University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll just quote AlteredScale so he doesn't have to post a fourth time!

Edit: I posted this long rant but have decided against it - the quote above is enough. Poor moderators...

If someone doesn't like something they are free to "block"/"ignore". If they want to have a conversation they should able to. Pretty sure bobbyjones goes to UNECOM btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If someone doesn't like something they are free to "block"/"ignore". If they want to have a conversation they should able to. Pretty sure bobbyjones goes to UNECOM btw.

Oh I totally agree. I just think it is no longer a conversation - it is mostly name calling at this point. I just find some of the comebacks rude and wanted to remind people there are nicer ways to speak to each other (on both sides). There is no need to be feeding into the supposed "trolls." I'm just going to start ignoring it at this point. Hopefully we can steer the conversation to something a little more productive that will actually help prospective students make a decision.

Anyways, I see you are a current student? Can you comment on how you are enjoying your time at UNECOM? I interviewed there and liked it immensely. Students were very friendly and seemed happy (not just student ambassadors as we got to talk to some random students studying). I mean, there are things people won't like or agree with at every school and they were pretty honest with us. How do you feel about the fairness of exams? And how much support is there for people that are struggling? Thanks! Hope that exam went well for you :)

Reactions: 1 user
ain't no dog knighting no more, you prospective students do the research before feeling buyer's remorse, good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I totally agree. I just think it is no longer a conversation - it is mostly name calling at this point. I just find some of the comebacks rude and wanted to remind people there are nicer ways to speak to each other (on both sides). There is no need to be feeding into the supposed "trolls." I'm just going to start ignoring it at this point. Hopefully we can steer the conversation to something a little more productive that will actually help prospective students make a decision.

Anyways, I see you are a current student? Can you comment on how you are enjoying your time at UNECOM? I interviewed there and liked it immensely. Students were very friendly and seemed happy (not just student ambassadors as we got to talk to some random students studying). I mean, there are things people won't like or agree with at every school and they were pretty honest with us. How do you feel about the fairness of exams? And how much support is there for people that are struggling? Thanks! Hope that exam went well for you :)

Glad you liked it here. I do as well and can for sure say that I am happy myself (I don't need bobbyjones telling me how I do or do not feel). Regarding the fairness of the exams, I actually think some of them are too easy. I wish they challenged the student's a little more with more questions that the student will have to extrapolate to find an answer. I know several students that are straight acing some of the exams or are at least very close including the comprehensive tests. It seems sometimes that if you just show up to class, pay attention, review afterwards that you are already 75% of the way there. So in my opinion the school should be raising the standards although I do understand that this is just first year so we are just building the foundation of everything to come.

And there seems to be enough support for me.
1) professors list every resource/study material you will need for the following week so you can prepare ahead of time
2) they record their lectures so you can review them again at the speed you would like
3) many professors hold extra help sessions if they feel some people in the class did not get the material right away (there were two in the last two weeks I believe)
4) there are second year tutors available every week
5) second year students put together an awesome review for the first year students right before block week (finals week) including a review of the OMKnowledge course and also for anatomy and OMM
6) the 3rd and 4th year fellows are available every Tuesday for a review in anatomy or OMM
7) professors do have hours you can go and see them in their office for questions
8) professors typically answer questions through email very quickly

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Glad you liked it here. I do as well and can for sure say that I am happy myself (I don't need bobbyjones telling me how I do or do not feel). Regarding the fairness of the exams, I actually think some of them are too easy. I wish they challenged the student's a little more with more questions that the student will have to extrapolate to find an answer. I know several students that are straight acing some of the exams or are at least very close including the comprehensive tests. It seems sometimes that if you just show up to class, pay attention, review afterwards that you are already 75% of the way there. So in my opinion the school should be raising the standards although I do understand that this is just first year so we are just building the foundation of everything to come.

1) professors list every resource/study material you will need for the following week so you can prepare ahead of time
2) they record their lectures so you can review them again at the speed you would like
3) many professors hold extra help sessions if they feel some people in the class did not get the material right away (there were two in the last two weeks I believe)
5) second year students put together an awesome review for the first year students right before block week (finals week) including a review of the OMKnowledge course and also for anatomy and OMM
6) the 3rd and 4th year fellows are available every Tuesday for a review in anatomy or OMM
7) professors do have hours you can go and see them in their office for questions

Thank you for such a thorough response! It's good to see the amount of resources available! That is the only thing I was worried about with the claims of people failing exams - I know med school is what you make of it but if the resources aren't there that just makes it ten times harder.

