University of Queensland - Info Sessions in Canada - Feb 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OzTREKK

OzTREKK
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
G'day everyone,

How are you all?

Just wanted to let those of you in Canada know that Mr. David Bunyan, from the University of Queensland, will be visiting a number of cities across Canada from February 1, 2010 to February 8, 2010 and hosting information sessions for those interested in learning more about the University of Queensland and its medical program.

I will also be at the information sessions to answer questions about accreditation and licensing, student financing, applying to an Australian student visa, accommodation, etc.

Below is the schedule of the University of Queensland visit to Canada:

British Columbia
Monday, February 1, 2010
Event: University of British Columbia Information Session
Time: 5 p.m.
Venue: Room 205, Student Union Building, UBC

Alberta
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Event: Calgary Information Session
Time: 6 p.m.
Venue: Mount Royal Room, Marriott Calgary, 110-9th Ave. SE, Calgary

Quebec
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Event: McGill University Information Session
Venue: Room 2-36, Strathcona Anatomy & Dentistry Building, McGill University

Ontario
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Event: Queen's University Information Session
Venue: John Orr Room, Room 236, JDUC, Queen's University

Monday, February 8, 2010
Event: Toronto Information Session
Time: 6 p.m.
Venue: Debates Room, Hart House, University of Toronto

If you are outside of one of the above locations, or you cannot make it, David Bunyan will also be hosting a live webcast from the OzTREKK office on Friday, February 5, 2010. Below are the details of the live webcast:

Live Webcast Information Session
Date: Friday, February 5, 2010
Time: 2 p.m. (B.C. Time), 3 p.m. (Alberta time), 5 p.m. (Ontario & Quebec time), 6 p.m. (Maritimes) & 6.30pm (NFLD)

If you have any questions, you can contact me at any time.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt Miernik
Director
OzTREKK
A> 102 Sumac Lane
Perth, Ontario
K7H 3C7
P> 1 866 698 7355 ext. 202
Int'l> +1 613 267 4004 ext. 202
F> 1 866 698 7311
E> [email protected]
W> www.oztrekk.com

Members don't see this ad.

Just to make sure, does UQ look at your past mcat scores if you have taken mcat more than once? :confused:

Nopers

24+ (min of 8/8/8/M) and you will likely get an offer. You can write it as much as you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nopers

24+ (min of 8/8/8/M) and you will likely get an offer. You can write it as much as you want.

Thanks a lot for the response :). If I write the MCAT in May and apply after the score is released, will it be too late for the 2011 admission round?

Last edited:
That I'm not sure of. It may be possible that they will be accepting applications that late, but it may also be possible that they will have a full class (personally, I don't see this being too likely). It doesn't hurt to try, but if I were you, I'd try to take a March/April MCAT if that is possible.

Regardless, UQ also has some issues I'd check out (forum search is your friend) before deciding on it.

That I'm not sure of. It may be possible that they will be accepting applications that late, but it may also be possible that they will have a full class (personally, I don't see this being too likely). It doesn't hurt to try, but if I were you, I'd try to take a March/April MCAT if that is possible.

Regardless, UQ also has some issues I'd check out (forum search is your friend) before deciding on it.

I browse this forum from time to time so I'm sort of aware of the issues...thanks a lot for the insight Transition :)

I browse this forum from time to time so I'm sort of aware of the issues...thanks a lot for the insight Transition

Yeah those issues have been stated before; I'm sure you already know them. I'll briefly summarize them from what I've heard - there are literally half a hundred or more students per class. That's 4~5 times the average medical school class size. Which means it's 5 people per 1 resource against 1 person against 1 resource. It's difficult for the faculty to take care of every single student because the class size is way too large. And remember, low entrance scores plus no interview means lower standard of entry and poorer quality. You may want to check out those two points.

Regardless, there's also one thing you should know: Because interviews have been cancelled from 2008 or 2009, I forgot which year, but it's recent, english profiency assessments are required, unless you graduated from an english taught university like in countries such as Canada, US, England, etc. Doesn't matter if your first language is english, if you didn't complete your undergraduate studies in a university where courses are taught in English, you MUST take the IELTS (Academic) before being considered for entry. Don't know why; it's weird in my opinion.

Flinders and Univ. Sydney (probably most universities as well) don't require this at the moment, they think the MCAT and the interview already serves the purpose of english assessment. And all schools require that your MCAT for submission and consideration must be taken 2 years or less prior to application.

Don't get me wrong, UQ is a top school in Australia and like U syd, U melb, ANU are world class universities with world rankings in the top 100 of many lists. The city is great with a vast amount of resources, but remember, too many medical students means more students paired up against one resource. That applies for future internship positions. Too many students and too little positions (because there are too little senior doctors to train them - UQ didn't always have this big of a class size). And local students will fill the internship spot first before going to internationals. In states like Queensland, NSW, and possibly Victoria, it will be extremely difficult to get an internship spot. When I say difficult, it's difficult, believe me. Which means you need to be very competitive. Don't just aim for a 24M, you'll be one of the dead last students - do you think you can get an internship by being dead last? Aim for 27~30 at least to be safe.

And don't just go for UQ. Try other schools, too. Read about other medical schools in Australia and if UQ really is the one you want, then I wish you the best of look. Just keep in mind what I said and stay competitive. It's a large class out there in UQ and you don't want to be in the back of the class.

Yeah those issues have been stated before; I'm sure you already know them. I'll briefly summarize them from what I've heard - there are literally half a hundred or more students per class. That's 4~5 times the average medical school class size. Which means it's 5 people per 1 resource against 1 person against 1 resource. It's difficult for the faculty to take care of every single student because the class size is way too large. And remember, low entrance scores plus no interview means lower standard of entry and poorer quality. You may want to check out those two points.

Regardless, there's also one thing you should know: Because interviews have been cancelled from 2008 or 2009, I forgot which year, but it's recent, english profiency assessments are required, unless you graduated from an english taught university like in countries such as Canada, US, England, etc. Doesn't matter if your first language is english, if you didn't complete your undergraduate studies in a university where courses are taught in English, you MUST take the IELTS (Academic) before being considered for entry. Don't know why; it's weird in my opinion.

Flinders and Univ. Sydney (probably most universities as well) don't require this at the moment, they think the MCAT and the interview already serves the purpose of english assessment. And all schools require that your MCAT for submission and consideration must be taken 2 years or less prior to application.

Don't get me wrong, UQ is a top school in Australia and like U syd, U melb, ANU are world class universities with world rankings in the top 100 of many lists. The city is great with a vast amount of resources, but remember, too many medical students means more students paired up against one resource. That applies for future internship positions. Too many students and too little positions (because there are too little senior doctors to train them - UQ didn't always have this big of a class size). And local students will fill the internship spot first before going to internationals. In states like Queensland, NSW, and possibly Victoria, it will be extremely difficult to get an internship spot. When I say difficult, it's difficult, believe me. Which means you need to be very competitive. Don't just aim for a 24M, you'll be one of the dead last students - do you think you can get an internship by being dead last? Aim for 27~30 at least to be safe.

