Unofficial 2009 EM ROL Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not quite sure how to take this so I don't want to jump to any conclusions.

I'm expecting to be beaten down and sucked under during residency. I'm not going to enjoy it, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Perhaps it's just semantics, but I don't know what you mean by "beaten down and sucked under," but that does not sound like the best way to approach residency. My favorite rotations in med school have been the ones where I felt challenged, sometimes overwhelmed, but I always felt I had support when I needed it and learned medicine. "Beaten down and sucked under" just sounds like malignant slave labor, and I'm not going into surgery for a reason.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not posting my list until Match day has come and gone. Sorry...

What's wrong with posting after our rank lists are due on Feb 25?

As a quick aside, it is similar reason I'm not posting interview reviews until AFTER Feb 25. I don't want other people to know the reasoning behind my favorite programs until after they can't change their ROL. Silly?

What's wrong with posting after our rank lists are due on Feb 25?

As a quick aside, it is similar reason I'm not posting interview reviews until AFTER Feb 25. I don't want other people to know the reasoning behind my favorite programs until after they can't change their ROL. Silly?
yes - silly, selfish and way too gunner-esque...hope you don't come here

Members don't see this ad :)
yes - silly, selfish and way too gunner-esque...hope you don't come here

Wow, that's the first time I've EVER been accused of being a gunner. The first time you post in the thread is to troll me? Classy.

Wow, that's the first time I've EVER been accused of being a gunner. The first time you post in the thread is to troll me? Classy.

Well, keeping others from getting ahead is the definition of a gunner.... It does seem kind of selfish to keep a perhaps useful review of a residency from other people just so they don't discover your gem of a program. Why not hide your favorite books in the library as well?

Well, keeping others from getting ahead is the definition of a gunner.... It does seem kind of selfish to keep a perhaps useful review of a residency from other people just so they don't discover your gem of a program. Why not hide your favorite books in the library as well?

Perhaps your definition of gunner is different from mine, but to me "gunner" possesses the connotation of cheating, which clearly does not meet the standard here. If not publishing a residency interview is gunner-esque, then almost everyone is a gunner since the interview reviews have been very slim this year.

Hiding books from the library is unethical because that is directly sabotaging others by hiding key pieces of information for them to pass their courses. What I have chosen to do is akin to going to a crowded bar and noticing that only 10 bottles of my favorite beer is left. I’m not stopping anyone from ordering it, but I’m certainly not getting on stage and announcing, “Ladies and gentlemen. XYZ is the best beer the world! So smooth and refreshing! I hope everyone has the chance to drink it.”

I couldn't agree more. In fact I think that reviews that are written after the ROL decisions have been made will be more honest and in depth. With the knowledge that there are plenty of program leadership using this board, any review before the match will be vague at most.

ROL has officially been certified. Bring the heat Match Day.

And now for some Chill Will Bourbon.

Perhaps your definition of gunner is different from mine, but to me "gunner" possesses the connotation of cheating, which clearly does not meet the standard here. If not publishing a residency interview is gunner-esque, then almost everyone is a gunner since the interview reviews have been very slim this year.

Hiding books from the library is unethical because that is directly sabotaging others by hiding key pieces of information for them to pass their courses. What I have chosen to do is akin to going to a crowded bar and noticing that only 10 bottles of my favorite beer is left. I’m not stopping anyone from ordering it, but I’m certainly not getting on stage and announcing, “Ladies and gentlemen. XYZ is the best beer the world! So smooth and refreshing! I hope everyone has the chance to drink it.”

First, 10 bottles of your favorite beer ARE left.

Second, if your top program wants you to be there, I don't see how talking the place up on the forums will hurt your chances.

First, 10 bottles of your favorite beer ARE left.

Second, if your top program wants you to be there, I don't see how talking the place up on the forums will hurt your chances.

Yes...that's exactly what I was thinking.

And there is always the chance that your review of said program will convince someone who is ranked higher than you by said program to change their ranking, thus placing them at another program and you at said program... :rolleyes:

How about we could post our lists without explaining them now? I think even if you explain your decisions, I doubt people would find enough useful new imformation in them to change their decisions based on what some strangers think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I already matched my #1 in the osteo match (Einstein), and have nothing to lose I'll go ahead and post.

