UNMC - University of Nebraska Medical Center Official Thread - Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCSlug

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is, the official thread for the class of 2010 at UNMC. I just received a phone call telling me of my acceptance to UNMC. I would love to here from all of you considering UNMC as your home for the next 4 years.

SC Slug

Members don't see this ad.

SCSlug said:
Here it is, the official thread for the class of 2010 at UNMC. I just received a phone call telling me of my acceptance to UNMC. I would love to here from all of you considering UNMC as your home for the next 4 years.

SC Slug

Congrats SCSlug - just curious - why the move from Santa Cruz to Omaha?

nebrfan said:
Congrats SCSlug - just curious - why the move from Santa Cruz to Omaha?

Thank you for the congrats,

In answer to your question, for starters, there is no medical school in Santa Cruz. I have a few California Schools on the table but UNMC has made me a very attractive offer. Furthermore, I am an older student with a small child. My wife and I have family in Omaha that have children about the same age, which would be a great support to us. Over the years, I have visited UNMC and done some shadowning at the Nebraska Medical Center and have been very impressed. I also like the direction that the school is heading with the construction of the research center and the new health science facilities going up next year. If you put any stock in to the US News and World report ratings, UNMC is doing very well for themselves. Oh yeah, the cost of tuition is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of living out here on the coast, a small two bedroom apartment in Santa Cruz goes for about $1500-2000 per month and most everthing else is 20-40% more expensive. That adds up over 4 years on student loans. Additionally, my wife has targeted a few graduate school opportunities in psychology in Omaha.

You are in the class of 2009, how do you like UNMC so far?

SC Slug

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all who were accepted!!! I was accepted through the EDP last Oct. since I knew I wanted to attend UNMC. I will be there this fall and look forward to meeting some of you!!!

I am in. Just found out today! I am excited. I am still waiting on another waitling list but I will most likely be going to UNMC in the fall!!

premed_81 said:
Congrats to all who were accepted!!! I was accepted through the EDP last Oct. since I knew I wanted to attend UNMC. I will be there this fall and look forward to meeting some of you!!!

Congrats to you, too, premed_81 and DRLaura! Are you already in Omaha or will you be moving there this summer? We are trying to sell our house right now and I am chomping at the bit to look for housing in Omaha. Hopefully, things will fall into place soon! I am so excited to meet everyone during orientation. I will be the class "mom" (or maybe the class "grandma"?).

Does anyone know if we get access to the UNMC current students website or anything prior to orientation?

I don't know how I have missed this thread before. But yay to new research buildings, attractive finaid packages, and Omaha. I'll be seeing you all in the fall. But a question, as an out of stater, why is it that everyone I talk to that has lived in Omaha has been favorably impressed, but the second you tell someone that has never been there that you are "going to Omaha" you get these side eyed glances? I don't get it, I liked the joint, am I missing something?

live2theedge said:
Congrats to you, too, premed_81 and DRLaura! Are you already in Omaha or will you be moving there this summer? We are trying to sell our house right now and I am chomping at the bit to look for housing in Omaha. Hopefully, things will fall into place soon! I am so excited to meet everyone during orientation. I will be the class "mom" (or maybe the class "grandma"?).

Does anyone know if we get access to the UNMC current students website or anything prior to orientation?

They'll send you some info on "Fast Start" (I think that's what it is called). It's a Blackboard program you can go through on your own to learn all about your first year of medical school at UNMC. There's some really great information on there, so I'd definitely go through it if you have a chance. Congratulations on your acceptance.

Anyone remeber, or current students know, how testing is run at UNMC?? I have a few interviews that run together in my mind, and I can't remember or find that little tidbit in my paperwork from them. Is it class specific? Blocks? A combi of the two?

Rockhouse said:
Anyone remeber, or current students know, how testing is run at UNMC?? I have a few interviews that run together in my mind, and I can't remember or find that little tidbit in my paperwork from them. Is it class specific? Blocks? A combi of the two?

Year 1 is made up of four cores, 2 of which are 10 weeks in length (Core 1: Structure/Development[anatomy/embryo] and Core 3:Functions of Human Body[physiology]) and 2 are 6 weeks long (Core 2:Cellular Proceses[biochem/cell bio] and Core 4:Neuorscience). The 10 week courses have 4 exams each, the 6 week courses have 2 each. The exams are usually held saturday mornings, and for anatomy and neuroscience, the class is split up into two groups, one of which takes the practical portion in the gross lab first, the other takes the written - each are ~ a couple hours and the groups switch after finishing. For Function and Cellular the whole class meets at the same time and takes a short (20-30 question) powerpoint histology practical before the written portion. Nearly all of the written exams are multiple choice except for Dr. Cornish, who uses only essay/short answer format for cardiovascular phys and Dr. Binhammer who likes to mix in a few (~10) short answer type questions.

There are also 4 ICE (Integrated Clinical Experience) exams throughout the year - don't stress too much about these - all multiple choice and usually fairly easy.

At the end of year one there is a comprehensive final exam - its simply pass/fail and the only record that goes into the transcripts is a letter confirming that you passed. If you fail a section they let you retake - although to pass you just have to score no worse than 2 SDs below the class averages for the past 3 years....(usually, that requires only getting around a 45%-50% - to be honest, i don't know why they even give the comprehensive)

live2theedge said:

Congrats to everyone one thus far. I am soooooo excited that I actually get to go to medical school. I wasn't sure this was ever going to happen. I can't wait to start.

I already live in Omaha. I've lived here for about 8 or 9 months now. I really like it here. I live a little ways from UNMC, but its ok.... I work at the Nebraska Med Center and make the drive often and its not that bad. I may consider moving closer once my current lease runs out at the end of the year.

I can't wait for more info. All I know right now is that orientation starts august 14th. I'll see you all then!!!

Geez... no one is very talkative on here.... anyways... unfortunately I decided that I will not be attending UNMC this fall. I was offered a position by another school and decided to take it. I hope that for all of your sakes that the person that gets my spot isn't some big goober. :D Just kidding. I am actually going to the other medical school in town so maybe I will see you all around ( even though I would I probably won't know it cause I don't know what you all look like). Anyways... now that all of you are thinking that you are glad that I am going to a different school because this message alone is so annoying that you know that you just wouldn't like me, I will say good luck to all of you and I wish you the best.

DRLaura said:
Geez... no one is very talkative on here.... anyways... unfortunately I decided that I will not be attending UNMC this fall. I was offered a position by another school and decided to take it. I hope that for all of your sakes that the person that gets my spot isn't some big goober. :D Just kidding. I am actually going to the other medical school in town so maybe I will see you all around ( even though I would I probably won't know it cause I don't know what you all look like). Anyways... now that all of you are thinking that you are glad that I am going to a different school because this message alone is so annoying that you know that you just wouldn't like me, I will say good luck to all of you and I wish you the best.

Why Creighton, out of curiousity, the price tag chased me away.