And don't just go for UQ. Try other schools, too. Read about other medical schools in Australia and if UQ really is the one you want, then I wish you the best of look. Just keep in mind what I said and stay competitive. It's a large class out there in UQ and you don't want to be in the back of the class.

Thank you so much for the info ! :) I have taken MCAT once (I winged it, ended up with a 22) and plan to take it again (will study hard this time). The class size is daunting indeed; and the situation will be disastrous if the whole thing doesn't work out, but maybe the government will do something about it ? Why would a world class school like uq take students with such low scores ? I didn't realize that the MCAT score would affect internship placement though.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that the MCAT score would affect internship placement though.

It won't.

And being dead last on a North American test will have no effect on whether or not you are competitive for internship or not.

I didn't realize that the MCAT score would affect internship placement though.

That wasn't what I meant. I meant that you should score a higher MCAT so you will be in the more competitive 1/3 of the class. It's for your own references: that's what I meant. Generally (although not always), your academic performance will be reflected by your MCAT. People who have higher scores on tests generally perform better in school. That's why there are tests - to assess what you've learned and test your sense of logic. Pull your weight and get a decent MCAT score so you can have solid basics in the sciences and you'll do better in medical school in general, so you can have higher chances of placement.

I do believe that internship placement does have to do with your medical school performance and after that, your CV and ECs.

*Note that upon entering medical school, you still need extracurricular activities.

Let me clarify a few things:

No state bar SA asks for your transcript. Even then SA only asks for your final two years, and that in most schools is an ungraded pass/fail.

You could be the bottom 1/3 of your class and still get a better job then the straight HD guy/girl in your class because of your CV and personal statement.

In Oz, there is no standardized test, no exams to worry about, just your communication skills and your CV to land a good job. So don't let a test tell you what jobs you are going to/not going to get.

I've been asked to help with hiring a registrar before and to be honest I didn't care about academic performance. To me it was more about their ability to communicate and how hard working they were. I didn't even call their references, I called their hospital and asked people they didn't put on their reference list what they thought about them; you get a more honest opinion that way.

Let me clarify a few things:

No state bar SA asks for your transcript. Even then SA only asks for your final two years, and that in most schools is an ungraded pass/fail.

You could be the bottom 1/3 of your class and still get a better job then the straight HD guy/girl in your class because of your CV and personal statement.

In Oz, there is no standardized test, no exams to worry about, just your communication skills and your CV to land a good job. So don't let a test tell you what jobs you are going to/not going to get.

I've been asked to help with hiring a registrar before and to be honest I didn't care about academic performance. To me it was more about their ability to communicate and how hard working they were. I didn't even call their references, I called their hospital and asked people they didn't put on their reference list what they thought about them; you get a more honest opinion that way.

Wait, so... but there's a medical tsunami in Australia, and the worst hit is Brisbane, Sydney, etc. I think you've heard of it, once being an admissions officer and all - that there are too many medical graduates and too few internship spots. And local students get preference first over internationals, which means not every international student will get an internship position. And I assumed it would be academic performance or tests that separate the students.

Hmm.... I stand corrected: I guess I just assumed academic performance will affect your placement, but then again, many Australian medical schools use a pass/fail grading system, so many people will have all-pass and there aren't numerical or scale systems to differentiate between high or low pass (except for honors, probably). But I think admission officers still won't want anyone who failed over half his or her subjects.

And now a question probably even I want to ask: if grades aren't that important of a factor for internship consideration, what else can you do to make sure you can get an internship position? How do you, as an admissions officer, know who to offer interviews for, if you offer interviews and don't have academic cutoffs?

Wow, this is way different from what I thought it was. My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

And now a question probably even I want to ask: if grades aren't that important of a factor for internship consideration, what else can you do to make sure you can get an internship position? How do you, as an admissions officer, know who to offer interviews for, if you offer interviews and don't have academic cutoffs?

Wow, this is way different from what I thought it was. My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

http://www.medinoz.com/2010/01/21/the-tsunami-is-coming/

Everything you need to know to get a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I assumed it would be academic performance or tests that separate the students.

What academic performance? Most schools have ungraded pass/fails.

What tests? No USMLE type tests exist for local students. Only the AMC exists for Overseas doctors and at the moment a pass is more important then your quantitative score.

Intern jobs = no interviews

RMO, Registrar and Consultant jobs = interviews

OH!!! So you're THEDOCTOR in that website. I always wondered who posted there aside from Ani (aka Transition here).

Damn, it's a long way to become a real doctor: first medical school, then internship, and then specialty colleges - by the time we become consultants making the big bucks, we'll be at least 50 years old (in the 30s or 40s actually, but same thing). I hope there isn't anything else after specialty colleges?

I think I need to worry about getting into medical school in Aussie first. If the Honors Degree isn't so important, then what is it for?

I think I need to worry about getting into medical school in Aussie first. If the Honors Degree isn't so important, then what is it for?

Might help with some specialty training programs, but other then that just more credentials to put after your name.

Thank you so much for the info Raigon and Redshifteffect! :)

Nopers

I disagree with this. The 8/8/8/M is not new, and for the years I know for sure about (granted, a few years old), many more 24s were rejected than accepted. It is true that they don't care about old test scores though.

And remember, low entrance scores plus no interview means lower standard of entry and poorer quality.

No, that logic is faulty.

1) Low absolute cutoff does not imply lower standard (or even lower mean score of those accepted). If it did imply lower standard, then most American schools would be on the bottom since they don't tend to have official cutoffs.

When I was privvy to UQ data (same 8/8/8/M "cutoff"), the mean score was 28. The interesting thing about the stats has been that the *variance* is very large compared to your typical N. American school -- some 24s, some high-30s, and a median close to the mean.

Now the average entry score *may* have dropped with increased class size in the past couple years, but it may also have increased with increased awareness/marketing of the program, along with increased popularity of Australian schools in general, and depending also on how many *additional* candidates the school is attracting by having the Oschsner program (which one could lump in with the aforementioned marketing increases).

Anyone who asserts that the standard has gone down merely because interviews have been scrapped and because they've heard some ancedotes on the forums don't, frankly, know what they're talking about.

2) No interview merely means MCAT and GPA count more. If you believe the research done on the topic, not having an interview makes no difference on school performance.

Keep in mind, an MCAT cutoff means you can't apply, not that if you have the minimum you're a shoe-in. UQ may also be moving towards a model of having GPA count most (was discussed, not sure of status but will look into this), so it's pretty much impossible to gauge the current standards of the school, even for a former insider like me.

Last edited:
No, that logic is faulty.

1) Low absolute cutoff does not imply lower standard (or even lower mean score of those accepted). When I was privvy to the data (same 8/8/8/M "cutoff"), the mean score was 28. The interesting thing about the stats has been that the *variance* is very large compared to your typical N. American school -- some 24s, some high-30s, and a median close to the mean.

Now the average entry score *may* have dropped with increased class size in the past couple years, but it may also have increased with increased awareness/marketing of the program, along with increased popularity of Australian schools in general, and depending also on how many *additional* candidates the school is attracting by having the Oschsner program (which one could lump in with the aforementioned marketing increases).

