Unpaid research fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cantaloupe5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking for some advice about my situation.

Background: >260 Step 1, 3 derm pubs/posters/presentations (one 1st-author paper), halfway through MS3 with HP on all 3/3 rotations so far (AOA unlikely), mid-tier school
Given my minimal reseach and subpar clinical grades, I'm pretty sure I'd need to do a research year to be competitive. I'm well known in my home derm program, the faculty like me and both the PD and big-shot chair have expressed their willigness to support my application. The PD is also offering me an (unpaid) research fellowship between MS3 and MS4.

My first question is it even worth doing a research year with my clinical grades. I'm doing all the right things everyone says and getting great feedback but Honors at my school is so infuriating and site-dependent (some sites literally give every student clinical honors while others make you move mountains for it). I have 3 rotations left so assuming I'm hoping the law of averages works out and I can swing at least 2 Honors. I'm okay with taking a year off to make up for my lack of research if I actually have a decent shot with my grades, but if it's out of reach, I'd rather not waste a year.

My second question is, should I try to find a paid fellowship? I know that my best shot of matching would be at my home program so I don't wanna burn bridges here but being able to pay for living expensives without borrowing more money would be nice. Is it possible to tactfully tell the PD that I'd like to at least apply for a paid fellowship before committing to his unpaid one? Or should I just bite the bullet and stick with my home program?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, looking for some advice about my situation.

Background: >260 Step 1, 3 derm pubs/posters/presentations (one 1st-author paper), halfway through MS3 with HP on all 3/3 rotations so far (AOA unlikely), mid-tier school
Given my minimal reseach and subpar clinical grades, I'm pretty sure I'd need to do a research year to be competitive. I'm well known in my home derm program, the faculty like me and both the PD and big-shot chair have expressed their willigness to support my application. The PD is also offering me an (unpaid) research fellowship between MS3 and MS4.

My first question is it even worth doing a research year with my clinical grades. I'm doing all the right things everyone says and getting great feedback but Honors at my school is so infuriating and site-dependent (some sites literally give every student clinical honors while others make you move mountains for it). I have 3 rotations left so assuming I'm hoping the law of averages works out and I can swing at least 2 Honors. I'm okay with taking a year off to make up for my lack of research if I actually have a decent shot with my grades, but if it's out of reach, I'd rather not waste a year.

My second question is, should I try to find a paid fellowship? I know that my best shot of matching would be at my home program so I don't wanna burn bridges here but being able to pay for living expensives without borrowing more money would be nice. Is it possible to tactfully tell the PD that I'd like to at least apply for a paid fellowship before committing to his unpaid one? Or should I just bite the bullet and stick with my home program?

1) I definitely do not think derm is out of reach for you. In fact, you could make the argument that you may not need a research year if your home program is that supportive

2) I think this depends on your financial situation and your desire to stay at your home program for residency. For me, I'm not much of a risk taker. The fact that your PD is offering you a research fellowship is already a good sign (has this been done before? have the previous research fellows matched?). I would guess that if you were to do the unpaid fellowship you'd probably lock down a spot at your home program. You have to weigh that against the risk of doing a year elsewhere and possibly losing a chance to be ranked to match at your home program. I personally would stick with your home program but you'll need to evaluate your finances to see where you stand.

Reactions: 1 user
1) I definitely do not think derm is out of reach for you. In fact, you could make the argument that you may not need a research year if your home program is that supportive

2) I think this depends on your financial situation and your desire to stay at your home program for residency. For me, I'm not much of a risk taker. The fact that your PD is offering you a research fellowship is already a good sign (has this been done before? have the previous research fellows matched?). I would guess that if you were to do the unpaid fellowship you'd probably lock down a spot at your home program. You have to weigh that against the risk of doing a year elsewhere and possibly losing a chance to be ranked to match at your home program. I personally would stick with your home program but you'll need to evaluate your finances to see where you stand.

I am also risk averse which is why I’m leaning towards doing a research year instead of rolling the dice without one. The PD has a good track record of previous student fellows matching at both the home program and elsewhere.

I don’t really have any geographic restrictions - I just want to match somewhere. I’m not the most well-off financially but I’ve been fortunately able to get some need-based scholarships so I’ll be graduated with about 100k of debt. It’s just hard to swallow the pill of another 20-30k borrowed to live in a high COL city for a year. It’s a drop in the bucket compared to the one year’s attending salary I’d be giving up but it sure feels like A LOT of money right now.

I am also risk averse which is why I’m leaning towards doing a research year instead of rolling the dice without one. The PD has a good track record of previous student fellows matching at both the home program and elsewhere.

I don’t really have any geographic restrictions - I just want to match somewhere. I’m not the most well-off financially but I’ve been fortunately able to get some need-based scholarships so I’ll be graduated with about 100k of debt. It’s just hard to swallow the pill of another 20-30k borrowed to live in a high COL city for a year. It’s a drop in the bucket compared to the one year’s attending salary I’d be giving up but it sure feels like A LOT of money right now.

I would also personally go with a research year at your home program. It increases your chances a lot of matching at your home program based on being hard working and well liked, especially if you foresee having more HPs than Hs.

Reactions: 2 users