University of Waterloo...competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopin2bdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First off don't mind the screename, I used to be a pre-dent, but plans changed since I've been working with an optometrist the past year. Anyways, I will be moving to Canada in 6 months and am trying to wage my options into what health care field I'm going into. Like I've said Dentistry is a no-no. I really love the Optometry field and have been doing my research on University of Waterloo. I was wondering exactly how competitive U of Waterloo is? I hold a Bachelors in Biology w/ about a 3.0 GPA. I haven't taken the OAT but planning to do well on it (hopefully anything above a 350) . What are my chances? If not do you guys think a Masters program would be needed, I would be willing to do that if necessary. I'm hoping people who live in Canada can answer this for me. Also are there any other Health-Care professions (Allied Health Field) that are booming, like Chiropody or N.P.?? Please help.

Thanks,

Mr. Lost

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

First off don't mind the screename, I used to be a pre-dent, but plans changed since I've been working with an optometrist the past year. Anyways, I will be moving to Canada in 6 months and am trying to wage my options into what health care field I'm going into. Like I've said Dentistry is a no-no. I really love the Optometry field and have been doing my research on University of Waterloo. I was wondering exactly how competitive U of Waterloo is? I hold a Bachelors in Biology w/ about a 3.0 GPA. I haven't taken the OAT but planning to do well on it (hopefully anything above a 350) . What are my chances? If not do you guys think a Masters program would be needed, I would be willing to do that if necessary. I'm hoping people who live in Canada can answer this for me. Also are there any other Health-Care professions (Allied Health Field) that are booming, like Chiropody or N.P.?? Please help.

Thanks,

Mr. Lost

Hi there... I am not Canadian, so take my advice for what it is worth. Waterloo, as I understand it, isn't competitive, it is EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE. Basically, an entire country's worth of optometry applicants (English-speaking at least) apply there. They seem to look heavily at numbers, so I'm going to guess a 3.0 will be an uphill battle. Hopefully, some Canadians will chime in here with their opinions and experiences. And most people PLAN on doing well on the OAT - what are you doing to ensure that plan becomes reality?

If you are an American, why are you moving to Canada to get an optometry degree? Just curious...

One more thing - we have an SDN ambassador from Waterloo - pre_opt_sku. She is fabulous and can answer any questions you have about the school. Check out the SDN Ambassador thread at the top of the Optometry forum for more information.

No way in hell are you getting into Waterloo with a 3.0. Sorry to break it to you.

As I remember there was a student that got in with a 70% avg or something...his/her grades were not that great so he/she needed to be strong or powerful in other segments.

Its not impossible, though it may be hard. For what its worth, you should apply to many schools. If you dont get into Waterloo, or for that matter any other schools, then perhaps a Masters Degree/Post-Bach Degree may help.

Good-Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
another canadian's viewpoint...
i).... good move moving to canada ;^)

ii)getting into waterloo is ridiculously, _extremely_ competitive - they take about 70 students a year, and some of those spots are contracted to each province. you would need a 400 on the OAT, and courses that would raise your GPA to over 3.7 for them to look at you. they really just care about GPA.
this is why there is so many canadian students in american optometry schools.
here's their pre req website: http://www.optometry.uwaterloo.ca/prospective/od/academicrequirments.html#eligibility

iii) options: learn french well enough to learn optometry - the university of montreal has a school.
- get a master's? have no idea what their admissions office would say on that.
- stay in the usa to keep your residency status for an in-state optometry school, or one your state has a contract with.

any other options anyone?

As I remember there was a student that got in with a 70% avg or something...his/her grades were not that great so he/she needed to be strong or powerful in other segments.

not possible, the minimum to be considered is 75% and even that is woefully inadequate for UW. Realistically applicants must be in the 3.7 area or above to be considered competitive.

The OP best option is one of the schools in the US. Chiropody, has mentioned is an option, but in my experience looking at the profession it was difficult to get any ideal just how well most chiropodist do.

Sorry to admit it, but moving to Canada permanently kinda limits your options b/c almost everything has become so competitive. With a GPA of 3.0 the OP could be considered by some US med schools, but in Canada it's really limits an applicant to very few health professions.

