University of Queensland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZAZA67401

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, Has anyone seen the advertisement at the top of the forum for this school in Australia? Its right on the Gold Coast, man I wish medical schools here were near the beach. I guess UCSD is and maybe the florida schools, oh well

Members don't see this ad.

ZAZA67401 said:
Seriously, Has anyone seen the advertisement at the top of the forum for this school in Australia? Its right on the Gold Coast, man I wish medical schools here were near the beach. I guess UCSD is and maybe the florida schools, oh well
I've seen it. Went to the site and checked it out. I don't know enough to tell if they are legit.

Anyone care to go and check?

It is a legit program. My old university that I used to attend had an affiliation with a study abroad program, Australearn.org that enrolled students directly into the University of Queensland and other schools in Australia.

Members don't see this ad :)
phunkeyfantom said:
It is a legit program. My old university that I used to attend had an affiliation with a study abroad program, Australearn.org that enrolled students directly into the University of Queensland and other schools in Australia.

We had their ads up all over our campus...and also the medical school of the carribean (or whatever the official name is).

I probably wouldnt get my but up of the sand to go to class, but it would be really nice :D

MD1Day said:
We had their ads up all over our campus...and also the medical school of the carribean (or whatever the official name is).

I probably wouldnt get my but up of the sand to go to class, but it would be really nice :D

UQ is in Brisbane, about an hour train ride from the Gold Coast/Surfer's Paradise. It is a huge city with great public transportation that is divided by a river. The school has wakeboarding/waterskiing clubs that take weekend trips in the river, but there is an occasional bull shark spotting since it is not too far from the coast. I spent the fall of 2001 at UQ. I don't have any experience with the med school, but as far as undergrad classes go, they grade on a scale of 1-7 with a 4 being the minimum to pass. The classes were pretty easy, grades don't seem to be nearly as important to students there as in the US. That said, I would love to go back, but probably not for medical school... unless I don't get into one here!

If you have any questions, let me know!

Adam

Go to UQ! I went the fall of 2003. It was the time of my life. I even took 2 bio classes. Anywhere in the Australia/New Zealand area will be a blast. Definetly go!

PM with any questions.

uhm... a school that none of us has heard of, and all these posters saying you should go there? Sounds a bit suspicious to me. I wonder what their residency match list looks like.

Flopotomist said:
uhm... a school that none of us has heard of, and all these posters saying you should go there? Sounds a bit suspicious to me. I wonder what their residency match list looks like.

take a chill pill, no need to be suspicious. it's one of the better universities in australia. from what i do know, not all that many americans (probably less than 10 attend each year) attend med at queensland so their match list wouldn't be a good representation of the school's strengths. anyway since it's an aussie uni, the lecturers don't teach specifically for the boards, although they do help with review for the usmle for students who intend to practice in the states. unlike some med schs in the caribbean, it isn't a place tailored for mainland usa med sch rejects. i'd say facilities and infrastructure in australia is definitely comparable to american standards, and a better bet than caribbean schools. the american dollar being stronger than the aussie dollar also makes med sch in australia more affordable.

i can't honestly say i'm 100% in the know, but i do know that medical licensing where i stay (singapore) is extremely stringent - for example only grads of 21 of the top tier med schs in usa are allowed to do internships in hospitals here, for australia the figure is 10 and queensland is one of them.

Flopotomist said:

University of Queensland is definitely a reputable school. One of the better med schools in Australia and not suspicious at all. If you ask an Australian to name medical schools in the USA they would be lucky to name 10, and there are definitely more than 10 quality schools in the US. Keep in mind though that Australian schools are for Australians and as such they don't teach towards USMLE or gaining US residency etc. as the Caribbean schools do.

I did all of my medical school training at The University of Queensland. It is the largest medical school in Australia. An honest assessment would rank it 3rd in prestige among Australian medical schools, with Melbourne Uni and Sydney Uni arguing it out for number 1 & 2. There is no difference in quality among the 3, but Sydney & Melbourne are the 2 biggest cities in the country (Brisbane ranking 3rd), so many think bigger is better, hence the greater prestige. (Like many people would say NY is more prestigious than Philly just because NY is bigger)

It is by far the most prestigious in Queensland (the 3rd biggest state). It is the largest in Australia because both Sydney & Melbourne have 2 major medical schools which dilute their numbers)

UQ is fully recognised worldwide & by the World Health Organisation. UQ graduates commonly go on to do fellowships at major UK & US university hospitals. (I'm at Mayo now)

UQ is not on the beach though - it is an hour's drive from the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast. The weather in Queensland is like Florida, so that is certainly one advantage. You would have opportunities to rotate to hospitals all throughout Qld (I did rotations in Cairns, near the Great Barrier Reef, and on the Gold Coast).

