University of Washington Internal Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sezratd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how hard is it to get in U of W medicine residency?
Do you need AOA & boards score 240+ (even 250+) to get interview or get in?

what do the current residents think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
how hard is it to get in U of W medicine residency?
Do you need AOA & boards score 240+ (even 250+) to get interview or get in?

what do the current residents think?

UW residents speak highly of the program and of their experience there. Some complain that the career mentoring could be better (ie., that, compared to other programs, you don't get a whole lot of support when you are applying to external fellowships). Many of them are there because they are UW lifers. However, there are also a lot of people who are there because they did not get into UCSF.

-AT.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what board score is competitive to get in UW internal medicine?

I'd say that generally you probably need the AOA and 240+ to get an interview for most applicants. If you're applying internally or from a top 10 school you probably get some leeway.

I'd say that generally you probably need the AOA and 240+ to get an interview for most applicants. If you're applying internally or from a top 10 school you probably get some leeway.

I think it's the kind of place that looks for something that makes you stand out from the crowd. But that something can be almost anything. 240+, AOA, PhD, publication history, whatever.

Quit fretting over your Step 1 score (which you presumably can't do anything about now), apply and see what happens.

I think it's the kind of place that looks for something that makes you stand out from the crowd. But that something can be almost anything. 240+, AOA, PhD, publication history, whatever.

Quit fretting over your Step 1 score (which you presumably can't do anything about now), apply and see what happens.

I'm working on a getting a LOR from Charlie Sheen, that's gonna be my ticket!

Honestly, if I was a PD and I found an application with a LOR from Sheen - full stop - find name on ERAS - click invite button

I'm serious too

In our current climate, who would be the three most jaw dropping LORs? My opinion:

1. Charlie Sheen (so, my current warlock...)
2. Maria Shriver (So arnold, his penis is the size of...)
3. Barak Obama (So, this is how I effed up the economy...)

I have a good friend who is PGY2 there who did not get AOA or honor the MS3 IM rotation. I suspect Sub-I was honors, don't know Step 1.

I got an interview there last year, my step 1 was well under 240. Step 2 was higher. I was not AOA. I did honor IM and my sub-I.

Both of us went to school across the country, not a top ranked place either. We had fairly interesting extra-curriculars though.