University of Oklahoma, Classes of 2008-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You MS2's and your 4 day work-weeks...

Members don't see this ad.

You MS2's and your 4 day work-weeks...

Part of me wants to get all self-righteous about how much work (and lack of sleep) we put into this four day work week, but mostly I think I'll just kick back with a big ole grin, 'cause in just a few short months (tick tock, tick tock, do you hear that? it's August coming...) you'll know what it's like to be in IHI and Pharm. And I only have one more test block left. So :p

It's nice to be done :)

On the other hand, I don't know about the other 2nd years, but I wasn't really as happy as I normally am walking out of HB, 'cause it's finally hitting me that it's for real for cereal time to study for step 1. That sucks :(

Members don't see this ad :)
So lazy. They should come to my house and teach my respiratory physiology instead of sleeping or partying or whatever. :)

Like any of us remember respiratory phys! You breathe in and out, right? And COPD and emphysema are bad. So's lung cancer. And smoking. I remember the test being a little harder though... I suppose I'd better brush up before June :D

On the other hand, I don't know about the other 2nd years, but I wasn't really as happy as I normally am walking out of HB, 'cause it's finally hitting me that it's for real for cereal time to study for step 1. That sucks :(

Yeah, it seems from SDN that step 1 is start to loom ominously over all MS2s everywhere. I'm glad it's not coming up for me because I don't remember anything already. I can't imagine trying to cram all those biochem intermediates into my brain again. And we've only covered the easy (well, easier) stuff. :eek:

Part of me wants to get all self-righteous about how much work (and lack of sleep) we put into this four day work week, but mostly I think I'll just kick back with a big ole grin, 'cause in just a few short months (tick tock, tick tock, do you hear that? it's August coming...) you'll know what it's like to be in IHI and Pharm. And I only have one more test block left. So :p

It's nice to be done :)

I tease out of love. And jealousy. Ok, mostly jealousy.

I tease out of love. And jealousy. Ok, mostly jealousy.

im not jealous. we still get a summer. theirs consists of studying for step and rotations. :thumbdown: i am not looking forward to next spring. a cloud of dread will hang over my head.

I don't know, at least then you'll be studying for something that actually matters...

Although, I guess that is why it's dreadful.

It's prolly WAY the wrong venue for bringing it up, but at first I was like, "That was a REALLY dumb thing to say, on the air." But now, after such a backlash causing his termination this long after the remarks, it kinda makes me wonder what is really different about black comedians imitating crackers like Johnny, or how NOTHING would've come of it had it been said by someone not white. That all leads me to believe that he is only getting fired not because of WHAT he said but because of WHO said it and the fact that whoever signs his checks is gonna lose ad money from products that will no longer be purchased by TBC.

It shouldn't surprise me, it's just another sign of the whole we can say it, but we're oppressed if anyone else does mentality. And that money talks.

I'll shut up. Besides, my break time is over...

It's prolly WAY the wrong venue for bringing it up, but at first I was like, "That was a REALLY dumb thing to say, on the air." But now, after such a backlash causing his termination this long after the remarks, it kinda makes me wonder what is really different about black comedians imitating crackers like Johnny, or how NOTHING would've come of it had it been said by someone not white. That all leads me to believe that he is only getting fired not because of WHAT he said but because of WHO said it and the fact that whoever signs his checks is gonna lose ad money from products that will no longer be purchased by TBC.

It shouldn't surprise me, it's just another sign of the whole we can say it, but we're oppressed if anyone else does mentality. And that money talks.

I'll shut up. Besides, my break time is over...
Freedom of speech is rapidly going out the door and being replaced with PC and catoring to the whiney f*cks. I saw a headline yesterday where fatboy sharpton was calling for new laws about what is ok to say on the airwaves. What a tool.

The "Rev" sharpton can kiss my white *ss and go get a f*cking job for a change. I can stand politicians and activists...both are so full of ****. There's not a democrat or republican out there I trust anymore.