Anyone who asserts that the standard has gone down merely because interviews have been scrapped and because they've heard some ancedotes on the forums don't, frankly, know what they're talking about.

2) No interview merely means MCAT and GPA count more. If you believe the research done on the topic, not having an interview makes no difference on school performance.

Keep in mind, an MCAT cutoff means you can't apply, not that if you have the minimum you're a shoe-in. UQ is also moving towards a model of having GPA count most, so it's pretty much impossible to gauge the current standards of the school, even for a former insider like me.

I didn't mean to imply that UQ is bad. UQ is a great school and world class, too. They also have great resources and curriculums.

I do, however, disagree with is taking away the interviews. I don't actually see the point in doing that ==". Interviews are a standard part of medical school entry and without it, no matter how I see it, will at least lower student quality, because interviews are a classic screening procedure. And I've seen the ACER guide to medical schools and paging dr boards and even asked their admissions officer: last year and most likely this year, they will only look at GAMSAT/MCAT scores only for admission consideration as long as you meet the GPA hurdles: 5.0/7.0 GPA or 2.8/4.0 GPA.

And yes, the class size is horrendously large. That means more students per unit resource.

And the reason why those two are mentioned more than anything else is... well, probably because they ARE UQ's biggest problems. I'm not complaining about anything else, but those two problems are enough to make most people reconsider, as I may wish to apply for internship in Australia rather than return to the states if I like it there in Australia, but the class size doesn't exactly help, if you know, and probably do, about the medical tsunami, and especially for future internationals like me.

We don't exactly know if the marketing was successful (I hope it is, to tell you the truth, because it'll increase the quality of applicants by some means as you said). From what I've seen on UQ's site, the New Ochsner program for 2010 is still looking for applicants, and I think the semester for 2010 either started or is about to start.

http://www2.som.uq.edu.au/som/Futur...Students/HowDoIApply/Pages/GraduateEntry.aspx

Yes, they are still accepting applicants. I'm not sure if it's because it's still a new program and not yet AMC accredited or that it's pretty damn expensive, but if it's not yet filled, that means they're going to lower entry standards so they can get more people in. It's a basic supply and demand concept; if the supply is high and demand low, then lower costs to drive up demand.

But UQ still is, as I've stated, an outstanding school. Please do not mistake my comments for an attack on UQ. For anyone who wishes to consider medical school in Australia, I definitely do recommend UQ, because I know UQ is a world class school with a great name and excellent facilities, faculties, and resources. And the new program, if it weren't for the cost, would be great for US citizens.

And I've asked medepath - the curriculum for the New Ochsner is USMLE oriented and they will cover USMLE material.

TAKE THAT CARIBBEAN MEDS.

And I've asked medepath - the curriculum for the New Ochsner is USMLE oriented and they will cover USMLE material.

How exactly did you phrase the question? During the webcast info session my conversation near verbatim was...

Me: Will the UQ-Ochsner program provide any additional resources to prepare students for the USMLE?
OzTREKK: No additional resources will be provided, but if you look our previous exam statistics, pass rates and scores have been very high.

Other posts have suggested few students report their scores, and that the high averages are in large part due to the dedicated, extra-curricular study of only a handful of students. The answer that the program curriculum will cover USMLE material is open to interpretation--most medical school programs generally cover stuff like microbiology, biochemistry, pathology, etc. I would want to know specifically if they plan on giving students extra material or practice exams, such as Ross's "comp" practice exam for Step 1.

However, your answer also states that the program will be USMLE oriented, which is positive. Also, medpath probably knows more about the details of the program. I've emailed them myself and am waiting for a reply. Program still sounds great and good luck applying.

How exactly did you phrase the question? During the webcast info session my conversation near verbatim was...

Me: Will the UQ-Ochsner program provide any additional resources to prepare students for the USMLE?
OzTREKK: No additional resources will be provided, but if you look our previous exam statistics, pass rates and scores have been very high.

Other posts have suggested few students report their scores, and that the high averages are in large part due to the dedicated, extra-curricular study of only a handful of students. The answer that the program curriculum will cover USMLE material is open to interpretation--most medical school programs generally cover stuff like microbiology, biochemistry, pathology, etc. I would want to know specifically if they plan on giving students extra material or practice exams, such as Ross's "comp" practice exam for Step 1.

However, your answer also states that the program will be USMLE oriented, which is positive. Also, medpath probably knows more about the details of the program. I've emailed them myself and am waiting for a reply. Program still sounds great and good luck applying.

Quote Thea Volpe, one of the directors of the programs:

I asked about the costs and what benefits we will get if we pay that much.

"THE UQ-OCHSNER PROGRAM IS UNIQUE IN THAT IT ALLOWS YOU TO RETURN TO THE UNITED STATES FOR YOUR CLINICAL ROTATIONS IN THE THIRD AND FOURTH YEARS. ADDITIONALLY, WE PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR YOU TO PREPARE TO TAKE THE USMLE'S STEP ONE EXAM. THE TUITION DIFFERENTIAL REFLECTS THE COSTS ATTENDANT TO THIS SPECIFIC PROGRAM."

I asked what kind of support we receive for our USMLE and the Match:

"Regarding the support students receive for the USMLE's and the Match, for the Step 1 exam there will be a USMLE prep course at Queensland, just as there are at US medical schools and the UQ curriculum will prepare you to pass the USMLE step 1 exams. We expect our students to form study groups, again as happens in the US, should they chose, in addition to the test prep we will provide."

Not bad eh? Then again, 65K a year... that does seem a bit much, doesn't it? That's 250k in debt in tuition alone. I shudder to think what will happen if I add in living expenses... 300K??? 350K??? That'll be like paying off a house mortage =/.

If doing your third and forth year electives in the US is such a big thing for you then why go all the way across the globe to Australia if you can do it in the carib? and it will be cheaper and a more trusted route. I understand this new UQ program is new? did you get a chance to evaluate their hospital associations vs. that of SGU?
I'm just not really convinced that Australia is the place to go if you wanna come back to the US

If doing your third and forth year electives in the US is such a big thing for you then why go all the way across the globe to Australia if you can do it in the carib? and it will be cheaper and a more trusted route. I understand this new UQ program is new? did you get a chance to evaluate their hospital associations vs. that of SGU?
I'm just not really convinced that Australia is the place to go if you wanna come back to the US

As i said before again and again and again - I'm not necessarily planning to go back to the US. If you're that desperate on going back to the US, choose the Caribbean route if you think that's good.

I've already posted my thoughts on the Caribbean vs. International Thread. I'm sick of posting why I like the international route better as I've already shared my thoughts. I've already said it a hundred times - I chose it because it's best for me. Whatever is best for you, you decide for yourself. I'm not your advisor.

I like the reputation better, the training better, and I like the international experience. If I can go back to the US, then great. If not, then Australia's not bad either. That's the reason I selected Australia - not necessarily to return to the US, but because I like it. And you cannot deny that UQ is a world class university (ranked 44th in the world). I'm just offering a new option against the Caribbean route.

