University of Queensland, School of Medicine Applications for 2010 intake - OPEN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OzTREKK

OzTREKK
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
G'day everyone,

I am posting this information for anyone who is interested in applying to the Medical program at the University of Queensland for the January 2010 intake.

Applications are now officially open to the UQ Medical program for the 2010 intake via OzTREKK.

For more information about the entry requirements, please visit: http://www.oztrekk.com/programs/medi...queensland.php

You can apply by visiting: http://oztrekk.com/programs/how/UQ_medicine.php

Visit the OzTREKK UQ Media Centre to watch the latest videos: http://www.oztrekk.com/programs/medi...slandmedia.php

If you have any questions about the information provided below and the process itself, please don't hesitate to contact Alison at any time: [email protected]

The University of Queensland will again this year use the "rolling admissions" process.

Admission for 2010 intake

- The application process has OPENED for the 2010 intake. All interested students can now submit their applications for the medical program at the University of Queensland to OzTREKK.

- Applications are being assessed by the School of Medicine at the University of Queensland commencing April 1, 2009.

- Applications are assessed on a rolling admissions basis from April 1, 2009 by the School of Medicine. Therefore, the sooner a student applies, the sooner his/her application will be assessed from April 1, 2009. Offers will be granted on a 'first come, first serve basis.' It is advised that students apply now so that their application is data processed and ready to be assessed on April 1, 2009.

- Only complete applications will be assessed by the School of Medicine from April 1, 2009. Students must submit a completed University of Queensland International Student Application for Undergraduate Studies Application Form, all post-secondary transcripts and your MCAT results. (To apply, please visit: http://www.oztrekk.com/programs/medi...queensland.php

- Applications and all transcripts and MCAT results are submitted directly to OzTREKK.

Entry Criteria for 2010 intake

Three components contribute to selection for admission:

1. Post-secondary GPA Requirement

- Performance in the most recently completed key degree. A key degree is a bachelor's degree, honours, master's degree (coursework or research) or a PhD. Applicants must meet a minimum grade point average to be eligible.

- For the 2010 intake, the minimum GPA will be 5.00 (on the 0-7 scale, where 4 is a pass).

- Your GPA is calculated for your most recently completed degree and averaged over the duration of your degree. For example, if your most recent completed degree is a Masters degree, then only the results from your Masters degree will be assessed. However, you will still need to submit your undergraduate transcript.

- If students have repeated a subject, then both marks will be calculated into the overall GPA.

2. North American Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) Result

- Applicants must meet a minimum level of achievement in the admissions test to be eligible. The minimum scores required for the MCAT, 8/8/8/M.

- Only MCAT results from sittings from 2007 to 2009 will be accepted.

- If you have completed the MCAT more than once, then your best MCAT results from the same sitting will be assessed.

- No deadline has been set for the final MCAT sitting eligible for assessment. However, students must be aware that only completed applications (including MCAT results) will be assessed. By sitting the MCAT sooner, you are potentially increasing your chances of places being available when your application is complete.

3. Consultation with a UQ School of Medicine Staff member

- Applicants who meet the GPA and MCAT requirements will be contacted by the School of Medicine to partake in a consultation.

- A senior academic from the School of Medicine will make contact with the applicant via telephone or in-person in Canada.

- No traditional interview questions will be asked. The aim of the consultation is to provide those who received an offer in to the program an opportunity to learn more about the UQ medical program and the School of Medicine and make sure that by accepting their offer it is the right decision.

- Applicants have the opportunity to ask questions of the senior academic member during the consultation.

Number of Places in the Program for 2010

- Total number of places - 430

- Total number of Australian domestic funded places - 300

- Total number of international full-fee paying places - 130

Annual Tuition Fee for International Students Commencing in 2010

- The 2010 tuition fee is $48,000 AUD per year

Application Fee
There is $0 AUD application fee to apply to the University of Queensland through OzTREKK. The University of Queensland does have a $100 AUD application fee, however, if you apply through OzTREKK, the University of Queensland waives the application fee.

How to Apply
Students who wish to apply to the Graduate Entry Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery program at the University of Queensland do so using one of the following three methods:

1. Apply Online:
http://oztrekk.com/programs/how/UQ_medicine.php
2. Download University of Queensland School of Medicine Paper Application form: http://oztrekk.com/programs/how/UQ_medicine.php
3. Request a University of Queensland, School of Medicine Information and Application Package: [email protected]

Contact Details
If you have any questions regarding the University of Queensland's medical program or the application process, please don't hesitate to contact the official University of Queensland representative in North America:

Alison Simser, Medical School Admissions Officer, OzTREKK educational services, Canada

E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 1 866 698 7355 (Toll free)
Website: http://www.oztrekk.com/programs/medi...queensland.php

Once again, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact Alison any time.

