University of Mississippi c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations!!!!!!

:hardy:

I knew you would get in here. I guess you'll not be going to Maine now, uh?

Thanks. The thing is that I have booked my airfare and hotel for Maine already, so I might as well just visit Maine. Maine sounds nice, but then again Mississippi has a well-established program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, this is great, everyone got in. Congratulations to both of you.

Wow, this is great, everyone got in. Congratulations to both of you.

Thanks! :):hardy::soexcited:

What are you going to do to celebrate.. and are u going to make Ole Miss your top choice now?:)

I'll have to think about that. I still have 2 more prereqs to take for Ole Miss, while I'm pretty much done with my prereqs for all the other schools I've been offered interviews at. Out of all schools I've been, Ole Miss has the nicest campus. When I was there, I felt like I was walking in a small town which I thought was nice. I also like the fact that I had a chance to talk to Dr. Wilson in his office afterwards to discuss things about grades/transcript issues or even some side stuff.

Well originally, any school in CA would be my first choice because I wanted to stay close to home but now I know that won't happen because I have gotten rejected to all except for one. I have an interview coming up for Belmont and New England next week, so I'll have to check them out first before deciding.

Isn't Ole Miss cheaper then the private schools, even out of state? I think the living cost would definitely be lower in Oxford, MS versus Maine or Nashville. Can you establish in-state residence after one year? How will you take bioethics and medical microbiology? I don't even know schools that offer bioethics. Have you figured out where/how you will take those before matriculation?

I would say go to Ole Miss. Also, I think there is a real shortage of pharmacists in Mississippi, unlike these areas getting saturated due to too many schools opening up. So I think there will be a need. I have been to Jackson before. It is nice except for one area near the downtown. The airport is very small in Jackson, and it reminds me of where I was from in Florida in the mid 1980s before more people started moving there! I don't know about Oxford, but I liked Jackson.

Congratulations!! I thought it was rare for someone with lower stats to get into an out-of-state public school, but you did it!!!

So they pulled you guys off the alternate list?

So they pulled you guys off the alternate list?

Yea. I heard 5 seats were still open, so I assume they pulled 5 people from the alternate list. So, you're probably #8 now and you're getting closer to the top. I'm guessing that the chance for those who got provisionally accepted to decline their acceptances (assuming that they're going to complete all prereqs prior to matriculation) is slim because they want to stay in MS. But then again who knows, some may not complete them on time so several spots may open up later on.

As for right now, I'm still having a tough time working out on my 2 prereqs that I need to complete before coming to MS. I found medical microbio up at Berkeley and out near the Mojave Desert/Barstow area, so I don't know if I want to commute or spend my summer up there or not. Cdpiano, I haven't looked at the tuition yet but I assume they're cheaper than CA schools with my nonresident status in MS.

Could you move to Ole Miss during the summer and take the two courses there? I think they would be offered at the same school when so many of the students went to Ole Miss for undergrad. Have you talked to the pharmacy committee about this? I think you can talk more now to people at the school since you have been accepted. If it is tough registering, I think the pharmacy school should be able to assist you on getting into those classes during the summer. You have already been accepted out-of-state. Those are very unusual prerequisites and not offered at many large state schools. If not, tell them that you have made every effort to register for those courses, and after all, you are in one of the most populous states (CA), with many, many schools. And then see if you can take make up those classes while you are in matriculation. This is utterly ridiculous. They take very few out-of-state students and now you have been let in!! Is Bioethics offered during the summer at those two schools as well?

Congrats to everybody who got in!

I was out of state and did my pre-reqs at a cc. It's funny. All the schools in my home state rejected me for 3 years in a row. I really wanted to stay in my home state. Last year, I included about a dozen out of state schools and got into two. One was a new school, and of course the other, Ole Miss.

There are about 104 in my class. I'm not sure how many of those were early admission.

Applying for the Pharm D. program is just a formality because it's considred a different program (2yrs) after completing the first two years and getting the BSPS. You just have to maintain at least a 2.75 GPA for each year.

I would call and ask if those pre-reqs you needed were being offered during the summer at Ole Miss.

The cost of living is a lot cheaper compared to CA and some other states. However, compared to other places in MS, some folks say it can be expensive living here (They've obviously never lived outside the state!).