Rank
1 Albert Einstein Med Ctr-PA
2 Drexel Univ COM/Hahnemann Univ Hosp-PA
3 Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA
4 Cook County-Stroger Hospital-IL catagorical
5 St Lukes-Bethlehem-PA
6 Allegheny Gen Hosp-PA
7 Geisinger Health System-PA
8 Lehigh Valley Hosp-PA
9 Long Island Jewish Med Ctr-NY
10 Cook County-Stroger Hospital-IL advanced
11 Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY
12 Maimonides Med Ctr-NY
13 York Hospital-PA

Since I already matched my #1 in the osteo match (Einstein), and have nothing to lose I'll go ahead and post.

Rank
5 St Lukes-Bethlehem-PA
6 Allegheny Gen Hosp-PA
8 Lehigh Valley Hosp-PA
12 Maimonides Med Ctr-NY
13 York Hospital-PA

Since everything is in the rear view mirror, can you share your reasons for ranking them as you did? Congratulations btw.

Rank
5 St Lukes-Bethlehem-PA
6 Allegheny Gen Hosp-PA
8 Lehigh Valley Hosp-PA
12 Maimonides Med Ctr-NY
13 York Hospital-PA

Congrats! :) Must be a good feeling. 35 days for the rest of us! (Excuse me, I think I have to go throw up now)

I don't mind and would have posted my list earlier, but it's been difficult making up my mind. So I'm posting it to put an end and not gonna change it anymore. Not going to explain much, but generally I want to stay in NYC, want to stay close to Manhattan but have family and SO outside, prefer 3y>4y. At the end I decided to go where the training is.

1)Jacobi/Monti - rotated here. Loved it. Family nearby = housing/food/TLC
2)Downstate - IMHO, #1 and #2 are the only 2 programs that are worth the 4yrs for me in NYC. Also family in brooklyn.
3)Maimonides - IMHO, the strongest 3 yr training in NYC. 4yr's worth in 3yrs.
4)SUNY Stonybrook - the most well-rounded program on my list.
5)St Lukes Roosevelt - love the location/housing
6)Beth Israel
7)Methodist
8)NYHQ
9)Mt Sinai
10)Cornell/Columbia - Struggled with this one, but 4yrs and feel like I could get better training elsewhere so don't care to rank it higher for the name, that doesn't go far in EM world anyways
11)Lincoln
12)LIJ

I'm not quite sure how to take this so I don't want to jump to any conclusions.

I'm expecting to be beaten down and sucked under during residency. I'm not going to enjoy it, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

I agree. There's a fine line for me... I want a place to challenge me but not break me down. I think that's part of my deal with Resurrection and Stony Brook- almost too cush. I guess I feel that it would be tough to go from there to a county but not the other way around. Does that seem reasonable?

I agree. There's a fine line for me... I want a place to challenge me but not break me down. I think that's part of my deal with Resurrection and Stony Brook- almost too cush. I guess I feel that it would be tough to go from there to a county but not the other way around. Does that seem reasonable?

That's basically how I feel. I *love* skiing, kayaking, and playing with puppies... but I feel that while it's important to live someplace you like, it's also incredibely important to get the best training possible during residency. In my opinion, residency is our one shot at getting the really crazy, 'hard-core' training that prepares us to work anywhere - and then we can do whatever we want. But it's important to know that you CAN, indeed, do what you want, and not find yourself unprepared for county hospitals or even war zones (hey, you never know!). So, for better or worse, I'm getting ready to roll up my sleeves and dive into a tough county program (wherever that may be... :scared:). I can ski on vacation ;)

This thread is USELESS WITHOUT LISTS!!!!

Well I don't mind sharing mine. At this point, if I get moved down a program's list because I didn't rank them #1, then I'd rather not go there. But I trust in programs to realize that just because they aren't at the top of a list doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to go there, and that they should still rank me highly so they can snap up a bargain should I fall to that position on my list :)D). But I digress...