But as I've said. I like Australia and defend it, because I think it's better. In fact, most people here will defend it, hence the Australian thread. You defend the Caribbean because you like it better. Okay, I respect you for it. Sometimes at an end, there's no objective way to compare it anymore, it's only a matter of opinion. If you like the Caribbean better, then go for it. I don't care what you choose - only you know what's best for you.

Last edited:
I do, however, disagree with is taking away the interviews. I don't actually see the point in doing that ==". Interviews are a standard part of medical school entry and without it, no matter how I see it, will at least lower student quality, because interviews are a classic screening procedure.

But Raigon, assuming 'no interview' => 'lower quality' merely because interviews are standard practice, is like saying that thousands of Chinese herbal medicines must work because they've been used for thousands of years (er, except under Mao, when their use was discouraged).

Research supports the notion that interviews don't increase student quality.

And I've seen the ACER guide to medical schools and paging dr boards and even asked their admissions officer: last year and most likely this year, they will only look at GAMSAT/MCAT scores only for admission consideration as long as you meet the GPA hurdles: 5.0/7.0 GPA or 2.8/4.0 GPA.

As I've stated, a cutoff for consideration does not imply lower acceptance stat. The school is saying, if you don't meet the hurdle, don't bother applying. It is not saying that if you meet the hurdle, you're in.

Moreover, if interviews were a further criterion for acceptance, then one would expect a *lower* average acceptance GPA +/- MCAT than without having them. Meanwhile, *with* the interview a few years ago, the MCAT average was 28 -- not awesome, but respectable.

The question can be boiled down to whether interviews have some added value in measuring something that MCAT and GPA do not, something which is impossible to standardize, and which the evidence I've seen says apparently doesn't exist.

At the very least, the value of interviews is contentious, not assumed. One can decide to ignore the evidence saying that interviews don't help produce better outcomes, but at the very least one ought to be skeptical of any entrenched view.

And yes, the class size is horrendously large. That means more students per unit resource.

The fallacy there is in the implication that resources are a constant. More students also means more money, which is a big part of the point for having larger sizes. I do think that the school is stretched for admin purposes, but as the school has increased, so have the number of locations, and campuses, along with the increased revenue allowing them to happen. So while I agree that increased size does have some issues (quite specific ones I've *seen*, not inferred by numbers), and might result in other issues, one cannot infer that increased size dictates a general decrease in resources per student, just as it doesn't imply (though certainly *could* result in) a decrease in student quality.

From what I've seen on UQ's site, the New Ochsner program for 2010 is still looking for applicants, and I think the semester for 2010 either started or is about to start.

I don't think you're reading the site correctly. It says that the applications for all int'l students (for 2010 UQ Med) have indeed closed, but that students can still apply to Oschsner. Oschsner was created for years 3 and 4, so it makes perfect sense that there'd still be spots left -- the students they're now seeking for the 1st Oschsner cohort are *already* part of the medical program, thus not implying any additional market pressure to decrease standards.

Now don't get me wrong, Raigon. To repeat what I've long said, I think UQ has some issues to work out as it continues to grow. However, some of the inferences being made, particularly by outsiders, are not fair ones. They are similar to ones that people on these forums have made for many years about many schools, shaping people's attitudes but which pan out not to be true, in no small part because of a tendency to uncritically accept faulty reasoning. So I apologize for taking you to task, because what you argue reflects honest concerns, but the assertions just don't ring true to me and what I've seen and been privvy to as a very active former int'l student, school rep, and member of academic boards.

Last edited:
But Raigon, assuming 'no interview' => 'lower quality' merely because interviews are standard practice, is like saying that thousands of Chinese herbal medicines must work because they've been used for thousands of years (er, except under Mao, when their use was discouraged).

Research supports the notion that interviews don't increase student quality.

Hmm... I guess I never looked at it that way. I don't like interviews, never have, but I guess I just assumed that because interviews are used world-wide for university and special school admissions (except the majority of Asian countries like Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, China, Korea, etc where test scores determine your university and major), that interviews, tests are important for selection.

Chinese herbal medicine could work, or it could not - that has to be determined by researchers, dissecting each and every one and running experiments. I guess it could be the same with interviews: Whether interviews work or not, I guess I could not argue with evidence right now, because there are very little research comparing them. I'll leave that up to others to determine.

As I've stated, a cutoff for consideration does not imply lower acceptance stat. The school is saying, if you don't meet the hurdle, don't bother applying. It is not saying that if you meet the hurdle, you're in.

Moreover, if interviews were a further criterion for acceptance, then one would expect a *lower* average acceptance GPA +/- MCAT than without having them. Meanwhile, *with* the interview a few years ago, the MCAT average was 28 -- not awesome, but respectable.

The question can be boiled down to whether interviews have some added value in measuring something that MCAT and GPA do not, something which is impossible to standardize, and which the evidence I've seen says apparently doesn't exist.

At the very least, the value of interviews is contentious, not assumed. One can decide to ignore the evidence saying that interviews don't help produce better outcomes, but at the very least one ought to be skeptical of any entrenched view.

Well, this may be the part where I wish to strongly argue - the part about using only test scores. I was knocked out of medical school in Taiwan because I didn't complete my education there, but my college entrance test scores (for students in Taiwan, medical schools are undergrad combined courses only) were literally 0.8 points away from getting in out of a score of 600 (432.5 was my score the medical school cutoff that year in 2006 was 433.3: which is basically something around a 38 MCAT score) - so even if I did complete my education there, I was 0.8 points off. You are ranked according to test scores only and you then fill out your desired school and major and your scores determine where you land, the cutoffs are different each and every year depending on the difficulty of the test and student quality.

Medical schools in Taiwan are the highest scoring major and almost impossible to attain. Out of 100,000 test takers a year, there are less than 1000 total medical school places nation-wide. It's literally less than 1%. That means the majority of people in medical school will pick the medical school because they can; otherwise it'll go to waste. Next will be law and electric engineering.

Surveys in our school show (I would post the link, but assuming you guys can't read chinese, I'm not sure it's fitting) that 2/3 of the doctors don't like their job in our country: they were pressured by parents or they were pressured by their scores. We want the best deal for the best price. Picking, say, forestry or art as a major with a score of say, 540 (which would be the top 3 scores in the country, always), will not fill it out as their first rank even if it's because they don't want their scores to go to waste. They think it's like paying 600 dollar for a 400 dollar product; not worth it. It leads to a very wrong sense of thinking. We have outstanding doctors in our country (well, the highest-scoring), with only 1/3 of the doctors actually wanting to be a doctor. And there will be those who want to become doctors getting shot down because they are a few points off. And there are also those who had bad luck and forced to retake, but sometimes taking the test once already drains a lot of stamina, and retaking will not boost scores.

Solely using test scores and academic performance should not be used alone. We need to look at other things as well, such as extracurricular experience, leadership qualities, etc. Test scores and academic are quantitative, but there should always be the same amount of qualitative assessments, even if it means interviews, essays, or filling out other experiences to waive your test score.