Thats crazy! I mean here in the states if you have 3.2 and do well on the OAT you have a pretty legit chance. I mean I can only imagine how hard it is to get into Medical or Dental school. Anyways, I think I will shoot for a Masters and hope that helps. Anyone know how hard Pharmacy is? I mean I feel like I need reevaluate everything and maybe just start over my whole Bachelors in Canada haha...

And I'm moving to Canada because of some job opportunities in Toronto for my family and it just an option right now...

Thanks for the feedback!

Thats crazy! I mean here in the states if you have 3.2 and do well on the OAT you have a pretty legit chance. I mean I can only imagine how hard it is to get into Medical or Dental school. Anyways, I think I will shoot for a Masters and hope that helps. Anyone know how hard Pharmacy is? I mean I feel like I need reevaluate everything and maybe just start over my whole Bachelors in Canada haha...

And I'm moving to Canada because of some job opportunities in Toronto for my family and it just an option right now...

Thanks for the feedback!

Pharmacy, at least at University of Toronto, is also pretty competitive - though it probably doesn't quite require a gpa as high as is needed for UW Optometry. Nonetheless, still pretty tough, 2000+ applicants for 240 seats in the class. With a 3.7-3.8 I was rejected by UW and accepted to UT Pharmacy. However, the admission requirement is 1 year undergrad, so it might be possible to retake the pre-reqs, kill them and gain admission, but I would talk to U of T though first.

Hi! I'm entering first year Pharmacy this September at UofT and thought I'd chime in here. The minimum percentage average you need to apply (they look at percentages if they are available) is 70%, but the lowest entering average for the last couple of years is a 75%. The entering average median is around 80%. You also need to write the UTPAT instead of the PCAT. Check the official website for more information:

http://www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca

Admission requirements for Waterloo Pharmacy is different (even though UofT helped them set up their program), so if you're considering Waterloo also, you will need to check their website.

Edited: jefguth is correct. There were 1950 applicants in the 2007-2008 cycle and 240 seats to fill. I suspect Waterloo pulled away some of the applicants this year since there were 2500 applicants in the 2006-2007 cycle.

Hi, like the others have said, Waterloo is very competitive. They state on their website, over the past few years they have admitted students with an average anywhere between 82-92%. So that is probably a gpa of 3.6+. I am applying with a 3.56 gpa and am very worried about my chances. It is best to apply to some US schools as well. A question for the Canadian applicants, how many US schools do you apply to? Actually I would like to know how many optometry schools people apply to in general when submitting applications. I'm curious to see.

No way in hell are you getting into Waterloo with a 3.0. Sorry to break it to you.

Like someone mentioned, marks at Waterloo at Done with 100 pt number scales. The minimum avg required is 75. Personally, I had an average around 82 when got in, after completing an honours degree. That being said, most of my prereqs were well below the 80 mark. I dont agreee with the "no way in hell" comment above, because it depends on what a 3.0 translates into at waterloo, numberwise...Different schools have different conversion charts. Also, if you dominate the OAT, that may raise your stock as well. Also, UW takes 90 students per year now, not 70 as was stated above. I would just say that you make sure optometry is what you wanna do and give it a shot!

Also, for someone who asked, I am a Canadian who applied to Waterloo and 5 US schools (SCO - Awesome place!, ICO, PCO, IU, NECO-didnt go to interview). I went to interviews at 4, and got accepted to all of them, scholarships offered at 3/4.

MK

I really appreciate all the feedback! I want to say this, what if I get a Masters in a type of Science program at UoT or any other University in Ontario. This should typically make me a stronger applicant. I mean, shouldn't this set me apart from someone who has only taken pre-req's at 9 credits a semester with not ever having a job? I've always had 16+ credits and Summer School and I also had a parent that passed away one semester. I feel like Canada only looks at GPA and that's it! Shouldn't they see if I'm willing to finish a Masters, score high on my OAT that I really want to be an optometrist. I don't know what to do but I guess I'll just start hitting the OAT and wish for the best.