1. University of Illinois at Peoria (Peoria, IL): At first I thought, ugh Peoria. Then I went there and found that although the town wasn't the largest around, the hospital was fantastic. Big level 1 trauma center in the middle of the state. Two shifts a month are done on the helicopter whenever you're in the ED. Plus a starting salary of over 49k is nice. They have a good mix of ICU as well as exposure into fields like anesthesia, ENT, ophtho, etc, without keeping you there too long. The two story ED was kind of odd to me at first, but they make it work.

2. Texas A&M, Christus Spohn Hospital (Corpus Christi, TX): The thing that held me back with this program is their newness. Started a few years ago, they just haven't had enough time to develop a track record. But the way they have the program set up it looks to be a good up and coming program. The only other residency program at the hospital is family medicine so there's no interference from surgery residents when you're on trauma. The hospital is a level II trauma center but has a large catchment area and gets a lot of inbound trauma by helicopter. The attending to resident ratio is low and the volume is average so there's plenty of time for didactic teaching in the ED. Salary was pretty low but the cost of living is comparable. There are a lot of volunteer EMS units around so if you have free time you can go run with them.

3. Wright State (Dayton, OH): The downside for this program can also be seen as an upside- you rotate through 7 different hospitals. It's good in that you can see how lots of different places work and learn in different systems, but the downside is you spend a lot of time early in the rotations spinning your wheels trying to learn the hospital-specific stuff. But they have a strong didactic program and their simulators are phenomenal. Best food of any program also. This was also the only program that didn't offer to provide all of the required texts free of charge.

4. University of Missouri- Truman Hospital (Kansas City, MO): Big hospital, heart of Kansas City, but unfortunately ringed by other level 1 trauma centers at the town's periphery so incoming helicopters don't come here very much. The ER is very well laid out, patient flow seemed supraoptimal. The PD is very resident friendly (not to say others aren't but this one stood out). Downside, lowest salary of any of the programs I looked at.

5. UMDNJ- Cooper Hospital (Camden, NJ): Second most dangerous city in the country so trauma is not an issue here. The ED is getting revamped but in the meantime it's so cramped, beds lining every available inch of hallway, overcrowding at the nurses station because there's a lot of staff and not much room. Good didactics, good administrative support. The hesitation for me here came primarily from the surrounding cost of living.

6. Albert Einstein (Philadelphia, PA): Ok, this was a painful one. I rotated here as a medical student and absolutely loved it. The program is outstanding, the faculty is amazing and the learning experience is beyond compare. The problem for me is that it's 4 years. I have nothing against 4 year programs in general, in fact I'm a believer that 4 years is better than 3. But I'm finishing a surgical internship now (which unfortunately because of the surgical focus makes me ineligible for advanced placement into a 4yr EM program at most places thanks to the lack of ICU, peds, OB, IM, etc) and I have military commitments. My advisor said that although I could do a 4 year program it would not be in my best interest in the long run from a military standpoint. Otherwise, this would have been my top choice program.

7. University of Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson, MS): I applied to match as a PGY2 and this program was one of the few 4 year programs that didn't mind my surgical focus. The curriculum was great. I especially liked that they've set up a continuity clinic in the ED so that you can see a lot of the patients that you send home with lacerations, unimpressive abdomens, etc, and see what the outcome was (how did your sewing job turn out, etc). They also do a bit of time in telemedicine which may be an upcoming wave. The downside for me: I live in Mississippi now, and my spouse doesn't want to anymore. She said if it was where I got in she would be ok with it, but she wanted every opportunity to go somewhere else first.

8. University of California San Francisco- Fresno Campus (Fresno, CA): This being another 4 year program, with the reasons mentioned before, pushed this to the bottom of my list. This despite them having an ED the size of a football field, 4 helipads on the roof which get used with startling regularity, and a strong ICU setup. The one thing that did concern me was the manner in which you progressed through the ED from 1st year to 4th year- 1st years primarily assigned to the "green zone", 2nd years to the "yellow zone", and so on. Although every so often things of higher acuity end up in the lower zones it still was a suboptimal progression in my mind.

