University of Oklahoma Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chiq07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did your interview go? I think mine went okay but it could have been better. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

How did your interview go? I think mine went okay but it could have been better. ;)

I thought mine went pretty good. Essay was good, and my interview was decent. I had all 3 interviewers engaged in conversation at one point, and that's something to be proud of, considering one of them seemed stone cold at first. What group were you in?

I was in the A1 group. I thought I was rambling and nervous. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview went OK, everyone is nice and they give you the stat of the entering class last year to relieve your stress (it's quite decent and not that skyrocketed high like other school). The town is very nice and calm and peaceful. Essay questions on my day were these: the AM session asked "what does success mean to you?", the PM session (my session) asked "Describe the characteristics of a good leader and explain why?" The interview is based mostly on your pharmcas information and some situational questions. You'll be judged by 3 people: 1 falcuty, 1 pharm student (usually P3), 1 preceptor. After the interview, the stress will be released all out so just focus on that! Good luck people. I just don't like the fact that we have to wait until April to know our status. I mean, it's a month of depression and anxiety :(

I was in the A1 morning group too!!! Anyhoo, my faculty member was SUPER nice and seemed very interested in getting to know me as a person. My practicing pharmacist was a little challenging at first, but by the end I had him cracking jokes. :thumbup: My student was a P4, and she seemed like the kind of person that is really shy. I did initiate and carry on a conversation with her at the end of my interview as well. So all in all, the interview went pretty good. My essay went well too, I thought. I'm probably jinxing myself by thinking I did good. ;) During the morning session, they gave the stats of THIS YEARS interview pool. The pre req average GPA was a 3.4 something, and mine is well above that. :D Hopefully, we all get good news soon. Also, my P1 said they are only interviewing 200 students this year, which is cool, that means that they accept 70% of interviewees.

I'm with you chiq. I did alright, but I could have done better. I can't tell you how many times, since the interview, that I've been driving somewhere thinking about the interview, and I'll think, "Man! Why didn't I say that?" But all in all, I think I did well.
I know they said we'd found out whether or not we are excepted by mid-April, but did anyone happen to ask what's the earliest we might know?

That's exactly how I feel. I've been driving myself nuts about what I should have said instead. I was kind of nervous that I thought I was rambling. Are you in the morning group? :(

No, I was in the afternoon group. B3

I am so tired of being tired of waiting and this school takes a month!! any suggestion to alleviate this syndrome?

I had my interview today and I think that I did rather well but I was still very nervous. Since the interview I have been second guessing my answers. I hope that they think I did well. I really want to go to this school.:thumbup:

Hello, this is my first posting so I'd like to welcome myself to the chatroom... Sorry, bad joke. I had my OU interview Saturday morning. It was incredibly stressful - until I got to the interview. The interview itself was easy-going with no difficult questions. The interviewers seemed to be genuinely interested in what I had to say and they agreed with me on all of my answers. The only thing that worried me was that my interview was very quick - only about 15 - 20 minutes and it ended rather abruptly. As you can tell by my screen name, I've got a relatively low GPA but very high PCAT scores, so it left me with a queesy feeling in my gut. I felt that I did really well but I'm still concerned.... Anybody else feel like that?

Hello, this is my first posting so I'd like to welcome myself to the chatroom... Sorry, bad joke. I had my OU interview Saturday morning. It was incredibly stressful - until I got to the interview. The interview itself was easy-going with no difficult questions. The interviewers seemed to be genuinely interested in what I had to say and they agreed with me on all of my answers. The only thing that worried me was that my interview was very quick - only about 15 - 20 minutes and it ended rather abruptly. As you can tell by my screen name, I've got a relatively low GPA but very high PCAT scores, so it left me with a queesy feeling in my gut. I felt that I did really well but I'm still concerned.... Anybody else feel like that?

At first I felt really good, but the more I think about it, the more worried I get. My GPA is pretty high with an average PCAT, with lots of pharm experience and volunteering. so that's good. My interview was more a "get to know me" session than an interview. My interviewers also shook their heads as I answered. I'm starting to get real paranoid about the whole situation. Are you in state or out of state? I know how you feel though!!!! You were in the morning session?? Do you know how many people were in your session?