Cheers,

Matt
Matt Miernik
Director
OzTREKK - Your Canadian Connection to Study in Australia
A> 102 Sumac Lane
Perth, Ontario
K7H 3C7
P> 1 866 698 7355 ext. 202
Int'l> +1 613 267 4004 ext. 202
F> 1 866 698 7311
E> [email protected]
W> www.oztrekk.com
(Please note, US citizens and permanent residents have the option to apply to two streams of the medical program at UQ.
Stream 1: students apply to the four year medical program at UQ which sees them complete all four years of medical study in Brisbane. Students will have the option to complete clinical rotations overseas including the Ochsner hospital system in the US.
Stream 2: students apply to the 4 year medical program at UQ whereby they complete the first two years, which are pre-clinical, at UQ and then final two years at the Ochsner hospital system in the US. For further details, please contact [email protected])

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Matt,

Thanks for the info. I am interested in applying to the University of Queensland, but I am not taking the MCAT until May 22nd. Since the scores will not be released until late June, will I be at a significant disadvantage in applying for 2010?

G'day Fractals,

Thanks for your question.

It is actually quite difficult to say whether you will be at a disadvantage or not. The reason why I say this is that it all depends on how many students apply and have complete applications prior to your application being complete once your MCAT results are available in June.

As well, it also depends on the number of students who accept their offers. In 2007, those that applied in late June missed out for the 2008 intake. However, last year in 2008, I surely thought that those who would apply in late June would miss out as the program would have filled by that time. And in fact, some of those students who applied in July were successful.

So it is a difficult issue to advise you on as there are a number of factors at play. Based on last year, you will be fine as there were a number of students who applied in June and received offers. I can keep you updated in May and June as to how many students have received offers and how many have accepted.

What I would advise is for you to start preparing your application and submit it to me along with your transcripts when you are ready. Then once your MCAT results arrive, send through the verification code to me.

The earliest that your application will be complete is when your MCAT results are ready so I would concentrate on your MCAT sitting and doing well, as having your application complete in June is out of your control.

Wishing you all the best.

Cheers,

Matt

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Matt,

I have two questions for you. Theoretically speaking is it more favorable to apply to an australian medical school as an American or Canadian Citizen. My second question is I am planning on taking the MCAT in April and should have my scores out in May, but I am also enrolled in a post bacc program at an university in the middle east but my grades won't come out until late june should I hold off on my whole application until the port bacc grades come out or just apply with my undergraduate grades and MCAT score.

regards

I have a quick question. I had my degree and posgrdatuate diploma in architecture from University of Sheffield, UK. Been working and living in Australia for 5 years now (due citizenship in coming months). I'm in the process of getting my Architect's registration soon.

I am thinking of studying medicing (I should've done it after high school but changed my mind at last minute to architecture). The main factor is that this is the second time I experienced redundancy due to economic downturn (1998 and 2009) and I need to diversify before it's too late.

My friend said I still need to take GMAT test. I had my GCE 'A' Levels and also IELTS before studying in UK. Is this true?

Also, any advice for mature students like me thinking of taking undergraduate course in medicine?

Many thanks.

Zul

I have a quick question. I had my degree and posgrdatuate diploma in architecture from University of Sheffield, UK. Been working and living in Australia for 5 years now (due citizenship in coming months). I'm in the process of getting my Architect's registration soon.

I am thinking of studying medicing (I should've done it after high school but changed my mind at last minute to architecture). The main factor is that this is the second time I experienced redundancy due to economic downturn (1998 and 2009) and I need to diversify before it's too late.

My friend said I still need to take GMAT test. I had my GCE 'A' Levels and also IELTS before studying in UK. Is this true?

Also, any advice for mature students like me thinking of taking undergraduate course in medicine?

Many thanks.

Zul

As far as I know the GAMSAT is only required for the 4 year postgraduate courses. UMAT is required for the 5-6 year undergraduate courses.

Personally I'd rather take the UMAT then the GAMSAT as the UMAT is basically only an IQ test, compared to the GAMSAT which requires more serious study.

*Edit* As Shan pointed out the correct name of the test is the GAMSAT not GMAT

Last edited:
I think you might be confusing the GMAT with the GAMSAT.

Many thanks for that. Apologies for the confusion. I only took GCE 'A' Levels before studying in university in UK, so I was not aware of other pre-uni entry exams.
Thanks again.

Zul

I'm curious as to how many international applicants apply to this program (on average).

Hi Matt,
I already took the GAMSAT but I havent' taken the MCAT. Can I still apply to UQ through OZtrekk using GAMSAT score?
Thanks.

G'day Kash_711,

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

Regarding your questions, applying to the University of Queensland whether you're an American citizen or a Canadian citizen will not matter. Your chances of being accepted are just as strong regardless of your citizenship. That being said, as you are a dual citizen you have the option to either apply to the regular four year medical program at UQ which is in Brisbane for the entire four years. Or you have the option to apply to the UQ-Ochsner program as an American citizen which enables you to complete the first two years in Brisbane at the UQ, and then the final two years of clinical rotations are completed at Ochsner Health Systems in the U.S.

Now, regarding you having completed your first degree and now undertaking post-bac studies, since you already have completed an undergraduate degree and as long as it was completed within the last 10 years, you can go ahead and apply now. As the minimum requirement is that you hold an undergraduate degree to be assessed.

