Unmatched due to lack of eras token

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cortesmd2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first time here. I am an american medical graduate 2004 (magna cum-laude) with first pass USMLE step 1 and step 2 ; I did not need to pass the CS if I pass the step 2 before june 2005. I am active in the match but I cannot do a rank order list because my medical school (San Juan Bautista, Puerto Rico) did not have an eras token. I send my papers via fax to two unmatched positions that appear at the unmatched list but all of them requieres eras for scramble. I also send emails to PD's for like 20 Psychiatry progams but what I get back is ALL POSITIONS ARE BEEN FILLED YOU CAN APPLY THROUGH ERAS FOR 2006-2007. If somebody can help me on how can I get an eras token from another source, or what website had a list of NON ERAS residencies programs? :idea: I really will like to start a program this july. Also if somebody has used the electronic residency.com and can tell me about their experiences.

PLEASE ANY HELP WILL BE REALLY APPRECIATED THANKS :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I went to medical school in Puerto Rico and have a friend that studied in SJB. The thing is that due to the fact that SJB is not LCME accredited is not a US school for USA, in PR it is a US school. Is not a foreign school so you are not elegible for ECMFG certification, so you cannot get a token as an IMG. You might want to contact the TEM (tribunal examinador de medicos) to see how they can help you there in terms of the token problem. i think that if the TEM sponsors you then they might be able to give you a token, you should go talk to them.

About programs not participating in ERAS, go to FREIDA and in "additional search" select "programs not participating in ERAS" and it will give you a list of programs by state that doesnt participate in ERAS.

Good luck with your program search!!!

I got this from the NRMP webpage:

Graduates of U.S. Medical Schools Not Accredited by the LCME
Graduates of U.S. medical schools not accredited by the LCME must submit to the NRMP notarized copies of full and unrestricted licenses to practice medicine in a U.S. jurisdiction.

So, yes you have to go to the TEM and take step 3 for you to have an unrestricted medical license, after one year of internship in PR, and that way they can sponsor you for the match.

You should go talk to them.

I find it odd that this outcome was surprising to you. I assume nobody from your school had a token. Does your school have a dean of students? I would think this is something they might sicsuss with you ahead of time.