Program-Specific Info / Q's University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didi29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I heard that UW-Seattle is supposed to notify applicants by mid-March. Has anyone heard anything yet?:unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

When I last talked to Mary, she said she would know by March 11th. I haven't heard anything yet though!

I emailed Mary yesterday, she said that she is sending out offers today in the afternoon. I did not ask if by email or post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eek, thanks for the update! Has anyone gotten an email?

oh wow...talk about anticipation!

Reactions: 1 users
I was told she would know today. But, did not specify email or letter.

I emailed Mary yesterday to ask when/how I should expect to find out my decision because I'm moving next week and wanted to know if I should change my contact address yet. I received a voicemail message from her this morning informing me that I am #5 on the "alternate" list (waitlist). I then spoke with her just a few minutes ago and she said it's likely that I'll be offered admission (possibly even before April 1st) because they initially offer about half of the spots to out-of-state students, many of whom decline the offer. She said last year they went pretty far into their waitlist. So that's good news for anyone who's on the waitlist! I'm actually out-of-state myself and waiting to hear from a few more schools still before I make any decisions, but UW is definitely one of my top choices. One thing I really like is that the program is on the quarter system because that's what I'm used to. Has anyone else found out their status??

Katland3, did Mary say if they were email people or sending letters out by post mail?

She said if I am ultimately accepted, she'll send the letter by post mail, so I assume all acceptances will be sent that way. Maybe along with a phone call? I'm not sure if she only called me today because I had emailed her with a question, or if she's calling everyone.

Out of curiosity, what did you all like about the program at UW? I'm applying in the next cycle and have yet to visit.

I emailed Mary yesterday to ask when/how I should expect to find out my decision because I'm moving next week and wanted to know if I should change my contact address yet. I received a voicemail message from her this morning informing me that I am #5 on the "alternate" list (waitlist). I then spoke with her just a few minutes ago and she said it's likely that I'll be offered admission (possibly even before April 1st) because they initially offer about half of the spots to out-of-state students, many of whom decline the offer. She said last year they went pretty far into their waitlist. So that's good news for anyone who's on the waitlist! I'm actually out-of-state myself and waiting to hear from a few more schools still before I make any decisions, but UW is definitely one of my top choices. One thing I really like is that the program is on the quarter system because that's what I'm used to. Has anyone else found out their status??

I got a call yesterday morning letting me know that I am #6 on the waitlist. It was so early in the morning (8AM!) I hope I didn't sound as tired as I felt. I should've asked Mary about how many people got into the program off the waitlist last year, but you answered it for me.

I definitely like the quarter system of UW. I've been in a semester system for the past four years, and I BADLY want september off (rather than having the extra time in May -- that's not even Summer yet!).

Reactions: 1 user
I got a call yesterday morning letting me know that I am #6 on the waitlist. It was so early in the morning (8AM!) I hope I didn't sound as tired as I felt. I should've asked Mary about how many people got into the program off the waitlist last year, but you answered it for me.

I definitely like the quarter system of UW. I've been in a semester system for the past four years, and I BADLY want september off (rather than having the extra time in May -- that's not even Summer yet!).

Great news! My call was very early too (before 8am--it woke me up so I let it go to voicemail since I was still half asleep!) The quarter system is great, and trust me it is nice having the month of September off when the weather is nicer. Since the quarter system is so fast-paced, I do think it might be pretty intense for graduate school, but it's nice that we'd get to take more classes overall. And adapting to that pace of learning is definitely doable for those who aren't used to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great news! My call was very early too (before 8am--it woke me up so I let it go to voicemail since I was still half asleep!) The quarter system is great, and trust me it is nice having the month of September off when the weather is nicer. Since the quarter system is so fast-paced, I do think it might be pretty intense for graduate school, but it's nice that we'd get to take more classes overall. And adapting to that pace of learning is definitely doable for those who aren't used to it.

It seems kinda superficial to focus on the calendar system, but it is the next three years of my life! I want to make sure that I'm content within the layout of the program.