Is anyone else obsessing over this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm obsessing. I had my interview on 2/24 and think I did well (maybe). :confused: Did any of you catch the exact number they were interviewing this year? Also, does anyone know what would be the earliest date we would get notified if we get in or not?

I believe that they said they were interviewing 190. So with 140 being accepted that gives you a 73% chance.

I interviewed 3/3 and I can tell you that there were a heck of a lot of out of state people at that interview. I would probably guess at least 20-30. Being that they can only accept a few out of stater's with it being a state school, I feel pretty confident.

I just hope not too confident.

Good luck!!!!

Who's applying to Tulsa or Oklahoma City campus? I am applying to OKC. :)

Interviewed March 3 and applied to the OKC Campus

Here's some of my info so you guys will know what your up against. Share your info if you don't mind.

gpa - 3.7
pcat - 68
experience - 1.5 years
volunteer work - ~50 hours
in state - yep
interview - I'd give myself a 7 out of 10
essay - 8 out of 10
tulsa or okc - I'm shooting for tulsa, but I'd go to okc
other schools I'm applying to: SWOSU

gpa - 3.56
pcat - 87
experience - 7 years
volunteer work - over 100 hours
Texas Resident- Out of State
interview - I'd give myself a 8 out of 10
essay - 8 out of 10
Preference-OKC Campus

gpa: 3.89
pcat: 92
Over 10 years of Hospital Administration Experience
Volunteer 792 hours
In State
Interview 8/10
Essay 6/10 (not enough room to write a great quality essay)
Preference Tulsa Campus

gpa: 3.89
pcat: 92
Over 10 years of Hospital Administration Experience
Volunteer 792 hours
In State
Interview 8/10
Essay 6/10 (not enough room to write a great quality essay)
Preference Tulsa Campus

Humble pie, anyone? . . . anyone?
Nice work OUPharmD

Thanks

I hope we all finally get to meet in the fall.

Thanks, I guess (not quite sure of your comment)

The Pcat wasn't always that high. My first score was a LOW 39.

The essay was difficult for me because I write the equivalent of a 24 font (no kidding). Only having one page and having to write so much smaller was very difficult for me.

I hope we all finally get to meet in the fall.

It was a compliment :)

Who's applying to Tulsa or Oklahoma City campus? I am applying to OKC. :)

I want Tulsa.
GPA 3.59
PCAT 87
Interview: Who Knows?
Essay: 6 or 7 out of 10
Volunteer/Exp.: Very little :(

Wow guys!!! It looks like we all have stats that are well above the average interviewee. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mine:
GPA: 3.77
PCAT: 86

Interview: Eeeh, 7/10. At first I thought I did real good, but now I'm wondering.....

Essay: 9/10. I slammed that essay.

Residency: I'm Sooner born, and Sooner bred, and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead.

Worked in a pharmacy for 3 and 1/2 years.
CPhT
I volunteer at a health clinic for the uninsured.

I prefer Tulsa, cause I wouldn't have to move.

Anyway, I noticed at my session (2/24 morning) that there were ALOT of out of staters. Of the 4 girls that sat around me, 2 were from out of state. So that's good news for us in staters. Also, I asked my P1 tour guide how many they were interviewing, and she (very confidently) said 200. However, I emailed Jennifer Richardson today about something else and I threw that question in there, and I also asked if they were sending decisions before April. Anyway, I'll let you all know if I find anything out!!!!! Good luck to you all!!!! :thumbup:

Essay questions on my day were these: the AM session asked "what does success mean to you?":(

I don't think that was our essay for the 2/24 morning session... or I hope not or else :eek:

Here's some of my info so you guys will know what your up against. Share your info if you don't mind.

Overall pharmcas gpa - 3.58 (B.S. Chemistry)
pcat - :eek:
pharmacy experience - Just started this February
volunteer work - 2 years
in state - Yes
interview - I'd give myself a 6.5 out of 10
essay - 6.5 out of 10
tulsa or okc - OKC
other schools I'm applying to: none

I wish everyone the best of luck! Hopefully we all get in!