I wanna change my screen name on here to NAPPY-CRACKER :thumbup:

Well, you can still say whatever you want. You just might not have a job. Because it isn't a gubment thing; I don't think, I dunno if the FCC had an opinion or not. It's a who isn't going to buy our products thing. They're all just puppets. I think if he says anything but "ho's" he's golden. For some reason, girls don't like that. :confused:

I'm sure it ain't verbatim, but I read somewhere, "Politics should be more than 2 wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner."

Life is all choices and consequences. Take for instance, my choice to blow off all my other classes in order to not take Neuro this summer...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll try to tell myself that tomorrow. I chose to not study much this test block, and I've especially not studied for physio.
You must be one of those people who aren't always bordering on failing a class :laugh: I can't relate :scared:

I bet within a month there's a Southpark episode about poor old Imus.

"Anus in the Morning" and the Rev Sal Farton

I bet within a month there's a Southpark episode about poor old Imus.

"Anus in the Morning" and the Rev Sal Farton

Damn this weird sleep schedule. Before anyone questions why I'm up this early; I fully intend to go back to bed.

Did you see the episode where Randy said ****** (the N-word) on Wheel of Fortune? They even had him kissing Jesse Jacksons' ass. ;) Funny stuff. I don't know if they can do another related kind of episode so soon. I'm pretty sure that was this season... if not the season premiere.

Now... back to bed.

Enjoy phys you guys and good luck!

I'm gonna get soooooo f*ckin drunk in about 6 hrs...then sleep.

I think I'm the only non-South Park fan on SDN. :) I used to like way back when it started, but now just the general nihilism of the show gets to me. The last episode I watched was the horrible one about is 2000 about the Bush/Gore fiasco.

I also think Imus is an a&&hole and don't feel remotely bad for him. If you spew enough hatred, eventually it's gonna come back and hit you. I also got to be all lawyerly and say it's not a free speech issue. He has a right to say whatever he wants. He doesn't have a right to be paid to say it.

So we're almost done, and this test will only have 3 Dormer questions! :D

So that wasn't horrible. I do think that people who say physiology's about concepts and not memorization are full of cr@p, though, because there were some nitpicky memorization of details stuff on that test. Stupid Dormer ruining that first test for me. :mad:

So that wasn't horrible. I do think that people who say physiology's about concepts and not memorization are full of cr@p, though, because there were some nitpicky memorization of details stuff on that test. Stupid Dormer ruining that first test for me. :mad:

Man...I bit it on that one...I thought it was a nightmare.
If I don't do good on the final I'm gonna lose my summer.:thumbdown:

Man...I bit it on that one...I thought it was a nightmare.
If I don't do good on the final I'm gonna lose my summer.:thumbdown:

That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. :( It'd beat remediating anatomy. I think all you have to do is take a test, and you have all summer to study for it. Did I mention that my brother had to do that with physiology?

That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. :( It'd beat remediating anatomy. I think all you have to do is take a test, and you have all summer to study for it. Did I mention that my brother had to do that with physiology?

Did your bro go to OUHSC?
I didn't even know you had a bro...dang Mary, we just don't 'talk' no mo.
Am I just some bootycall to you?!:p

I've written Dr. Blair to ask him what my options are if I don't get a C in the class. :confused:

Now, to my wine and that temporary forgetful peace fools love.

Did your bro go to OUHSC?
I didn't even know you had a bro...dang Mary, we just don't 'talk' no mo.
Am I just some bootycall to you?!:p

I've written Dr. Blair to ask him what my options are if I don't get a C in the class. :confused:

Now, to my wine and that temporary forgetful peace fools love.

Wine sounds good! :) Yep, he went here. Honestly, it was totally not a big deal. He just had to take some lame test in the summer, and that was it.

