about those in any case. Your weight (if problematic) is a minor obstacle and one you can minimize with a positive demeanor and even overcome with some dedicated effort. We've all met people who are not objectively beautiful, but who have that certain something (energy, confidence, happiness) that makes them sparkle. Cultivate that.

Reactions: 1 user