I think Queensland needs that qualitative assessment. I'm sorry if I'm being biased because I feel so strong about this, but I'm posting this out of personal experience from Taiwan. I don't want there to be people "almost" making it to medical school. Those who "almost" and by only a point or two off should be reconsidered and given another means of being in. Because if you didn't make it to medical school because say, the cutoff was 28 and your MCAT was 27 would really, really suck.

Maybe the interview serves that purpose, maybe not. But if not interviews, then at least there should be a means of qualitative assessment. And many other universities in Australia do give consideration to those who almost, but didnt meet the cutoff if they have another quality that is readily accessible and can overpower that cutoff score.

The fallacy there is in the implication that resources are a constant. More students also means more money, which is a big part of the point for having larger sizes. I do think that the school is stretched for admin purposes, but as the school has increased, so have the number of locations, and campuses, along with the increased revenue allowing them to happen. So while I agree that increased size does have some issues (quite specific ones I've *seen*, not inferred by numbers), and might result in other issues, one cannot infer that increased size dictates a general decrease in resources per student, just as it doesn't imply (though certainly *could* result in) a decrease in student quality.

Medical tsunami: increasing the class size no matter how you look at it, will make getting internships harder, especially if there are only a limited number of intern spots available with an explosive increase of students, then the number of resource increase can't keep up with the number of student increase. It makes it harder for us internationals. If other kinds of resources are available, then that's good and they are willing to match resource to students, then all is good. I'm hoping it to be that way, because I will choose UQ over Caribbean med and I want UQ to maintain its world class quality.

I don't think you're reading the site correctly. It says that the applications for all int'l students (for 2010 UQ Med) have indeed closed, but that students can still apply to Oschsner. Oschsner was created for years 3 and 4, so it makes perfect sense that there'd still be spots left -- the students they're now seeking for the 1st Oschsner cohort are *already* part of the medical program, thus not implying any additional market pressure to decrease standards.

Hmm... I emailed mededpath last week and they're telling me that if I want to apply for 2010 New Ochsner entry, then I should hurry because it's closing, but it's still available until about 2~3 weeks after the first day of school. But they were maybe made for years 3~4 as well. :confused:

Now don't get me wrong, Raigon. To repeat what I've long said, I think UQ has some issues to work out as it continues to grow. However, some of the inferences being made, particularly by outsiders, are not fair ones. They are similar to ones that people on these forums have made for many years about many schools, shaping people's attitudes but which pan out not to be true, in no small part because of a tendency to uncritically accept faulty reasoning. So I apologize for taking you to task, because what you argue reflects honest concerns, but the assertions just don't ring true to me and what I've seen and been privvy to as a very active former int'l student, school rep, and member of academic boards.

My apologies for making it seem that way, because sometimes from personal experience, there are a few things I feel strong about. Maybe I'm biased on it, if I am, I'm sorry in advance.

My university, the National Taiwan University has been accepting way too many students to the point that there are 200 people per major or more. Electronics has 400. We have a total of 10,000 undergraduates a year entering the school, as opposed to the 2000 or 3000 back in the 1990s. NTU is the top school in Taiwan, the hardest to get in, but 10% of the country could get in because we've been accepting too many students. Our classes, even the humanities and electives, have hundreds of people a class and I've seen people falling behind because there aren't enough TAs to cover them, and the percentage of people failing courses are increasing because our resources can't keep up with the increasing number of students enrolling in our school.

And thus, for many of the licensing exams, jobs, interviews (we have interviews for jobs, just not for universites, what's with that? =/) etc, we've been assailed by the news for the constant decrease in 1st attempt job or graduate school success rate.

***NEWS FLASH: NTU IS NO LONGER NUMBER 1 AND IS BEING BEATEN BY LOW CLASS UNIVERSITIES SUCH AS...***

Our students couldn't take it of course and we've reacted. We definitely did. And so there was a society formed called the "fake-test takers" who are skilled test takers in our school and take the college entrance exams, apply for our schools, then withdraw after the 2nd round (we have two rounds, sort of like a ranked waiting list to fill in spots the first round didn't fill in, and after 2 rounds, the school must accept the students, even if it's not filled out). There were hundreds to possibly over 1000 places in NTU taken by our own and current students who are already enrolled. It was big news so it worked for about 2 years before our local government made it illegal to withdraw after round 2 (our university got very angry and took it to our national government). But they've made our point.

Maybe I was unfair, and again, my apologies. I'm trying my best not to be biased. And if I was, then I'm sorry. There are some things that come from personal experience that I don't want happening to other schools, especially schools that are already world class like my school NTU or UQ.

Last edited:
My point about standards with vs without interview was simply the following:
If you add a criterion for selection, then that will be expected to lower the standard for the other criteria. It's just a statistical truth. Otherwise, the new criterion doesn't have any weight! In other words, ridding the interview at UQ should be expected to raise the MCAT +/- GPA acceptance stats. Whether that's good or bad is another matter.

Last edited:
I spoke to the Head of School (Prof Wilkinson) last night re: all the talk about UQ acceptance standards and image. His response indicates that the standards for UQ admissions have *risen* slightly from 2005-2006 when I knew the data, approaching that "golden 30" (permission granted to me to disseminate; my emphasis added):

"In terms of admissions data and scores etc, we do not have this for the 2010 cohort because we do the summaries at census in late March. However for 2009 the average MCAT score was 29P, and the range was 24-39/M-S. In comparison in 2007 the average MCAT score was also 29P and the range was 24-35/M-S.

"Clearly standards are being maintained.

"For Australian students, UQ in 2010 received more first preference applications that any other School (618; Sydney was second at 476). Our places to first preference ratio is about 0.25 (just about the lowest, i.e. Highest demand). The overall minimum GAMSAT for UQ in 2010 was 63, same as Sydney, and higher than all others. This is the highest our cut off has ever been (by 1 mark). All these data are from ACER."

In other words, empirically size does not imply lower standard.

Prof Wilkinson has also re-affirmed his predecessor's intention of increasing size only while maintaining standards.

Last edited:
It seems to me that if UQ is that competitive they could afford to drop rolling admissions and only take applicants through ACER. That would weed out all the people that get in with 24s who apply early.

I spoke to the Head of School (Prof Wilkinson) last night re: all the talk about UQ acceptance standards and image. His response indicates that the standards for UQ admissions have *risen* slightly from 2005-2006 when I knew the data, approaching that "golden 30" (permission granted to me to disseminate; my emphasis added):

"In terms of admissions data and scores etc, we do not have this for the 2010 cohort because we do the summaries at census in late March. However for 2009 the average MCAT score was 29P, and the range was 24-39/M-S. In comparison in 2007 the average MCAT score was also 29P and the range was 24-35/M-S.

"Clearly standards are being maintained.

"For Australian students, UQ in 2010 received more first preference applications that any other School (618; Sydney was second at 476). Our places to first preference ratio is about 0.25 (just about the lowest, i.e. Highest demand). The overall minimum GAMSAT for UQ in 2010 was 63, same as Sydney, and higher than all others. This is the highest our cut off has ever been (by 1 mark). All these data are from ACER."