You'll absolutely love Saturdays in the Fall. The Grove is the best! There's nothing like it in college sports.

Hotty Toddy!!

OleMiss2012

Congrats to everybody who got in!

I was out of state and did my pre-reqs at a cc. It's funny. All the schools in my home state rejected me for 3 years in a row. I really wanted to stay in my home state. Last year, I included about a dozen out of state schools and got into two. One was a new school, and of course the other, Ole Miss.

There are about 104 in my class. I'm not sure how many of those were early admission.

Applying for the Pharm D. program is just a formality because it's considred a different program (2yrs) after completing the first two years and getting the BSPS. You just have to maintain at least a 2.75 GPA for each year.

I would call and ask if those pre-reqs you needed were being offered during the summer at Ole Miss.

The cost of living is a lot cheaper compared to CA and some other states. However, compared to other places in MS, some folks say it can be expensive living here (They've obviously never lived outside the state!).

You'll absolutely love Saturdays in the Fall. The Grove is the best! There's nothing like it in college sports.

Hotty Toddy!!

OleMiss2012

What state are you originally from?

As for right now, I'm still having a tough time working out on my 2 prereqs that I need to complete before coming to MS. I found medical microbio up at Berkeley and out near the Mojave Desert/Barstow area, so I don't know if I want to commute or spend my summer up there or not.

may I ask which schools they are ?

Members don't see this ad :)

Hotty Toddy!!

OleMiss2012

May I ask if you are living on campus ? Could you tell me more about students' life over there ? I am so excited but kind of nervous because I have never lived outside of CA nor lived on campus :rolleyes:

may I ask which schools they are ?

Berkeley Extension is at Berkeley and the Desert...I forgot the name of the college, but I thought it's from that area. Either way, they are both far from the OC so I don't know if I can manage to commute to the desert every single day or even find a place to rent during the summer. I'm so worried about Medical Microbiology though. From there, I can try to work things out.

Based on the posts, I think I know who you are. ;)

Berkeley Extension is at Berkeley and the Desert...I forgot the name of the college, but I thought it's from that area. Either way, they are both far from the OC so I don't know if I can manage to commute to the desert every single day or even find a place to rent during the summer. I'm so worried about Medical Microbiology though. From there, I can try to work things out.

Based on the posts, I think I know who you are. ;)

what do you mean ? :confused:

what do you mean ? :confused:

I meant that you're probably one of my friends on facebook who's totally concern about finding the same 2 classes in CA. If you're not, I apologize for making a wrong guess. :D

For those who have gotten accepted for the Regular Entry, do we have to place in a deposit? I don't remember seeing this anywhere in my email acceptance letter, but I just want to make sure.

They're going to calculate our admission scores again. Sigh...I just hope they don't reject me after seeing my unofficial transcripts for winter and spring. I hope a couple of B's won't hurt.

I have not been visiting the forums for a while now, but...
congratulations to you all! cinnamoroll, you seem to be one of the few very fortunate ones!
timtimtim, there are on-campus apartments if you so choose. They seem to house the more mature students, as well as married couples, etc. Otherwise, off-campus living is desirable as well.

Yea, I'm looking for a place to live in the fall too. Assuming that I think I know who timtimtim is, we're thinking of finding a place to live on campus since we really don't know anyone in MS or anywhere nearby campus.

Acid11 (or anyone), what are the apartment complexes that you recommend that's close to campus? I kind of glanced over the Housing webpage and I thought they typically house freshmen/sophomores and it doesn't seem like they offer housing for graduate students. How about transportation around the Oxford area?

you are right. Most of the dorms on campus house freshmen. However there's on campus apartments, like I said, that house older, more mature students (few grads). They're not that nice, in my opinion, but you may find them to be nicer than I think they are. Just look into them.
Also, they're finishing construction on a new resident hall that seems to have all the bells and whistles. It is on campus, has its own eatery, study areas, and seems to tend more to responsible students...partly because students who wanna live there must submit an application to a committee. It's also more expensive than all the other on-campus residence halls. There is a website somewhere...
The TRUTH is that a vast majority of grad students here at Ole Miss tend to live off campus. How close do you want to be to campus? And will you have a vehicle?? Do you also have a budget??

Kevin

I'm not sure if I'm going to bring my car or not. I didn't remember seeing any buses running around when I was there for the Applicant Day, but then again I didn't explore the area much. If there is absolutely no mass transportation system, then I guess I'll bring a car then. Oh yea, when I said close to campus, I meant any apartment complex that is within walking distance to campus.

Good news,
The city of Oxford implemented a public transportation program last year. Its called "Get on OUT" and there are buses circulating around town. It's now taking shape as more and more people are utilizing it. I don't know if it will maintain or grow in the future, as that depends on whether or not enough people of oxford use the public trans. I think it's great because we're becoming more modernized and being proactive in a sense.
So, it is possible to do without a car. Just know all the bus stops and you should be fine.
There are apartment complexes within walking distance to campus. These are campus walk apartments, campus creek apartments (by my standard, more acceptable because I lived there and thought it was nicer than campus walk). You could easily bike or walk(takes much longer) to campus from these areas. Also, there are lots of individual-owned condos, apts, etc near campus. These you will have to seek for yourself via online, cruising these areas, etc.
JUst remember that it gets up to near 100 degrees with 80% humidity in the summer sometimes :). Winters are sometimes weird too, being freezing, windy, miserable on any given day. I'm still not used to it because I hailed from the Gulf Coast.
I hope this helps, cinnamoroll.

Just got my letter today, I'm in! Ole Miss here I come!

Just got my letter today, I'm in! Ole Miss here I come!

Congrats on getting pulled off from the alternate list! I haven't heard about my status change, so hopefully that's good news.

Thanks Acid for the info. I'll definitely look into the Campus Creek Apartments.

Congrats on getting pulled off from the alternate list! I haven't heard about my status change, so hopefully that's good news.

Thanks Acid for the info. I'll definitely look into the Campus Creek Apartments.

Yeah, Campus Creek are really nice...that's where I'm living next year.

When I was there, I thought Oxford is a nice little town that looks relatively safe. I just want to ask a question (since I'm totally a safety-freak), how about crimes in the Oxford area? I was at Captain D's on the night before my actual interview day, and I picked up a newspaper (I think it was the Daily Mississippian) and read an article about an attempted kidnapping on campus.

to cin: Hi S :D

to Acid11: thanks a lot for the information. I have just checked out the Campus Creek and Campus Walk apartments website. They are cheap and look good. However, the C.Creek's reviews are terrible :scared: C.Walk's sound better. Anyways, do you know any off campus apartments? Thanks

to all accepted: Congrat everyone :claps: Hope to see you all this Fall (hopefully my status won't change). Why don't we find some place to live all together? :D

I think Campus Walk and Campus Creek are the closest apartment complexes from campus (0.3 mi). Another one that I found is Sterling University Terrace, which is 1/2 mile away from campus and they offer shuttle service to/from campus, Walmart, and home football games.

Do any of you guys know the dress code during school hours? Can we wear whatever we want or does it have to be professional dress? Haha, I'm starting to shop for my new wardrobe for pharmacy school.

I just declined my spot, so hopefully the next person gets pulled off from the alternate list soon. I would have moved to MS in a couple of weeks if I were to attend Ole Miss, but too bad I won't be seeing you guys then. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck in the upcoming school year! :luck:

For those who will go to Olemiss this Fall: where will you plan to stay? and when will you come to Oxford.

I plan to fly to Memphis Airport on Aug 11. Do any of you guys want to rent a car together with me to drive to Oxford?

For those who will go to Olemiss this Fall: where will you plan to stay? and when will you come to Oxford.

I plan to fly to Memphis Airport on Aug 11. Do any of you guys want to rent a car together with me to drive to Oxford?

I assume a majority will drive from south of MS, and that there will not be too many out-of-state people coming to Oxford.

I just declined my spot, so hopefully the next person gets pulled off from the alternate list soon. I would have moved to MS in a couple of weeks if I were to attend Ole Miss, but too bad I won't be seeing you guys then. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck in the upcoming school year! :luck:

You traitor!!:D LOL. Just kidding, but congrats on getting into other schools and hope everything works out for you at Midwestern U!!