I mean, we've been having tests all year. Smallish ones happen every two to three weeks (which I love since its a great heads up for me not knowing something well enough without too much pressure). The people complaining only showed up within the past week or so.
how often do you have test? 2-3 weeks sounds ok?

Thank you for the info! I was accepted last week and was wondering what the integration of the USMLE exams (in addition to COMLEX) was for UNECOM. The other Osteopathic schools I've interviewed with have students take both exams but I am not seeing much mention of it in UNECOM curriculum. Super excited, just wondering.

how often do you have test? 2-3 weeks sounds ok?
We have small quizzes every Monday that test us on the basics of the stuff we're learning that week (Sort of a flipped classroom deal). Then every two or three weeks we have a test on the stuff we covered the previous two or three weeks. Then we have the big tests every month/month and a half covering everything we covered in the past month/month and a half that make up like 50% of our grade or something.

Like I said, I like the more frequent testing because it A) lets me if I don't know something well enough and B) gets you used to how the teachers write questions.

Thank you for the info! I was accepted last week and was wondering what the integration of the USMLE exams (in addition to COMLEX) was for UNECOM. The other Osteopathic schools I've interviewed with have students take both exams but I am not seeing much mention of it in UNECOM curriculum. Super excited, just wondering.

As a second year, I can answer this question. In general the school's curriculum does not teach in either OMK (basic science/pathology) or OCS (anatomy,histo,OMM) to the boards. In other words they don't teach things for the sole purpose of passing boards. The things they teach are things you need to know for boards, but there are also things they don't teach that you need to know for boards. My understanding is that the school's motto is "We teach you how to become good doctors, not to pass an exam". This is why i think the OCS component has simulated patient interactions to help you be professional and work on communication skills with patients. In terms of COMLEX, you have to take it in order to graduate from a DO school. They don't push anyone to take USMLE as well, but I think people do depending on their current field of interest. Summer before second year you get Kaplan prep course which is included in your school fees to help you get started on studying for boards. The exams in second year are currently being adjusted to resemble board style questions so that will help us prepare as well. There is time to study on your own for boards, but there are also mostly mandatory lectures which take away a lot of time as well. But with our feedback the curriculum and scheduling may change year to year so who knows what the schedule will be like for 2nd years next year. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
As a second year, I can answer this question. In general the school's curriculum does not teach in either OMK (basic science/pathology) or OCS (anatomy,histo,OMM) to the boards. In other words they don't teach things for the sole purpose of passing boards. The things they teach are things you need to know for boards, but there are also things they don't teach that you need to know for boards. My understanding is that the school's motto is "We teach you how to become good doctors, not to pass an exam". This is why i think the OCS component has simulated patient interactions to help you be professional and work on communication skills with patients. In terms of COMLEX, you have to take it in order to graduate from a DO school. They don't push anyone to take USMLE as well, but I think people do depending on their current field of interest. Summer before second year you get Kaplan prep course which is included in your school fees to help you get started on studying for boards. The exams in second year are currently being adjusted to resemble board style questions so that will help us prepare as well. There is time to study on your own for boards, but there are also mostly mandatory lectures which take away a lot of time as well. But with our feedback the curriculum and scheduling may change year to year so who knows what the schedule will be like for 2nd years next year. Hope that helps.
Hey thanks for your input. I just have a follow up question: how much time does the school set aside for board prep? I've heard during my interview there were no "breaks." Can you confirm? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for your input. I just have a follow up question: how much time does the school set aside for board prep? I've heard during my interview there were no "breaks." Can you confirm? Thanks.

To my knowledge the school doesn't set aside time specifically for board prep. We basically have classes and exams up until mid may. Our current schedule allows us free time on Tuesdays and Thursdays since we only have 2 hrs of class on each day and sometimes clinical experience scheduled. Majority of the class then takes boards by early/mid June. There is no dedicated time off during the academic year because we are expected to study during the year which can be challenging, but what most of my colleagues have realized is that if you study for boards, then studying for an OMK exam is not much more work and you can still perform in the 80+ range. But we still have clinical correlates with OCS such as student clinic and clinical skills exams.

Any movement recently? Seems like this time last year was around the time of the last IIs

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can someone please post the 2016 match list?

A little birdie gave it to me :)[

QUOTE="NNFlowerz, post: 18716729, member: 695052"]Can someone please post the 2016 match list?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• PGY1 for Class of 2016.pdf
    426.6 KB · Views: 247
How do you guys feel about the match list? Is it considered good or average?

