univesity of Toronto

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why did I see condescending attitude coming? hmmm...
Whether you like it or not, Montreal is Canada's second city now. The premiere city in Canada is Toronto, and has been for quite some time. I don't want to attack Montreal too much since it is a good city, but you're beginning to get irritating.

:laugh:
Do you think Montreal is the only city in the world with a museum and symphony? Even Cleveland has those.

Yeah, and in Montreal its fries with cheese!</sarcasm> Troll confirmed?

Yep - I think we should stop with this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

oh - i think we can basically just ignore operationivy now. he/she/it is a premed who aspires to attend medical school at (and i quote) "Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, Columbia or UCSF". basically top-5 in the country.

OIvy, if u are as immature and childish in real life as u are on these boards, good luck with ur applications to the top schools, even if u DO have a 3.6/33 from UCB, and managed to get 38% on your physical chemistry midterm when the class average was 19.

heres a thread OIvy started (it basically was a stroke-his/her/its-ego-thread)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=324629

here's what OIvy had to say about Toronto and mcgill earlier.

Maybe I will try Canada.....McGill or U of Toronto. Any comments on the Candadian schools?

I think I am going to seriously think about McGill or Toronto....great schools, great cities

and this is what another poster had to say about OIvy on the thread he/she/it started:

OMG. You are the most annoying person I have ever seen on this forum. Get over yourself and stop going on and on about your sports and how great you are. You are like every other premed I have ever met at Berkeley, arrogant and yet so ****ing insecure that you have to constantly brag about yourself looking for approval and further ego boosts.

let's move on with more important things now and leave our multiple-personality-disordered friend to his/her/its own amusements.

oh - i think we can basically just ignore operationivy now. he/she/it is a premed who aspires to attend medical school at (and i quote) "Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, Columbia or UCSF". basically top-5 in the country.

OIvy, if u are as immature and childish in real life as u are on these boards, good luck with ur applications to the top schools, even if u DO have a 3.6/33 from UCB, and managed to get 38% on your physical chemistry midterm when the class average was 19.

heres a thread OIvy started (it basically was a stroke-his/her/its-ego-thread)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=324629

here's what OIvy had to say about Toronto and mcgill earlier.

and this is what another poster had to say about OIvy on the thread he/she/it started:

let's move on with more important things now and leave our multiple-personality-disordered friend to his/her/its own amusements.

HHHMMMMM, quoting me out of context, that isn't fair. It seems as if you guys have chips on your shoulders concerning cities in Ontario. Don't throw a temper tantrum just because I compared Toronto to some American mid-sized cities. It will all be ok, I promise! And you can quote me on that, even if it is "out of context!"

Members don't see this ad :)
HHHMMMMM, quoting me out of context, that isn't fair.

umm.... i didn't quote you of context. i gave the link to the ENTIRE thread for everyone to see. how much more context could i have provided other than the ENTIRE thread?

as for temper tantrums, ur the one who threw a fit in that post u started, labelling some division 1 athlete a pro at broomball or stickball (or whatever it was).

good luck with ur applications.

Geez people.

If you can get into either U of T or McGill, count your lucky stars and go there. If you miraculously get into both, visit both cities and feel which one works best for you.

Both are great schools, and each city has its own personality. My personality fits better with Montreal, but it's an individual thing. I know some dedicated Torontonians. Hell, if U of T had taken me and McGill hadn't, I'd be one by now too. Fortunately for my inner self, the reverse happened and I was able to stay consistent. :)

It's all a matter of opinion, both of the schools and of the cities. The schools are top-notch and the cities are livable and beautiful in their own ways. I agree that the cities are very different, but "better" cannot be measured in an objective fashion - people value different things in a city, just like in a med school program.

Peace.

:laugh: :laugh: :love: This thread is sooooooooooo funny.
I hope I get to choose between McGill and UT in the end. That would be one tough choice indeed. City-wise I'm all for Montreal (I'm a totally sucker for that Paris/Barcelona/EuroAmerican/whatever-you-call-it feel), but school-wise, I say UT tramples McGill in all areas (except maybe clinical training, thanks to the lack of residents in Quebec): research, administration, student body, etc.
Gosh this will be tough... Well, provided UT shows me some love on May 15:scared:

And BTW, St. Louis is a dump compared to Toronto, an utter and complete dump.

City-wise I'm all for Montreal (I'm a totally sucker for that Paris/Barcelona/EuroAmerican/whatever-you-call-it feel), but school-wise, I say UT tramples McGill in all areas (except maybe clinical training, thanks to the lack of residents in Quebec): research, administration, student body, etc.
Depends on your learning style, I guess. I like the diverse student body at McGill, myself (though I didn't interview at UofT so you may well have more expertise than I). I also like the "missability" of classes - was able to go to Cuba for a week recently, and no problems catching up, f'r'instance...

Both are great schools. I guess it's just a matter of "feel"...

I hope you do get to make that choice, sounds like it won't be an easy one! (It would be easy for me, but Montreal is in my blood - the analogy from my perspective would be choosing UofT vs. UBC, I guess...)