The cost of living in Brisbane is much much less than Sydney, and much less than Melbourne.
I hope this clears up some of the misunderstandings and errors above. Feel free to ask me any questions :)

JBA said:
University of Queensland is definitely a reputable school. One of the better med schools in Australia and not suspicious at all. If you ask an Australian to name medical schools in the USA they would be lucky to name 10, and there are definitely more than 10 quality schools in the US. Keep in mind though that Australian schools are for Australians and as such they don't teach towards USMLE or gaining US residency etc. as the Caribbean schools do.

It's true that Australian schools don't teach specifically for the USMLE, but when myself and a group of my friends sat USMLE part I & II, we all got above the 90th percentile & two of us got 99th percentile for Step II. (I don't mean to brag, but I just want to give some evidence that the training here is as good as anywhere in Australia, and as good or better than many better known universities around the world) (I am a bit of a nerd though :) & I did study pretty hard at Uni)

Retinamark said:
It's true that Australian schools don't teach specifically for the USMLE, but when myself and a group of my friends sat USMLE part I & II, we all got above the 90th percentile & two of us got 99th percentile for Step II. (I don't mean to brag, but I just want to give some evidence that the training here is as good as anywhere in Australia, and as good or better than many better known universities around the world) (I am a bit of a nerd though :) & I did study pretty hard at Uni)

Retina, it's always nice to hear good news coming from people with experience down unda'.

I've applied to UQ and UniMelb (choice 1 and 2, respectively), and I'm just finishing up this horrid AMCAS application now. After that, its on to my native Canadian med school apps, where I've got the smallest of chances for entrance. Hah.. all this with a 3.5/35S - go figure. There should be tax breaks for the insane amount of time/money/effort required just to apply for North American schools...

Anyway, unless something catastrophic happens in North America (ie. I actually *get in* somewhere), I'm Australia-bound. A friend of mine is currently in first year at UQ, and he loves it.

So far, everything I've read and heard supports your point - that is, that an Aussie med education is definitely reputable. So whoever here is suspicious should just do some research for themselves... I think you'll see that there's nothing to be suspicious about.

M.

Members don't see this ad :)
Off2Oz said:
Retina, it's always nice to hear good news coming from people with experience down unda'.

I've applied to UQ and UniMelb (choice 1 and 2, respectively), and I'm just finishing up this horrid AMCAS application now. After that, its on to my native Canadian med school apps, where I've got the smallest of chances for entrance. Hah.. all this with a 3.5/35S - go figure. There should be tax breaks for the insane amount of time/money/effort required just to apply for North American schools...

Anyway, unless something catastrophic happens in North America (ie. I actually *get in* somewhere), I'm Australia-bound. A friend of mine is currently in first year at UQ, and he loves it.

So far, everything I've read and heard supports your point - that is, that an Aussie med education is definitely reputable. So whoever here is suspicious should just do some research for themselves... I think you'll see that there's nothing to be suspicious about.

M.

bro, you're a pessimist. avrg gpa but definitely a competitive mcat! it's all about your interviews and essays now.

haha but i really wouldn't mind oz if i were you. you'll start school 6 months earlier, aus$ are slightly weaker than american/canadian$$, and have a ball of a time down under. so if you do get rejected from north america... fantastic excuse to head to aussie :D

zhaf86 said:
bro, you're a pessimist. avrg gpa but definitely a competitive mcat! it's all about your interviews and essays now.

haha but i really wouldn't mind oz if i were you. you'll start school 6 months earlier, aus$ are slightly weaker than american/canadian$$, and have a ball of a time down under. so if you do get rejected from north america... fantastic excuse to head to aussie :D

Yep, that's why I'm such a pessimist =).

I'd rather get an MD in North America - I'd like to return to practice at home. Other than that, I have no reason not to head to Australia...

Either way, I'll hopefully be accepted to a program somewhere by this time next year.. =)

M.

Retinamark said:

Yeah, how is that. NBME doesn't provide percentile data!

sunnyjohn said:
I've seen it. Went to the site and checked it out. I don't know enough to tell if they are legit.

Anyone care to go and check?

What kind of school advertises here? (What a desparate tacky ad.) That should give you all the info you need.

Depends on what you mean by legit? Will they take your money and give you a piece of paper?

