Unmatched. Where to go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maludinesha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been looking for some options since I went unmatched in PCCM. I am a Carib grad finishing up my 3rd yr in Internal Medicine at a community program. I did a year of clinical research in PCCM prior to starting residency. Got one publication and have had several posters go to ATS. I made sure throughout residency that all my presentations/ posters were PCCM related. My USMLE scores were subpar, no failures. This is why I figure my application may have fell through the cracks. Despite this I got 4 interviews this year which were through attendings who put in a good word for me. What are some smart routes to take from here on out? I have been considering applying for a chief year at other programs but the available ones thus far don’t have in-house fellowship in PCCM. For those of you that were Hospitalists before applying, what steps did you take? Any advice would help. Much thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Been looking for some options since I went unmatched in PCCM. I am a Carib grad finishing up my 3rd yr in Internal Medicine at a community program. I did a year of clinical research in PCCM prior to starting residency. Got one publication and have had several posters go to ATS. I made sure throughout residency that all my presentations/ posters were PCCM related. My USMLE scores were subpar, no failures. This is why I figure my application may have fell through the cracks. Despite this I got 4 interviews this year which were through attendings who put in a good word for me. What are some smart routes to take from here on out? I have been considering applying for a chief year at other programs but the available ones thus far don’t have in-house fellowship in PCCM. For those of you that were Hospitalists before applying, what steps did you take? Any advice would help. Much thanks.

Sorry you didn’t match .

Publications seem not to be the trump card these Days unless you published for a top faculty or you have a research AMGpedigree to go with it . Speaking of which knowing top faculty and having top faculty write letters or vouch for you is vital and likely the absolute key.

Don’t do renal hoping for a CCM spot unless you have CCM connections . It’s all about connections . Renal is a trap unless you love it.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I have seen many people go the hospitalist route, successfully pay off a large medical school debt and then become PCCM fellows. Not matching by no means is bad news. You will have high paying job regardless of what you do. Find a job, brush up your CV with some more publications and research and continue grinding through. A chief year is a complete waste of money, unless you are an elite candidate looking to clinch a fellowship at a top center.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few unmatched pulmonary only programs . These programs usually yield to a CCM fellowship or a sleep fellowship the next year . You should consider these .

Get a feel of how competitive you are or can be and gauge this relative to your debt.(primarily do you have top guns vouching by for you ?) PCCM does seem to be getting more and more popular based on the declining match rate and near maximum fill rate. The shift work , relative lack of social headaches (short of more vital palliative care issues) , and the in and outpatient flexibility are al highly atttacrive features . It seems to be this way going forward

Hi all,

I think applying single specialty first might be the next best approach. I'd recommend pulmonary and then critical care so you can still finish in three years. Critical care to pulmonary will take four. And I'm not convinced doing a chief year in anyway help you over just getting a hospitalist gig. You'll want the money for flights and interviews anyway.

I went unmatched last year and I know how you must be feeling. It’s a terrible feeling but u will get over it. I did a sleep year (always been interested) and then reapplied. I presented a poster at a national conference. They really like it if you present at ATS or CHEST even if it’s a simple case report. I wouldn’t say I had significantly higher number of interviews but overall they appreciated another fellowship training over a hospitalist. One program director told me that they see hospitalist learning some autonomy but that’s about it. Bottom line, don’t feel bad that u didn’t match, be persistent and try to get pulmonary now. If you don’t get pulmonary then reapply next year and I will have more interviews. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user