And that's my list. For the past few weeks I went round and round with the top 5 continually rotating who was in the top spot. Realistically, I would be happy with any of the programs on my list (otherwise I wouldn't rank them).

That's basically how I feel. I *love* skiing, kayaking, and playing with puppies... but I feel that while it's important to live someplace you like, it's also incredibely important to get the best training possible during residency.

Should I take this personally?:laugh:

(skiing? puppies? reference my blog in the signature below)

Last edited:
ooops, double post!

Should I take this personally?:laugh:

(reference my blog in the signature below)

I wouldn't. She will be coming to us when on vacation to find out where all of the sweet backcountry stuff is. We will be LIGHTYEARS ahead. :D

Haha, not at all you guys!! I *love* puppies and skiing - Pinner Doc, I am actually VERY jealous of your living situation! (I've seen the photos of your puppies... oh my god, I just want to pet them all day!) I'm actually hoping to get a dog myself, probaly during PGY-3 when the schedule is a little lighter... but anyway, before I digress too much - I love all those things too. I just feel that I (personally) need to know that I trained at the most "hardcore" place possible. Now, as to why... here's the thing - I spent four months in South Africa, about three of those doing trauma surgery at Bara and Joberg Gen (in Soweto and Johannesburg, respectfully; there are separate threads about these places on the forum). These places make our craziest conty hospitals look relatively tame, and I loved it. More importantly, I was just amazed at the competency of the docs out there - these guys can do anything (and probably some things they shouldn't be doing... but anyway). And since I want to do some international work in the future - in Africa in particular, including developing EM out there - I feel that I have to train at a place that puts me on the same footing as them. That also means doing some work abroad during residency, but primarily it means that my training has to be as "hardcore" as possible. I just can't do anything less ;).

Now, that's completely MY problem - I *WISH* I could be happy doing a residnecy somewhere a little more relaxed, friendly, and with better skiing options. I really do. But that's just not me, so i'm being honest with myself and going for programs that are at least in cities I like and can get to outdoorsy stuff w/ a car (even if it means having to drive an hour or two for the beach or a decent hike).

<-- a little crazy. (but i like it that way :p)

Q

Here is my ROL:

1.) The Baton Rouge LSU program at the Honorable Earl K. Long Hospital
2.) Tufts-Baystate in Springfield, Ma----Super awesome program.
3.) Chattanooga, Tenn-- Awesome town, new program
4.) The Shreveport LSU program--I really felt like I could "fit-in" in this program.

thats all folks.....I always knew where I wanted to go. I went on a few extra interviews and really enjoyed them all. I would be happy at any one of the above programs.

1. University of Illinois at Peoria (Peoria, IL): At first I thought, ugh Peoria. Then I went there and found that although the town wasn't the largest around, the hospital was fantastic. Big level 1 trauma center in the middle of the state. Two shifts a month are done on the helicopter whenever you're in the ED. Plus a starting salary of over 49k is nice. They have a good mix of ICU as well as exposure into fields like anesthesia, ENT, ophtho, etc, without keeping you there too long. The two story ED was kind of odd to me at first, but they make it work.
I was especially surprised by the quality of the program. Now, I'm stuck deciding between it and Wash U. I love their program as well, but it's a 4 year program with about 5k per year lower pay and significantly higher cost of living. I'm surprised I don't seem to see Wash U on more lists since it's such a stellar medical school (#1 most difficult to get into last year) and Barnes is consistently a top 10 hospital. You know you'll get a great learning experience and St Louis is a great town.

On the other hand, Peoria has one of the best costs of living combined with great pay, great faculty and residents and a really nice hospital. The color of the "white" coats may make me cringe, and the town isn't spectacular, but I found pretty much everything else about the program was excellent.

Here is my ROL:

1.) The Baton Rouge LSU program at the Honorable Earl K. Long Hospital
2.) Tufts-Baystate in Springfield, Ma----Super awesome program.
3.) Chattanooga, Tenn-- Awesome town, new program
4.) The Shreveport LSU program--I really felt like I could "fit-in" in this program.

thats all folks.....I always knew where I wanted to go. I went on a few extra interviews and really enjoyed them all. I would be happy at any one of the above programs.