I just received a notification via mail that I am on the alternate list. I will be calling Mary on Monday to see if she can tell me which spot on the alternate list I am. I've also been accepted to University of Puget Sound and have placed my deposit down but UW's cost of tuition is much cheaper than UPS, and the financial aspect is also a factor in my final decision. I'll be happy either way though. :)

I just received a notification via mail that I am on the alternate list. I will be calling Mary on Monday to see if she can tell me which spot on the alternate list I am. I've also been accepted to University of Puget Sound and have placed my deposit down but UW's cost of tuition is much cheaper than UPS, and the financial aspect is also a factor in my final decision. I'll be happy either way though. :)

That is very similar to my situation, except that I received an extension on my "intent to enroll" date at UPS to March 24, (and UPS is just as expensive as UW since I'm out of state). So maybe we'll be in the same cohort! :)

i have always attended semester schools...can someone enlighten me on the quarter system? you get september off? HUH? lol

i have always attended semester schools...can someone enlighten me on the quarter system? you get september off? HUH? lol

Most schools that use the quarter system start in late September and finish the academic year in mid June, as opposed to late August-May. They should have around the same number of school days total, so it's not like they get an extra month of summer or anything. But depending on where you live, the weather tends to be nicer in September, so that's a plus! The system is much more fast-paced, with each quarter lasting about 11 weeks. A couple of the pros are that you get to take more classes overall, and if there's a certain class or professor you don't like, you get the class over with sooner (hopefully this won't be a problem in OT school, though!). I think it's really personal preference because some students struggle with the condensed material and fast pace.

Last edited:

Thank you for your response, Lovelytothemax. So, September is off, even though the program is four quarters per year?

I've never experienced a semester program, but I go to a quarter school in the Seattle area now. It's beautiful here in September, I imagine it would be hard to concentrate if you had classes then!

I believe the summer quarter is mid-June through mid-August, then fall classes start up late September.

I received an envelope today, but there was no letter in it! The suspense continues :p

Hi,

I am currently a first year OT student at UW. Last year around the same time, I was just like you struggling to make decisions and search for more information. I would be happy to share my experience and answer your questions. Here is my email: [email protected]

Best of luck to all of you!

Etmoi

Any news from UW? I have both called and e-mailed Mary this week. Will they let people know if they have been wait-listed or only notify applicants with acceptance and rejection letters? This is one of my top choices, and I have not heard a thing. Getting nervous!

About two weeks ago, I received a call indicating my position on the waitlist. Also, they sent out a letter with the same information... To answer your question simply -- phone call and snail mail.

How were you notifeid - snail mail, e-mail, phone call?

Lovelytothemax is right, I received a phone call and then the letter came in the mail the following week. Today was the deadline to accept or decline the offer, so they will probably start contacting people from the wait list soon!

I accepted my offer to UW last week but just emailed Mary after deciding to decline, so my seat will be open for a waitlister!

me accepted my offer to UW last week but just emailed Mary after deciding to decline, so my seat will be open for a waitlister!
Did you notice that the "Is" are being autocorrected to "me"? ... it's kinda funny! :p

Hello gocoug----- What made you decide to decline your offer? Did you get into somewhere else you were waiting for instead? Btw does W offer any grants or merit aid?

me accepted my offer to UW last week but just emailed Mary after decidin' to decline, so my seat will be open for a waitlister!

Ahoy gocoug----- What made you decide to decline yer offer? Did you get into somewhere else you were waitin' for instead? Btw does W offer any grants or merit aid?

Haha this pirate thing is awesome... I toured UW's OT program this past weekend and it just didn't seem like the right fit for me. It seems like a really great program, but just has different priorities than what I want in the program I go to. Sorry if it seems like I'm beating around the bush or something, I just don't want it to seem like I'm bashing a program when in reality it just didn't suit my personal wants I guess, hope that makes sense? I ended up accepting an offer at Pacific University though! As for merit aid, I don't believe they do but I'm not 100% positive on that. She didn't mention any student scholarships available through the program, but if you're from in state it's a lot more affordable than some other programs I had looked at!