This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fz94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

Hi hope everyone has been keeping well. I am a California native, and this is my second time applying to vet school. I interviewed at KSU, WesternU, have an interview lined up at University of Illinois, and have been put on waitlist for University of Florida interview. I also got accepted into the DVM Program at the University of Sydney and they start school in Feb17th. As I am scurrying about trying to make sure I have everything sorted if in case I do end up going to Australia, I am also anxiously awaiting results from Western University of Health Sciences. I received an email from them saying that decisions will be out by Feb5th 2020 at the latest. Ironically I was also offered an interview at University of Illinois which is to take place in Feb17th. I was also waiting a decision from Kansas State but alas I was placed on the alternate list which is just as good as being rejected. Right now I am wondering what to do. I could just go to USYD, or wait until WesternU gets back to me and if I get accepted there I might accept the offer and also attend the Interview at Illinois. If I get accepted into Illinois or pulled of the KSU waitlist that would be amazing but I don't want to get my hopes up. If WesternU rejects me I will have no choice but to go to USYD if I want to start my DVM journey this year. I stupidly forgot how soon USYD starts and now feel super under prepared. Alternatively I could forget everything and simply re-apply to vet school next year. I was wondering if I can get any insight about WesternU vs University of Sydney from anyone who has attended the schools. I feel like that would help me in making my decisions.

Sorry for the exhaustive message,
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really have anything to offer in way of the 2 schools, but I guess my thing about all of this since everything seems so last minute could you even begin school on time? I take it you still need to get housing as well as your visa and visa applications take forever&a day. That's assuming you already have your passport which I assume you do or going anywhere abroad is definitely out of the question for the time frame you gave. It also looks like Western would be ~30k less than Australia + moving expenses. Your ideal situation momentarily would be acceptance to Illinois. I guess kind of what is your end goal? Also I don't know how financing works for attending a school abroad like that.

ETA: Don't count yourself out for IL or KS yet the cycle is still young especially since you haven't even interviewed at IL yet and OOS wait lists normally move a decent amount.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't really have anything to offer in way of the 2 schools, but I guess my thing about all of this since everything seems so last minute could you even begin school on time? I take it you still need to get housing as well as your visa and visa applications take forever&a day. That's assuming you already have your passport which I assume you do or going anywhere abroad is definitely out of the question for the time frame you gave. It also looks like Western would be ~30k less than Australia + moving expenses. Your ideal situation momentarily would be acceptance to Illinois. I guess kind of what is your end goal? Also I don't know how financing works for attending a school abroad like that.

ETA: Don't count yourself out for IL or KS yet the cycle is still young especially since you haven't even interviewed at IL yet and OOS wait lists normally move a decent amount.
I actually have my student visa already. I wanted to prepare for all possible outcomes to some extent so I did apply for and received my Australian Student visa. Regarding housing, I need to make arrangements ASAP in case WesternU doesn't come through. I do have my US passport current and ready. Western's tuiton is about 50-55K annually and USYD is 66K annually in AUD (but in USD that is about 45K). So taking into consideration total cost of attendance there isn't a terrible difference in pricing. Ill end up with a student loan debt of approximately 250-300K regardless of which of those schools I go to. The only good thing about accepting WesternU is the potential prospect of getting accepted into Illinois if I do well on the interview or getting called off of the KSU waitlist. Also if I opt out of USYD and if WesternU doesn't pick me then Ill be banking on my chances of getting out of the KSU waitlist and acing the Illinois interview. Regarding my end goal, I would like to get started on my DVM curriculum. My long-term goal is to becomign a exotic animal vet either working at a private practice or working at a zoo. Im also interested in going into lab animal medicine.

I actually have my student visa already. I wanted to prepare for all possible outcomes to some extent so I did apply for and received my Australian Student visa. Regarding housing, I need to make arrangements ASAP in case WesternU doesn't come through. I do have my US passport current and ready. Western's tuiton is about 50-55K annually and USYD is 66K annually in AUD (but in USD that is about 45K). So taking into consideration total cost of attendance there isn't a terrible difference in pricing. Ill end up with a student loan debt of approximately 250-300K regardless of which of those schools I go to. The only good thing about accepting WesternU is the potential prospect of getting accepted into Illinois if I do well on the interview or getting called off of the KSU waitlist. Also if I opt out of USYD and if WesternU doesn't pick me then Ill be banking on my chances of getting out of the KSU waitlist and acing the Illinois interview. Regarding my end goal, I would like to get started on my DVM curriculum. My long-term goal is to becomign a exotic animal vet either working at a private practice or working at a zoo. Im also interested in going into lab animal medicine.
I was just using VIN's COA map which is fairly accurate and took into account living costs over the span of the program is how I got the ~30k difference that Australia would be more expensive. That's not including if you ever wanted to try to come home to the states it would be alot more expensive and time consuming for you to get home than if you stayed in the states if that's a factor you need to consider or not.