Wow. A 4 program ROL. That takes cojones.

Yeah, I could see why some would feel this way. I am just confident that I will match. I cancelled six other interviews. I feel like I will match here in Baton Rouge. I did alot at the program. A month in the ED, a month of EM research with one of the head honchos. I also did an EMS admin/SWAT team elective with another MD associated with the program.

I guess if I don't match, I will be shocked and you'll see my ***** on the scramble threads...

Ok, I'm praying now!:xf:

Wow. A 4 program ROL. That takes cojones.

It just seemed like such a waste of money to go on anymore interviews. I would have loved to interview at Tampa...I love the tropics. I think I'll match in my top (only) 4 spots...haha

It just seemed like such a waste of money to go on anymore interviews. I would have loved to interview at Tampa...I love the tropics. I think I'll match in my top (only) 4 spots...haha

Sorry - I didn't mean to come off as picking on you. I definitely wasn't. I admire the confidence to be able to do that - I think it takes a more "go with the flow" personality than I will ever have!!

My #1 has 15 spots
#2 12
#3 might have 8
#4 i think 10

I have to be confident that I will match into one of those spots. I can't wait for match day. After the match we have a huge crawfish boil. This yr 3,000 lbs of crawfish....so yummy.

I am excited because our Ceremony is in a newly renovated lounge in the Superdome.

I was especially surprised by the quality of the program. Now, I'm stuck deciding between it and Wash U. I love their program as well, but it's a 4 year program with about 5k per year lower pay and significantly higher cost of living. I'm surprised I don't seem to see Wash U on more lists since it's such a stellar medical school (#1 most difficult to get into last year) and Barnes is consistently a top 10 hospital. You know you'll get a great learning experience and St Louis is a great town.

On the other hand, Peoria has one of the best costs of living combined with great pay, great faculty and residents and a really nice hospital. The color of the "white" coats may make me cringe, and the town isn't spectacular, but I found pretty much everything else about the program was excellent.

I figured having to wear powder-blue lab coats was a pretty small downside since we don't wear them very often in the ED. And although the town was small it seemed to have enough to keep me busy for when I wasn't working. And my wife liked the town. So all pluses to me.

So although to improve my chances I should suggest you rank Wash U higher, I can't in good conscience do that since I think Peoria is a better program.

1. Christiana - The tie breaker between this and my #2 was that I rotated here and loved it. I had zero negatives about this place.
2. Geisinger - This is really ranked 1b, as I will be equally excited if I match here. The minus is that it's not close to any major airports, and I have family on the other side of the country.
3. St. Luke's (Bethlehem) - Another stellar community program. But they do floor medicine and floor surgery, and I loathe rounding.
4. Cooper - Really impressive; if it weren't in Camden (Philly), it would be much higher. But every night shift, I would be worried about my family's safety at home.
5. Morristown - By far the most impressive ED I've seen. Patient population not the most diverse around, and it's a little far geographically from where we want to live.
6. York - I just didn't click with this place. On the surface it's a perfect program. There's nothing that I can put my finger on; just not for me.
7. Drexel - Being in Philly already put a strike against it (see #4). Maybe it was just a bad interview day, but I wan't all that impressed.
8. Penn State - Some place had to be last. And I heard some negatives from a Penn State student.

My #1 has 15 spots
#2 12
#3 might have 8
#4 i think 10

I have to be confident that I will match into one of those spots. I can't wait for match day. After the match we have a huge crawfish boil. This yr 3,000 lbs of crawfish....so yummy.

I am excited because our Ceremony is in a newly renovated lounge in the Superdome.
Mmmmmm, crawfish boil....

That brings back so many awesome memories. :love:

Good luck, bro. What you're doing takes stones. And you should be rewarded for it. :thumbup:

Me? I'm ranking all 12. There wasn't a program that I wouldn't want to go to.