Queen's.

Oh and all schools shape themselves so they place on whatever list they see as most appealing to their core demographic.

S-

I'm gonna add to this tale of 2 cities...

So my uncle studied international business at McGill and recently said to me somewhat wistfully that really "Toronto was formed from the ashes of Montreal..." when in the 70s after ascension of the Parti Quebecois into power 200 company headquarters moved from Montreal to TO. While Mtl has recovered a bit since... I think that the event put Mtl on a entirely different path, bad in many obvious ways but good in maybe some less obvious ways (preservation of French culture including joie de vivre, very low cost of living).

Having lived in Mtl for last 5 yrs and attended med school at McGill but having done undergrad in ON and having lots of friends in at UofT med and living in TO I do have the impression that both the medical schools and cities are different.

TO is the most multicultural city in North America (even more so then NYC), this is a fact. I have even heard recently the world. A UofT med student once told me that 20-30% of Torontonians don't speak either English or French and they are not learning. They are just living in their own language. Prob they are a bit older. I believe that this adds immeasurably to the status of the city. In particular TO has great Korean and Chinese food. Montreal does not compete in this regard. Though Montreal does have restaurants per capita second only to NYC and this is great, there isn't much great Chinese food (though maybe Vancouver will have to be undisputed capital in Canada for this) and even less Korean. On the other hand Montreal is truly bilingual and that adds an element of diversity that is unique and strangely wonderful. I miss the French when I am in TO. It never ceases to amaze me in Montreal.

Nightlife? Undisputably better in Montreal. Music? Not sure but people seem to like Montreal better for this. Dance? Montreal is the world center for modern dance.

Liveability? This is tough... b/c according to a world ranking of liveable cities (by the Economist Intelligence Unit) all of TO, Mtl, Vancouver (ranked #1) and Calgary made the top 5 (tied with a bunch of Autralian cities), while the most liveable US city was Cleveland and Pittsburgh which tied for a ranking of 26!! But here I'll let my bias show... I would say Mtl is more liveable. Mtl has a better subway system, it's smaller and more walkable, it's safer (just by a bit), it's easier to get groceries (a culture of independant grocers), it's way more affordable, it's prettier (if rundown) as I find TO overly covered with concrete...

As for McGill vs. UofT med... I would say overeall that TO is more competitive and maybe the quality of candidates (WRT academics) higher. This is b/c UofT draws from the whole of Canada (certainly it is the premier destination for Ontarians) whereas McGill due to govt restrictions draws mostly from Quebec and only Quebecers that want to speak English at that. Plus a lot of McGill med students come straight from CeGEP (sort of like an extended version of high school)... which makes for a lot of young med students.

On the other hand I think quality of life is better at McGill as a med student. From what I heard about UofT med... it's overkill competitive and a lot of students just are not that happy with their very competitive very studious colleagues. People generally love it at McGill... it's pretty laid back and McGill is really notorious for the amount of autonomy accorded med students.

Also McGill does currently have a better reputation in the US (whether or not this is deserved is a different issue). I think that this is because in the 50s and 60s over half of McGill med students were American. In fact McGill used to recruit US med students by doing med school interviews in Cali! So relatively many senior US docs are McGill alumni. That number has gradually dropped over the years and will drop further still. In my cohort (2006) there was about 20/150 international students but I think that the incoming class it will less than 10.

So there you have it, my 2 cents!

I'm gonna add to this tale of 2 cities...

So my uncle studied international business at McGill and recently said to me somewhat wistfully that really "Toronto was formed from the ashes of Montreal..." when in the 70s after ascension of the Parti Quebecois into power 200 company headquarters moved from Montreal to TO. While Mtl has recovered a bit since... I think that the event put Mtl on a entirely different path, bad in many obvious ways but good in maybe some less obvious ways (preservation of French culture including joie de vivre, very low cost of living).

Having lived in Mtl for last 5 yrs and attended med school at McGill but having done undergrad in ON and having lots of friends in at UofT med and living in TO I do have the impression that both the medical schools and cities are different.

TO is the most multicultural city in North America (even more so then NYC), this is a fact. I have even heard recently the world. A UofT med student once told me that 20-30% of Torontonians don't speak either English or French and they are not learning. They are just living in their own language. Prob they are a bit older. I believe that this adds immeasurably to the status of the city. In particular TO has great Korean and Chinese food. Montreal does not compete in this regard. Though Montreal does have restaurants per capita second only to NYC and this is great, there isn't much great Chinese food (though maybe Vancouver will have to be undisputed capital in Canada for this) and even less Korean. On the other hand Montreal is truly bilingual and that adds an element of diversity that is unique and strangely wonderful. I miss the French when I am in TO. It never ceases to amaze me in Montreal.

Nightlife? Undisputably better in Montreal. Music? Not sure but people seem to like Montreal better for this. Dance? Montreal is the world center for modern dance.