Off2Oz said:
I've applied to UQ and UniMelb (choice 1 and 2, respectively), and I'm just finishing up this horrid AMCAS application now. After that, its on to my native Canadian med school apps, where I've got the smallest of chances for entrance. Hah.. all this with a 3.5/35S - go figure.

Unless you have some deep dark secrets in N. America or come off as a real goober, why are you even considering "offshore". And why didn't you put Melbourne first? You put what most would consider about the second to last most respected program in Australia ahead of Australia's most prestigious (and competitive) program. Weather, maybe?

BTW, IMO, it's not what the students at the schools think, it's how their international grads are faring (and where!).

spherical said:
Unless you have some deep dark secrets in N. America or come off as a real goober, why are you even considering "offshore". And why didn't you put Melbourne first? You put what most would consider about the second to last most respected program in Australia ahead of Australia's most prestigious (and competitive) program. Weather, maybe?

BTW, IMO, it's not what the students at the schools think, it's how their international grads are faring (and where!).

Second to last? Hmm... that's definitely not something I've heard before. In any case, I chose to put Melbourne second because of the extra half year. That and the fact that they don't get back to people for a good long time. However, I've contacted them, and am hoping to get their feedback soon. Oh, and note also that their degree program is 4.5 years and not 4... that's an extra 20-25k bucks by my reckoning...

As for being a goober, well, I'm unfortunately a Canadian goober, where my marks and MCAT are definitely not very competitive. So, I'm considering all my other options.

Why is it that you consider UQ so lowly? I'm just curious. Oh, and any info on where and how Melbourne's internationals are faring would be great! I'm all ears!

Alright, enough about Oz.. back to AMCAS...

M.

USMLE does provide percentile data
spherical said:
Yeah, how is that. NBME doesn't provide percentile data!

What are you talking about? USMLE does provide percentile data When I did USMLE step I & II in 1998, they gave you a score, and the information booklet allowed you to correlate the score with a percentile. For step II, I got 252 which correlated with 99th percentile.

The perecentile rank is the more important figure, because the raw scores change each year, and have been drifting upwards over the years, but what is more important is your rank within the cohort of people who sat the exam that year.

spherical said:

Spherical, I don't know where you have come from, but you join a couple of days ago & add a few totally incorrect, rude and arrogant comments & expect to be taken seriously? You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. "second to last"..... yeah right.... in your opinion maybe. Not in the opinion of anyone that matters. Get your facts straight, troll.

spherical said:
What kind of school advertises here? (What a desparate tacky ad.) That should give you all the info you need.

Depends on what you mean by legit? Will they take your money and give you a piece of paper?

I think it's a clever place to advertise. Harvard advertises in Australia - are you going to say they are desperate & "second to last"?

You have a serious chip on your shoulder. Are you sure you are not USMedStudent? I suspect so. Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?

USMLE does NOT provide percentile data.

USMLE stopped giving percentile data in 1999. This is all explained on their website.

http://www.usmle.org/Scores/percentiles.htm

Anyway, if you finished medical school in Australia in prior to 1998 (as a local student?), you would have had a vastly different experience than students today (a decade later) can expect. Arguably, it was a different era back then with much less dependence on foreign "capital". Many programs have significantly declined in both quality and reputation with the introduction of shorter dumbed down programs and the large influx of "international" students ($$$) with questionable academic credentials.

Retinamark said:
USMLE does provide percentile data

What are you talking about? USMLE does provide percentile data When I did USMLE step I & II in 1998, they gave you a score, and the information booklet allowed you to correlate the score with a percentile. For step II, I got 252 which correlated with 99th percentile.

The perecentile rank is the more important figure, because the raw scores change each year, and have been drifting upwards over the years, but what is more important is your rank within the cohort of people who sat the exam that year.

spherical said:
Many programs have significantly declined in both quality and reputation with the introduction of shorter dumbed down programs and the large influx of "international" students ($$$) with questionable academic credentials.

Well you can think that, but I haven't heard any evidence of that. I'm not sure on what basis you make that claim. In fact I suspect you may not have the experience or credentials to know.

There would be many physicians & surgeons who spend a lot of time every year working on ways to improve the course, who would strongly disagree with your comments.

some sounds like USMedStudent. if you're trolling spherical, f off.

spherical said:
Many programs have significantly declined in both quality and reputation with the introduction of shorter dumbed down programs and the large influx of "international" students ($$$) with questionable academic credentials.

the onus is on you to provide proof. please do so. don't blabber baseless rhetoric.

spherical said:

spherical, you're clueless. People like you would never go Oz b.c. they'll never understand why one might do so. Open your mind to alternate world views, lad.