I have to say, making up this list was one of the toughest things I've had to do, knowing that it would determine a good portion of the next 3 years of my life. All the programs I ended up ranking were so good in their own right that it was hard to call this a list of preferences and would be equally happy training at any of them.

1. Texas A&M-Scott & White: A great program, and that includes everything from people to residents to facilities. The location was a plus for me as it was close to family, and family friendly.

2. U Tennessee COM-Chattanooga: The new kid on the block, but look out. Chattanooga is a beautiful city, Erlanger is a really nice hospital, and they've assembeled a first-rate group of people here. The future at UT-EM looks to be really bright and I can only see this program's reputation and competitiveness grow exponentially.

3. Univ of MO-KC: The veteran program I interviewed at; UMKC has been training EM physicians for three decades now. Dr. Sullivan, the program director, is great and Truman is perhaps the nicest county hospital I've seen anywhere.

4. U IL-St Francis Med Ctr (Peoria): Another outstanding program, with a good group of people. Peoria vs. KC was the major reason for it ending up #4...per the wife. All these programs were so good that trying to differentiate between them in terms of quality was almost impossible.

5. Michigan St Univ-Kalamazoo: Still another outstanding program. Great PD, simulation facilities...but with it's location in Kalamazoo, SWMBO had other preferences. As the saying goes, "happy wife - happy life."

6. Case Western/MetroHealth Med Ctr-OH: Very strong program, with rotations at Metrohealth and Cleveland Clinic. Things got really subjective at this point.

7. U Kentucky Med Ctr: Strong program in Lexington, super program director...but far away from family.

Last edited:
1. northwestern
2. cincinnati
3. michigan
4. brown
5. vandy
6. carolinas
7. emory
8. maryland
9. maine
10. henry ford
11. u chicago
12. osu
13. umass

1 Emory
2 UTSW
3 CMC
4 Vandy
5 ORMC
6 Cincy
7 Indiana
8 Jax
9 Maryland
10 Georgetown

1. U Chicago
2. UTSW (would be number one if the wife didn't want to go back to Chicago)
3. Denver
4. Resurrection
5. Wright State
6. U Florida - Gainesville
7. Hopkins
8. U Illinois Peoria
9. U Kentucky
10. Metrohealth
11. University of Nevada
12. UT Houston

For those who care (no one):

1. Palmetto-Richland
2. Wake Forest
3. Carolinas
4. Orlando Regional
5. Vandy
6. VCU
7. UVA
8. UF- Gainesville
9. USF

I feel like my list was pretty easy for me to make, although I think I may not be the typical SDNer. I fell in love with several programs at the top of my list, and I don't think there's a place I would be unhappy at. Good Luck All!

I'm leaving off the last few of my list because I don't want people to think they are bad programs. Purely location choices for the ones at the bottom that I'm leaving off.

1. Hopkins
2. Univ of Kentucky
3. Washington University
4. University of North Carolina
5. UAB
6. Indiana University
7. Louisville
8. EVMS
9. Emory
10. UT-Southwestern

BTW, just to calm my OCD side, I'm good to go as long as there's a green "CERTIFIED ROL" at the top of my login under the NRMP site, right?

Last edited:
(1) Boston Medical Center
(2) Brown
(3) Yale
(4) UMass
(5) Brigham and Women's / MGH
(6) George Washington
(7) Hopkins
(8) Maine Medical Center
(9) Albert Einstein (PA)
(10) Jacobi
(11) UConn
(12) Univ of Maryland
(13) UPenn

Yeah, so long as there's that little green 'certified rol' (which I have checked several times, and made my SO witness!), you should be good.

My list:

1. Cooper (UMDNJ-Camden)
2. UPitt
3. Cincy
4. Georgetown
5. Temple
6. Maryland
7. UPenn
8. Hopkins
9. Drexel
10. Jeff
11. Ohio St
12. York
13. St. Luke's - Bethlehem

I'm leaving off the last few of my list because I don't want people to think they are bad programs. Purely location choices for the ones at the bottom that I'm leaving off.