Hey, though, you could always drop out and take up the bootycall thing full time. ;)

Wine sounds good! :) Yep, he went here. Honestly, it was totally not a big deal. He just had to take some lame test in the summer, and that was it.

Hey, though, you could always drop out and take up the bootycall thing full time. ;)

The first time I graded my exam I had missed almost every single answer ...I was like "OMG...how is this possible...WTF,,,oh ****....no no....what the heck?" and then I realized I had downloaded the exam key from block1. :laugh:

Eek. :) I think that would necessitate some booze.
It did :thumbup:

Did your bro have Dr. Blair?

I've crunched the numbers and "think" I figured out what I need to make to pass. Anyone know how much of the final is old stuff?
eg... 75%new 25%old ????

It did :thumbup:

Did your bro have Dr. Blair?

I've crunched the numbers and "think" I figured out what I need to make to pass. Anyone know how much of the final is old stuff?
eg... 75%new 25%old ????

I don't know. I'll have to ask. It was about 10 years ago, I think. For some reason, I have 30% stuck in my head for comprehensive stuff, but I have no clue why it's there. From the unofficial guide, the BRS book is supposed to be helpful, and the comprehensive questions are supposedly general, meaning that we don't have to go back and review tedious details. I'm just hoping Dr. Dormer didn't write many of them. :thumbdown: The unoffiical guide also says the material for the third exam is easier.

Okay, I just looked it up. 35 out of 110 questions on the final will be comprehensive covering the whole class including the 3rd block. So I guess about 1/3 of those 35 questions will be third block material.

I don't know. I'll have to ask. It was about 10 years ago, I think. For some reason, I have 30% stuck in my head for comprehensive stuff, but I have no clue why it's there. From the unofficial guide, the BRS book is supposed to be helpful, and the comprehensive questions are supposedly general, meaning that we don't have to go back and review tedious details. I'm just hoping Dr. Dormer didn't write many of them. :thumbdown: The unoffiical guide also says the material for the third exam is easier.
Wow...10 yrs ago...I was expecting 2 yrs ago for some reason :)

I've got the BRS...guess it's time to break it out.
F*ckin Neuro...I wasted too much time on it and now it bit me in the a*s.

I wish Dr. Blair would write me back.
And I'm HOPING we get some points back.

blah

Wow...10 yrs ago...I was expecting 2 yrs ago for some reason :)

I've got the BRS...guess it's time to break it out.
F*ckin Neuro...I wasted too much time on it and now it bit me in the a*s.

I wish Dr. Blair would write me back.
And I'm HOPING we get some points back.

blah

Well, I am old, and he's my older brother, and he went to medical school at a normal age, unlike me. :)

I guess I'll have to use my last amazon gift certificate for the BRS. If only I could buy something fun. :(

I got screwed on the last physio exam review because we got points back but not on anything I missed. :mad:

Not that it helped me much, but the BRS book is pretty handy. Believe it or not there is some neuro stuff in there too, ironically in the chapter titled, "Neurophysiology."
Dr. Blair sent me an email to let me know I skipped a question. I was hoping I just hadn't put it on my key. And I don't ALWAYS circle my answer on the exam...
I'm pretty sure it's 70-30; I heard Blair gives a narrowed focus on what to concern yourself with for the comp portion, a lot like the IMPS reading assignments. I'm hoping this is accurate.

Yeah, the full Costanza book also has a chapter on neurophys, which did actually help me a little bit for the first neuro book. Her full book is so freaking good.

So it looks like we got something back on the neuro written exam -- that grade is now posted on blackboard, and mine is about 1% higher than what I calculated. The practical grade still isn't posted (don't know if I really want to see that), neither is the exam appeals sheet or any breakdown of grades. From the blackboard gradebook, it looks like the average was an 85%.

I've got to admit I'm going to enjoy the complete lack of IMPS and PBL this test block. :thumbup:

What is the IMPS? Little medical gnomes?