Jumping in here after it looks like I missed a lot of drama. Before I interviewed here I had a VERY long and in-depth talk with a current student about nearly every aspect of the school and it's definitely my top choice. I'm on the waitlist and this is pretty much my dream school despite of everything that's been said. If you're sitting on an acceptance and debating between schools, you'd be making someone ecstatic by declining here if you don't feel as solid as I do.

Reactions: 2 users
Question ---- are there any current students with tattoos are their arms/shoulders/ that can speak to if this gets an bad stereotype here? Especially with the OMM classes having more skin showing? I also noticed that they ask about tattoos on the health information form. Is this used against you in anyway?

Question ---- are there any current students with tattoos are their arms/shoulders/ that can speak to if this gets an bad stereotype here? Especially with the OMM classes having more skin showing? I also noticed that they ask about tattoos on the health information form. Is this used against you in anyway?

I've asked several current students this, and everybody has basically told me that plenty of people have tattoos/piercings and that the campus is pretty liberal and laid back in that regard. I only have one tattoo that should show while wearing a short sleeved shirt, but both my legs are covered in tattoos so I had similar questions/concerns as you. Luckily it doesn't appear to be an issue!

I've asked several current students this, and everybody has basically told me that plenty of people have tattoos/piercings and that the campus is pretty liberal and laid back in that regard. I only have one tattoo that should show while wearing a short sleeved shirt, but both my legs are covered in tattoos so I had similar questions/concerns as you. Luckily it doesn't appear to be an issue!

Good to know. Thanks for asking.

Can current students comment on whether Osteoblast is worth attending? What can I expect during this event?

Tats are a complete non-issue. Some of us have them, some don't. No one I know cares one way or the other. I think I've seen tats on students everywhere except directly on the face.
Can current students comment on whether Osteoblast is worth attending? What can I expect during this event?
I didn't go, but the people I know went liked it. Seems like it was a good time to meet folks.

Osteoblast is basically like an open house where it allows you to meet future classmates and learn more about the school. They generally go over the curriculum, financial aid, scheduling, what OMM is like and Concept Mapping tutorial (basically something you will have to do once a week for the entire year). Thats how it was in the past, since I was on the committee last year, so it should gnerally stay the same

Just as an FYI...I interviewed on 3/9/17 in the morning session and in the interview they said that their class is full. So it's either Waitlisted or Rejection post-interview. Just wanted to spread the word...

Just as an FYI...I interviewed on 3/9/17 in the morning session and in the interview they said that their class is full. So it's either Waitlisted or Rejection post-interview. Just wanted to spread the word...

Do you know if they're still interviewing/when the last day is?

Do you know if they're still interviewing/when the last day is?

Not a clue! But as we were walking to the room, one of my interviewers mentioned that they were "wrapping up the interview season." That could mean just about anything though haha Wish I had more specifics to relay.

Not a clue! But as we were walking to the room, one of my interviewers mentioned that they were "wrapping up the interview season." That could mean just about anything though haha Wish I had more specifics to relay.

Lol no worries. Thank you!!!

I was there the same day, in the morning session. Did someone who actually interviewed you say that? Because if they hinted at it during that presentation they gave to all of us I totally missed it.

Interviewed last week of February and WL 3/17.

Good luck to everyone!

I was there the same day, in the morning session. Did someone who actually interviewed you say that? Because if they hinted at it during that presentation they gave to all of us I totally missed it.

Yes, one of my interviewers told me that at the conclusion of the interview. You weren't missing anything--they didn't mention it during the welcome presentation nor did they say anything about it on the tour.

How large is each class? Apparently there are ~187 students in the Class of 2021 group and 124 graduates according to the 2016 Match list. Does that mean ~60 students either drop out or decline their offers?

How large is each class? Apparently there are ~187 students in the Class of 2021 group and 124 graduates according to the 2016 Match list. Does that mean ~60 students either drop out or decline their offers?

Hi Noodles,
No, they've just increased the class size over the years, it used to be smaller (around 120-130) like for the class of 2016, but they've upped the size of the classes in the last three years, and increased the number of seats.

Has UNECOM released any official data in regard of matching this year?

I think there are some current students in the group too.

Just got off the waitlist, interviewed 1/17. There is definitely still hope guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off the waitlist this morning! Interviewed early Feb

I've been accepted elsewhere, so it's no biggie, but is it weird that I never heard anything one way or the other from this school after submitting my secondary?

Accepted today!
Interview 1/25, waitlist 2/23
STILL MOVEMENT

Awesome to see waitlist is moving! Congrats to all who have been accepted!

Last edited:
Just curious if everyone given an acceptance here is going to take it?