1. Hopkins
2. Univ of Kentucky
3. Washington University
4. University of North Carolina
5. UAB
6. Indiana University
7. Louisville
8. EVMS
9. Emory
10. UT-Southwestern

BTW, just to calm my OCD side, I'm good to go as long as there's a green "CERTIFIED ROL" at the top of my login under the NRMP site, right?

Rank Prog Code Description Status Supp List
1 1628110C0 Emergency Medicine
Hosp of the Univ of PA
2 1409110C0 Emergency Medicine
NYP Hosp-Columbia & Cornell-NY
3 2978110C0 Emergency Medicine
NYU School Of Medicine
4 1490110C0 Emergency Medicine
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY
5 1849110C0 Emergency Medicine
Drexel Univ COM/Hahnemann Univ Hosp-PA
6 3172110C0 Emergency Medicine
Einstein/Jacobi Med Ctr-NY
7 1089110C0 Emergency Medicine
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT
8 1677110C0 Emergency Medicine
Rhode Island Hosp/Brown U
9 1398110C0 Emergency Medicine
UMDNJ-New Jersey Med-Newark
10 2070110C0 Emergency Medicine
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY

1 Indiana Univ Sch Of Med: awesome large program (18 EM + 2 EM/Peds) in a nice midwest city. 1/2 ED time at county (Wishard) and 1/2 ED time at the private hosp (Methodist) provided a perfect blend of variety for me. The residents were laid back and sociable, very family-friendly program. The leadership is strong, great teaching and there are lots of pluses in the program like an orientation month, public health advocacy, knowledge translation shifts, and 3 months of elective time. Excellent benefits. Just this year they are adding time at Riley's children's hospital to increase peds exposure, although both ED's are all-comer's. Indy is a medium city with lots of fun things to do (especially in the summer) and it is very, very affordable. Overall, this place just clicked with me and felt like a perfect glove on my hand.
2 UPMC Medical Education Prog-PA: also a large residency, strong academically and plenty of opportunities for developing your "niche" in EM. Pitt has grads everywhere, and you will have no problem getting a job or fellowship. Nice, funny, and laid back residents. The city of Pittsburgh is medium sized and affordable. EMS experience on the Jeep is very awesome and fun, especially if you were ever a medic or EMT (and even if you weren't). Brand new childrens hosp and lots of fellowship opps at UPitt. Nationally a very strong reputation.
3 Advocate Christ Med Ctr: One of the strongest programs in Chicago. Community, all-comers ED setting. Medium size class of residents, all who are from the top of their class. They are smart, work hard, and are very, very well trained clinically. Although these residents are smart, they are down to earth and very sociable. Excellent, excellent lectures and diadactic experiences here. Residents push and encourage each other to read a lot and there is a lot of camradarie.
4 UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Camden: great program with lot of diversity in the residents, faculty, and patients. The ED is small, but they will be getting a new one soon. Fantastic lectures and diadactics, the faculty here love to teach and are good at it. Almost has the feel of a county training program because of the underserved patient pop and volume that the residents handle. The nursing and ancillary staff are great. EMR (EPIC) is in the process of being fully implemented. In the end I just didn't really like the NJ/Philly area, and had some concerns about the off service experiences. The benefits are "ok." These items aside, I would still be happy to end up here.
5 U New Mexico SOM: great program, diverse patients, affordable area. PD is a really, really big advocate for the residents. Residents are nice and down to earth. Lots of kids in the program = family friendly residency. Beautiful area. Fell to the middle of my list only because I liked aspects of some of the other programs more, but I honestly would be elated and very happy to end up here.
6 University Hosp-Cincinnati-OH: powerhouse program with amazing training. great leadership, but my sense is that there is a very, very strong academic focus. I didn't like the POD system, and that 1st years get easier patients, while 2nd years get 1st dibs on all procedures . While I think that flight medicine is an excellent experience in automony, I am still not quite sure that it is necessary to become an excellent doctor. The city of Cinncy was okay for me, though I really appreciated all the nice perks that the program put out for us. I also am not a huge fan of the 4 year program since I am strongly considering fellowship.
7 Univ of Chicago Med Ctr: was at one point number 1 or 2, but fell dramatically after learning of all that is going on there. I just don't know that I can be a part of a program that sends people away because they don't have insurance. I know why they are doing it, but I can't be a part of that and be happy with myself. I also don't want to be part of hosp whose main priority is "quaternary care" or "complex care". I don't know that working in such an environment will prepare me for practice in any setting my future may hold, and it does not meet my desires to work with the disadvantaged and underserved populations. The fact that the Chief of EM AND Chair of IM stepped down tells me volumes.
8 Ohio State Univ Med Ctr: just didn't click here. Has phenomenal peds experiences. Columbus is a little too republican for me, though OSU is a great university. the residents are really nice and super friendly. Excellent ultrasound training as well.
9 Temple Univ Hosp-PA: did not feel this program at all. Benefits are terrible, and their ED months are scheduled as such that it is impossible to swap shifts if you want to. Heavily underserved population, but little diversity because of the part of town they work it. I want to be safe going to work. Not a big fan of Philly.
10 Resurrection Med Ctr-IL: also did not feel this program. Felt that it was little too laid back and there seemed to be more of a focus on the social aspects of training than the training itself. Concerned regarding the diversity of the patient pop and did not get a sense that I would be challenged enough. Residents were very happy and described their training as very enjoyable and low stress.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!! I hope this info is helpful!

