University of Montana- Skaggs CoP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VaMountainRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to UM for this fall? Any past/ current students have any advice for application, interviewing, or any thoughts on the school itself? I am from the east coast and have never been to MT, but the school looks outstanding and I love the idea of being in the mountains, snowy winters, and a smaller school.

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying for this fall! I hope being out of state doesn't mess with my chances to get in!

I am not applying here but I did live in Montana for 10 years and I will say it is a beautiful state that really has a lot to offer. From winter sports to four seasons I would live there again if given the chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying for this fall! I hope being out of state doesn't mess with my chances to get in!

I am hoping for the same. Have you sent everything in yet? Where did you complete your 60 hrs? Where are you from?

I am not applying here but I did live in Montana for 10 years and I will say it is a beautiful state that really has a lot to offer. From winter sports to four seasons I would live there again if given the chance.

Thanks for the advice. Where are you applying? Ever been to Missoula?

No problem. I have lived in Texas for a decade so I'm staying put. I have been there many times. It has that small college town feel to it but nonetheless is a beautiful area.

I am hoping for the same. Have you sent everything in yet? Where did you complete your 60 hrs? Where are you from?

I have pretty much finished the application i just have to add a few things here and there. I am from Miami, FL so i did my 60 hrs in a Publix Supermarkets pharmacy.

I have seen the successful applicant stats on the school's website, but I fear they hold out-of-state students to a MUCH higher standard. I know this is somewhat typical, but does anyone have any insight to what they may be looking for from out-of-state students as far as GPA, PCAT, etc? Any current UM students come from out-of-state want to shine a little light? Any comments are welcome! Thanks

Can any one shares their statistics for those who have been call for interview for fall 2013.Thanks

Can any one shares their statistics for those who have been call for interview for fall 2013.Thanks

I don't know if interviews have even been given out yet i don't think they start looking at applicants till the 15th of February... But I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you guys gonna be looking for apartments or staying on campus? Assuming we get in.

So are you guys gonna be looking for apartments or staying on campus? Assuming we get in.

Not really sure. I'm hoping to get a chance to interview, and then do a little searching when I'm there. That's a question I will definitely ask one of the current students. It's tough figuring out living arrangements when you live 2600 miles away! What about you?

Not really sure. I'm hoping to get a chance to interview, and then do a little searching when I'm there. That's a question I will definitely ask one of the current students. It's tough figuring out living arrangements when you live 2600 miles away! What about you?

Ive always seen that living in an apartment with a roommate or two is cheaper than staying on campus.. But I've never lived in the snow and I'm assuming it snows there quite a lot so Im guessing on campus living might be better due to not having to drive in heavy snow. But which ever is cheaper will probably be my choice because the tickets to fly back home are so expensive!!

Ive always seen that living in an apartment with a roommate or two is cheaper than staying on campus.. But I've never lived in the snow and I'm assuming it snows there quite a lot so Im guessing on campus living might be better due to not having to drive in heavy snow. But which ever is cheaper will probably be my choice because the tickets to fly back home are so expensive!!

Snow doesn't bother me, but it all depends on what you are used to and what you drive! Have you booked a flight for a potential interview? Looking at flights from here it is going to be $600-900! :(

Snow doesn't bother me, but it all depends on what you are used to and what you drive! Have you booked a flight for a potential interview? Looking at flights from here it is going to be $600-900! :(

My car now is FWD so thats not that great for snow.. On the other hand my lease is up in january and was looking into a Subaru which is AWD and yea tickets for me go upwards of 900 -_-

I'm flying from arizona and I got a round trip flight for $250 through allegiant. I grew up in Missoula and I go back there a couple times per year. Allegiant and Alaska airlines are always the cheapest for me, usually I can find a flight for $300 or less. Also the snow isn't that bad there and they're really good about keeping the roads clear. FWD cars do very well, the weight from the engine in the front gives them good traction.

My car now is FWD so thats not that great for snow.. On the other hand my lease is up in january and was looking into a Subaru which is AWD and yea tickets for me go upwards of 900 -_-

AWD is nice but doesn't do much in measurable snows... I have a jeep, but I am dreading driving it the 2600+ miles to MT from VA. Might be cheaper to ship it due to gas prices :-/

AWD is nice but doesn't do much in measurable snows... I have a jeep, but I am dreading driving it the 2600+ miles to MT from VA. Might be cheaper to ship it due to gas prices :-/

Yea i can see where your coming from. Did you get the email now? I still haven't gotten anything..

The email was from 3/1/13, but somehow I just received/found it... Thanks

Damn im still waiting i guess... I sent my application late so so i might be at the end of the list. You live in VA? Did you apply to the three year program appalachian college has?

Damn im still waiting i guess... I sent my application late so so i might be at the end of the list. You live in VA? Did you apply to the three year program appalachian college has?

I did indeed. Just got the email confirmation that they received the app via pharmcas... i turned my pharmcas in early february and it took until feb. 28 for them to calculate the gpa and send it to the schools. Where else did you apply?

I did indeed. Just got the email confirmation that they received the app via pharmcas... i turned my pharmcas in early february and it took until feb. 28 for them to calculate the gpa and send it to the schools. Where else did you apply?

South university - still waiting
Howard University - interview the 23
Appalachian - still waiting
Montana - still waiting
UF - still waiting
Nova - still waiting

How about you?

South university - still waiting
Howard University - interview the 23
Appalachian - still waiting
Montana - still waiting
UF - still waiting
Nova - still waiting

How about you?

Shenandoah U- waiting
Appalachian- waiting
Montana- interviewing 3/16

I was originally applying to 8 schools, but narrowed it down to 3... saved a ton of $$ in application/pharmcas fees!

Yea i was just so worried that with my stats i wasn't gonna get in i applied a ton of places :/

Yea i was just so worried that with my stats i wasn't gonna get in i applied a ton of places :/

I understand completely. I'm just to the point where I am not going to go anywhere just for the sake of getting in. Too important! I really liked UFlorida, but couldn't swing $50k/year for out-of-state!!

I understand completely. I'm just to the point where I am not going to go anywhere just for the sake of getting in. Too important! I really liked UFlorida, but couldn't swing $50k/year for out-of-state!!

Yea i understand, luckily for me UF is in state but regardless i don't think my stats will get me in.. Hahaha im gonna call Appalachian and Montana today just to see what they tell me.

My daughter is going there. She loves it. She just had her interview for the Pharm D program. We are from Washington State. As soon as we visited she just felt right there. Get involved when you get there. Everyone is real nice and the whole community is very supportive of the school. Great place to go!

I am happy to say that I was accepted! Anyone else hear good/bad news? Im still not 100% sure where I will be attending, but Montana is winning as of now!

I am happy to say that I was accepted! Anyone else hear good/bad news? Im still not 100% sure where I will be attending, but Montana is winning as of now!

I was accepted as well! I am interviewing at one more school, but as of now UM is tops!! Good luck to everyone!

Anyone attending UM in the fall? If so, where are you going to live? Any current residents have any suggestions? Thanks...

Anyone attending UM in the fall? If so, where are you going to live? Any current residents have any suggestions? Thanks...

I'm still not 100% sure, but I would say I'm >90% that I wil be! I've just browsed online so far and before I really pick anything I need to assess how much /mo I'm willing to spend and actually go look at places in person. If you find something the stands out (great location/price) let me know!

I'm considering applying to live in the villages on campus for at least the first year. Utilities paid and close to campus is a big plus. Unfortunately I live too far away to see any places firsthand. Let me know what you find. Thanks!

Hi,
I'll be attending the PharmD program at the University of Montana next fall. I've been living in Missoula for 4 years having moved from western Washington. It's great to read about people being accepted! If you have any questions about living arrangements, or tips and advice about going to school in Missoula at UM, please let me know! I'll do my best to answer your questions. Thanks and enjoy your day!

Hi, living in Missoula is pretty easy. You can get from campus to the other side of town in 15 minutes maximum when traffic is 'bad'. (Having grown up in the Seattle Area, what they call congestion here is a bit funny.) Usually, you can get to where you want to be in 10 minutes or less. Although be prepared to be confused by the streets in Missoula, they seem like they should be really easy to navigate but somehow they are confusing as all get out... So distance probably wont be too much of an issue, Lolo, MT is about 15-20 minutes south of town and you can get more house or apartment for the monthly rent, but there is a small commute.
If you aren't planning on bringing your car though, take a look at - http://www.mountainline.com/ - the local transit website. University students ride for free and the buses can handle bikes. Try to find an apartment on a route that leads to the university and look at the schedule to see if you think the times will work for you. (The bus system here is somewhat lacking in terms of hours, but it gets the job done.)
Or you can bike everywhere, it's a bike friendly town. With a large network of trails and bike lanes that lead to campus. See an interactive map here: http://www.arcgis.com/explorer/?open=98ea6842816b487d9fa1c28ea8f1fdbf
Just remember that the closer you get to campus, the more expensive rent will be. I pay $400/mo to live ~18 blocks away. Finally, start to look early to mid summer. It gets hard to find a place the closer August gets. Finally, I've never lived in UM dorms or any of their housing, so I can't answer much about that! Oh gosh, just let me know if you have anything else to ask! Enjoy your weekend!

Resources:
http://www.ci.missoula.mt.us/ - City Website
www.co.missoula.mt.us - County Website

I went to UM for pre-pharmacy (and was accepted there for Pharmacy). The dorms are not bad. If you want to live in a decent dorm, Miller Hall is decent. The benefit to living on campus is the close proximity to the school and gym. The one complaint I had was that the fire alarm tended to go off at 4 am during finals week. Also, the dining hall leaves a lot to be desired some days. Other than that, not too many issues. If you have questions, drop me a line!