University of Wisconsin! Thoughts?? Feelings??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pika8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering what you have heard about Wisconsin as a vet school... Anything? Good? Bad? Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm wondering what you have heard about Wisconsin as a vet school... Anything? Good? Bad? Any input is appreciated!

Good, positive, yay. I did undergrad work at UW and research at the vet school and it was great.

awesome school. Incredibly strong rep, great town, young and in the fast lane as far as being a vet school goes. You can't go wrong with them! And if you're at all interested in microbiology... holy ****.

Members don't see this ad :)
I LUV micro and I LUV Wisconsin. Oh why oh why haven't I heard from them!?! This is KILLING me!

If you're interested in WI, watch a bunch of us go crazy as they apparently have started releasing admissions on the other WI thread. Its great.

On the other hand, I know 15+ WI SA doctors, and think they are all AMAZING. I know that they also have a great LA program, and the state is looking into debt forgiveness for LA (in addition to whatever legislation from the fed govt). So ... you pretty much would be set, unless you like horses. Good program, but obvi not one of the best in the nation.

And their admissions coordinator is super nice, and just sent me a nice thank you for letting them know I made dean's list (although, she didn't tell me if i was in or not ..... )

why do you say obviously not one of the best in the country? are you going purely by ranking (which i hear is based on very little for vet schools) or do you have more information?

From the equine people on this board, I've heard that Kentucky, and two other schools (not sure) are really the cream of the crop for horses. Its not as if they have a bad program, its just not something they are known for (they really are a LA/food animal school).

As everyone says, you really can learn everything from every school. Some schools just have stronger programs in one area than another. I think WI is an amazing school, and would be honored to attend ... I just don't think it is one of the top equine schools in the nation. I may, however, be misinformed, if you've heard differently. I do know that you can't track equine specifically, because that's part of the "other" track -- they have four (if I'm remembering correctly): SA, LA, mixed, and other.

From the equine people on this board, I've heard that Kentucky, and two other schools (not sure) are really the cream of the crop for horses. Its not as if they have a bad program, its just not something they are known for (they really are a LA/food animal school).

Kentucky?

Sorry -- showing my ignorance here. KSU is actually Kansas, but I'm silly and sometimes read that as Kentucky, which I KNOW is not correct. However, the point still holds -- there are other schools that are better known for equine.

As everyone says, you really can learn everything from every school. Some schools just have stronger programs in one area than another. I think WI is an amazing school, and would be honored to attend ... I just don't think it is one of the top equine schools in the nation. I may, however, be misinformed, if you've heard differently. I do know that you can't track equine specifically, because that's part of the "other" track -- they have four (if I'm remembering correctly): SA, LA, mixed, and other.

Wouldn't equine fall under LA? Other I think is more for research, wildlife, etc. I might be wrong though.

When I had a meeting and they talked about the curriculum, they weren't terribly clear. I guess I was more comparing it to other schools that have LA and equine separate, and they feel like they specialize more in equine. Madison has it together, which is fine, I think, but then again, I don't want to specialize in equine. The best bet, if you're interested original poster, is to call the school.

What does anyone know about Wisconsin's small animal program? How about the facilities? Anything known about exotics?

I don't know much about the facilities (I've never received a tour -- they'll have those at the open house) but I know that they are a great SA school. I think there is less hands-on then at some other schools (correct me if I'm wrong though), or that it starts later maybe ... but 90% of the SA vets I know graduated from UW and I think they are amazing. As for exotics -- I'm not greatly up-to-speed on the program, but I know there is one, and they offer electives in exotics really early -- one is as early as the first semester (http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/Curriculum.38.1.html). Beyond a shadow of a doubt, they have a great SA program, and produce great, successful vets.

Members don't see this ad :)
That message had a lot of "great" in it .... that's okay, though, because it would be GREAT if i got in ... c'mon IS letters, be here already! :)

What does anyone know about Wisconsin's small animal program? How about the facilities? Anything known about exotics?

I believe all the vet schools have strong small animal programs. It's only if your interested in equine/food animal/exotics/wildlife that you need to be more picky.

As far as hands on, it's really up to you. You are welcome down in the clinic anytime to watch procedures (some of us have even helped with some). There are lots of labs and club activities that give students the chance to try different things (ultrasounding, palpation, etc). There are also a lot of job opportunities working within the school if you want one (I'll warn you though, if you want one at the start of school, you have to ask someone in the office or check the website since they don't send too many emails about job opps to 1st years until the end of 1st semester). Clinics start May of 3rd year.

For exotics, you'll def. want to participate in WEZAM (the wildlife and exotics club). It's, I think, the largest club at school and they try and organize a lot of lectures, conferences and trips/labs. Avian club also does some things, with birds obviously :p , and a few other clubs occasionally have lectures on exotics. For classes, I know there are a few offered, but when the electives are offered changes every semester (I actually not sure if the exotics one wi girl was referring to was offered this year. Hopefully it's offered next year cuz I'm interested!) The actual exotics department isn't very big (I think there's 2 Drs and 1 resident), but there are def. opportunities outside school to get hands on experience working with exotics. If you want any more info, feel free to PM me.

Why doesn't WI get someone on their website design? It would be a bit more helpful if I could find a bit more out ... and I've been staking to see if they have the self-report anywhere, and I can't find it. Grrrrr ...

Oh, wivet2011 ... what other schools have you seen? how do the facilities compare? (I'd PM, but this is info everyone could use)

Why doesn't WI get someone on their website design? It would be a bit more helpful if I could find a bit more out ... and I've been staking to see if they have the self-report anywhere, and I can't find it. Grrrrr ...

Oh, wivet2011 ... what other schools have you seen? how do the facilities compare? (I'd PM, but this is info everyone could use)

Personally, I found all the vet school websites to be hard to find info on!