Last edited:
1 SUNY Upstate Med University-NY
2 William Beaumont Hosp-MI
3 University Hospitals Case Med Ctr-OH
4 WSU/Detroit Med Ctr-MI
5 Synergy Med Ed Alliance-MI
6 University of Toledo-OH
7 St John Hospital-MI
8 Sinai-Grace WSU/Detroit Med Ctr-MI
9 St Louis Univ SOM-MO
10 Lehigh Valley Hosp-PA
11 Genesys Reg Med Ctr-MI
12 Brooklyn Hosp Ctr-NY
13 Metropolitan Hosp Ctr-NY

1. UCLA/OV
2. USC (1-4)
3. USC (2-4)
4. Harbor-UCLA
5. Highland
6. UCSF
7. UCSD
8. Stanford
9. Fresno
10. Irvine

Instead of the typical rank list, I thought you all would like a break with a top 10 list:

Top Ten Signs Your Doctor Is Drunk

Sterilizes his instruments with Cuervo

Before him is a tray of gauze, swabs, and green olives

Giggles every time he asks for suction

Climbs in the MRI machine with you

As you go under, you hear the words "amputate" and "head"

Left a pack of Camels in your chest cavity

While listening to the heart monitor says, "Shhh. I love this song"

Checks your reflexes by hurling a beer nut at your face

Brags that he was Slobodan Milosevic's guy

After checking you for a hernia, says, "Now you do me"

Good luck to everyone in the match!!!!

My list (the places I ranked):

1. St Lukes Roosevelt- this was kind the no brainer for me. PM me if you have questions about the program. Loved it to death. Residents, attendings, PD, hospital- I got the good vibes from the moment I walked into the interview
2. Hospital of PA- Moved up quickly after I visited. CHOP+Critical care time +electives
3. USC- (1-4) was just a perfect fit. Once they decided to make it 1-4: it was kinda a no brainer to stick it into top 3.
4. UChicago- Dr. Howes is staying for one more year as PD + I think the negative PR is ridiculous. The program is solid. The bad press will pass and people will remember that this is one of the first programs that pioneered and created EM.
5. Georgetown/Hospital Center- Dr. Love + Hospital Center
6. Northwestern- Dr. Adams... residents, research, academics sold me on it.
7. UCSF- Great 4 yr program. Of course brand new but will get better.
8. UMich- Ann Arbor is surprisingly livable. Survival flight + academics
9. UCI- 3 yr program that's super solid. Love the PD, residents I met.
10. Loma Linda- Got everything I'm looking for. So many perks- wilderness medicine, disaster medicine, EMS/International medicine opps.

I'll do more thorough review of the programs and post them in the residency reviews section soon. I used that thread and am indebited the contributors. To everyone here- please please post more reviews there. Now that the lists have all been submitted.

Last edited: