University of Rochester lawsuit against Pediatrics attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thepoopologist

Ph.D in Clinical Meconium
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well...this sounds horrifying.

https://www.democratandchronicle.co...-urmc-sued-raping-drugging-student/380584002/

• Blickman invited her to his house in August 2014 to discuss a research project, then drugged and raped her.
  • He subsequently blackmailed her with nude photographs and said he would "humiliate her and ... destroy her life" if she reported his actions, and that he had done the same thing to someone in Boston, where he formerly worked.
  • He met several times with Kaplan-List's boyfriend and attempted to involve him in killing his (Blickman's) ex-wife, saying: " I want the problem to go away permanently. ... It is very easy. She rides her bicycle every morning without a helmet and takes the same course daily."
  • He continued to coerce Kaplan-List to have sex with him, including at least once in his office at Strong.
  • He made "bizarre requests" of her, including role-playing that she was a child patient and then molesting her, and having sexual contact with his dog.
  • After she became pregnant in January 2015, he continued to coerce her into having sex and ignored her request that he use a condom even though he had a urinary tract infection.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be nice if the writer stops calling the resident as an accuser in the article since it's dehumanizing. Just replace the word "accuser" with "victim", since empathy is important.

Horrible tragedy all around.

Reactions: 1 user
It would be nice if the writer stops calling the resident as an accuser in the article since it's dehumanizing. Just replace the word "accuser" with "victim", since empathy is important.

Horrible tragedy all around.

I know nothing about this attending, but "accuser" is ABSOLUTLEY the correct term. The article linked is just a description of claims in a lawsuit. Not a list of facts about this case. It is dehumanizing to immediately assume guilt when a lawsuit is filed. If you've ever been sued for malpractice you know how much the truth can be twisted. Everyone will get their day in court, and (maybe) justice will be served. But encouraging the press to libel people is not admirable.

Reactions: 14 users
I know nothing about this attending, but "accuser" is ABSOLUTLEY the correct term. The article linked is just a description of claims in a lawsuit. Not a list of facts about this case. It is dehumanizing to immediately assume guilt when a lawsuit is filed. If you've ever been sued for malpractice you know how much the truth can be twisted. Everyone will get their day in court, and (maybe) justice will be served. But encouraging the press to libel people is not admirable.
In addition, victim is not the preferred term either as some find it diminishing.

Reactions: 3 users
In addition, victim is not the preferred term either as some find it diminishing.

Good to know. I stand corrected. I guess I got swayed by the descriptions of the events.

Reactions: 3 users
I know of several people who were falsely accused and later proven innocent. Anyone can claim anything they want, but whether it is truthful is another thing. I believe don't put yourself in that situation in the first place. Always be professional. Don't harass people. Don't date your patients or students. Don't be in a room by yourself with a female or minor patient.

Reactions: 1 users
When I enter practice, I don’t plan to put myself and lone female staff ever in the same space at work if I can help it. Just for liability reasons.

I know of several people who were falsely accused and later proven innocent. Anyone can claim anything they want, but whether it is truthful is another thing. I believe don't put yourself in that situation in the first place. Always be professional. Don't harass people. Don't date your patients or students. Don't be in a room by yourself with a female or minor patient.

I agree with the spirit of what you are saying, but it is fairly impractical to never be alone in a room with a female patient for a routine office visit/exam. I do call in an MA for rectals.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the spirit of what you are saying, but it is fairly impractical to never be alone in a room with a female patient for a routine office visit/exam. I do call in an MA for rectals.

I call in my MA anytime the patient needs to expose her skin. Rash in the upper back? MA. Under breast? MA? Thighs? MA.

Inguinal LAD? MA!

I even call her in for a few male exams!