You were in my A1 morning group......and our essay was about the 3 characteristics a health care provider must possess.

You were in my A1 morning group......and our essay was about the 3 characteristics a health care provider must possess.

That's correct! What a relief... :luck:

I think that there were probably about 60 or so people in my session. I'm in-state, applying to the Tulsa campus and I'm an OU grad which should certainly help my chances. However, I'm also feeling very paranoid about the whole thing and this whole waiting until April 15th is going to kill me. Do you know if they'll be letting people know before then or are they informing everybody all at once?

My stats:
GPA - not good overall, but my last 60 hours are about a 3.80
PCAT - 95 (mistimed the math section and wound up with a 55)
10 years pharmacy tech experience
OU grad (biochem major)
2 years industrial research
Interview - 8.5? out of 10 (but still worried)
Essay - 9? out of 10 (but still worried)
applying to Tulsa
Not applying to any other schools

When I attended my interview last weekend at OU, I was told that there is a scoring system that they use for applicants. GPA represents a percentage, PCAT represents a percentage, and your interview and essay represent a percentage. Does anybody know exactly what the percentages are? The reason I ask - I didn't figure in a million years that I would get an interview because of my low GPA. But I was told that if you do get an interview, then you've already passed the major hurdle and your interview becomes the deciding factor. Does anybody know if there is any truth to this? With only 200 or so interviewees (at least, that's what I've been told) and 140 spots available, I would think that only those who blew their interviews and couldn't write a half-decent essay would be excluded. Anybody have any thoughts to share on this????? I'm trying to find something positive to dwell on so that I don't think about this so much - it's driving me crazy!!!!!:scared:

I believe that they only really use the pre req GPA. I may be wrong, but that's what they really emphasized in my session. What session were you at? Anyway, I'm really worried about my interview the more I think about it. It's not like it went bad or anything, I just wish I could've done some things different. Oh well. Also, with as many out of staters that were there, I imagine that the in state ppl have a good shot. At least I hope. :rolleyes: It helps knowing that you all know how I feel. I really hope they don't wait till the middle of April to let us know!!! I'll have went crazy by then.

I believe that they only really use the pre req GPA. I may be wrong, but that's what they really emphasized in my session. What session were you at? Anyway, I'm really worried about my interview the more I think about it. It's not like it went bad or anything, I just wish I could've done some things different. Oh well. Also, with as many out of staters that were there, I imagine that the in state ppl have a good shot. At least I hope. :rolleyes: It helps knowing that you all know how I feel. I really hope they don't wait till the middle of April to let us know!!! I'll have went crazy by then.

Cycloketocaine - I was in the morning session on March 3rd. Was there anything in particular about your interview that you wish you could have changed? Also, how long did yours last? My was 15-20 minutes and was going along great but then ended without any kind of encouragement....I don't know what to think.

This must be the case. When she was talking about the prerequisites for the interview and stated that in order to be invited for an interview you had to have a 50 pcat with no subscore lower than a 25, the girl next to me mumbled "not true" and showed me her score. Her composite was 38. I about fell out of my chair.

I don't too much believe in the validity of the pcat scoring system anyway. I first got a very low score (30's) then a very high score (90's).

Cycloketocaine - I was in the morning session on March 3rd. Was there anything in particular about your interview that you wish you could have changed? Also, how long did yours last? My was 15-20 minutes and was going along great but then ended without any kind of encouragement....I don't know what to think.