In other words, empirically size does not imply lower standard.

Prof Wilkinson has also re-affirmed his predecessor's intention of increasing size only while maintaining standards.

Well, you've made your point and I've made mine. I think we're arguing about 2 different things now.

We've agreed that interviews does not necessarily lower standard, which I've agreed I think I don't have enough evidence against that.

Now my argument is that, I want interviews to be there because otherwise medical schools will be just about test scores (Please read my post about Taiwan above if you haven't already). If it's only test scores then there's bound to be a cutoff. If it's 29, then what about the people with 28? They would be thinking it's unfair they were only a point off. There should be a another criterion of selection to "waive" the 28 in for another round of reconsideration, but to do that, we'd need another thing and not just GPA (because as I've mentioned, MCAT/GAMSAT + GPA are quantitative methods of analyzing an applicant. We also need a qualitative method, and maybe the interview could serve that purpose: to see if you have another quality in you that could make up for your lack of academic performance, say... patient contact and hands on learning and stuff). Because with the MCAT/GAMSAT + GPA combination

As for class sizes, I'm currently asking Pollux, who is, like me, also from Taiwan, what UQ is like. So I'll leave that alone for now until I get some insider info.

I understand that there are some amazing people in UQ, who could score 276/99 on the USMLE like Pollux. But with the huge class size would be variance, as you said, with high scorers, but also low scorers, which would be unfair for assessing average entrance scores. But I dunno, maybe huge class sizes would be fun. As I said, I'll do some insider research about that for now.

I think we've each made our point. Class sizes and interviews do not necessarily lower standards. But we need a qualitative way of assessing applicants or else there will be people complaining that they were 1 or 2 points off from making it in.

It seems to me that if UQ is that competitive they could afford to drop rolling admissions and only take applicants through ACER. That would weed out all the people that get in with 24s who apply early.

Ideally, for sure. But I think that works only in hindsight -- the SoM wants to maintain or increase standards, but also needs x finances; estimates need to be made ahead of an application year in order to make business decisions/forecasts; and then admissions policy is made. I think as long as the trend continues though, the School's really happy. Eventually I agree that the minimum should be raised.

Keep in mind also that American schools by and large don't have any cutoff! They also use any and every measure available to help them pick their students in big admissions meetings. When I was handed admissions data for U Rochester in 1995, I was shocked that there was a *16* accepted, along with a few 20s, despite the average and median being somewhere in the mid-30s. That was due to the typical American obsession with quotas, and I'm confident that sort of thing still goes on at virtually all the schools.

Last edited:
Now my argument is that, I want interviews to be there because otherwise medical schools will be just about test scores (Please read my post about Taiwan above if you haven't already). If it's only test scores then there's bound to be a cutoff. If it's 29, then what about the people with 28? They would be thinking it's unfair they were only a point off.

It cuts both ways though. What about the student who's rejected because, although his MCAT + GPA are decent, scores 1 point lower on the (non-standardizable) interview? I'm personally a big fan of standardization for this reason, but no matter what criteria you use, some people will get "screwed" for just missing some score cutoff. In the end, I think what's left to differentiate the quality of the criteria themselves is which ones are considered to be the best indicators of future performance -- whether in terms of academic assessment, attrition, internship acceptance or performance, odds of being sued as a doctor, salary, future research contribution, or whatever it is that a particular school cares about (and can measure).

It cuts both ways though. What about the student who's rejected because, although his MCAT + GPA are decent, scores 1 point lower on the (non-standardizable) interview? I'm personally a big fan of standardization for this reason, but no matter what criteria you use, some people will get "screwed" for just missing some score cutoff. In the end, I think what's left to differentiate the quality of the criteria themselves is which ones are considered to be the best indicators of future performance -- whether in terms of academic assessment, attrition, internship acceptance or performance, odds of being sued as a doctor, salary, future research contribution, or whatever it is that a particular school cares about (and can measure).

It's true that it may cut both ways, but I'd rather have it cut not because they messed up slightly on a test, but because they really may not become good doctors.

I'm against using only standardizable assessments because there are people who could score high on tests who will not make good doctors because they know the science, but they don't know much else. Tests and academic performance are a huge part of determining your success, but not everything.

My father's classmate from U. Michigan graduated at the top of his class and was known as the cram maniac. There was no tests he could not ace - that was the theory anyway. He got a phD, but could not get a job because he could not get along with people. He had horrible connections and has terrible teamwork. He is now in Taiwan selling fishes at a local market. That would suck, wouldn't it?

There are also people who could not score too high on the test, but will make good doctors. I think there should be at least a means to assess traits that could not be measured on a standardized test. Interviews may or may not serve that purpose. But there are also other ways - essays, past work experiences, connections, etc.

Whether in terms of academic assessment, attrition, internship acceptance or performance, odds of being sued as a doctor, salary, future research contribution, or whatever it is that a particular school cares about (and can measure)

Only academic performance could be "measured" using GPA or test scores as an indicator. The rest can't be "measured" according to GPA performance or tests. For example, how do you measure the odds of being sued as a doctor by using test scores? Malpractice maybe, but what about just being a jerk to patients? Unfair, yes, but that happens. My uncle (working at Hua-Lien Hospital in Hua Lien City), an orthopedic surgeon, was sued because he delayed surgery for three days. It wasn't because he wasn't a good surgeon. Future research contribution can't be measured either - that depends on the person, whether that person wants to do research or not, and an interview or essay could somehow predict that. Or even a list of past experiences.

There is a trend nowadays that EQ is more important than IQ. Sure tests can measure IQ and academic performances can give a pretty good indication of success rate, but without EQ, you can't get anywhere. And EQ cannot be measured by test scores or academic performances. And EQ is also a critical part of medical school and being a doctor because you work with people. How one works with people cannot be measured and if you talk to the person, you can at least get to know that person a bit.

It's true that it may cut both ways, but I'd rather have it cut not because they messed up slightly on a test, but because they really may not become good doctors.

The problem is, how should it be deternined what makes a bad doctor? Apparently interviews don't do that. And interviews are not standardizable (though some approach standardization better than others). And without standardization one can't make decisions about which aspect of an assessment criterion like an interview is what's determining the resulting quality of student (however that's to be defined), and is thus important in the decision process! Therefore such things as interviews open the door to more unfairness than any criterion which is more standardized.

Only academic performance could be "measured" using GPA or test scores as an indicator. The rest can't be "measured" according to GPA performance or tests. For example, how do you measure the odds of being sued as a doctor by using test scores?

Anything can be correlated to anything. But the correlations are only meaningful if the measures approach standardization, and indeed, schools attempt to standardize as much as they can so that they can approach the ideal of comparing apples with apples.

Yet many committees like to think they can better judge the quality of a future doctor based on hopelessly non-standardizable measures, like how they were swayed in an interview, or impressed by an applicant's trip to meet the Dalai lama; but how in the world are such things justified, and called 'fair', in particular *more* fair?

On the other hand, MCAT scores are about as standardized as you can get. And, for example, low MCAT scores were shown to correlate well with future disciplinary action as doctors a few years ago (a thread on this is either here or on valuemd.com). That's interesting information -- it's real, it's statistical, it is meaningful, it's fair.

MCAT score can be correlated with any other measure you want. The correlation may or may not be a strong one, but that's precisely my point -- if you don't know how your criteria affects outcome, then why have it? Because it sounds good? Because "it's the way things have been done"? Because it's somehow more fair to penalize or reward people based on uncontrollably subjective measures?

Whether a school uses a particular correlate to shape their admissions policies is up to them, but when they do, that's more meaningful than saying something on the order of, "Well, I liked how she kept her cool during the confrontation questioning better than he did, but I think he has better insight than she does based on his more direct answer to 'Who are you?', and he weaved in a great yarn about meeting the Dalai Lama on spring break, so I'm giving her an Interview Component Index of 7 and him an 8. Except she's Latina and he's a WASP, so she wins with a Cumulative Quality Index of 9.2". That, by my account, is less fair.

Last edited:

That's also really hard to assess - first of all, there are many branches of medicine where you don't need to be a people person, or good at communication to be a leader in your field. Pathology for example has a high proportion of people who have Asperger's and yet are well respected.

Secondly if you've worked in the medical field you know that there are certain people who are high achievers, yet lack interpersonal skills, and put undue stress on the team because of their "obsessive" way of doing things. However these people (because of their likely superb technical/scientific knowledge) know what to do in an Emergency, and can become natural leaders. I personally would rather have that person as my doctor then a good communicator with poor knowledge.

In a setting like General Practice you need a good communicator that can afford to have weak knowledge as long as they know their limits and are willing to refer, but that doesn't really apply to specialists.

The problem is, how should it be deternined what makes a bad doctor? Apparently interviews don't do that. And interviews are not standardizable (though some approach standardization better than others). And without standardization one can't make decisions about which aspect of an assessment criterion like an interview is what's determining the resulting quality of student (however that's to be defined), and is thus important in the decision process! Therefore such things as interviews open the door to more unfairness than any criterion which is more standardized.

Anything can be correlated to anything. But the correlations are only meaningful if the measures approach standardization, and indeed, schools attempt to standardize as much as they can so that they can approach the ideal of comparing apples with apples.

Yet many committees like to think they can better judge the quality of a future doctor based on hopelessly non-standardizable measures, like how they were swayed in an interview, or impressed by an applicant's trip to meet the Dalai lama; but how in the world are such things justified, and called 'fair', in particular *more* fair?

On the other hand, MCAT scores are about as standardized as you can get. And, for example, low MCAT scores were shown to correlate well with future disciplinary action as doctors a few years ago (a thread on this is either here or on valuemd.com). That's interesting information -- it's real, it's statistical, it is meaningful, it's fair.

MCAT score can be correlated with any other measure you want. The correlation may or may not be a strong one, but that's precisely my point -- if you don't know how your criteria affects outcome, then why have it? Because it sounds good? Because "it's the way things have been done"? Because it's somehow more fair to penalize or reward people based on uncontrollably subjective measures?

Whether a school uses a particular correlate to shape their admissions policies is up to them, but when they do, that's more meaningful than saying something on the order of, "Well, I liked how she kept her cool during the confrontation questioning better than he did, but I think he has better insight than she does based on his more direct answer to 'Who are you?', and he weaved in a great yarn about meeting the Dalai Lama on spring break, so I'm giving her an Interview Component Index of 7 and him an 8. Except she's Latina and he's a WASP, so she wins with a Cumulative Quality Index of 9.2". That, by my account, is less fair.

Standardized assessments alone are a bit unfair to people as people are a lot more complicated than just pieces of statistics.

I don't really think that a school will be able to 100% measure how good a student will become a doctor, but neither can the MCAT alone. It tests your reasoning skills and basic sciences, but everything else? Not really. Neither does the GAMSAT or any other standardized test. The school may not be able to do assess everything, but it should do as much as it can.

For example: Wollongong and Deakins look at your past experiences. That's a good start. Multi-mini interviews allow admission officers to understand a bit more than just seeing a few statistics of the person. I mean, do you think you'll be able to understand someone by looking at numbers alone? You'll want to understand someone a bit more than just a score and a GPA.

And if interviews are really that bad, then why is it used worldwide? Why not just abolish it completely? It's true that interviews may not be able to assess someone 100%, but we can say it's like a test. The quality of the test depends on the content, not the name of the test itself.

A good quality test can assess a student, like you think the MCAT. A good interview will be able to assess a student well, too. It all depends on how good the interview is set up and the content of the interview. Just saying that interviews are not good is not being fair, like saying all tests are not fair.

And overall, I think interviews do more good than bad, actually. At least it doesn't hurt to try it.

Standardized assessments alone are a bit unfair to people as people are a lot more complicated than just pieces of statistics.

An interview assessment is precisely just another piece of statistic. The question is whether it's a meaningul one.

By standardized assessment, I don't narrowly mean standardized tests. For example, counting Joe's 2/52-4/52 of extracurricular volunteer work in a health related field as equivalent to Jan's 2/52-4/52 of volunteer work in a health related field. That is a form of standardization.

The problem with interviews is that there isn't any way to standardize them, or their assessment, anywhere near to the extent that standardized exams are, or even to the extent that CVs can be. Some interviews are better structured than others. Others are outright counter-productive. Some interviewers are very good. A lot are crap. The bad ones reward and punish candidates based on meaningless criteria or on the interviewer's own quirky biases, and by an arbitrary amount -- who are they to decide that a minor league baseball stint counts more or less than recreational kite flying? That doesn't get better doctors.

There was an insightful article in the early 2000s, I think in Business Week, about the arbitrariness of getting into an American medical school. Sure, you generally need stellar MCAT and GPA, but then there are so many candidates with similarly good stats that the schools then use all sorts of arbitrary, in many cases mysterious, means to choose one candidate over another. Sports, race/socioeconomic class, candidate quirkiness/eccentricity, past adventures, money, family name, good timing, "feelings"... Interviews are most arbitrary. If the interviewer likes you, that helps a lot. If he doesn't, that screws you. A lot. If someone on the board spent time at the Hopital Albert Schweitzer, where Suzy did some volunteer work, then suddenly Suzi's prospects are better, if not just because the interviewer's paying more attention to a topic of conversation he might find exhilarating. Fair? An improvement on standards?

And if interviews are really that bad, then why is it used worldwide? Why not just abolish it completely?

Why are thousands of Chinese herbal remedies used by millions, when a vast majority of them will do nothing beyond a placebo effect? Why are breast self-examinations still encouraged, when they're known not to help reduce morbidity or mortality, and may in fact increase them? Why do doctors prescribe esomeprazole?? Even in science, the status quo is often puzzling.

And overall, I think interviews do more good than bad, actually. At least it doesn't hurt to try it.

Sure it does -- it hurts anyone who's penalized by their performance in a non-standardized, subjective, 45 minute assessment! One 'bad' mis-statement when put on the spot, one bad interviewer, one misinterpretation/false inference ...can screw your career. Meanwhile interviews embrace intra- and inter-assessor subjectivity. Much more so than the MCAT writing sample, which is all but ignored by schools because they're not well standardized.

Yet whatever assessment criteria are popular, many potentially great doctors will get weeded out. That will always be the case. My original point was, ridding a particular criterion doesn't itself imply a decrease in standards. Particularly when the evidence suggests the criterion didn't increase standards in the first place.

As my final note on this matter, note that Australia has a tradition of attempting to reduce the subjective, particularly the nepotism, from selection processes. Schools by and large don't look at your extracurricular activities, your publications, your past jobs, who you know or from whose loins you've sprung. That's part of the tall poppy syndrome. UQ just goes an extra step and no longer does interviews. People should get over it.

Last edited:
To play devil's advocate... pitman: can you please provide links to these articles disproving the utility of medical school interviews? The studies I have read have actually pointed to the contrary (have a look at the last discussion we had that you did not reply to).

I understand that you have an inherent interest in defending the reputation of UQ, but with the fact that they only take the MCAT as an entrance score, and with the fact that they admitted people with 24's on their MCAT, despite the average, it's difficult to justify the statement that they have not dropped standards. I'm sorry, but when that is your only measure for acceptance, there is little excuse to accept people with such relatively low scores unless they are remarkable either via interview or essay; both of which UQ does not ask or care for.

edit: here's the study you pointed out - http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/188_06_170308/wil10810_fm.html

it seems to argue the opposite...? FTA: "GPA was most strongly correlated with academic performance (eg, for overall score, partial Spearman's correlation coefficient [pSCC], 0.47; P < 0.001), followed by interviews (pSCC, 0.12; P = 0.004) and GAMSAT (pSCC, 0.07; P = 0.08). The association between GPA and performance waned from Year 1 to Year 4, while the association between interview score and performance increased from Year 1 to Year 4."

How does this help your argument that interview is useless? In fact, the two criteria UQ doesn't look at are the two that this particular study points to being the most useful.

Last edited:
I understand that you have an inherent interest in defending the reputation of UQ

Excuse me? And why is that? Because I went there, represented the student body, and was politically active in effecting change? Um, that doesn't happen without criticizing the establishment. Your presumption implies that arguments from anyone who might have insight into actual data on UQ should be trusted less. And it is no more valid than this: you as a non-UQ grad must have an inherent interest in belittling UQ.

Drop the ad hominems please and stick to the arguments themselves.

, but with the fact that they only take the MCAT as an entrance score, and with the fact that they admitted people with 24's on their MCAT, despite the average, it's difficult to justify the statement that they have not dropped standards.

Despite the average MCAT?? How does that get glossed over? The average MCAT is higher. That's a raise in at least one standard -- the MCAT.

More on interviews next post.

Last edited:
edit: here's the study you pointed out - http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/188_06_170308/wil10810_fm.html

it seems to argue the opposite...? FTA: "GPA was most strongly correlated with academic performance (eg, for overall score, partial Spearman's correlation coefficient [pSCC], 0.47; P < 0.001), followed by interviews (pSCC, 0.12; P = 0.004) and GAMSAT (pSCC, 0.07; P = 0.08). The association between GPA and performance waned from Year 1 to Year 4, while the association between interview score and performance increased from Year 1 to Year 4."

How does this help your argument that interview is useless? In fact, the two criteria UQ doesn't look at are the two that this particular study points to being the most useful.

Ok, let's look at that article. Did you even read it? Or are you confusing relative trend with absolute correlation, or possibly significance with correlation? The authors specifically counter such a rash conclusion as yours in their discussion:

"The largest and most recent systematic review on this topic concluded that prior academic performance accounted for 23% of variance in undergraduate medical performance,(3) a figure consistent with our findings. It is important to stress therefore that most variation in academic performance is not explained by selection criteria and is presumably a consequence of both intrinsic personal factors and the effect of the teaching itself.

"The systematic review(3) also concluded that further studies on the value of the interview are needed, and indicated that, in the studies reviewed, interviews seemingly added little or nothing to the selection process. At best, they were associated with only weak to modest independent prediction (0.11&#8211;0.14) of performance. In our study, the interview was correlated with overall total examination performance and performance in each Year 4 component (Box 6), but only at modest levels. The high levels of statistical significance (low P values) reflect the large dataset we studied, and it is important to focus on the absolute value of the adjusted correlation coefficient when interpreting our findings. For the interview, these ranged from 0.05 to 0.22, and were consistently substantially lower than the adjusted coefficients for GPA, except for Year 4 clinical and ethics examination performance, in which they were similar."

"3. Ferguson E, James D, Madeley L. Factors associated with success in medical school: systematic review of the literature. BMJ 2002; 324: 952-957."

Now I'm currently out bush without access to the BMJ, but knowing five of the paper's authors quite well, I don't have any reason to believe they're being disingenuous when they say they agree with the conclusions of the systematic review that interview adds little to no value.

But if one wishes to take that bit of faith to task, consider the study's very statistically significant finding that interview accounts for LESS THAN 2% OF THE VARIATION IN OUTCOME. No statistician would call that anything other than very weak.

And the point of any selection criterion is to improve outcome, no? The meaningful comparison isn't with placebo, because it's a fallacy to assume the value is additive. The meaninful comparison is with what else is already out there -- achievement test and GPA for Australian schools. In other words, a criterion only makes sense if it's shown to be an independent predictor of outcome, but the article makes a strong case that 1) as in the systematic review, the absolute correlation of interview with assessment is very weak; and 2) it does not appear to be independent, meaning that it doesn't seem to *add* any value to the criteria set.

In other words, the authors' conclusion is that there is no good justification to have the interview because it's not an independent variable and getting rid of it instead increases the relative importance of criteria which are shown to be better correlates of outcome.

Once again - people need to be a bit more careful about simplistic assumptions using sloppy reasoning. For example:

24+ (min of 8/8/8/M) and you will likely get an offer.

...is fallacious because it confuses cutoff-for-consideration with acceptance, and with distribution tails for that matter.

My point with interviews is and has been that it's similarly sloppy to assume that cutting them implies lower standards:

pitman said:

Last edited:
I would pay attention to this page http://www.health.qld.gov.au/medical/interninfo.asp to see your priority ranking in terms of intern jobs when you graduate from UQ. From what I can remember from last year, UQ international students are ranked 5th, even below New Zealand graduates.

BTW, Pitman, have our paths ever crossed before? I was in Cambridge, 2004-2006.

Last edited:
...even below New Zealand graduates.

hah. We were even lower priority before we petitioned Qld Health to raise us above the AMC candidates!

BTW, Pitman, have our paths ever crossed before? I was in Cambridge, 2004-2006

Hmm. Not sure. I used to hang in Cambridge quite a bit, but I came to Brisbane January 2004. We may have crossed paths at UQ?

Interesting, omniatlas...I was considering behavioral neuro at Emory long ago when I was doing behavioral tox work in Rochester.