I toured Kansas and Purdue and just stopped briefly at Iowa last year. I absolutely loved Kansas. The facilities were a little older, but still very nice. Purdue I don't remember a lot about, to be honest, I don't think I actually got much of a tour of the facility at the interview... the "tour" they offered was a bus tour of the entire campus. Yeah, that's helpful considering most of the next 4yrs is spent in ONE building! Because I just stopped by Iowa, I didn't get a tour there either, but I do know they were doing a lot of updates last year, so my guess is their facilities are prob. looking pretty nice. As for WI, the labs are nice...lots of space to work (for anyone that's seen the labs at Kansas, the labs at WI are a lot bigger and newer looking) The clinic is nice, not huge, but it's always busy down there! Oh, and one thing that everyone is excited about is the digital x-ray machine. The rads taken with it are so purdy!! Oh, and they just completed and moved some departments into the new diagnostics building. Super nice.

Not sure if that helps or not, or if that even was the kind of info you were looking for.

That was, actually, what I was looking for :) So where are classes taught? And I know you guys have your own lockers ... do you have your own desks too? And desks for microscopy and such? Just trying to get an idea of what my new "home" space could be (if I get in) ...

First, don't remember if you've ever been to the school. The clinic is kind of on one side/downstairs and the labs/lecture halls are upstairs on the other side of the building. Let's see... there are two large lecture halls in the building where most classes are held. Each row is one long desk if that makes any sense. Not sure how best to describe it. There are also 2 labs. One is used for anatomy and surgery labs (I know, sounds a little odd, but you'd be amazed at how clean everything is) and the other is used for "dry labs" like histo, neuro, path, etc. In the anatomy lab, you are assigned to a group in one of the bays (4 bays total). Unfortunately, we don't have assigned draws to keep our stuff in. There are empty draws under the sinks that you can keep things in if you want, but they don't lock. In the other lab, there are draws under the lab benches, some shared, some not, depends on the class. For Histo, everyone had their own locking drawer to keep slide sets, etc in and then a shared microscope cabinet. Similar thing this semester for neuro.

Most of your time will obviously be spent in the lecture halls and even more in the labs. As far as places to study between classes or at night, there's the student lounge and the reading room. I personally prefer making the short trek down the block to the med school and studying in the atrium/library over there. Very nice since they finally agreed to give us badge access.

I actually haven't toured the school (or seen much of it) just the entry way and everything from there to the office of admissions ... and your info was exactly (once again) what I was looking for. It sounds like the lecture hall is like a conference room kinda (long tables in rows, with multiple seats at a row, all facing the front). I'm just trying to get a picture to compare, like I said. Now i just need to get in :)

Yup... your description sounds good. Because the lecture halls are kinda wedge shaped, the tables curve around. Kinda nice unless you end up along the walls. Then you can't really see the presentations, but there are a lot of people that could care less.

Hopefully you hear good news soon!

Yup... your description sounds good. Because the lecture halls are kinda wedge shaped, the tables curve around. Kinda nice unless you end up along the walls. Then you can't really see the presentations, but there are a lot of people that could care less.

Hopefully you hear good news soon!

You can see just fine if you're near the wall.

Also, the lecture halls are slightly tiered, so the heads of the people in front of you don't really get in the way.

I know you haven't asked about the curriculum, but I'm not a big fan. During first year, at least, it's very disjointed (in my opinion). There are quite a number of things that would be easier to understand in anatomy if you know the development of them before trying to locate them in the cadaver (heart, gut etc). They try to make connections between material, except for sometimes what you learn in histo goes against what you learn in Developmental Anatomy. You are constantly getting the question 'Did you learn this yet in X class?' It's like they don't really talk to one another about the schedule of their courses. If you want to make connections between classes, it's up to you, because they're not really going to piece the picture together for you.

The clinics are pretty nice. Not new, but not too old either. I heard rumors of building new clinics in the next 5ish years, but I'm sure that's funding dependent.

Hmmm... maybe it's better along the walls towards the back?

Yeah, I agree they could line things up a little better between classes, but it's not bad and I'm sure every school has similar issues. Besides, it took us an entire semester to go through developmental and covering development of each organ system, etc as we did the dissection would make a lot less sense and would be way more disjointed.

Oh well... can't make everyone happy, that's why it's good to get different opinions!

Actually, what you both just said about the curriculum was great, and what I was looking for. I know this is terrible, but if I get into WI and MN, its not what I love about each school that's going to make the decision, but rather what I don't love (because I really really like both). So I'm just trying to get a broader picture. But, that's assuming I get into both, and I'm kinda in a down mood right now ... as carrbear would say, I've swung to negative. boo. (pouring glass of wine, putting in chick flick a la Bridget Jones)

However, thank you both for the information ... Habibti it sounds like you're a student at Madison too? I've already been PMing wivet2011, but you might get one or two, too, if you don't mind.

Actually, what you both just said about the curriculum was great, and what I was looking for. I know this is terrible, but if I get into WI and MN, its not what I love about each school that's going to make the decision, but rather what I don't love (because I really really like both). So I'm just trying to get a broader picture. But, that's assuming I get into both, and I'm kinda in a down mood right now ... as carrbear would say, I've swung to negative. boo. (pouring glass of wine, putting in chick flick a la Bridget Jones)

However, thank you both for the information ... Habibti it sounds like you're a student at Madison too? I've already been PMing wivet2011, but you might get one or two, too, if you don't mind.

No more swinging to negative! Stay positive. Riiiiiiiiiiiight-- like we can... :laugh:

No prob. I'll answer any questions.

I really liked Minnesota too, so I understand where you are coming from.