Once again, I apologise for the delay in getting back to you. If you have any questions, you can also e-mail me directly at [email protected].

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Matt

G'day zultaurus,

Thanks for your post and I apologise for the delay in replying.

Now, you mentioned that you have been working in Australia for five years and your citizenship is coming up soon. Would that mean that you are currently an Australian permanent resident?

If you are an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen you must apply as an Australian domestic student. You cannot apply as an international student. This mean that you MUST sit the GAMSAT. If you have completed the MCAT, your MCAT score(s) will not be assessed or considered. All domestic Australian applicants (you will be considered as one if you have Australian P.R. or citizenship) must apply via ACER and must complete the GAMSAT. There are no other examinations that you need to complete.

Hope that this helps and Good Luck with your application!

Cheers,

Matt

G'day Greywind,

How are you?

On average, there are around 200+ applications from international students. The number has been increasing over the past few years.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Matt

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Matt,
I already took the GAMSAT but I havent' taken the MCAT. Can I still apply to UQ through OZtrekk using GAMSAT score?
Thanks.

G'day AcerExtensa,

Thanks for your question. Yes, you can most definitely apply via OzTREKK with your GAMSAT score. You will apply via OzTREKK in the usual way by submitting your UQ application form and transcripts and then you will need to send through a copy of your GAMSAT score with your GAMSAT I.D. to our office. This way we can verify your GAMSAT results.

Alison, the OzTREKK - UQ Medical Admissions Officer will send you a confirmation once all your documents arrive. Your documents are then electronically submitted to UQ, so they are in Brisbane the next day.

If you have any questions, you can also contact me directly by e-mailing me at [email protected].

Hope you are well.

Cheers,

Matt

Hello All,

I just wanted to share my thoughts and give you guys the 411 on UQ.

As of 2010, UQ will NOT offer a rural placement to international students. Thats right - so your 45K will not even get you a core rural rotation - which is required to practice. Instead they will offer you a fake "community based" rotation or leave it up to you to arrange your own somewhere else.

Also, if you are applying and thinking you will stay in Qld "worse comes to worse" it wont happen. There will not be any international intern spots left since the government is NOT increasing intern positions. They are only guranteeing them to domestic students and NOT international students.

If I knew what I know now, I would have not come to UQ.

Actually the government has been increasing intern positions. At least at most of the states have. But whether it will be enough to get international students jobs I don't think anyone will know.

Last edited:
Actually the government has been increasing intern positions. Zt least at most of the states have. But whether it will be enough to get international students jobs I don't think anyone will know.

So is this true of all Australian med. schools? Why offer 100+ international spots for students if there's no intention of retaining any of them in after they graduate?

Hello All,

As of 2010, UQ will NOT offer a rural placement to international students. Thats right - so your 45K will not even get you a core rural rotation - which is required to practice. Instead they will offer you a fake "community based" rotation or leave it up to you to arrange your own somewhere else.

Also, if you are applying and thinking you will stay in Qld "worse comes to worse" it wont happen. There will not be any international intern spots left since the government is NOT increasing intern positions. They are only guranteeing them to domestic students and NOT international students.

Are you saying you would not choose to come to UQ or Australian med schools altogether? Then, what other options do you think are better?

Hello All,

Hm. First, you'll be getting a UQ degree. If there is an intern spot for you, then you will not be disqualified because you didn't do the traditional rural rotation (the requirement is for domestics only, probably tied up politically with the HECS scheme -- if you have any doubts, consider all the IMGs in Australia who are nonetheless allowed to practice).

Second, int'l students have never been guaranteed internship. If you didn't know that, then that's unfortunate, but you should have.

Third, spots have been and will continue to increase in Qld. To date, int'l students have had no problems getting internship, but that will surely change, at some point. This too has been known for many years, though it's actually coming a lot later than anyone thought it would (search these forums going at least as far back as 2003).

Last edited:
We will be hearing from UQ soon it seems. I wonder if we can get a resolution on the internship spots issues in a timely manner so we can make a decision were we to be accepted..

I wonder if we can get a resolution on the internship spots issues in a timely manner so we can make a decision were we to be accepted..

Don't hold your breath.

I'm just curious but what sort of resolution are you looking for?

Hopefully the Australian health minister coming on the forums and telling us they will be opening many many new internship spots for internationals :rolleyes:.. but no seriously.. it's just that i saw some positive topics here lately and i don't know why i got the vibe that they might indeed add more spots.. so is this really happening? does it apply to Queensland? those sort of questions/ news

No one can predict the future. In the past, they've added new internship spots, and they really don't need to add anymore until the time comes (so 3-4 years from now)

There is no guarntee for anyone.

No one can predict the future. In the past, they've added new internship spots, and they really don't need to add anymore until the time comes (so 3-4 years from now)

There is no guarntee for anyone.

Statistically speaking Queensland and NSW will be worse off then the other states because they're going to have the highest number of graduates.