Well, hhmmmm. There were 66 people in my session, 60 or so in yours, and 62 in the 3/3 PM session. It sounds to me like they interviewed more than 190 or 200. Anyway, during my interview, I got teary eyed, because we talked about my daughter being my motivation and stuff. My interviewer was really nice about it and said that it shows that I have deep rooted motivations, and I made fun of myself, which made everybody laugh. I also never broke down, just got a little shaky. It just really worries me though!!! The rest of the interview went pretty good, I thought. I asked some questions at the end and got everybody involved, which was hard, cause my student was kinda quiet at first. I though my answers were pretty good. I only would've changed one thing or so. I also cracked, but didn't cry, when my interviewer asked me why my father would be proud of me. I'm usually not that emotional...I guess it was the stress of interviews. And it's not like I bawled, I got teary eyed, and quickly regained composure. But I'm still really worried. EVerybody tells me not too....what do you think?? Anyway, I think I did really well on my essay. I had an opening paragraph, three supporting paragraphs, and a closing paragraph. My interview lasted 25 min, and we were talking as I walked out the door. They cut me off abruptly also, but they said they needed a few minutes to finish the evaluation.

Well, hhmmmm. There were 66 people in my session, 60 or so in yours, and 62 in the 3/3 PM session. It sounds to me like they interviewed more than 190 or 200. Anyway, during my interview, I got teary eyed, because we talked about my daughter being my motivation and stuff. My interviewer was really nice about it and said that it shows that I have deep rooted motivations, and I made fun of myself, which made everybody laugh. I also never broke down, just got a little shaky. It just really worries me though!!! The rest of the interview went pretty good, I thought. I asked some questions at the end and got everybody involved, which was hard, cause my student was kinda quiet at first. I though my answers were pretty good. I only would've changed one thing or so. I also cracked, but didn't cry, when my interviewer asked me why my father would be proud of me. I'm usually not that emotional...I guess it was the stress of interviews. And it's not like I bawled, I got teary eyed, and quickly regained composure. But I'm still really worried. EVerybody tells me not too....what do you think?? Anyway, I think I did really well on my essay. I had an opening paragraph, three supporting paragraphs, and a closing paragraph. My interview lasted 25 min, and we were talking as I walked out the door. They cut me off abruptly also, but they said they needed a few minutes to finish the evaluation.

We appear to have a similar background. My father died right after high school and I wound up supporting my mother (who has lupus) and my little brother who was just entering high school, all while trying to attend college at the same time. GPA suffered bigtime for it. Eventually things settled down and I was able to pull it together for my last few semesters, though my overall GPA was still abyssmal. Anyway, I got married in July 2004 and my wife and I are expecting our first child next month (little boy). Actually, he is due about the same time that we should be hearing the (hopefully good) news from OU about acceptance. Everybody keeps telling me that I should stop worrying about, that I did great, yada yada, but I'm still freaking out inside. I feel like I should be doing something.....I wouldn't worry at all about getting a little teary-eyed during the interview when speaking of your daughter and the motivation that she inspires. If they delved that deeply into your world, they have a pretty good idea of who you are, how you will perform in school, and what kind of pharmacist you'll make (which, from what I can tell is a very good one).

My student was also very quiet at first, but opened up a bit toward the end. I had them laughing a couple of times (once unintentionally when they mentioned that it seemed I had had a case of freshmanitis and I replied, "and a case of sophomoritis as well...." - yuck, yuck). The thing that worries me though is that I'm not sure that they got a clear enough picture of who I am and how much I want to go to pharmacy school in the 15-20 minutes that we spoke.

My essay was pretty well written, too. With only one page of writing available, however, I decided to make it one long paragraph (may have been a mistake). But my paragraph had a good opener, 3 major points with qualifying sentences and a good closer - oh well, we'll see I guess.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who is obsessing about all of this. Oh, one more thing. What kind of questions did you ask at the end of your interview? I only asked two - the rest of mine were answered by the students. In all honesty, I felt like I was being shooed out of the room to some extent. I was the last interviewee of the morning and I think that they were ready for a break.....