Liveability? This is tough... b/c according to a world ranking of liveable cities (by the Economist Intelligence Unit) all of TO, Mtl, Vancouver (ranked #1) and Calgary made the top 5 (tied with a bunch of Autralian cities), while the most liveable US city was Cleveland and Pittsburgh which tied for a ranking of 26!! But here I'll let my bias show... I would say Mtl is more liveable. Mtl has a better subway system, it's smaller and more walkable, it's safer (just by a bit), it's easier to get groceries (a culture of independant grocers), it's way more affordable, it's prettier (if rundown) as I find TO overly covered with concrete...

As for McGill vs. UofT med... I would say overeall that TO is more competitive and maybe the quality of candidates (WRT academics) higher. This is b/c UofT draws from the whole of Canada (certainly it is the premier destination for Ontarians) whereas McGill due to govt restrictions draws mostly from Quebec and only Quebecers that want to speak English at that. Plus a lot of McGill med students come straight from CeGEP (sort of like an extended version of high school)... which makes for a lot of young med students.

On the other hand I think quality of life is better at McGill as a med student. From what I heard about UofT med... it's overkill competitive and a lot of students just are not that happy with their very competitive very studious colleagues. People generally love it at McGill... it's pretty laid back and McGill is really notorious for the amount of autonomy accorded med students.

Also McGill does currently have a better reputation in the US (whether or not this is deserved is a different issue). I think that this is because in the 50s and 60s over half of McGill med students were American. In fact McGill used to recruit US med students by doing med school interviews in Cali! So relatively many senior US docs are McGill alumni. That number has gradually dropped over the years and will drop further still. In my cohort (2006) there was about 20/150 international students but I think that the incoming class it will less than 10.

So there you have it, my 2 cents!

Pretty much my thoughts, altho UT med has changed considerably these few years and become a lot more laidback and less competitive. It is still more H-core than McGill in the pre-clinical years, especially the 20-hours/week anatomy labs for the first four months, but otherwise students still find plenty of time to explore and enjoy life outside school. A very good friend of mine is going to UT med right now and that's where I get my info.

McGill does have a much better reputation in the States, where it is considered to be the Harvard of Canada.

I thought this was supposed to be a thread about UFT, not McGill.

anyways, did anybody else get grilled by like 10 ethics questions in their UFT interview? I think I did well overall, the experience from all the US interviews really helped, but man, that interviewer just kept coming at me with ethical dilemmas.

anyways, did anybody else get grilled by like 10 ethics questions in their UFT interview? I think I did well overall, the experience from all the US interviews really helped, but man, that interviewer just kept coming at me with ethical dilemmas.

Thought I would give this board a try after so long away. After reading some of the ignorant, self-centred, and self-serving posts, I remember why I stayed away.

Amateurs.

My toronto interview had very little ethics (and also went poorly). My McGill one was chalk full of ethics though, pretty much the entire second interview was ethics.

Thought I would give this board a try after so long away. After reading some of the ignorant, self-centred, and self-serving posts, I remember why I stayed away.

Amateurs.

Wow, I'm not sure who this is directed at, but take a chill pill.

My toronto interview had very little ethics (and also went poorly). My McGill one was chalk full of ethics though, pretty much the entire second interview was ethics.

Chill dude, if you got interviewed at both places you are gonna get into a wicked school for sure.

Sigh, why doesn't UT do rolling...

hi..i am new and finished my medical school in turkey and wanna improve my english have time to discu sswith me medical subject in english if u wanna help me i will be very happy

I randomly clicked on this thread. It is ridiculous but in a pathetically funny way. There are quite a few dumb folks posting here.

What is the world coming to?

I'm going back to books.

I have to agree.

AND you are all missing the important point: All schools being good here in Canada it comes down to liveability.

While Mcgill and MTL are fantastic places to be, and UofT is huge, impressive along with the city of TO and it's wonder of cosmopolitan neighbourhoods, restaurants, festivals, beaches etc (it's CHAMP race by the way, the old Indy circuit before the IRL separated. MTL has the canadian F1, but it used to be near Toronto at Mosport)

in my mind, Queen's is the place to go and be able to focus on y our studies, yet live in a vibrant, cultured city.

cha gheil!

I am with SMRT, Van is tops, and hey, people,
ever heard of Calgary. Eastern canada is one
thing but give the west a try. You'll agree!

Wow mtoto, I didn't even notice that great post. Thanks for all the information. I am debating between McGill and Toronto(hopefully), and in a nutshell it's come down to: McGill - better medical school, Toronto - better institution, better city (everything subjective). I should have applied to McGill for UG so this debate would already have been settled!

Omega- you aren't going to Harvard?

Hello,
I'm a McGIll Med1 student and was born in Montreal. I just want to say that McGill is a very good university and that I'm sure that UofT is a very good university too. I don't see why there has to be a best one... I'm sure that there are strong and weak sides to both universities, passionate and/or boring teachers in both universities, etc. I think that a lot of people are trying to figure out what's the best... but people forget that it's not the university who'll change your life... but you that will change your university.

Gab