Cute. :) It's Integrative Medical Problem Solving. It's this class led by Dr. Hall that meets about 4 times a year. You're divided into groups of 6 based on the alphabetical order in your mod. Before each session, you get a reading assignment, which is really just selected material from your various course syllabi. Then you show up and individually take a 10 question quiz based on the reading assignment, which is worth 30% of your grade. Then your group takes the same quiz together for 70% of your grade. After that, your various professors come up, and you talk about the quiz. Then you get presented some medical problem that's sort of based on what you're currently studying, and your group tries to work together to solve the problem -- this last part isn't worth a grade, but you have to sign up to show you're there.

The last part can be interesting and sometimes educational, but the fact that we always have IMPS when we're already really short on time makes me still resent the class. :) Also, the quiz isn't integrative at all -- it's just a compilation of questions from various classes.

What is the IMPS? Little medical gnomes?
Just you wait... I think I'm going to go ahead with writing a blog for the new MS-1's... someplace private where I can say what I really think. I expect it to be thoroughly therapeutic for me and my audience.

IMPS - inside scoop - Dr. Hall is actually an EdD and is quite a stickler. It's the only class I've ever been to in medical school where we were actually instructed to "settle down" and to "hush." For each IMPS session, you have to study (always the night before, since you'll be too busy to mess with it until then) a compressed version of one or two class syllabi sections - but, when it comes before the test, it's actually helpful (Blair's descending pathways IMPS syllabus had enough of the fluff removed that I managed to understand it without falling asleep).

Second rule is, don't be late. Nobody ever got kicked out of IMPS for being late in my class although there are copious rumors of that having happened to MS-2's but, having seen her passion for discipline, no way would I cross that lady in order to find out.

The last part can be interesting and sometimes educational, but the fact that we always have IMPS when we're already really short on time makes me still resent the class. :) Also, the quiz isn't integrative at all -- it's just a compilation of questions from various classes.
True... but I am very thankful that Dr. Blair always puts "fluff" stuff like IMPS the last week before test block - rather than giving us new lecture material up to the last second. It's much better than Leon's system of cutting off test block material ten days before the test. I know he meant well and it was probably best for us as new medical students but, like everyone I've ever talked to, I never showed up for class nor read the material that was presented after the cut-off. Which meant that, after block, you were at least a week behind in reading and going to class was useless because you weren't caught-up enough to even begin to understand what was being discussed (remember our dear friend DeAngelis?). At least this semester, when block is done, it's done. You get a nice clean start and a chance to, once again, make new resolutions (like swearing to never miss a class, which lasted precisely three days for me last block).

Not that it helped me much, but the BRS book is pretty handy. Believe it or not there is some neuro stuff in there too, ironically in the chapter titled, "Neurophysiology."
Absolutely. I found Costanzo's neurophys chapter extremely helpful. And, re: Bagel's comments on Costanzo, I focused on her text for respiratory phys almost entirely - I loathed the syllabus (and said so in my course review). That strategy was less effective for Dr. B, who insisted that you learn her opinions on where things are re-absorbed - although I still read Costanzo. And wound up loving Dr. B in spite of myself.
Dr. Blair sent me an email to let me know I skipped a question. I was hoping I just hadn't put it on my key. And I don't ALWAYS circle my answer on the exam...
Gosh! There's a good argument for marking your answer on the test copy. And poor OUJohnny, using the wrong key. If he did that at my age, he'd have a coronary - I certainly would. You know, the phys exam was hard but I thought the time limit was ridiculous - I left about a minute before the gong, and at least a third of the whole class was still in there. I can understand having a time limit to keep up the MCAT-style discipline that we'll need for Step 1, but I think more than 80% of people should be able to finish comfortably within the time limit.
I'm pretty sure it's 70-30; I heard Blair gives a narrowed focus on what to concern yourself with for the comp portion, a lot like the IMPS reading assignments. I'm hoping this is accurate.
Hoping? I'm praying that's so. I print out all the PowerPoints, etc to study with and, for each block, I have a three inch binder that is 100% stuffed full. No way do I want to have to look at three of those before the test.

Absolutely. I found Costanzo's neurophys chapter extremely helpful. And, re: Bagel's comments on Costanzo, I focused on her text for respiratory phys almost entirely - I loathed the syllabus (and said so in my course review). That strategy was less effective for Dr. B, who insisted that you learn her opinions on where things are re-absorbed - although I still read Costanzo. And wound up loving Dr. B in spite of myself.

Gosh! There's a good argument for marking your answer on the test copy. And poor OUJohnny, using the wrong key. If he did that at my age, he'd have a coronary - I certainly would. You know, the phys exam was hard but I thought the time limit was ridiculous - I left about a minute before the gong, and at least a third of the whole class was still in there. I can understand having a time limit to keep up the MCAT-style discipline that we'll need for Step 1, but I think more than 80% of people should be able to finish comfortably within the time limit.

Hoping? I'm praying that's so. I print out all the PowerPoints, etc to study with and, for each block, I have a three inch binder that is 100% stuffed full. No way do I want to have to look at three of those before the test.

Figured I'd check my email before I went to bed, look what the cat drug in!! Yeah, Dr. Blair said he looked at my exam to see if I had indicated an answer. He said it wasn't clear, which I know meant that I had prolly narrowed it down to 2 or 3 and just hadn't circled one...

I didn't find the phys to be time-pressured; I was walking back to the mod @ 10:50, but then again I didn't take time to fill out my key and write down a bunch of things. I figure I've gotta bust my ass for TB3 no matter how I did, no point in keeping a written record. Guessing on a lot of questions made the time go fast too. When everyone came back to the mod and I woke up, they were talking about having figured free water clearance. :confused: Oh well.

I put phys WAY on the back burner through dead week because of neuro, which worked out oh so ****ING well. I think what has been disconcerting about the whole thing is the discord between my perception of both how prepared I think I am and how well I feel I did, compared to the ****ing bitch of reality. Truck-stop hookers get more sleep than I do, but I'm still hoping my gpa'll be a 4.0 if I ****ing double it...

Everyone keeps saying grades don't matter, c's get MD's, boards are where it's at...I personally think it's bull****, but I hope they're right...

It came up on my overnight rotation, so I'll throw it out here: Anyone know if the neuro practical will be comprehensive??

Figured I'd check my email before I went to bed, look what the cat drug in!!
It came up on my overnight rotation, so I'll throw it out here: Anyone know if the neuro practical will be comprehensive??
LOL... yeah, I was too whacked post-block to go out to play and I got lonely for company.

My sleep is so screwed up. I didn't sleep at all the first *three* nights of block - just got a couple of hours of rest each night with the lights on so that I wouldn't go into too deep of a sleep in case I went to sleep (I didn't). I was getting scared that I would blow phys if I didn't get some rest, so after the EBM test I got a full six hours sleep by putting two blankets over the window in my bedroom - then studied all night for phys. Days and nights 100% reversed. I slept so hard Friday night that I woke up this morning and one of my fingers was actually blue because I had totally cut off the circulation to it and it hadn't woken me up. It was one of those tears, drool, and snot all over the pillow types of deep sleep (kinda like after staying up all night with a baby I would guess, Freeze!). But I still napped on and off all day. Anyhoo... I slept for a few hours last night and finally gave up a few minutes ago to make some coffee. I have to drive to Tulsa today to see my mom.

BUT - no, the neuro practical is not comprehensive, thank God. That question was asked and answered by Blair. I studied hard enough to do OK on the neuro written tests, but I didn't do too hot on the first practical and lets just say this last one was a real embarrassment (besides not having time to look at it, my broadband was down the entire weekend before neuro - I kept intending to drive in to the mod to use the puter, but it never happened). I'm going to have to do well on the TB3 neuro to make up for those practical screw-ups (I'll keep my opinions of you-know-who's specimen preparation for this practical to myself, in case my thoughts become a matter of public record).

Jeez, have you looked at the schedule? I was happy at first because we didn't have to mess with EBM or HB anymore. But I was wondering how they'd get a 5-week block into 4-weeks. By giving us 2 or more solid hours of both neuro and phys every bloody day, that's how! If we make any effort to keep up at all, this last month is gonna fly like the wind. That blinking light outside will be days going by, kids!!

Oh, and by the way (since the coffee is kicking-in and I'm back to being Chatty Cathy)... the neuro final has 120 questions, of which 85 are considered "Block 3", which works out to 70/30. However, the "comprehensive" portion also includes Block 3 stuff (what, is less detailed than the "real" TB3 questions, or what - strangely ephemeral as opposed to Dr. Blair's usual concrete style) - anyhoo, that makes it work out to 80% TB3, 20% comprehensive. Small encouragement, I know, but if Dr. Blair uses any logic, hopefully the comprehensive part will be things that are actually useful to us as physicians. E.g., my guess would be: 1) descending pathways - count on it; 2) the actual cellular arrangement of the cerebellar cortex - not so much. Which probably means that we're going to have to re-learn the brainstem nuclei and stroke stuff - where is the nearest cliff suitable for jumping in this Godforsaken flat city??

Ugh, I just don't want to relearn the arteries. I can do the nuclei, but I have a brain block when it comes to what actually supplies them. :eek: I'm going to trust Dr. Blair on the comprehensive because he said it's usually people's highest grade and that grades do go up. I might get burned, but right now I'll believe it. I agree, too, that it's really nice how get tested up to current material instead of always winding up a week or so behind after the exam. Post-test block is actually the only time when I'm not behind.

Also, yeah, this test block does seem a little too condensed in terms of material. However, the neuro stuff seems really interesting. I was looking through the schedule and was actually excited about the stuff we're going to cover -- memory, emotions, language. It's got to be better than brainstem nuclei. :)

I pretty much feel like the year is over anyway. That's probably not going to bode well for me come exam time.

Ugh, I just don't want to relearn the arteries. I can do the nuclei, but I have a brain block when it comes to what actually supplies them

I hate to tell you this, but you need to learn the arteries. Dr. Blair's going to test you over them, Dr. Holliman's going to test you over them, and Step 1's going to test you over them. They're important because you're going to see strokes all the time on the wards, and you need to be able to figure out where the stroke happened if you're dealing with deficits or predict deficits based on stroke location. It's a pain, and I struggled with them as well, but unfortunately it's going to keep coming back up so it's easier to suck it up and learn them now. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Middle Cerebral!

If it's in the brain stem... page neurosurgery/neurology!

Yeah... there was an artery section on the comprehensive portion of exam 3. There were vignettes and you had to pick out which cross-section with shaded out sections was the stroke based on the symptoms. Bottom line, Blair loves lesion questions whether it be through gray matter or the vascular system.

Middle Cerebral!

If it's in the brain stem... page neurosurgery/neurology!

Yeah... there was an artery section on the comprehensive portion of exam 3. There were vignettes and you had to pick out which cross-section with shaded out sections was the stroke based on the symptoms. Bottom line, Blair loves lesion questions whether it be through gray matter or the vascular system.

I'm actually down with lesion questions. I'd much rather answer those than whatever nitpicky tiny detail thing that O'Don chooses to ask us. I just always forget the arteries -- I guess I'll start rememorizing them this week. :(

If only Blair wrote all of our neuro tests. His questions are consistently easier than anybody else's (well at least to me), and it seems like he focuses on the more important stuff instead of the irrelevant details.

Speaking of details, the grades for the practical have also been posted on blackboard. The average was an 86.6%.

Here's hoping the hb key will be posted tomorrow.

Speaking of details, the grades for the practical have also been posted on blackboard. The average was an 86.6%.

WTF is up with test averages like an 86%???? That is f***in ridiculous.

Sigh... every time you guys hit test block seems to be the week that I feel like catching up on SDN and get slapped in the face about why I should not be looking forward to August! :( It makes me sad... and it freaks me out. That little ball of nervousness just hits me every so often, and each time it does, it just seems to be a little bit bigger... :eek:

I imagine once I am in the midst of it, it won't be quite as bad as it currently sounds, as things tend to be. What's really funny is that I read all these types of comments from the MS-1's last year and it didn't bother me at all, I just thought they were a bunch of p***ies :smuggrin: . I guess there is something different in reading as a distant observer vs. reading as someone who will be going through it soon. I'm looking forward to the day after Step 1. That will be the day I celebrate. Sleeplessness of wards = joy; sleeplessness from overstudying = hell. :thumbdown:

I'm just b****ing. I'm really okay with all of it, FYI. Just a wee bit nervous.

On the house buying comments - I think what we are most interested in is a townhouse b/c neither of us is into yard work at this point in time. Plus, according to my real estate giant of a boss, the condo market is "soft" right now (in OKC, at least), which may lead to buying low & selling high. :thumbup: I really, really like the idea of owning & paying towards owning vs. paying towards nothing. It's kinda like... why would someone lease a car? You're paying money towards nothing. Unfortunately, I know nothing whatsoever about finances or loans or down payments or anything that goes into buying a home... Neither does my S.O. Thus, confusion. I was told that buying anything less than about $75K would be a waste.

Anyways enough about me & my self-involvment. Congrats to anyone moving on the waitlists! I imagine the reason for movement is that some of the east side schools wait until March / April to let people know if they are in / out. Thus, some people are finding out that they get to go somewhere cool like New York and would rather do that than hang out in Tornado Alley (weirdos). May 15 is fast approaching, so waitlisters, take heart. News is not too far away. :luck:

I imagine once I am in the midst of it, it won't be quite as bad as it currently sounds, as things tend to be. What's really funny is that I read all these types of comments from the MS-1's last year and it didn't bother me at all, I just thought they were a bunch of p***ies :smuggrin: . I guess there is something different in reading as a distant observer vs. reading as someone who will be going through it soon. I'm looking forward to the day after Step 1. That will be the day I celebrate. Sleeplessness of wards = joy; sleeplessness from overstudying = hell. :thumbdown:

On the house buying comments - I think what we are most interested in is a townhouse b/c neither of us is into yard work at this point in time. Plus, according to my real estate giant of a boss, the condo market is "soft" right now (in OKC, at least), which may lead to buying low & selling high. :thumbup: I really, really like the idea of owning & paying towards owning vs. paying towards nothing. It's kinda like... why would someone lease a car? You're paying money towards nothing. Unfortunately, I know nothing whatsoever about finances or loans or down payments or anything that goes into buying a home... Neither does my S.O. Thus, confusion. I was told that buying anything less than about $75K would be a waste.

I think buying something is smart. You might as well have equity in something rather than throw money away on rent.

Unfortunately, I thought med school was more difficult than I anticipated. Maybe that's just me. The thing is, it never stops. Once step one is over, then you get to worry about rotations, sucking up to OB/GYN residents who give you a B no matter what you do, clerkship exams (which are usually really hard) then step 2, then residency, step 3...it just never stops. I do think as far as studying goes, it gets easier after MS 2. Just go into it with the attitude that you'll be drinking from a fire hydrant. Nearly everyone who really wants it gets through it somehow. :)

Yeah, it seems low to me too.

Yeah, we got robbed. ;)

Jwax, on a serious note, you'll be fine. It'll suck, but you'll do okay. We're (well me anyway) are just whiny and obsessive, and med school makes you totally self-absorbed about how hard you've got it. It's no harder than lots of things -- we're just more vocal. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.