Thanks for the encouragement about the interview. I just can't help but to dwell on it. Anyway, I asked them about the student/faculty dynamic and the policies that the professors have on helping their students any problems they might have. I also asked about the student life at the school. They were kind of cheesy questions but I felt I needed to ask something. I hope that you're right about my interview. I left feeling satisfied with my answers, but I just keep doubting myself. Congrats on your son!! Kids are the best. I'm glad that you know how I feel!!!!!! :D

We appear to have a similar background. My father died right after high school and I wound up supporting my mother (who has lupus) and my little brother who was just entering high school, all while trying to attend college at the same time. GPA suffered bigtime for it. Eventually things settled down and I was able to pull it together for my last few semesters, though my overall GPA was still abyssmal. Anyway, I got married in July 2004 and my wife and I are expecting our first child next month (little boy). Actually, he is due about the same time that we should be hearing the (hopefully good) news from OU about acceptance. Everybody keeps telling me that I should stop worrying about, that I did great, yada yada, but I'm still freaking out inside. I feel like I should be doing something.....I wouldn't worry at all about getting a little teary-eyed during the interview when speaking of your daughter and the motivation that she inspires. If they delved that deeply into your world, they have a pretty good idea of who you are, how you will perform in school, and what kind of pharmacist you'll make (which, from what I can tell is a very good one).

My student was also very quiet at first, but opened up a bit toward the end. I had them laughing a couple of times (once unintentionally when they mentioned that it seemed I had had a case of freshmanitis and I replied, "and a case of sophomoritis as well...." - yuck, yuck). The thing that worries me though is that I'm not sure that they got a clear enough picture of who I am and how much I want to go to pharmacy school in the 15-20 minutes that we spoke.

My essay was pretty well written, too. With only one page of writing available, however, I decided to make it one long paragraph (may have been a mistake). But my paragraph had a good opener, 3 major points with qualifying sentences and a good closer - oh well, we'll see I guess.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who is obsessing about all of this. Oh, one more thing. What kind of questions did you ask at the end of your interview? I only asked two - the rest of mine were answered by the students. In all honesty, I felt like I was being shooed out of the room to some extent. I was the last interviewee of the morning and I think that they were ready for a break.....

Oh, and BTW, we also talked about everything I had to overcome to get to this point (I have Crohn's disease). I also got the generic "Why pharmacy" and "If you were in a group and someone wasn't pulling their weight, what would you do?"

Thanks for the encouragement about the interview. I just can't help but to dwell on it. Anyway, I asked them about the student/faculty dynamic and the policies that the professors have on helping their students any problems they might have. I also asked about the student life at the school. They were kind of cheesy questions but I felt I needed to ask something. I hope that you're right about my interview. I left feeling satisfied with my answers, but I just keep doubting myself. Congrats on your son!! Kids are the best. I'm glad that you know how I feel!!!!!! :D

Cycloketocaine - when did you graduate from OU? And did you work as a tech in Norman? I'm trying to figure out if we know each other. I graduated in 2005 and I worked as a tech for Wal-Mart from 2002 - 2004.

Cycloketocaine - when did you graduate from OU? And did you work as a tech in Norman? I'm trying to figure out if we know each other. I graduated in 2005 and I worked as a tech for Wal-Mart from 2002 - 2004.

Oh!! I didn't go to OU (wish I did) After HS, I went to nursing school. I decided it wasn't for me, so I transferred to Northeastern State in Tahlequah. I have been a tech in Muskogee since 03. Anyway, what questions did you ask your interviewers? I emailed Jennifer Richardson Monday to ask her about something else, and I threw in a question about how many people they interviewed, and when they're sending out decisions. I'll let you know when I hear something.

I may have not gone to OU, but I've been to every home game since 99, and most bowl games.

Oh!! I didn't go to OU (wish I did) After HS, I went to nursing school. I decided it wasn't for me, so I transferred to Northeastern State in Tahlequah. I have been a tech in Muskogee since 03. Anyway, what questions did you ask your interviewers? I emailed Jennifer Richardson Monday to ask her about something else, and I threw in a question about how many people they interviewed, and when they're sending out decisions. I'll let you know when I hear something.

I may have not gone to OU, but I've been to every home game since 99, and most bowl games.

Geez, you're more OU crazy than I am. :p

Well I asked how the final decisions were made and that's when they told me that they do use a points system (but that's about all he said). Then I asked about the internship system - how many hours you were required to work each semester and if there were a maximum number of hours that you could work. I couldn't think of anything else to ask.....As for the number of interviewees, I was originally told that 200 were invited but several cancelled. But I find that number hard to believe with the number of interviewees in your session and in mine. It seems that 250 would be a more logical figure....But let me know what Jennifer Richardson says....Do you know of anybody whose interview was bad???

Geez, you're more OU crazy than I am. :p

Well I asked how the final decisions were made and that's when they told me that they do use a points system (but that's about all he said). Then I asked about the internship system - how many hours you were required to work each semester and if there were a maximum number of hours that you could work. I couldn't think of anything else to ask.....As for the number of interviewees, I was originally told that 200 were invited but several cancelled. But I find that number hard to believe with the number of interviewees in your session and in mine. It seems that 250 would be a more logical figure....But let me know what Jennifer Richardson says....Do you know of anybody whose interview was bad???

That's what I thought about the number of interviewees, but I have heard from 4 or 5 people that only 200 interviewed. Maybe you're right, I like your numbers better than those we came up with. I only know of one person who thinks they aced their interview. Everyone else is like you and me, wishing they said this or that.

From what I remember, the point system ranges from 1-5 and a 4 or 5 means you pretty have high stats and are pretty much getting in. Three means more than likely. Two is like a maybe. And a one is like a big maybe. If they don't meet their student quota than the 2's and 1's are compared. Someone told me this info this year but I can't quite recall exactly.

Y'alls stats don't look bad at all. I had a gpa of like 3.17 and a pcat of 68 so all your scores are well above mine. I didn't have any pharmacy experience either except I shadowed a guy for an hour a couple of weeks before interviews. Anyways, good luck guys!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Just wondering, what will be your age if you get accepted this year? I am 23 right now, turning 24 this August... :)

That's what I thought about the number of interviewees, but I have heard from 4 or 5 people that only 200 interviewed. Maybe you're right, I like your numbers better than those we came up with. I only know of one person who thinks they aced their interview. Everyone else is like you and me, wishing they said this or that.

I am not sure if you guys know that there was not an afternoon session on 03/03, only an AM session. I think there were around 60 or so in each session. I was told that 190 interviewed, so with only 3 sessions this seems right.

I am so nervous. I have been told that I have nothing to worry about and that most in-staters that interviewed this year have a excellent chance. I really hope this is so.

By the way, one funny thing (for you girls) I noticed walking into my interview room that my knee highs were rolling down. I was more worried about them noticing this then not knowing the answer to the questions. Thank goodness my pants were just a tad bit long.

Just had to give everyone a laugh.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am not sure if you guys know that there was not an afternoon session on 03/03, only an AM session. I think there were around 60 or so in each session. I was told that 190 interviewed, so with only 3 sessions this seems right.

I am so nervous. I have been told that I have nothing to worry about and that most in-staters that interviewed this year have a excellent chance. I really hope this is so.

By the way, one funny thing (for you girls) I noticed walking into my interview room that my knee highs were rolling down. I was more worried about them noticing this then not knowing the answer to the questions. Thank goodness my pants were just a tad bit long.

Just had to give everyone a laugh.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

YOU ARE WONDERFUL!!!! I have been obsessing about the number of interviewees and such. I didn't know that they didn't have an afternoon session. That's exciting for us in staters!!!!! GO OKLAHOMA!!! Did you wear a pant suit??

YOU ARE WONDERFUL!!!! I have been obsessing about the number of interviewees and such. I didn't know that they didn't have an afternoon session. That's exciting for us in staters!!!!! GO OKLAHOMA!!! Did you wear a pant suit??

Oh lord yes!!! I hate skirts and pantyhose I just can't deal with. Thought the knee highs were safe. But NO!!!!

I hate to be over confident. I felt going out of the interview that I did all I could do and wasn't second guessing myself on any of my responses. But I read stuff on here about those that didn't make it and am beginning to. I just hope my P-1 friends are correct that I have nothing to worry about. Like they are making the decision!!!:rolleyes: