University of Sydney Clinical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

driedcaribou

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about them?

Like, how far is it to get to Northern from the main campus?

Are any schools 'better' or 'worse' in terms of teaching?

Members don't see this ad.

I can give a rough idea of travel times from USyd to the main hospitals of the clinical schools. (I'm doing this all from memory, and I'm not a USyd student, so I may be a bit off.) However, I'm quite sure a lot of time is also spent in the satellite hospitals of the schools, which can be some distance from the main hospitals.

Central: Royal Prince Alfred is across the road from USyd. Concord would be roughly a 20 min bus ride.

Northern: Royal North Shore is within walking distance of St Leonards railway station, which is 20 min by train from Redfern, the closest station to USyd. I think the satellite hospitals can be an hour or more from USyd, accessible by bus.

Western: Westmead is about 40 min by train from the city, and Nepean is about an hour from the city by train. I don't know how close the hospitals are to the railway stations.

Members don't see this ad :)
From campus,
Central: RPAH is right there, Concord is 20 minutes train from Redfern station and then a 10 minute walk. All together I would bank on 50 minutes from campus to Concord if you make in just before the train gets to redfern station.

Northern: Plan on about an hour (maybe a tad more) if you plan it right.

Western: Plan for an hour to Westmead and a bit more for Napean.

If you have a car or get a ride with someone (many people ride together, particularly if you live around the campus), then it takes much less time for all these (obviously).

Thanks for the help guys.

That 'Feet First' link was quite interesting- where did you find it bgeez?

It's nice to get feedback from people who've been there.
Is travelling around by bus or train expensive to those clinical schools?

An hour travel time sounds pretty brutal... I guess you'd move closer in 3rd and 4th year.

Correction on the North Shore Hospital thing, it is 45 minutes if you do it right. Manly (also northern clinical school) is about an hour and 15 minutes. Northern costs about 8 bucks round-trip and Concord cost $6.80 round-trip. Its a bit expensive, thank goodness it is only once a week.

driedcaribou, i was searching for infos on clinical school on usyd website and i found these very useful sites. i will be at usyd in feb 04.

tkrd, i was thinking of getting a car in sydney. is it affordable??
thanks

Originally posted by bgeez
driedcaribou, i was searching for infos on clinical school on usyd website and i found these very useful sites. i will be at usyd in feb 04.

thanks

My opinion is no.

But that really depends on your budget. When you add up all the costs associated with it (repair, petrol, insurance etc.) it can become quite expensive.

My suggestion is that if your housemates are in your program then it might be worthwhile getting a car between you...as for by yourself the costs may be a bit much.

bgeez: Doh! I guess I have to search the website harder.

I haven't decided if I want to go yet.
I haven't tried for any schools here yet....

If I do go, I'll see you there. :)

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Originally posted by bgeez
thanks

If you get a cheap car, you could get away with having one. But it is definitely not essential (unless of course you are into surfing/going to the beach very often and plan on living close to campus).

Tough call. Depends on your funds. Affordable is all relative.

Originally posted by flindophile
I visited them all recently...

Oh.. NOW you tell me.

lol

Northern was my first choice then I decided Concord would be better for rehab so then I put down Central on my application form hoping they would send me to Concord.

Aahahahaahahaaha

Did I pick the leftover choice first???

How do they even allocate?

I hope I can switch.
lol

:laugh: