~University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aj98

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy posting. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure yet either!!! Does anyone know if 2nd look weekend is paid for?!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure yet either!!! Does anyone know if 2nd look weekend is paid for?!?!

no, second look weekend is not paid for. but you should go anyway!

and you should all pick pitt because it's amazing :)

Second look is not paid for but you are hosted by students and there are a few meals that the school picks up. Definitely go because they give you a lot of information that you didn't get previously and you get to meet other people in your class and in our class.

I'm still deciding myself. Pitt seemed amazing when I visited. I'm just unsure about that senior project/thesis requirement. Any students want to shed light on how much time that takes up??

I'm still deciding myself. Pitt seemed amazing when I visited. I'm just unsure about that senior project/thesis requirement. Any students want to shed light on how much time that takes up??

Since I'll be doing research for a year, that's going to be my scholarly project so I'm not too sure on the details of it. I know that it does not have to be research based, which is what I see people on this site assuming, probably because I think that's what most people do. You can do a service based project either locally or abroad or set up a program at WISER (the simulation center) to be used for training.

As for time committment, I'm not too sure about that, but I know that the goal is to have it be a longitudinal project. You'll have some opportunity to talk with people during second look, which could give you a better idea.

I hope that's somewhat helpful.

because it's so structured and pretty much built into the curriculum, it's probably not an overwhelming time commitment--i don't know for sure since i'm just a first year, but that's the impression i've gotten. a lot of people start on theirs the summer after first year, which gives them a head start so they don't have to do as much while dealing with classes.

you can get money to work on it over the summer, too, so it's like a summer job if ya want.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback everyone! See everyone at Second Look!

I'm really looking forward to second look, I grew up in Pittsburgh and I can't wait to get back there! Pittsburgh's one of the "most liveable cities" :) And it doesn't slack on things to do! Great live musics scenes, countless museums (and if you're a modern art person, I'd highly recommend the Mattress Factory), there's phipps conservatory (awesome plants), the zoo's pretty quality, lots of hiking trails and such just a short drive from the city, lots of great vegan eateries and independent little stores in quaint areas, home to many colleges, lots of great eateries, close to amusement parks that are open in the summer, all in all it's a city with a lot of personality :) And google's opening up shop there, so I'm expecting more changes for the better! I'm a big fan of Pittsburgh :) The weather is kind of gloomy, but that's really the only downside for me.

Oh, and of course the school's pretty cool too. They definitely gave me the strongest "we really care" vibe, which was nice. See you guys at second look! I'm so excited for it. I'm pretty sure Pitt is where I"ll end up. There's maybe a 1% chance I'll get into Penn, so it's 99% that I'll be nesting in Pittsburgh for the next few years :)

Hi all!! We might be future classmates this fall!! Not sure yet, still deciding between Pitt and a GW scholarship...but I'll see you at Second Look!!!

Hi folks,

I just got word on Saturday - I've been admitted to Pitt! I really liked the school when I visited, but I'm not too sure about Pittsburgh. Anybody care to chime in about what it's like to live there?

I'm an outdoorsy guy - a cycling and a running freak, to be specific - so if anybody can speak to the area's livability from that standpoint I'd very much appreciate it.

Also - those of you who are currently at Pitt, what made you choose the school, and has it lived up to your expectations?

Thanks!

Hi folks,

I just got word on Saturday - I've been admitted to Pitt! I really liked the school when I visited, but I'm not too sure about Pittsburgh. Anybody care to chime in about what it's like to live there?

I'm an outdoorsy guy - a cycling and a running freak, to be specific - so if anybody can speak to the area's livability from that standpoint I'd very much appreciate it.

Also - those of you who are currently at Pitt, what made you choose the school, and has it lived up to your expectations?

Thanks!

Come to second look to get a better feel for the city. I'm not a runner or biker (I do more lifting and thus hang out in the gym) but I know people who do both. There's a group in our class that's training to run a marathon at the end of April.

As for the second question, I'd be better at answering in person than writing it all out (that and my brain is somewhat fried from studying for our immuno test tommorrow), but I am happy here. I love the block scheduling since we only have one science class at a time and so have only one thing to study for at a time. Clinical stuff starts really early. We've already learned how to interview and do a basic physical on standardized patients and now are going to be doing this on real patients. I'm actually quite frightened but it should be good.

But definitely, if you are thinking about Pitt at all, make sure you come to Second Look. It's going to be a good time and you should have a really good feel for the city and school afterwords.

If anyone has more specific questions, let me know. Those I'd be better at answering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi folks,

Thanks!

I've been accepted and am really leaning towards Pitt.

As for living here? I've been in Pittsburgh for the past 4 years so I can give my two cents about what it is like to live here...

Great, in a word. There is a lot of things to do- the oakland, shadyside, and squirrell hill neighborhoods (surrounding where the med school is) are pretty trendy and have a lot of character. South side is pretty awesome and always a great time (lots of bars, clubs, interesting shops, etc.).

Everyone always describes it as a small town feel with big city amentities.

You can survive without a car since you get free public transportation and things are pretty accessable from oakland. A car definitely helps though- buses stop running around 1:20am and sometimes can be pretty unreliable. We just got Flex cars in the city- so now you don't even need to blow additional money on getting your own car.

I don't really know what else to say, besides I've been happy here so far and am considering staying for another 4. PM me w/ any specific questions.

Oh, the weather can suck at times....but I suppose you can't have everything.

Hi Guys, does anybody know offhand how many hours per day the morning/afternoon lectures are during m1/m2? or how many hours per day?

Hi Guys, does anybody know offhand how many hours per day the morning/afternoon lectures are during m1/m2? or how many hours per day?

First year we're doing class from 8/9 to 12ish M-F, then 1 to 3/4 Tuesday and Wednesday. This includes PBL, lecture, lab, etc. for the science class and the other classes (e.g. ethics, biostats, etc.). We're also doing a clinic thing from 1 to 3/4/5 on one of those off afternoons.

Hope that helps.

Hi there. So I got in, and was real excited. I got tickets to go to 2nd look weekend a few days ago. I say tickets plural, because i'll be bringing my hubby to look at apartments (we would move in may) scope out jobs, etc. do you think there are any students that would be up for hosting both of us, or should i start looking for a hotel?

Hi there. So I got in, and was real excited. I got tickets to go to 2nd look weekend a few days ago. I say tickets plural, because i'll be bringing my hubby to look at apartments (we would move in may) scope out jobs, etc. do you think there are any students that would be up for hosting both of us, or should i start looking for a hotel?

We will be hosting you and your guests for second look. I recommend spending at least an extra day before or after the weekend to go look at apartments. Since I just did the search for my apartment this past May, if you want suggestions, PM me and I can answer questions.

Hi! I'm definitely going to Pitt for the Class of 2012.

I was wondering if anyone else here had applied for the PSTP or CSTP, and if so, if they had heard anything yet. I was really hoping to have an interview and was a little concerned they had started them already!

I just noticed that there was a thread about the class of 2012. Really excited because I am definitely going to Pitt. Are most of you going to 2nd look?
I would like to but I currently work full time and it's really hard to take time off.

I'm going to second look, but mostly because I'm not completely sure I'm going there. If my SO likes it like I think he will, we'll be looking for an apartment the monday after the weekend, then moving there in May.
I wouldn't worry about not going to second look weekend if you know for sure it's where you want to go.

I'm going to second look, but mostly because I'm not completely sure I'm going there. If my SO likes it like I think he will, we'll be looking for an apartment the monday after the weekend, then moving there in May.
I wouldn't worry about not going to second look weekend if you know for sure it's where you want to go.

I think it would be nice to meet some of my future classmates. I also want to look at apartments. I have managed twice before to find apartments in other cities without seeing them (and was very satisfied) but I have heard that would not be wise for Pittsburgh. So, if I can take the time off, I will be there.

Hi!

I'm definitely going to Pitt and look forward to meeting people at Second Look. I was wondering, with the talk about apartment hunting, whether anyone was considering the med school apartments. I heard that they were small, but I like the idea of living near my classmates. Any thoughts?

Hi!

I'm definitely going to Pitt and look forward to meeting people at Second Look. I was wondering, with the talk about apartment hunting, whether anyone was considering the med school apartments. I heard that they were small, but I like the idea of living near my classmates. Any thoughts?

I am thinking about maybe living there because I could get an extra 30 min of sleep each morning by being that close. But before I make that decision, I am going to look around for other apartments in the city and compare prices. I heard the apartments are really nice though with great amenities. One of the girls I interviewed with stayed there with a host. She did not say anything about the size but then again she was coming from NY city where everything is really small.

I think it would be nice to meet some of my future classmates. I also want to look at apartments. I have managed twice before to find apartments in other cities without seeing them (and was very satisfied) but I have heard that would not be wise for Pittsburgh. So, if I can take the time off, I will be there.

Hi, I'm going to Second Look, definitely. I'm an undergrad at Pitt right now, and I love going up to the med school (this feeling may wear off in a year, haha, but for right now, it's all good.) :) See you there!

I will be at Second Look. I love the school, but I am torn at this point. The other school that I like has a more laid back environment and smaller class size. Hopefully second look will help me discern what decision I should make.

So what do we wear for second look? Slacks, collared shirt? I don't want to be the tool with business casual look when everyone is in jeans, or the hobo in jeans when everyone is in business casual.

Are you all going to the SNMA, LGBT, or Shabbat (sp?) dinner on that Friday? What if you're not black/brown, gay/bi/tranny, or Jewish? The LGBT dinner thing says allies are invited too, so I guess that's the place for non-Jew whites to go on Friday?

those dinners are alternative dinners. the other option is dinner with hosts...I'm looking at the pdf of the weekend off the 2nd look link they gave us.

I just registered for Second Look! excited to meet you all :) :)

Just registered also for second look. Looking forward to it and meeting all of you

Just registered for second look as well. Looking forward to meeting you all! :)

Just registered for second look. I can't wait to eat you all!! :)

... did ya notice that? Ya'll were expecting "can't wait to MEET you all" ... o man, i'm so clever. :D

I don't sleep enough. It's apparent.

Just registered for second look. I can't wait to eat you all!! :)

... did ya notice that? Ya'll were expecting "can't wait to MEET you all" ... o man, i'm so clever. :D

I don't sleep enough. It's apparent.

haha, I was like "whaaaaat?" I'm so excited to go!

I'm very excited to meet you all at Second Look. The intro class to anatomy I've heard is awesome. Has anyone signed up for the massage session? I can't believe they are offering massages at Second Look. Any school that does that has got to be simply amazing.

I'm very excited to meet you all at Second Look. The intro class to anatomy I've heard is awesome. Has anyone signed up for the massage session? I can't believe they are offering massages at Second Look. Any school that does that has got to be simply amazing.

I think I signed up for the massage session. It seemed like a great idea!
Anyone talked to the Darragh street housing people? I phoned them yesterday and apparently they don't anticipate having many apartments open because lots of the current residents there are resigning their leases.

Hey guys! First time in this thread...

Does anyone know if there is a priority deadline for the financial aid application?

Hey guys! First time in this thread...

Does anyone know if there is a priority deadline for the financial aid application?

I emailed the Financial Aid lady and she told me to make sure that I have all of my paperwork in by April 16th.

Booked my tickets to 2nd look weekend!

But one question I have about Pitt is the grading system. I heard it is curved which can create a much more competitive atmosphere. Any Pitt students out there know what the real truth is? Else, Pitt seems awesome and I can't wait to visit.

Booked my tickets to 2nd look weekend!

But one question I have about Pitt is the grading system. I heard it is curved which can create a much more competitive atmosphere. Any Pitt students out there know what the real truth is? Else, Pitt seems awesome and I can't wait to visit.

Grading system is a curve, but I don't think it adds any competition. The curve is set up so that one standard deviation above the mean is honors and 2 standard deviations below the mean is failing. There is no ranking, even though you'll find contradictory things on this website and from people who don't know what they are talking about. My information came from the dean so it's a credible source. A high pass is the same as a low pass.

I've never noticed the competition here. I'm one of those people who doesn't care about honoring and since the range of scores needed to pass is so great, it actually makes me a little more lazy about studying than I should be. There are definitely people that are more stressed about school than others, but no one goes out of their way to be malicious or anything weird like that. The level of competition you feel is most likely related to the people that you hang out with so you should make sure to find a group of friends similar to you.

What is the deal with doing your clinical years at other Hospitals in PA? I have not heard of this. Where can I find info about it? I tried looking on Pitt's website, but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Grading system is a curve, but I don't think it adds any competition. The curve is set up so that one standard deviation above the mean is honors and 2 standard deviations below the mean is failing. There is no ranking, even though you'll find contradictory things on this website and from people who don't know what they are talking about. My information came from the dean so it's a credible source. A high pass is the same as a low pass.

I've never noticed the competition here. I'm one of those people who doesn't care about honoring and since the range of scores needed to pass is so great, it actually makes me a little more lazy about studying than I should be. There are definitely people that are more stressed about school than others, but no one goes out of their way to be malicious or anything weird like that. The level of competition you feel is most likely related to the people that you hang out with so you should make sure to find a group of friends similar to you.

Thanks for the info.

So it's a H/P/NP system right? There is no "high pass"?

Thanks for the info.

So it's a H/P/NP system right? There is no "high pass"?

For the first two years. Then after that it's supposed to add in a high pass in there but there's no "curve" or a set number that can acheive each grade. Everyone can theoretically earn honors in each rotation during the clinical years.

The latest USNWR rankings are out, and Pitt moved up to 14th. Congrats Pitt! :D (Keep in mind that rankings are only one piece of the total picture.)

Hey guys,

Anybody know when orientation starts? I need to know when I need to be back in the country, hehe..

See you all at Second look!

Hey guys,

Anybody know when orientation starts? I need to know when I need to be back in the country, hehe..

See you all at Second look!

White coat is August 10 2008- looking forward to meeting you all this weekend! :hardy:

The class of 2011/AMSA has started a Facebook site for the class of 2012 to let you know about Orientation events, discuss housing, etc. We will be updating it with information about all sorts of Orientation events, pictures, etc. and some student organizations will start giving updates over the next few months. There are currently two groups out there...look for the one with the "Pitt Med" sign as a picture for orientation updates and to meet members of the class of 2012 who are willing to answer your questions. Looking forward to meeting people at Second Look! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10460369033

sweet second look. textuality i sat across from you at dinner the first night!