I've also looked into the Physical Theraphy programs as an alternative, does anyone have an input on that?

Thanks for all the info

I would just say that you make sure optometry is what you wanna do and give it a shot!

MK

Best advice here. If you work hard enough and long enough, you will be able to get into school somewhere. But you are bouncing all over the map with your career choice - used to be dentistry, now maybe optometry, but looking at pharm and PT as well. Take some time and research each profession. Do some shadowing, and then apply to the school(s) you are interested in. Don't let the fate of the admissions process determine which field you end up. You could very well be miserable...

Like someone mentioned, marks at Waterloo at Done with 100 pt number scales. The minimum avg required is 75. Personally, I had an average around 82 when got in, after completing an honours degree. That being said, most of my prereqs were well below the 80 mark. I dont agreee with the "no way in hell" comment above, because it depends on what a 3.0 translates into at waterloo, numberwise...Different schools have different conversion charts. Also, if you dominate the OAT, that may raise your stock as well. Also, UW takes 90 students per year now, not 70 as was stated above. I would just say that you make sure optometry is what you wanna do and give it a shot!

Also, for someone who asked, I am a Canadian who applied to Waterloo and 5 US schools (SCO - Awesome place!, ICO, PCO, IU, NECO-didnt go to interview). I went to interviews at 4, and got accepted to all of them, scholarships offered at 3/4.

MK

They are up to 90 now? Wow. I graduated Waterloo in 96 and they were only taking 60 at the time. I had an average of 82.9. I didn't even apply because I knew kids with scores MUCH higher than that and they weren't even getting interviews. It actually worked out well because I left after 3 years knowing that I had virtually no chance. There were people in my class who were rejected but elected to stick around and try again. Most of them were rejected again and ended up pursuing their educations in the states. It's good to know that 82 gets you in now...

So having lower scores actually HELPED me because I got out of there one year earlier....

Actually I have worked with an optometrist for almost a year now and I love it. So I know this is what I want to do. I've worked/shadowed a dentist in the past and I also liked what he did. I think both professions have their pros and cons but in reality I would feel left satisfied with either profession. Honestly, I am not even in it for the money but I am trying to be realistic. If there is no chance, then there is no chance in Canada. You should always have a plan b in case plan a doesn't work out. Look at Al Gore. Plan A: President of the United States Plan B: Advisor on Global Warming. I'm getting great information from you guys, and it seems like to me that U o Waterloo seems a far fetch, that way I can work on Plan B. Thanks for all the info and again good luck to everyones long but well worth trip in the healthcare field.

It's good to know that 82 gets you in now...QUOTE]

This surprises me very much. I had an average of 85-86% with mostly high 80's and 90's in first year pre-req's. Applied during my 3rd year in 2005, rejected at UW, accepted at ICO. Glad to be free of that frozen campus!:cool:

It's good to know that 82 gets you in now...

Well...82 doesnt neceassarily get you in. I know people who were turned away with averages in the high 80s and low 90s. I was one of the lower averages in my class, if you check the fast facts on the UW OPTOM website, the range for my class was 82%-94% or something like that. I was merely stating that there is hope for people who dont have all 90s on the their transcript, in which case, the interview and your shadowing experience is key

MK

Don't lose hope! Yes, Waterloo is competitive and when i was applying last year i thought i pretty much didn't have a chance (my gpa was not above 3.7), but i got in, so there is hope! (btw, i didn't end up choosing Waterloo--i know, crazy right? but i haven't regretted my decision at all. Good luck!

Well...82 doesnt neceassarily get you in. I know people who were turned away with averages in the high 80s and low 90s. I was one of the lower averages in my class, if you check the fast facts on the UW OPTOM website, the range for my class was 82%-94% or something like that. I was merely stating that there is hope for people who dont have all 90s on the their transcript, in which case, the interview and your shadowing experience is key

MK

That's good to know....when I was there there were people who had averages way up in the high 80s who weren't even getting interviews.

You know you're applying to a competitive program when straight As doesn't even get you interviewed! :eek:

Hey I2en,
Y didn't you accept the Waterloo offer?