-pitman (UQ)

spherical said:

Australians view ads about schools quite differently than the more conceited Americans.

Yes, they will take your money. And in exchange, you get to attend their school with Australians. And if you graduate, they will give you what's called a diploma. Then you become a doctor. Real novel idea, eh?

I'm at UQ now. I can't compare it to programs back home but from what I understand the methods are very similar (except for evaluation). Most med schools in the US/Canada are on the PBL bandwagon and love to use buzz words like "self-directed learning" etc. The curriculum is probably similar but the Australian schools seem to focus on communication skills more at the detriment of the science part. This means that in the end you will probably have the same body of knowledge but will have to study a fair amount extra for the USMLE. (ie. Detailed knowledge of biochem pathways and other stuff that most students would rather not have learned anyways!)

Med seems to attract alot of snooty individuals who want to think that they have are the pinnacle of intelligence etc.. The assumption that you go to Aus just because your grades are poor is false since most of the people I know here had competitive grades back home. Alot of people are in Aus because they are changing careers and wanted to live somewhere nice during the process or don't even want to settle down in their own country. If you have travelled alot and can see yourself settling down in another country then why not go study there? Personally I would rather have 300+ days of sunshine a year than live back in Ontario again!

However I must concede the point that advertising a medical school online may seem a little tacky (haven't seen the ad myself though). The school should probably focus on its current international students and make sure they have the best experience possible. Word of mouth is the most powerful advertising tool and positive comments by UQ students on forums like this is more likely to attract students than any cheesy banner advert.

pitman said:
Australians view ads about schools quite differently than the more conceited Americans.

Yes, they will take your money. And in exchange, you get to attend their school with Australians. And if you graduate, they will give you what's called a diploma. Then you become a doctor. Real novel idea, eh?

markdc said:
However I must concede the point that advertising a medical school online may seem a little tacky (haven't seen the ad myself though). The school should probably focus on its current international students and make sure they have the best experience possible. Word of mouth is the most powerful advertising tool and positive comments by UQ students on forums like this is more likely to attract students than any cheesy banner advert.
On second thought, the decision of Queensland to advertise on SDN may have been quite rationale. It happens that erroneous, untruthful information was posted on this forum regarding admissions requirements for this school. Information that grossly exaggerated this school's admission's requirements. Numerous readers contacted the school directly for verification. Obviously, this is potentially damaging due to the structure of the application process for Australian schools. For all practical purposes, you are limited to 2 schools which you must rank order. This false information was published multiple times on this site. Queensland may be saying, "Hey, don't read this garbage, come see our REAL requirements." The ad does seem to have disappeared now that it has been ridiculed.

spherical, maybe you shouldn't make claims about schools you know nothing about. And why do all the PITAs seem (claim) to be at USyd?

1) do tell me of all the applicants PMing YOU of all ppl, telling YOU of their contact with UQ (and of the supposed answers they got). Careful -- I'm contacted all the time by members who've been interested in applying.

2) i know the admissions ladies, do you? or even how many of them there are?

3) UQ has had ads here for years, this one was a redesign. It has not gone away, silly boy. I actually told them how I cringed when I saw their ad a couple years ago when applying, and this one was toned down.

Do you want to CONTINUE putting your foot in your mouth? Or do you get off on being outted?

-pitman

They grant the MBBS at U of Q, right?

sunnyjohn said:
They grant the MBBS at U of Q, right?

They did when I was there, but that was back when it was a 6 year course. I think it might be an MD since it changed to the post-grad 4 year course - not sure though.

Still MBBS as all the other med schools. Technically the post-grad courses are post-baccalaureate undergrad, but the MBBS is equivalent to the MD in every shape or form (there are some threads that discuss this).

The MBBS is fine with me.

I grew up largely outside the US in the UK system so it doesn't matter to me at all.

Off2Oz said:
Yep, that's why I'm such a pessimist =).

I'd rather get an MD in North America - I'd like to return to practice at home. Other than that, I have no reason not to head to Australia...

Either way, I'll hopefully be accepted to a program somewhere by this time next year.. =)

M.

Hey there!
I was just wondering if anybody knows how hard it is for a Canadian finishing at the University of Queensland to get back into a residency in Canada or the States.
Please let me know!!!

jessicarabbit said:
Hey there!
I was just wondering if anybody knows how hard it is for a Canadian finishing at the University of Queensland to get back into a residency in Canada or the States.
Please let me know!!!

I can't directly address your question.

A point of interest though: A google search could easily generate UQ medical graduates who are teaching at major American med schools. If the UQ programme isn't legitimate, what does it say about those American schools?